Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,263 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I concur, I just finished it last night. Pretty awesome, and Sato might be one of the best villains I have seen in some time. Ruthless, unrelenting, and methodical. They've definitely set it up for another season, that's for damn sure.
jabberwalkie09
AG
So, Nintendo decided to make a bit of a prequel trailer for the new Star Fox game.

Red Five
AG
10 minutes before a barrel roll command was given. They had me worried.
hunter2012
AG
I see they got Slippy's annoyingness down, that's hard to recreate after 20 years.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw this in the list after I watched the PoI trailer. I know absolutely nothing about this movie, but thought I'd share it.

IJones23
My little brother introduced me to Cowboy Bebop 6 years ago and I loved it. I tried to watch another series and I just couldn't get into it.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Saw this in the list after I watched the PoI trailer. I know absolutely nothing about this movie, but thought I'd share it.

Interesting, it looks like the protagonist is a borderline terrorist? I suppose in a society where people can't die, the only way to rebel is to kill and be killed...
hunter2012
AG
quote:
My little brother introduced me to Cowboy Bebop 6 years ago and I loved it. I tried to watch another series and I just couldn't get into it.

There's several great series on Netflix if you ever wanted to try to pick it up again. I would suggest Death Note, its a good starter show, or did you like the scifi specifically?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

There's several great series on Netflix if you ever wanted to try to pick it up again. I would suggest Death Note, its a good starter show, or did you like the scifi specifically?
On that note, if you also liked the Space Western feel of the series there is Trigun (on Hulu) and Outlaw Star (don't know of anyone streaming this) as well.
jabberwalkie09
AG
For those that liked Psycho-Pass, the movie which is the final chapter is now available to rent on Amazon.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
For those that liked Psycho-Pass, the movie which is the final chapter is now available to rent on Amazon.

Thanks for that, the previous shows both left me unsatisfied in terms of ending, which I suppose is good to keep me watching. I mainly just disagree with the main character's final conclusions/decision if you will.

Also I'm watching Code Geass right now and it is a heck of a good show. It has the cat/mouse aspect very similar to Death Note. Even the main character reminds me of Light in a way.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Thanks for that, the previous shows both left me unsatisfied in terms of ending, which I suppose is good to keep me watching. I mainly just disagree with the main character's final conclusions/decision if you will.

Also I'm watching Code Geass right now and it is a heck of a good show. It has the cat/mouse aspect very similar to Death Note. Even the main character reminds me of Light in a way.
I thought the second season was pretty underwhelming. And yeah, the main character is pretty much don't buck the system. I want to know how the story ends, but the second season just completely failed to live up to the first season in every possible way IMO.

Vaguely remember Code Geass, but I haven't seen Death Note.
amercer
AG
I'll give another vote for Ajin. That was very good.

I'm about half way through SAO. I can't tell if it's really good, or if I just have a lot of nostalgia for my days playing Final Fantasy, but I'm enjoying it.

I watched the first couple episodes of Death Note but I couldn't really get into it.
hunter2012
AG
With SAO it's funny because the Aincrad(first half first season) arc is what hooks people, but then they completely move away from it over the next 1.5 seasons. SAO 2 is worth watching however, they develop Asuna to the point that she is the main character for at least one arc.

If you want a new anime that's similar to that first arc, a "survive the VRMMORPG" check out Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. It was a recent one I discovered and it's from same creators of SAO. It's a great story but it's much much more grittier than SAO. Imagine if you will that you and your out of shape American body(speaking of myself) were just dropped off in a fantasy world where you have to fight/kill to survive. The first episodes are about killing a single of the lowest level enemy. There's a much more psychological aspect in this one because the characters aren't super badass Kiritos. They are just people that want to survive. Some episodes are slower because the characters are either trying to learn or are suffering because of the world they are trapped in. But overall it's really good for those that got hooked on SAO.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
With SAO it's funny because the Aincrad(first half first season) arc is what hooks people, but then they completely move away from it over the next 1.5 seasons. SAO 2 is worth watching however, they develop Asuna to the point that she is the main character for at least one arc.
The best part of SAO 2 was the GGO (Death Gun) arc. Once that wrapped up, and it wrapped up way too quickly, it didn't get good again until you got to the Mothers Rosario arc which featured Asuna primarily.
amercer
AG
How much SAO is there? I don't wiki stuff until I'm done for spoiler reasons. I see 23 episodes listed as season one on Netflix.
amercer
AG
Also I'm skimming the posts here to avoid spoilers

Sometimes it works, and sometimes I'm too good of a reader
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How much SAO is there? I don't wiki stuff until I'm done for spoiler reasons. I see 23 episodes listed as season one on Netflix.
There are 25 episodes in both seasons/series, 50 total, on Netflix from what I can tell.

That's a far cry from either Bleach (366 not counting movies) or Naruto (nearly 700 between Naruto and Shippuden, and still on going).
amercer
AG
I think I made it through about 300 Bleach episodes
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
To be fair, I really enjoyed the first arc where they go to Soul Society. Once you get past that though..... It starts to go downhill, and the anime only episodes that do nothing to further the plot didn't help.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch Psycho-Pass: The Movie. It's decent enough. Somethings are pretty obvious, and it ends fairly open ended. That is to say that the plot of the movie is wrapped up, but I don't feel like the characters had the same kind of closure you saw at the end of season 1 especially considering the deal that Akane has with Sibyl. Ultimately, it's a good entry into the universe but it relies heavily on you knowing what happened in the two tv series prior. The way this was pitched initially made me think that the entire story was going to come to a close, which is probably why I am a little disappointed that didn't happen.

Oddly, I watched this the day after Person of Interest finished. And to an extent, I think you could make a comparison to how the world would have been had Samaritan been allowed to mature to the level of Sibyl.
hunter2012
AG
Since we're doing updates,

I watched Code Geass and both Hellsing series.

For starters Code Geass is now in my top 3 with Steins;Gate and FMAB. If you haven't seen it yet the protagonist is a lot like Light from Death Note, he's very cerebral character that's on a revenge quest(instead of Light's god complex). The show starts decently fast and accelerates all the way to the end much like FMAB. Infact when describing it to friends I call it a mix of Death Note's cat & mouse mind duel and FMAB's pacing and scale. The end is what ranks it so high for me, so be sure to watch the whole thing(Both Lelouch of the Rebellion and R2)!

The original Hellsing was good but you can tell they got ahead and veered from the manga, imagine the original FMA if they forced the story to wrap up instead of extending it to 40-50 episodes. Ultimate was better but with how acclaimed the series is it didn't hit a high bar for me. But I've never been into vampires as much as some are. It is decent and worth a watch though. The characters are all very unique.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

As someone who is about 224 in on Fairy Tail it doesn't seem like that much when your'e on the other side of it.

Also I still need to see the Psycho Pass movie, I just hope they go one way or another with Sibyl. She can't keep falling back on, "well it's a necessary evil so I'll let it pass this time."
jabberwalkie09
AG
I watched the first movie/episode/ova/whatever for Hellsing Ultimate awhile back, and I didn't see the acclaim it has. Maybe I need to watch a little more and it might hook me.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I watched the first movie/episode/ova/whatever for Hellsing Ultimate awhile back, and I didn't see the acclaim it has. Maybe I need to watch a little more and it might hook me.

There's better out anime there, if you didn't like the first episode I'm not sure that you'll like the rest of it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

As someone who is about 224 in on Fairy Tail it doesn't seem like that much when your'e on the other side of it.
I watched all of the 366 episodes of Bleach since I watched it and was invested to find out how it all ended..... You feel it at the end. I watched the first run of Fairy Tail, and I gave up when I realized that it was going to be another type of Naruto/Bleach. The characters in the latter two at least grab you a bit more.

quote:
Also I still need to see the Psycho Pass movie, I just hope they go one way or another with Sibyl. She can't keep falling back on, "well it's a necessary evil so I'll let it pass this time."
It's one of my biggest gripes about the franchise...
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

There's better out anime there, if you didn't like the first episode I'm not sure that you'll like the rest of it.
It'll probably be one of those that I'll power through and be disappointed by the end.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I watched all of the 366 episodes of Bleach since I watched it and was invested to find out how it all ended..... You feel it at the end. I watched the first run of Fairy Tail, and I gave up when I realized that it was going to be another type of Naruto/Bleach. The characters in the latter two at least grab you a bit more.

quote:
It's one of my biggest gripes about the franchise...

I keep up with Fairy Tail because it's pretty light hearted and doesn't require thinking so I can just laugh and veg on it. Where it's at now it at least seems like it's going somewhere, I refuse to watch One Piece because apparently it does just the opposite.

If Bleach is over I might give it a shot, I don't mind if it's long running so long as it isn't aimless. I've also been thinking about starting Naruto for a while, should I just start at the beginning for that one?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It'll probably be one of those that I'll power through and be disappointed by the end.

Well I will go ahead and say then that I was disappointed by the ending, enjoy!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
If Bleach is over I might give it a shot, I don't mind if it's long running so long as it isn't aimless. I've also been thinking about starting Naruto for a while, should I just start at the beginning for that one?
The anime series for Bleach has been done since like 2012. IIRC the films don't build upon the series. A quick search for an episode guide found this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=266473

I can't verify how accurate that is, but it feels right. I did like the Bount arc personally. Some of the other filler arcs are just stupid. And the excessive filler is what many people have speculated to the series being canned. There have been rumors for a couple of years of the series coming back to finish it out, but I don't see that happening until the manga wraps up. And that just seems to be dragging on and on.

Regarding Naruto, I haven't watched it lately. I stopped sometime in Shippuden, but I plan to pick it back up once the series finishes. The manga is wrapped up though, so there's that. The deal with Naruto is that the relationship between Sasuke and Naruto goes all the way back to the first episode and things that occur in Shippuden rely on knowing what occurs in Naruto. I will say that Jiraiya is probably one of my favorite characters in the series.
hunter2012
AG
So I watched the Psycho Pass movie and yep same sh*t as normal.

The MO for Psycho Pass is:

Sibyl comes up with some scheme that's logical yet inhumane. Gets confronted by the inspector, it then compromises its plan by using humane measures to achieve it's end. The inspector then lets Sibyl slide because, "hey, it's better than nothing".

I will say that the show is very unique in how it always ends in a gray moral reality. In that aspect it's refreshing since it's not just good guy wins, or a tragic ending where good guy sort of wins but at the cost of their life.
amercer
AG
Finished the first season of SAO.

Honestly, if they had stopped at episode 13 it would rank as almost Cowboy Bebop good to me. I understand why they couldn't leave it like that--studios have to make money after all, and short series with sad endings probably don't sell as well.

The second half was fine although the sister thing kind of weirded me out. I'll just chalk that up as "Japanese **** I don't get" and move on.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Finished the first season of SAO.

Honestly, if they had stopped at episode 13 it would rank as almost Cowboy Bebop good to me. I understand why they couldn't leave it like that--studios have to make money after all, and short series with sad endings probably don't sell as well.

The second half was fine although the sister thing kind of weirded me out. I'll just chalk that up as "Japanese **** I don't get" and move on.

Welcome to the club on that, it's like they decided "nah, we don't want to write epic dangerous fights anymore. Let's just do a completely different anime with the same characters!"

If you really like the first half, watch Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. it's from the same creators and they are in a similar setting the whole way where they have to get stronger just to survive.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So I watched the Psycho Pass movie and yep same sh*t as normal.

The MO for Psycho Pass is:

Sibyl comes up with some scheme that's logical yet inhumane. Gets confronted by the inspector, it then compromises its plan by using humane measures to achieve it's end. The inspector then lets Sibyl slide because, "hey, it's better than nothing".

I will say that the show is very unique in how it always ends in a gray moral reality. In that aspect it's refreshing since it's not just good guy wins, or a tragic ending where good guy sort of wins but at the cost of their life.
Really, the first season was the pinnacle for the show. You're right in that the show is uncharacteristically gray, but it's also unusually unsatisfying. There is not much resolution in regards to the Sibyl system, or really there is none. Akane clearly doesn't agree with the methods that the system employs normally, and normally agrees with Kogami. It also doesn't help that the first season gave us the best possible villain of the series.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Log Horizon
Aldnoah Zero
Sword Art first arc
Gargantua on the Verdant Planet
Attack on Titan
Robotech, Macross, Shadow Chronicles
Steinsgate
.hack series
DBZ

HeadGames
AG
Anyone mention Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix? I friggin loved that anime, my favorite one on Netflix I think.

Crunchyroll has so many amines now. I watch terraformers. However they have a lot of new summer series shows that look great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.