Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,225 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
VikingNik
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No mention of Knight's of Sidonia? Season one was intense. Season two a little weaker though.
Fenrir
quote:
No mention of Knight's of Sidonia? Season one was intense. Season two a little weaker though.
It was mentioned 4 times on the previous page...
hunter2012
AG
quote:

So question, is the interchangeable gender thing overblown? I've been avoiding Knights of Sidonia because of that, but if viewers say differently I might have to give it a shot.

Also anyone looking for an anthology series check out Mushishi, it is very beautiful from an animation/story standpoint. Pretty relaxed show too.
Fenrir
quote:
quote:

So question, is the interchangeable gender thing overblown? I've been avoiding Knights of Sidonia because of that, but if viewers say differently I might have to give it a shot.

Also anyone looking for an anthology series check out Mushishi, it is very beautiful from an animation/story standpoint. Pretty relaxed show too.
Why would you avoid it because of that? It's a very minor detail of the show. I didn't know people had issue with it. And it's not interchangeable. Some of the individuals are hermaphrodites to start (not even sure it's a large number of them) and can change one way or the other.

Mushishi is great. Unfortunately the 2nd series isn't under Funimation so even if it does get dubbed they might not bring back Ginko's voice actor.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Not really an anime, but I thought I'd put this in here. Samurai Jack will return in 2016.

Fenrir
quote:
Not really an anime, but I thought I'd put this in here. Samurai Jack will return in 2016.

Glad they may get to wrap the story up but it won't be the same without Mako.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Weren't there some comics that did that? I found out about them later and haven't read them.
96AgGrad
AG
quote:
Sword Art Online- Awesome story though it could get sappy at times(that and the level jumps were ridiculous), and the action has been some of the best that I've seen. I'm considering skipping the Gun Gale just because I liked where SAO ended.
I just finished SAO 1, and it is definitely a series you can relate to if you've played MMORPG games. I can see what you mean about liking where it ended. It would be a real disappointment if it changed dramatically in SAO 2. Still trying to decide if I can binge watch another season or if I need to take a break and try another series.
Fenrir
quote:
Weren't there some comics that did that? I found out about them later and haven't read them.
There are comics. I wasn't aware of them wrapping the story up. I think they took over some of the story that was supposed to be in the movie maybe but beyond that not sure.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Sword Art Online- Awesome story though it could get sappy at times(that and the level jumps were ridiculous), and the action has been some of the best that I've seen. I'm considering skipping the Gun Gale just because I liked where SAO ended.
I just finished SAO 1, and it is definitely a series you can relate to if you've played MMORPG games. I can see what you mean about liking where it ended. It would be a real disappointment if it changed dramatically in SAO 2. Still trying to decide if I can binge watch another season or if I need to take a break and try another series.
It depends on what you mean by changed. SAO 2 is definitely different from SAO 1 given how it resolves with them being out of the game by the end. Some of the risk of death is there for some of the season, but once you finish the Gun Gale Online arc the only redeeming factor of the season is the Mother's Rosario arc which has less to do with Kirito and more with Asuna and her friendship with another character they meet in the arc.

Besides, if any anime show gets an award for having changed dramatically in the second season that goes to Log Horizons. There's no doubt in my mind about that. Never have I started watching the second season of an anime only to give up roughly halfway through because I simply just don't care about any of the stories for the characters being given one or two episodes at a time.
96AgGrad
AG
(SAO Spoiler Alert)

Call me a sap, but I did find myself invested in the boy gets girl storyline, particularly after SAO (the game) ended early with Asuna not making it out. The fact that it required a whole separate game to resolve itself was also a surprise. After seeing it play out the way everyone hoped (predictably, but ya never know), I just didn't want SAO 2 to undo it all.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Minor details that could be considered spoilers below.

First thing you have to realize is that in SAO 1 that the girls in the show basically fawn all over Kirito at one point or another, but he always ends up being devoted to Asuna. And notice I said friendship and not relationship about Asuna. As best as I can recall, Kirito and Asuna's relationship doesn't break down in SAO 2. Nor do I think that happens in any of the novels.
96AgGrad
AG
Glad to hear it. I will have to check it out. Thanks for your insight.
ForteAg12
AG
I figured you dudes may like this series. It's another from Shinichiro Watanabe with music by Yoko Kanno.

hunter2012
AG
quote:
(SAO Spoiler Alert)

Call me a sap, but I did find myself invested in the boy gets girl storyline, particularly after SAO (the game) ended early with Asuna not making it out. The fact that it required a whole separate game to resolve itself was also a surprise. After seeing it play out the way everyone hoped (predictably, but ya never know), I just didn't want SAO 2 to undo it all.
If you want more sap you'll get it in the second season, the Gun Gale arc has some solid action, but if your looking for season 1 type action you won't get it. That being said they really develop Asuna a lot more in the second season.

Also my new favorite anime is Steins;Gate. I probably should put this in another post so I'll just say watch it if you get a chance. It does start slow but trust me it does that for a reason and it will be more than worth it. If you watch it commit to the first 12 episodes and I promise you will be hooked.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I've heard that Terror in Resonance is good. It's on my list of things to watch eventually.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I've heard that Terror in Resonance is good. It's on my list of things to watch eventually.
apparently the dubbed comes out in late January. I'll catch it then, the trailer intrigued me.

Also I just noticed both seasons of Fate/stay Night Unlimited Blade Works are now on Netflix. I can't remember if I've mentioned the series but I definitely like UBW better than the original, it has some of the most beautiful fights I've ever seen in anime. If ya'll liked the action in SAO definitely check this out. Fate Zero is a prequel so you may want to watch that one first.
96AgGrad
AG
I started Steins;Gate a couple times and didn't get hooked by the first episode. I'll give it more of a chance.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I started Steins;Gate a couple times and didn't get hooked by the first episode. I'll give it more of a chance.
I feel ya, it seems like it's just a "slice of life" type with no hook but I promise you it will happen. The easiest is to commit to the first half. If you aren't hooked by episode 12 then you didn't watch it!
jabberwalkie09
AG
I need to watch the second half of UBW. Thanks for the heads up.
hunter2012
AG
Just wanted to update the thread,

I just finished Monster and both the show and the 3 movies for Beserk

Monster- this was essentially a pure thriller/suspense story. It doesn't have a ton of action but the plot thickness is on par with FMAB even down to the following of multiple characters in an intertwining plot. If you don't mind non action in favor of a thick story check this one out. I liked the fact that the antagonist's scheme is very different from anything else I've seen.

Beserk- If you're looking for a bloody mess in the same style as Game of Thrones, look no farther. In fact I've described it as an anime GoT to friends. The show and movies tell the same story, so while the show has more plot details and depth the movies use modern digital animation and makes for some top shelf battle sequences. If you're completionist watch the show, otherwise stick with the movies since all the good action scenes make the cut. As far as the ending... well you just have to see it, but the 2nd arc(of 3) comes out later this year and I'm looking forward to it.

I was just reminded of Terror in Resonance when I looked up the thread so I think I'll see that one next. Anyone else have updates?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Jesus..... Adult Swim to get two more seasons of FLCL. The series that when I saw it the first time thought that pretty much required you to be high as a mother****ing kite to actually understand and enjoy it. All I got is: Why?

http://www.avclub.com/article/adult-swim-announces-two-new-seasons-cult-anime-hi-234318
HeadGames
AG
quote:
Funny to see this thread....my wife has done voices for characters on several of these shows.
No Space Dandy fans? I thought that one had a good following?

Love that show!
SlackerAg
AG
Was into Gundam, RoboTech/Macross & MegaZone23 back in the day...
hunter2012
AG
I found an anime that is very similar to the original arc of SAO. Trying to survive while being trapped in a game setting. What's interesting is the rules are like RPG but it's ambiguous if they are actually in a game or not. Also the show is extremely gritty, which is what I hoped SAO would have stuck with. The characters aren't badasses, they're just people stuck in a different world. Anyway it's called Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, the dubs are almost finished with the first season.

I think I'll also start the Ghost in the Shell:Arise series while I'm at it. The movie thread inspired me...
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think I'll also start the Ghost in the Shell:Arise series while I'm at it. The movie thread inspired me...
I think I found an episode or two to be kind of slow, plus when I first watched it they were still putting out episodes. It's pretty decent IMO, but for some reason I had a hard time getting around Kusanagi looking like a teenager. At least IMO she did.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
I think I found an episode or two to be kind of slow, plus when I first watched it they were still putting out episodes. It's pretty decent IMO, but for some reason I had a hard time getting around Kusanagi looking like a teenager. At least IMO she did.
So should I watch the series over the movies? It sounds like they are almost the same but the show has more content.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So should I watch the series over the movies? It sounds like they are almost the same but the show has more content.
All of it? It's all good, just set in different periods of time/continuity depending on which one you watch. The only reason I said that is because even though Kusanagi is in a full cyborg body, most of the time she is depicted as her body being late 20's, early 30's IMO. It's just a different style and really in all honesty shouldn't matter since being a full cyborg she could theoretically change bodies on a whim to any age or gender.
jabberwalkie09
AG
And anyways, at this point I'd probably watch Arise, The New Movie, and then the original movie and it's sequel. I just haven't had a chance to actually watch the series like that personally. The anime (Stand Alone Complex and it's movie) is also pretty great, and might have some of the best music thematically to the series.
96AgGrad
AG
Since we are doing updates, I finally finished Steins;Gate and it was as good as advertised. Thanks for the recommendations.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Netflix uploaded an anime that I started and has been pretty interesting so far called Ajin: Demi-Human. I'm only two episodes in, but it definitely started with putting the go pedal to the floor and hasn't stopped or slowed in the first couple of episodes. It has that same style of animation as Knights of Sidonia, which I don't really care for but it's been entertaining so far. Will update once I finish.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Since we are doing updates, I finally finished Steins;Gate and it was as good as advertised. Thanks for the recommendations.

I won't lie I've gone full gluten free/cross fit/Mormon on that show trying to convert every anime person in sight. It is the best.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
And anyways, at this point I'd probably watch Arise, The New Movie, and then the original movie and it's sequel. I just haven't had a chance to actually watch the series like that personally. The anime (Stand Alone Complex and it's movie) is also pretty great, and might have some of the best music thematically to the series.

I'll start Arise tonight.

I also saw the preview for Ajin and will give it a shot too.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
Funny to see this thread....my wife has done voices for characters on several of these shows.
No Space Dandy fans? I thought that one had a good following?

Love that show!
Really curious who she has voiced
hunter2012
AG
Watched Ajin this weekend and really liked it, felt more like a netflix series rather than a run of the mill supernatural anime. If I have one gripe, the politics/world setup is identical to Xmen with one faction that wants to live peacefully and the other that wants to dominate humanity while the humans want to experiment on the Ajin, though I suppose that's the most logical world set up. Also the animation style takes some adjustment because the faces aren't as expressive as other animes, but the payoff comes when the action starts. The action scenes are the greatest benefactor of the animation style and the sequences match any anime I've seen to date, right up with Fate;Stay Night UBW and the Berserk movies. Also the antagonist is the most badass bad guy I've seen in anime, his sequences in particular had me glued to the screen. He uses his immortality and regeneration tactically in a fight and makes for an amazing fighting style.

*SPOILERS
Like his fight in the hallway where he dismembers and kills himself to purge the darts from knocking him out. Also his ride on the skyscraper and his fight with the special forces squad was awesome! You could see his madness in maniacally laughing while riding a collapsing skyscraper /SPOILERS*

Sorry for the spoilers but I had to say it to an open forum even if nobody reads it.

Anyway it's worth watching on Netflix!

Also any fans of crazy stories like Steins;gate or Evangelion should check out Puella Magi Madoka Magica. You can watch the 3 movies or watch the show and the last movie. I watched the show though I heard the movies stick to the action over character building which is fine. All 4 formats are on netflix. The posters and screenshots look girly but I promise the story is anything but! The best I can describe it is to imagine Stanley Kubrick directing the powerpuff girls. I'd put it's ending up with Evangelion and Beserk in terms of WTF endings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.