TX Cares Antibody study (natural vs vaccination)

85,234 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VaultingChemist
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

I was fully vaccinated in April. I think it holds with the timeline of me being able to wait it out for a possible variant specific booster if needed.
Yeah if I were your doc I would tell you to plan on a booster March/April or so. Of course it is a dynamic situation so if Omicron really gets cooking and we get very high case numbers and the current boosters are showing good efficacy then you (and me) may want to reconsider.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ken Adams
AG
Ken Adams said:

Signed up through the study, just did my first test Tuesday.

34, Male, not vaxxed yet, confirmed positive test in Jan 2021 with mostly mild symptoms. Nausea, exhausted for about a week and no taste/smell for 4 weeks.

Total spike 101
Total Antibodies 34

Just had 2nd test done Friday 12/3.

Total spike 121
Total antibodies 24.
TPS Reports
AG
Moderna 1 - 01.24.21
Moderna 2 - 02.22.21

TX Cares Study
Draw 1 - 09.02.21
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, N Protein - Negative
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, N Protein, Index - 0.0
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, S Protein - Positive
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, S Protein, Quant - 1256

Draw 2 - 12.02.21
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, S Protein, Quant - 991

Got my booster hours after the last draw so should see numbers go back up for third draw. Wondering if I should have waited on booster.
KidDoc
AG
I would have with 900 titer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
KidDoc said:

Just curious, but what are you basing this on? I've seen that you generally recommend waiting on the booster until titer levels fall to a lower level, and I don't know that I think you are wrong so I'm not trying to argue, but everything i've seen has been along the lines of "we don't really know what level of antibodies is needed to provide immunity, we just know more is better". I think you are probably right on your general sense, but was curious if you had anything data wise you were drawing your opinion/advice from or if it was more just a general sense based on your years of experience in medicine?

And for the record, if it's the second I'm not dogging on that, I fully understand that in the absence of adequate data, the gut feel of someone with lots of experience is usually a very good indicator for things in their field. I'm just genuinely curious.
AggieTailgate84
AG
Moderna 1 - 01.18.21
Moderna 2 - 02.12.21

TX Cares Study
Draw 1 - 08.24.21
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, S Protein, Quant - 2443

Draw 2 - 11.17.21
SARS-CoV-2, Total Ab, S Protein, Quant - 1417

60 year old male

Should I get the booster or wait until my third draw to see my numbers? My third draw will be at my one year mark for the vaccination.
KidDoc
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

KidDoc said:

Just curious, but what are you basing this on? I've seen that you generally recommend waiting on the booster until titer levels fall to a lower level, and I don't know that I think you are wrong so I'm not trying to argue, but everything i've seen has been along the lines of "we don't really know what level of antibodies is needed to provide immunity, we just know more is better". I think you are probably right on your general sense, but was curious if you had anything data wise you were drawing your opinion/advice from or if it was more just a general sense based on your years of experience in medicine?

And for the record, if it's the second I'm not dogging on that, I fully understand that in the absence of adequate data, the gut feel of someone with lots of experience is usually a very good indicator for things in their field. I'm just genuinely curious.
You are correct it is just based on 20 years of pediatric practice and reading titers to other viruses. At this time there is no proven titer level that provides neutralizing immunity or immunity vs severe disease.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
That would be one incredibly difficult study to conduct wouldn't it? Guessing we never really know what optimal minimum levels are?
KidDoc
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

That would be one incredibly difficult study to conduct wouldn't it? Guessing we never really know what optimal minimum levels are?
Yeah it is generally done over time with observational type studies. For non-noval viruses the thresholds have been established for decades.
Caliber
AG
Did my Second draw thanksgiving week.

J&J Vaccine on 8/2/2021

First Texas cares on 9/7/2021
N - 11.7 (this was a surprise to me)
S - 208

Second draw on 11/29/2021
N - 17.8
S - 930

I never had a positive Covid test. Only possible symptoms were week starting 8/9/2021 - only real symptom was limited appetite. Wanted to eat but was done after just a few bites for a nearly a week. Everything tasted/smelled good, just didn't want to eat more.
Wife and kids didn't have any symptoms at all, so who knows if they got it.
Was Covid Negative on a blood donation in June.
DuncanAg
AG
Pfizer 1st and 2nd doses in January

Texas cares on 9/13
N - 0
S - 440

Second draw on 12/6
N - 0
S - 221

Thinking about booster but don't want to go through what I did for the 2nd shot.
aTm2004
AG
aTm2004 said:

Signed up Wednesday and had my first blood draw yesterday. Home tested positive on 8/25 after wife's PCR came back positive. Was a mild case with mostly fatigue.

39 y/o unvaxxed male

2nd pull yesterday and got the results this morning.

KidDoc
AG
Got my results in under 24 hours!

Moderna 2nd dose 1/29, never have had COVID.

S Protein
9/1/2021- 1638
12/8/2021- 919

Roughly dropping 200ish a month.

I plan to wait until Spring for a possible booster for me depending on how Omicron rolls out over the next few months or if more mandates come down from the benevolent rulers that require a 3rd dose to travel or have fun.

SoTheySay
S
Did you have to schedule an appt or walk in? I signed up but have never been able to get through to schedule.
KidDoc
AG
SoTheySay said:

Did you have to schedule an appt or walk in? I signed up but have never been able to get through to schedule.
I just walked in. Took maybe 10 minutes total.
SoTheySay
S
Thank you! I think I am about to head that way. I have not had an antibody test in a couple of months.
dubi
AG
SoTheySay said:

I've never waited more than 10 minutes.
Caliber
AG
dubi said:

SoTheySay said:

I've never waited more than 10 minutes.
I never was in the building for more than 10 minutes at the location I went to, no appointments.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Got draw #3 today. To help avoid any wait, don't go in the early AM because that is when people who had to fast go get their draws. And the lunch hour can get busy. You might also avoid any right by a hospital. I've gone mid afternoon for all 3 visits and never there for more than 10 minutes
dubi
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Got draw #3 today. To help avoid any wait, don't go in the early AM because that is when people who had to fast go get their draws. And the lunch hour can get busy. You might also avoid any right by a hospital. I've gone mid afternoon for all 3 visits and never there for more than 10 minutes
In BCS, all 3 locations are right by a hospital.
SoTheySay
S
I ended up going today. Took maybe 15 mins including travel time.
SoTheySay
S
Got my results!

Unvaccinated but was an "OG" Covid positive June 15, 2020

N: 2.3
S: 330

I have donated plamsa since positive test and always tested positive for antibodies. Interested to see what the next results look like!
DannyDuberstein
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Sept:
S - 2346
N- 214.0

End of Feb (2/26):
S- not provided
N- 123.0

Had covid in early Feb (2/5). Somewhat reluctantly vaccinated in April even though i figured natural would cover me, just wanted to bolster since I take care of my elderly dad. Seems like my immunity is ragin

Got my last Texas Cares test yesterday. Not as raging as in September, but still really high.

N = 159
S = 2085

planoaggie123
AG
Confused a bit. Just got results.

N = negative. I did not get a shot. Thought that is what S indicated???

Edit: this is second round. First was all negative. In between had a few cases of sniffles etc but nothing that made me want to test.

Not sure what these results mean. Wondering if could be an error??

KidDoc
AG
Natural immunity causes S and N antibodies (spike and envelope).
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. So even though no N a decent chance I got some level of infection that created an S but the N did not remain? I S better than N?
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Ok. So even though no N a decent chance I got some level of infection that created an S but the N did not remain? I S better than N?
S is better because it neutralizes and blocks the virus from entering cells, N is more for T cell tagging. You had N most likely it just faded as immunity does with natural infection.
ATXaggie83
AG
ATXaggie83 said:

Did my first draw yesterday 8/25
60 years old
2nd Moderna on 3/26

S >2500
N negative
Did my second draw 12/10
S>2500
N negative

I had been thinking about getting a booster but since my antibodies are still so high now I'm thinking I should wait awhile longer.
duck79
AG
duck79 said:

Pfizer second shot April 6

42yr old
Spike protein: 726
S: Negative.

After seeing some with over 2k I'm not sure if that is good or not?

Second draw was yesterday:
Spike: 814
N: negative

Is it usual for the second draw to be higher in Spike?
KidDoc
AG
Depends on timing of when you had the draw relative to vaccine. You probably were not peaked yet from the shot if it was less than 6 weeks between the two.
duck79
AG
My first draw was 5 months after my second vaccine shot. I have not received a booster.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah that is weird then. Only real possibility is you had an exposure and just killed it before you got sick but then you would expect N protein to pop as well. Weird.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

My Covid Journey so far.
* 0.4 is actually a < 0.4 Negative Semi-Quant Total Ab test and the only negative Spike Protein test
A is A
AG
A is A said:

A is A said:

First Covid Symptoms Aug 7 (night).
No Vaccine.
Wanted to get the anti-body test just to see the numbers.
This is my first test.

COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein : Positive
COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein (Quantitative) : 186

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies : Positive
SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies Quantitative : 157.0

Second Test Blood Draw tomorrow (Friday) Will post with results.

Alright, round two below.
Unvaccinated; Covid symptoms start Aug 7
1st test Sept 10; 2nd Dec 18
S: 186 up to 529
N: 157 up to 201

Will post pics tomorrow if I remember.
thirdcoast
AG
KidDoc said:

Natural immunity causes S and N antibodies (spike and envelope).

N is nucleocapsid not envelope.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.