Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,207 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Seven Deadly Sins latest season (24 episodes) is now on Netflix. Apparently Netflix has subtitled the season as the revival of the 10 commandments.
My friends keep pushing me to watch this and My Hero Academia. I suppose I'll check them out at some point if I keep hearing good stuff about them.

I finished Iron Blooded Orphans, I liked everything but the ending, killing the two leaders and McGillis out of nowhere just because the show is winding down didn't settle right. They spend the whole series depicting Gallerhorn as a corrupted entity and end up having them win and then easily changed via reforms. Maybe their shallow deaths was an intended plot point, but it was still unsettling.

PSA the simuldub for Steins;Gate 0 ends today, I'm debating if I want to rewatch the series in the new "chronological" order or see the final episode first. If you don't want to know the order I'll use spoiler tags: Original episodes 1-22---> 23beta episode---> 0 series---> original episodes 23-25--->Movie

Also if your looking for something new, I found one called Overlord that is rather entertaining. It's setup similar to SAO where a guy gets trapped in a game, but instead of trying to escape he tries to takeover the game world. It's entertaining because he's just an obsessed gaming nerd but the NPCs think he's the greatest overpowered supreme being. I think there's 3 seasons now so it seems pretty stable(no premature cancellation). Oddly I think the NPCs are the more interesting characters in the show and the main character seems to be largely comic relief. Though I'm only a few episodes in so far so it might just be setup.
hunter2012
AG
who the hell do you think I am?!
jabberwalkie09
AG
I hear ya on IBO. Honestly, the whole second half of the show frankly bothered me in regards to Gallerhorn and how Tekkadan or however it's spelled basically became a sin eater for Gallerhorn so that order could be maintained, yet the first half of the show was built around taking on that order and bringing about a new order.

Haven't seen My Hero Academia, but heard it's decent. Though the way it's presented is that it reminds me a lot of Naruto/Bleach/One Piece but I can't say that with definitively since I've yet to watch it.

I have seen the first season of Overlord, and it was awesome. Need to watch the last couple of seasons.
jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

Watching Blue Exorcist right now. It's pretty good.

One note on this, the last little arc of the anime isn't in the manga. So when you get to the Kyoto Saga/arc and some confusion sets in, that's why.
HeadGames
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Seven Deadly Sins latest season (24 episodes) is now on Netflix. Apparently Netflix has subtitled the season as the revival of the 10 commandments.

It's good, Escanor is so cool.
Goro Majima
AG
I met the guy who voices Rin in the English dub. Super nice and down to earth person.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Nice.
hunter2012
AG
The Goodbull Hunting Mugdown video this week, for the 3 of us that follow Aggie football and have actually seen Madoka Magica:

What's hilarious to me is that the characters match my Aggie perspective perfectly. screw the damned cat

PSA I would highly recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica, even though it doesn't look it, it's at Beserk and Elfen Lied levels of fubar and the story is as compelling as anything out there. The best order to me seems to be to watch the main series and then the 3rd movie, if I recall correctly the first 2 movies are recaps so they are unnecessary. After seeing GBHs video I may have to watch it again.
Fenrir
I didn't realize that series was so short until just now when I looked it up, will definitely give it a shot. I thought it was a bit more daunting. That's the reason I've never given the fate series a shot, I just have no idea where to start and progress to since it's a bunch of series, each of which are probably 25 ish episodes each.
hunter2012
AG
yep its not long at all just a short series and 3 movies, 2 of which are redundant.
hunter2012
AG
After catching up on Overlord(3 seasons) and Goblin Slayer(3 dubbed episodes), I would highly recommend both.

Overlord is great for those that enjoyed the 1st arc of SAO but feel let down with the later arcs. I describe it above. I find it similar in premise to One Punch Man(also highly recommended) in that the main character is so overpowered that it allows for supporting cast to be fleshed out really well and the story requires an excellent plot since it's not just about the MC powering up.

As for Goblin Slayer I like the fact that the main character isn't out to save the world, he just wants to kill goblins while everyone else is concerned about world events in a dark fantasy setting. Sort of reminds me of the Witcher in that regard. PSA though, Goblin Slayer is one of the most graphic animes I've seen. It's on the same level Berserk and Elfen Lied so needless to say not for the squeamish.
redline248
AG
How/where can I find goblin slayer episodes?
hunter2012
AG
redline248 said:

How/where can I find goblin slayer episodes?
Funimation subscription, you can always use kissanime but no one would be such a monster.
redline248
AG
amercer said:

Finished Devilman Crybaby.

That **** started weird, and then got really really ****ing weird.

I guess it was entertaining.

2 episodes is about all of that I can take. wtf...haha
CrottyKid
AG
1a. Death Note
1b. Code Geass

That's all I got.
hunter2012
AG
CrottyKid said:

1a. Death Note
1b. Code Geass

That's all I got.

If you enjoyed them, checkout Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Steins;Gate, Both are great stories regardless of media format(i.e. anime). And both I would rank them right up with the 2 you listed, though I haven't found an anime with a better ending than Code Geass(Though both of my suggestions come super close).
amercer
AG
redline248 said:

amercer said:

Finished Devilman Crybaby.

That **** started weird, and then got really really ****ing weird.

I guess it was entertaining.

2 episodes is about all of that I can take. wtf...haha

It gets way more worse/better(???) as it goes on. It definitely gets more something.

It's certainly something I'd never recommend to anyone I knew IRL because I'd be worried they wouldn't talk to me again.
amercer
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

amercer said:

Watching Blue Exorcist right now. It's pretty good.

One note on this, the last little arc of the anime isn't in the manga. So when you get to the Kyoto Saga/arc and some confusion sets in, that's why.

I haven't gotten to season 2 (or whatever it's called), but I did think that the last 1/3 of season one seemed like a rushed attempt to tie up the major plot points.
hunter2012
AG
Bit of an update,

Goblin Slayer finished season 1 and it was quite good. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes dark fantasy. It's a fairly straight forward story but it's still very good. There's a controversial scene at the beginning but it does set the tone for the story very well assuming if you can stomach it.

A new one I've been watching is, "Rising of the Shield Hero", while it is also a dark fantasy it has a larger cast and an deeper plot. The MC is one the most sympathetic/tragic characters I've seen since Lelouch in Code Geass. I would also highly recommend this one, just note that it is on going so expect to wait for episodes(17 so far). Just like Overlord they set it up well enough that it doesn't have the typical, "trapped in a new world" feel to it, especially since his life was much better off in his real life prior. There was also a controversial scene in this one that upset the PC crowd, but it absolutely is necessary for the show.

Speaking of Code Geass, they just released the full series on Netflix. If anyone enjoyed the mainstream shows like death note and FMA, I would highly suggest you use this opportunity to see it. There's a reason why the Code Geass characters are some of the most popular anime characters ev even a decade after release, and the story is every bit as epic as Death Note(they didn't even botch the ending). If you don't like mech anime I would still recommend it just for the plot and characters alone.

They've also released a movie recently that sequels the recap movies and splits the timeline(Though the only big change I noticed is that Shirley is still alive). I think they stated they were splitting the timeline just to not tick off anyone that liked where it ended. Anyone that likes this series should checkout the new movie(showtimes tonight only, I saw it at Alamohouse yesterday). I really liked it despite believing the Code Geass tv series has the best ending of any show ever(yes that includes live action shows too). Please checkout the movie if you like series, you won't regret it! The movie is supposedly a springboard for more Code Geass material going forward too so this is only the beginning.

I've also seen others like, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Castlevania on Netflix and a Dance with Dragons. Castlevania is good if your looking for a netflix binge, but Dragons was meh. Slime is good enough that I watched the first season, but I liked Overlord and One Punch Man as a overpowered main character type anime better. Supposedly it has a huge following so take that as it may.

Lastly, I am greatly enjoying the new season of SAO. It feels much much more like the first arc(struggle to survive in a new world). Definitely worth checking out if you prefer season 1 to the rest.
Fenrir
Is the 3rd season of Sao available in English anywhere?
hunter2012
AG
Fenrir said:

Is the 3rd season of Sao available in English anywhere?

If your talking about the newest one, it's on adultswim.com

If your looking for the missing episodes that might not be there then kissanime will be your only guarantee. The earlier seasons were on netflix last time I checked
Oryx
NGE is out on Netflix.

The dub isn't that good compared to the original and the subtitles are a little wack on top of some music being removed like Fly Me to the Moon, but it's better than paying out the ass for the DVDs or BlueRays.

hunter2012
AG
The hilarity of that picture. Making Shinji's father look like a caring father. Such a lie...
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm about to give this show a shot. Never seen it.
Oryx
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm about to give this show a shot. Never seen it.
Watch the series, then EoE, then the rebuilds
Saxsoon
AG
Not anime but I just completed a reread of Naruto. Hate the assume chapters and damn there was more man behind the curtain and all according to plan so much at the end, and even the child of prophecy stuff, but dammit if the series doesn't choke me up. And some really fun fights.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
hunter2012
AG
The dubs just finished on Shippuden and I thought it was well done. Given the amount of material though I'm not sure if I could make time to read it though... Anyway, Obito and Pain are some of the best antagonists in any medium ever, let alone a series for young teenagers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa

Arson at Kyoto Animation kills 33. This studio has done The Silent Voice (on Netflix) which was kind of over shadowed by Your Name, Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu and I think the second raid.
hunter2012
AG
Sad to see, but there's sickos in every country/culture. Studio related, I really like Full Metal Panic.
Satellite of Love
I am rewatching Naruto now with subs. The American voices are the effing worse. Only way to watch is with the original Japanese voice actors.

Another poster indicated that the original manga was being released again but in color. Anyone have anymore news on when it will be making a print run? I would love to pick up the manga but I can't find anything definitive.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
BQwolf05
AG
Myles Garrett and DBZ
hunter2012
AG
Finished season 3 of Attack on Titan today. I'm not sure I know of a more consistently stressful anime out there. I guess the terrifying concept of the titans makes the feeling of danger ever present add that to the constant fast flying action and the uptempo soundtrack and I fell like I need to decompress afterwards. For so much action, the story has been great so far, I'm curious if anyone else is caught up.
96AgGrad
AG
I'm caught up. I like how the scope of the story changes over time. It definitely keeps things interesting.
hunter2012
AG
So I'm assuming the specialty titans that attempted to destroy the country are from the empire across the ocean? If so it would explain why they want to genocide the kingdom. I'm also assuming the beast titan is the son that betrayed Eren's father in the flashbacks. Also what did Eren see when he touched the Queen's hand?
96AgGrad
AG
hunter2012 said:

So I'm assuming the specialty titans that attempted to destroy the country are from the empire across the ocean? If so it would explain why they want to genocide the kingdom. I'm also assuming the beast titan is the son that betrayed Eren's father in the flashbacks. Also what did Eren see when he touched the Queen's hand?
1. Yes, they are trying to steal the ability to control the titans for Marley, not necessarily destroy everyone
2. Yes, the Beast titan is Zeke, Eren's half-brother.
3. I believe Eren realized that he could use her ability to mind-wipe the people if he was in close proximity to her without actually having her royal blood. He kept that knowledge to himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.