Austin anti-COVID Vax doctor referrals for kids

9,839 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Shank Ag
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
harge57 said:

Boggles my mind that people would vaccinate their kids for COVID.
Boggles my mind how boggled other people's minds are.
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
So no answers to my questions?

Please provide a rational reason kids should be vaccinated for COVID.
buffalo chip
S
If you have 15 minutes or so, listen to this MD's video regarding children and COVID19 vaccination:

https://zdoggmd.com/

Of all the "experts" this guy has seemed the most rational, reasonable to me.
TXTransplant
I've got to give props to this guy because he's basing his viewpoint strictly on the numbers.

He pretty much says the vaccine is safe for adults, and that since it's safe for adults, there is no reason to believe it's not safe for kids (and the studies are confirming that).

He acknowledges that there is a low risk of having a severe adverse effect from the vaccine, but these are rare (in kids and adults). The risk is also not unique to the Covid vaccine.

But he also acknowledges that Covid poses a very low risk for kids. The get sick from it and spread it at MUCH lower rates than adults.

So, the benefit to vaccinating a kid is not as great as it is for adults. The risk of vaccinating (which is low) is about the same, but there is a significant difference in the benefit of the vaccine, because kids just aren't affected by this vaccine like adults are.

He goes on to list other pros and cons of vaccinations, but those reasons aren't as based in fact/data as his main reason. They are more "convenience" reasons related to fear, anxiety, access to the vaccine, missing school because the vaccine causes mild symptoms, etc.

The way I interpret this is, there really is no compelling/overwhelming reason one way or the other. If you do choose to vaccinate your kid, you aren't putting them at any greater risk, and if you do vaccinate, it's probably not going to contribute much herd immunity and/or protecting others.

Vaccination really comes down to what makes the PARENT most comfortable. Does the parent want to eliminate the (miniscule) risk that their kid might die from Covid, or does a parent want to eliminate the (equally miniscule) risk that their kid might experience a bad adverse effect from Covid? Again, this is a very unscientific conclusion.

But, I appreciate that he makes a point to say that there is no issue with the SAFETY of the vaccine itself, particularly when it comes to kids. And there is no reason to avoid the vaccine because of the mythical "long-term effects".

jopatura
AG
My biggest concern is that the vaccines will have the ability to trigger MIS-C in kids. Inflammatory responses is already a side effect of other vaccines. I agree for the 12-15 age group it is probably okay since they seemed to be affected by MIS-C after COVID less. I want to see children's trials with more then a few thousand participants and a long enough observation window. From what I've read, they are aware of the MIS-C concerns, but want everything wrapped up in about four months.

But for us, I think our hand is going to be forced by mask usage at the school. If the schools require vaccinations to be unmasked and make a big deal about enforcement, my 7 year old daughter is definitely going to want the vaccination. She has already asked for it because she knows we got it and she wants to ditch the mask at school.
TXTransplant
As much as I hate this word, this whole issue with vaccinating young kids is the very definition of privilege (specifically American privilege).

We live in a country where, in less than a year, the pharmaceutical industry and healthcare system has developed, manufactured, and distributed a vaccine that is as close to 100% effective as a vaccine can be for every single person in the country, regardless of whether or not a specific population even NEEDS the vaccine.

Basically, vaccine is available to kids, not because of need, but so their parents can virtue signal (or just "sleep better" knowing their kid has an even less infinitesimal risk of getting sick from Covid).

Compare that to other areas of the world where even the most vulnerable still can't get the vaccine and/or ineffective and inferior vaccine is being distributed.

Now, I don't for one second think that people here should start refusing vaccine on behalf of those in other countries who can't get it. That's not how vaccine distribution works.

But, you've got to recognize what an impressive accomplishment that is, and acknowledge how fortunate we are to live in a country where we have the ability to prevent disease/illness in people who aren't even really at risk for complications from said illness.
TXTransplant
jopatura said:

My biggest concern is that the vaccines will have the ability to trigger MIS-C in kids. Inflammatory responses is already a side effect of other vaccines. I agree for the 12-15 age group it is probably okay since they seemed to be affected by MIS-C after COVID less. I want to see children's trials with more then a few thousand participants and a long enough observation window. From what I've read, they are aware of the MIS-C concerns, but want everything wrapped up in about four months.

But for us, I think our hand is going to be forced by mask usage at the school. If the schools require vaccinations to be unmasked and make a big deal about enforcement, my 7 year old daughter is definitely going to want the vaccination. She has already asked for it because she knows we got it and she wants to ditch the mask at school.
I'm not trying to say MIS-C isn't a concern, but we know it is caused by the Covid virus itself. There is still a lot of research on this specific condition, but if you're worried about a vaccine inducing MIS-C, you've got to also be worried about an actual Covid infection causing it (and possibly causing a worse case). Not getting vaccinated doesn't prevent MIS-C.
jopatura
AG
No, and I agree with that.

But I like the vaccine a lot less for my kids if a) they could get MIS-C, b) they still could get COVID and get MIS-C. If the vaccine trials could show with considerable sample size that kids don't get MIS-C after catching COVID after being vaccinated, that would make it important enough for me to vaccinate my kids.

For adults, the vaccine is important because it can prevent death as well as lower your chances of getting it (but it doesn't completely knock out those chances).

For kids, death is pretty much off the table anyways. So I'm looking for other things that make the vaccine worth it for my children.

For what it's worth, they get the flu shot every year and still manage to catch the flu every year (except this year but flu was weird this year). So I'm skeptical at best that the COVID vaccine is really the end all to be all for kids when we know how kids are straight up Petri dishes anyways.
bigtruckguy3500
harge57 said:

I'm not saying kids need to be vaccinated. I'm just boggled at how boggled you are that it's somehow boggling that someone would choose to vaccinate their kids against COVID.
speck
AG
harge57 said:

to limit chances of serious illness to themselves and others.

You rest your argument on your belief that the common strains are not serious for young people. Do you intend to take them to a COVID party while they are still a "young person" to guarantee they get it before they move into a higher risk age bracket?

(Additionally, I have enough friends with long-haul issues to say this isn't something you want to get.)
harge57
AG
speck said:

harge57 said:

You rest your argument on your belief that the common strains are not serious for young people. Do you intend to take them to a COVID party while they are still a "young person" to guarantee they get it before they move into a higher risk age bracket?

(Additionally, I have enough friends with long-haul issues to say this isn't something you want to get.)

I would rather give my kid COVID than give them the vaccine. And to my earlier point about antibody testing before vaccination my kids have most likely already beaten COVID. My wife and I did not quarantine from our kids when we had COVID. We were pretty much asymptomatic except some loss of smell, but the risk of something bad occurring from them being exposed to COVID is basically 0.

There have been 10 million kids that have had COVID and the risk of that is VERY well known. (None). Basically as long as they don't have a very significant existing health problem then they are 100% fine and most likely will not even have symptoms.

Now if 1 million 5 year olds take the vaccine and there are absolutely no issues then the risk of the vaccine will approach the same level of COVID.

I am really not arguing the vaccine isn't safe for kids. It most likely is absolutely fine. I give my kids a bunch of other vaccines with no issue.

My issue is there is no purpose to give a kid the vaccine. And without it being substantially proven I fall on the side of no intervention.
Forum Troll
AG
There's always the possibility of long term (years and years from now) side effects of COVID infections that we don't know about yet since its only been around 18 months or so. Could end up causing something like shingles or worse induce cancer like HPV does or some heart issue like we've seen in some infections.

Or it could cause nothing.

With the way the vaccine works, long term effects from it don't seem plausible.
KidDoc
AG
The risk to kids is small for sure, but it is not none. Especially 15-25 the risk of death is significantly more than flu.

Now I'm sure almost all of those young deaths had complicating conditions but that data is hard to find.

Swimming and riding in a car and suicide are still more likely to kill people under 25, but to say the risk is none is hyperbolic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The_Fox
KidDoc said:

The risk to kids is small for sure, but it is not none. Especially 15-25 the risk of death is significantly more than flu.

Now I'm sure almost all of those young deaths had complicating conditions but that data is hard to find.

Swimming and riding in a car and suicide are still more likely to kill people under 25, but to say the risk is none is hyperbolic.

If your risk is greater from riding in the car, that risk is not worth even crossing your mind.
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
harge57 said:

speck said:

harge57 said:

I would rather give my kid COVID then give them the vaccine. And to my earlier point about antibody testing before vaccination my kids have most likely have already beaten COVID. My wife and I did not quarantine from our kids when we had COVID. We were pretty much asymptomatic except some loss of smell, but the risk of something bad occurring from them being exposed to COVID is basically 0.

There have been 10 million kids that have had COVID and the risk of that is VERY well known. (None). Basically as long as they don't have a very significant existing health problem then they are 100% fine and most likely will not even have symptoms.

Now if 1 million 5 year olds take the vaccine and there are absolutely no issues then the risk of the vaccine will approach the same level of COVID.

I am really not arguing the vaccine isn't safe for kids. It most likely is absolutely fine. I give my kids a bunch of other vaccines with no issue.

My issue is there is no purpose to give a kid the vaccine. And without it being substantially proven I fall on the side of no intervention.

Concur 1000%
harge57
AG
I mean its literally 1 in a million.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-and-society-are-failing-children-in-the-covid-era/
speck
AG
harge57 said:

speck said:

harge57 said:

I would rather give my kid COVID then give them the vaccine. And to my earlier point about antibody testing before vaccination my kids have most likely have already beaten COVID. My wife and I did not quarantine from our kids when we had COVID. We were pretty much asymptomatic except some loss of smell, but the risk of something bad occurring from them being exposed to COVID is basically 0.

You asked for a rational argument. I gave you one. I don't expect to change your mind on a TexAgs forum but you should know there are valid alternate viewpoints.

Just curious... did your children get the chickenpox vaccine?
bigtruckguy3500
harge57 said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-and-society-are-failing-children-in-the-covid-era/
That graph depicts mortality. Do you have any data on morbidity?
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

I would rather give my kid COVID then give them the vaccine.
This is a rather interesting position. I don't understand why in this situation just giving your kids the vaccine isn't preferred to them getting COVID and then getting the vaccine. I am curious to understand the rationale.
The_Fox
bigtruckguy3500 said:

harge57 said:

That graph depicts mortality. Do you have any data on morbidity?
Do you have one for morbidity from Covid in young children after they have already had Covid?

I bet the number is so small that it is not even worth discussing.
Post removed:
by user
88planoAg
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Quote:

This is a rather interesting position. I don't understand why in this situation just giving your kids the vaccine isn't preferred to them getting COVID and then getting the vaccine. I am curious to understand the rationale.
I don't think parents who would choose to not vaccinate for covid would turn around and vaccinate after their kid tests positive for covid, if that is what you are saying here. Not sure why they would, as durable immunity seems to be a thing in the recovered.
rbcs_2
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

rbcs_2 said:

Quote:

Because Covid isn't dangerous to kids.
Not following how that's relevant. If one is willing to vaccinate their kids, why wait until after they have already gotten COVID? Why not vaccinate before?

That's what I was responding to.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Two things --

1. I'm more concerned your wife would care more about a physician that she doesn't know and what they tell her about the kids getting the vaccine -- i.e. why does that person have more credence than your opinion as to their dad/her husband (I assume this is the case)... there's no huge rush per say that demands disrespecting your wishes, IMO...there is time for compromise for sure.

2. As someone who lost a child at 18 months to a "1 in a million cancer" one of the only reasons I am able to function daily and am not daily haunted by losing him is because I know a) we did not "cause" and could not have prevented it and b) there was no option for saving him via treatment. I implore you to realize the 1 in a million, while low, does happen -- either from COVID or from vaccine just as it does from super rare cancers like my son's. That understood I would ask you and your wife "Do you wish to have made the choice for your children knowing that 1 in a million chance or not?" That would be something to consider.

Perhaps the best option, for now, is to let it ride and give your kids a homework assignment to work on together over the next few months to research reputable websites and possibly decide for themselves. Critically analyze the options for and against. You will not only prove your trust in their judgment but allow them to learn and grow. Based on their opinions and argument then you and your wife may collectively feel ok with whatever choice is made.

I can promise you, you do NOT want to be the one to choose to give them the vaccine (against your gut) and something goes haywire and you have that on your conscience.

edit: I am not medical, I have not posted on this board before, weirdly enough I looked at it today and saw this post and felt compelled to respond. I'm just a boring old mom of three kids
sornman
AGGODDESS said:

Two things --

1. I'm more concerned your wife would care more about a physician that she doesn't know and what they tell her about the kids getting the vaccine -- i.e. why does that person have more credence than your opinion as to their dad/her husband (I assume this is the case)... there's no huge rush per say that demands disrespecting your wishes, IMO...there is time for compromise for sure.

2. As someone who lost a child at 18 months to a "1 in a million cancer" one of the only reasons I am able to function daily and am not daily haunted by losing him is because I know a) we did not "cause" and could not have prevented it and b) there was no option for saving him via treatment. I implore you to realize the 1 in a million, while low, does happen -- either from COVID or from vaccine just as it does from super rare cancers like my son's. That understood I would ask you and your wife "Do you wish to have made the choice for your children knowing that 1 in a million chance or not?" That would be something to consider.

Perhaps the best option, for now, is to let it ride and give your kids a homework assignment to work on together over the next few months to research reputable websites and possibly decide for themselves. Critically analyze the options for and against. You will not only prove your trust in their judgment but allow them to learn and grow. Based on their opinions and argument then you and your wife may collectively feel ok with whatever choice is made.

I can promise you, you do NOT want to be the one to choose to give them the vaccine (against your gut) and something goes haywire and you have that on your conscience.

edit: I am not medical, I have not posted on this board before, weirdly enough I looked at it today and saw this post and felt compelled to respond. I'm just a boring old mom of three kids
What about the inverse of that?

Quote:

I can promise you, you do NOT want to be the one to choose to not to give them the vaccine (against your gut) and something goes haywire and you have that on your conscience.

I think that is kind of the issue on both sides here. Do, or do not, if something happens, from either the vaccine or from covid, you will be questioning your decision.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Well. My (personal) thought is we don't have a choice to be exposed to Covid... we have a choice to get the vaccine. I hope that makes sense. It's certainly a you never know, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I was just trying to throw out there the perspective of making choice you may later regret, is all.
BowSowy
AG
rbcs_2 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

rbcs_2 said:

Quote:

Because Covid isn't dangerous to kids.
Not following how that's relevant. If one is willing to vaccinate their kids, why wait until after they have already gotten COVID? Why not vaccinate before?

That's what I was responding to.
I think the guy meant "I would rather give my kid COVID than give them the vaccine."
rbcs_2
AG
Ah you are very likely correct. Never mind if that's the case.
Nosmo
AG
From the Scientific Article article referenced above:

Quote:

Mortality rate per million for children aged 5-14 in the U.S. for COVID-19 (March-October 2020) and other leading causes of death (March-October 2018). Data from "COVID-19 as the Leading Cause of Death in the United States," by Steven H. Woolf, et al., JAMA, Vol. 325, December 17, 2020. Credit: Nason Maani
More recent data from CDC since virus began:

Demographic Trends of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the US reported to CDC

0-4 years old = 7.2 deaths per million
5-17 years old = 6.6 deaths per million

Total deaths for 0-17 years old = 500.

74 million people.
Charpie
AG
Thank you for your post. I remember your situation well and it was heartbreaking seeing y'all go through that.
samurai_science
bucky91 said:

I have 2 daughters, 17 and 14 and the wife is wanting to have them get the COVID vaccine. I am not wanting to. Risk v reward is slight for kids. I would rather hold out and see some results and more info on an experimental vaccine. Kids pediatrician pushing it. Would love to send my wife to a local Austin doctor to present an alternate view...
No reason a 17 and 14 year old should get it......

Windy City Ag
AG
Man . . .look at that screen. The early 80s called. They want you to return the DOS PC when you are finished with it.
Mookie
AG
My 17 year old is getting the vax not because he fears covid or getting sick, but because we think the idiots at every level of beurocracy will make vaccines or weekly testing mandatory at places like A&M.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.