Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,237 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
Hagen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, that will get hyped like crazy and then will fall flat.
96AgGrad
AG
Yup. No way live action could live up to the anime.
amercer
AG
I mean, it could be good if it had a 100 million dollar budget, was on HBO, and had a Nolan brother directing.

But since that's not happening, yes it's going to suck.
amercer
AG
Watched this the other night on Netflix

It wasn't terrible
jabberwalkie09
AG
It's one of the better CGI animes I've seen. I'd give it a go if you're looking for something quick.
YouBet
AG
Started watching Attack the Titan this week. Weird as sh^t but I'm hooked.
spanky
AG
Has anybody seen Your Name.? Is it worth it to take a 10 year old to the subtitled version or should I just wait for the dubbed version to come out on video?
hunter2012
AG
if heard of it, but I havent seen it. i myself watch dubs, subs take my eyes away from watching the show if im reading thw whole time. besides the languages have different inflections, tones, meanings, etc... so subs arent going to be perfect anyway. So why not wait for the dub?
spanky
AG
theater experience I guess is the only reason
jabberwalkie09
AG
spanky said:

Has anybody seen Your Name.? Is it worth it to take a 10 year old to the subtitled version or should I just wait for the dubbed version to come out on video?

Your Name kind of relies on some cultural references (shrine rituals and longing for city life) that might fall flat for someone of that age.

I watched a subbed version of it and while I thought it was good, I think you end up missing out on the beauty of the animation because of all the reading you have to do. Between the character stuff that's written and everything that's said, I might go with the dubbed. However, having seen both the voice acting by the Japanese cast might be slightly better than the American cast imo, and from what I've read the English adaptation/translation is pretty decent.

I don't think you can go wrong either way though.
hunter2012
AG
spanky said:

ah, well shoot go for it.

I would have liked to have seen SAO Ordinal Scale in theaters but I think I already went through...
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

spanky said:

ah, well shoot go for it.

I would have liked to have seen SAO Ordinal Scale in theaters but I think I already went through...

Yep, I missed out on the SAO movie too. I would have like to have seen it in theaters.

I did go see the original Ghost in the Shell movie when they ran it through theaters earlier this year. It was pretty awesome to see on screen.
spanky
AG
Both my 9 and 10 year old really liked the movie despite the subs. I agree with others on all points mentioned. They did well with the complicated stuff, but I'm sure the dubbed version will be much easier to follow. Subs definitely distract from the beautiful visuals. Really nice movie though.
jabberwalkie09
hunter2012
Olsen
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
So Castlevania came out Friday, and I finished the first season tonight which consists of 4 episodes. I say first season, because Netflix already renewed it for an eight episode second season.

I think it was alright, if a little slow. I never played the video games so I knew nothing going in, but if you're looking for something short I'd give Castlevania a watch.
SeattleAgJr
used to love anime in all sorts of forms when I was younger.

now I cannot stand it and the art style of most of it grates on my nerves, eyeballs and brain.
HeadGames
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

used to love anime in all sorts of forms when I was younger.

now I cannot stand it and the art style of most of it grates on my nerves, eyeballs and brain.

You're just a crotchety old man now.
HeadGames
AG
Had the same take. I was D isappointed it was only 4 episodes. Thought it was ok.
jabberwalkie09
AG
HeadGames said:

Had the same take. I was D isappointed it was only 4 episodes. Thought it was ok.
I kind of expected some more Dracula given the tone of the first episode, but by the end of the fourth episode I get why there probably wasn't. Which brings up one of my gripes, the season ended right before it was about to get really interesting.
amercer
AG
OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME WHY DID THEY ONLY MAKE FOUR EPISODES!?!?!?!

Ahem, so I liked Castlevania and I would like more of it. Also, I'm pretending it's the Hellsing anime backstory....
M.C. Swag
AG
Castlevania was...not good. Boring AF, awkward pacing, and I hated Trevor Belmont. Good luck to them the rest of the way, I won't be watching season 2.
PatAg
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

that doesn't look good
getme
hunter2012 said:

carter4133 said:

Crunchy
Funi
Netlflix
Prime
Prime + amazon strike

What is best and why?

Netflix, funi covers most of the popular ones out there. Also don't forget adultswim.com as they stream practically every anime they've shown on Cartoon Network. I'm not a fan of crunchyroll just because I tend to watch only dubs so they don't have much to offer me.

Also, I have a prime membership so I need to check out Amazon strike.
Check out vrv you get Crunchyroll and Funimation along with lots of other content for $10 a month.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Just saw that season 2 of Seven Deadly Sins, not more ova's from what I understand, should be premiering in Japan sometime January 2018. Which if I had to guess means we will see it sometime in the summer. There is also supposed to be a movie coming as well.
HeadGames
AG
It's a movie and episodes? I was informed it will just be a movie. Was hoping to get more than just a movie. I really need to find a new anime to watch...
jabberwalkie09
AG
HeadGames said:

It's a movie and episodes? I was informed it will just be a movie. Was hoping to get more than just a movie. I really need to find a new anime to watch...

To my understanding, it's both. The season come January and the movie in the summer. But I could have misunderstood.

Wrong emoji...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Coming in 2018..... It's time to lock the doors and get as high as a ****ing kite as FLCL season 2 and 3 are coming. So grab your shrooms and LSD and get ready for the craziness.

HeadGames
AG
Wow, two seasons? That's cool, I knew there was going to be a second, the third is what surprised me. Haha.

Fooly Cooly
jabberwalkie09
AG

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (FMP IV, which is the fourth series) drops in Spring 2018 in Japan.
hunter2012
AG
any Berserk fans here? Seemed relevant today:

hunter2012
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (FMP IV, which is the fourth series) drops in Spring 2018 in Japan.

fumoffu(season 2) was some of the funniest tv I've seen in any media format, lets hope season 4 doesn't take itself too seriously.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I have a feeling it will be like The Second Raid given that the antagonist looks to be Tessa's brother Leonard, who is deeply involved in Amalgam. Some light hearted bits, but probably with some serious tones in it. Given what I said in the spoiler bit, it's not going to be as goofy as Fumoffu.

I actually finished up re-watching the series again. Still a great watch.
hunter2012
AG
Figured ya'll might enjoy this:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.