Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

66,599 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charpie said:

I think the farther away you are from town, the less you'll see masks around Austin. In my hood (Lakeline) there are lots of folks still using them.
Lots of other things improve as well as you move further away from Austin!
bay fan
S
amercer said:

When is it disrespectful? Well for sure it is when if ****s things up for other people.

My friend was at his 7 year olds soccer game on Saturday. The county I'm in requires masks everywhere. This one guy wasn't wearing one, and when ask to do so threw a big fit about it. Game was canceled on the spot and everyone was sent home.

At my kids game the next day one of the dads didn't have a mask on, but was just sort of nonchalantly sipping a soda the whole time. No one seemed to care.

I think we are way way past people wearing them as a sign of solidarity, since we've decided that as a country we are 100% not all in this together, but at the very least when you decide to be a badass and make a scene about your political stance on masks, try not to **** up 50 other people's day.
Is your take the man throwing a fit at a children's soccer game was a victim? If so, sounds like that dad is going to be the loud mouth that ruins a lot of things for his kids through the years.

Parents don't get to pick and choose the rules they follow and expect their kids to follow rules as infractions come to mean things. It's a pretty poor parenting plan and ridiculous to throw a tantrum and ruin a youth sports event.

Edited to add I don't wear a mask when outdoors now that I am fully vaccinated unless surrounded by others who do. In that case I am fine with using one because I don't know their circumstances.
BiochemAg97
AG
96ags said:

fig96 said:

Not a noticeable change in suburban Austin, everywhere I've gone is still requiring them.
I live in Georgetown and mask usage is WAY down. I haven't worn one since the mandate lifted and haven't had anyone say a word anywhere.

In two restaurants and Academy just yesterday and mask usage was maybe 20%.

I was also at a Texas baseball game (in Austin) on Sunday and they weren't enforcing the mask.
Was at WilCo muster in GT last night. Outdoors and Mask optional. Saw 1 person out of 300+ wearing a mask.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
I generally don't wear a mask into restaurants, but I do worry in certain restaurants, especially if they're primarily staffed by younger folks. Is it unreasonable to think that some 20 year old Twitter warrior will mess with my food if I'm not double masked?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
bay fan said:

Edited to add I don't wear a mask when outdoors now that I am fully vaccinated unless surrounded by others who do. In that case I am fine with using one because I don't know their circumstances.

If you wear a mask, especially after being vaccinated, especially if outdoors. It doesn't matter what the other people's feels are, your stance and their fear is not backed by science, and you're enabling their psychosis.

I'm teaching my children to think independently, not to believe everything people in charge tell them without doing their own research and thinking things through.

Rules for the sale of rules, are stupid. The antithesis of the American ideal of independence and freedom. My children are encouraged to question things that are illogical, stupid, and or pointless.
beerad12man
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

bay fan said:

If you wear a mask, especially after being vaccinated, especially if outdoors. It doesn't matter what the other people's feels are, your stance and their fear is not backed by science, and you're enabling their psychosis.

I'm teaching my children to think independently, not to believe everything people in charge tell them without doing their own research and thinking things through.

Rules for the sale of rules, are stupid. The antithesis of the American ideal of independence and freedom. My children are encouraged to question things that are illogical, stupid, and or pointless.
Love it. Wish more thought this way.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

bay fan said:

Edited to add I don't wear a mask when outdoors now that I am fully vaccinated unless surrounded by others who do. In that case I am fine with using one because I don't know their circumstances

Thank you for your service.

fig96
AG
Already clarified much of this, the big one being there's a difference between not wanting to wear a mask and intentionally being an ******* and not wearing a mask with the intent of making other uncomfortable. I don't believe I called you anything directly, apologies if you felt I did. Though if I recall the part of your post that staff apparently edited was rather passive aggressive.

No, I won't always wear a mask, but I'll respect the rules that businesses put in place. I expect things to start to open up this summer.

My response to the other poster about their child was based on the fact that they claimed I was making things up, as well as not understanding how them having a 9 month old was relevant as the bulk of that pregnancy didn't happen during Covid. We're erring on the side of the caution based on the info we have and other factors, I'd expect you and your family to make your own decisions. And I hope your wife and little one are healthy and happy.

As far as what we could have done early on, there was zero organized response nationally, just no real plan for how to handle things or how to move forward. We delayed any kind of action initially and did an awful job rolling out testing and managing PPE, offered minimal help to small businesses, and made lots of other errors in the overall management of this. But yeah, we probably won't agree.

My last paragraph was directed more at the general anti-mask contingent and other comments on this thread and in general on this board, apologies if that doesn't apply to you.
dermdoc
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

bay fan said:

My question for all the mask proponents is
"Where is the spike we were warned about?"

Abbott removed the mask mandate six weeks ago.

And who is calling the pro mask folks on it?

It is almost, dare I say, a double standard.

Science?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wakesurfer817
BadMoonRisin said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

bay fan said:

Edited to add I don't wear a mask when outdoors now that I am fully vaccinated unless surrounded by others who do. In that case I am fine with using one because I don't know their circumstances

Thank you for your service.

So about the "I work with ******s" clip. Is your point that only ******ed people wear masks, or that if you wear a mask you are ******ed? If so - is being "******ed" an insult or something to be ashamed of?

In any case - if you are curious about what folks who actually work with those with special needs (I know - sooooo politically correct of me - sorry - "******ed") think about masks (and if they all wear them) - here's a place you can visit and ask them yourself:

https://aggieachieve.tamu.edu/

beerad12man
AG
Good god man. Relax.
Wakesurfer817
You're right of course. I should just let it go. Live and learn.
beerad12man
AG
It's just a joke from a movie, and not meant to be taken literally. He's probably saying that blindly following along to outdoor mask wearing makes one look silly as it isn't marred in any logic and/or science. Not a direct shot a mentally challenged people.

That's the politically correct way to think about the joke. Don't over think it
Wakesurfer817
Yes, I get it. All fun and games until a joke lands a little close to home. Tougher is better though.

And normally I let it go on by. Long day today. Just need a beer.
JB
AG
Rip coolerguy.
Bassmaster
AG
fig96 said:

Already clarified much of this, the big one being there's a difference between not wanting to wear a mask and intentionally being an ******* and not wearing a mask with the intent of making other uncomfortable. I don't believe I called you anything directly, apologies if you felt I did. Though if I recall the part of your post that staff apparently edited was rather passive aggressive.

No, I won't always wear a mask, but I'll respect the rules that businesses put in place. I expect things to start to open up this summer.

My response to the other poster about their child was based on the fact that they claimed I was making things up, as well as not understanding how them having a 9 month old was relevant as the bulk of that pregnancy didn't happen during Covid. We're erring on the side of the caution based on the info we have and other factors, I'd expect you and your family to make your own decisions. And I hope your wife and little one are healthy and happy.

As far as what we could have done early on, there was zero organized response nationally, just no real plan for how to handle things or how to move forward. We delayed any kind of action initially and did an awful job rolling out testing and managing PPE, offered minimal help to small businesses, and made lots of other errors in the overall management of this. But yeah, we probably won't agree.

My last paragraph was directed more at the general anti-mask contingent and other comments on this thread and in general on this board, apologies if that doesn't apply to you.
Do you really believe that people who aren't wearing masks are doing so with the intent of making others uncomfortable? That is absurd. People aren't wearing masks because 1) they don't want to, 2) they don't think they work, or 3) both.
coolerguy12
AG
JB said:

Rip coolerguy.

Test

[You are on thin ice. - Staff]
dermdoc
AG
So the other thread disappeared?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old Buffalo
AG
coolerguy12 said:

JB said:

Rip coolerguy.

Test
Old Buffalo
AG
Old Buffalo
AG
Old Buffalo said:

dermdoc said:

So the other thread disappeared?

[Yes and we don't appreciate your repeated trolling on this forum. Consider this a warning. - Staff]

EDIT: Oof. quoted that right when Staph edited....
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
coolerguy12 said:

JB said:

Rip coolerguy.

Test
You're going to get banned. But don't worry, just for fifteen days.
fig96
AG
Bassmaster said:

fig96 said:

Do you really believe that people who aren't wearing masks are doing so with the intent of making others uncomfortable? That is absurd. People aren't wearing masks because 1) they don't want to, 2) they don't think they work, or 3) both.
If you read what you bolded, I made a clear differentiation.

Everyone? Absolutely not.

Are there people that post here that literally talk about the joy they take in making others feel uncomfortable? Go read the posts.

I also feel like I missed some excitement
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Yesterday Dermdoc was moderated here. I stand by some of those moderator actions. However, the moderator also left an edit suggesting that Derm is a repeat troller here. That was unfair and is not representative of what the admin believes to be true. I was able to connect with him and apologize - I extend that same apology here.
AggieAuditor
AG
WatchOle said:

Yesterday Dermdoc was moderated here. I stand by some of those moderator actions. However, the moderator also left an edit suggesting that Derm is a repeat troller here. That was unfair and is not representative of what the admin believes to be true. I was able to connect with him and apologize - I extend that same apology here.

The moderator on this board is very keen to attack and make their opinions known. Pretty much a normal poster using the moderator login
CSAG96
AG
This is a great trip down memory lane 3 months later.
coolerguy12
AG
CSAG96 said:

This is a great trip down memory lane 3 months later.

I'll be honest, I never thought we would make it 3 months so this is nice to look back on. Figured we would all be dead b now.
Picadillo
The Eagle was quick to jump all over Gov Abbott after he lifted the mask mandate. They were echoing the Biden "Neanderthal thinking" comments and of course were made to look foolish in the weeks following. Not holding my breath for retraction.
Capitol Ag
AG
Picadillo said:

The Eagle was quick to jump all over Gov Abbott after he lifted the mask mandate. They were echoing the Biden "Neanderthal thinking" comments and of course were made to look foolish in the weeks following. Not holding my breath for retraction.

there was a lot of overreaction over Abbott's lifting of the mask mandate. Turns out he made the right call.
c-jags
Capitol Ag said:

Picadillo said:

there was a lot of overreaction over Abbott's lifting of the mask mandate. Turns out he made the right call.

I don't think there's anybody debating that he made the right call. It's more of a desire to see the critics of that opinion say that they were wrong.

It's an "I told you so" position which is petty. But in a world where most of us WANT to trust the media, they continue to print editorials as actual news with a scream and whisper their retractions.

I'm not trying to be all "fake news" but I want to be able to watch CNN or read the DMN and know I'm getting factual information. No opinions about Abbot in the front page and no apologies for being wrong.
Teslag
AG
It's not just the media. Government leaders and county judges from Beto to Lena Hidalgo roasted Abbott. Basically called him a murderer. And people ate it up.
PJYoung
AG
Their attitude is more like: Yeah he was lucky... THIS time.

FACTS be damned.
aTm2004
AG
Hmm

GAC06
AG
Surely some peer reviewed study came out merely weeks after that to show that masks were finally now effective at stopping the spread of respiratory viruses, right?
aTm2004
AG

This board has been very quiet about Fauci's emails.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.