Received Vaccine--After effects!

18,461 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spadilly
oneeyedag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you who've received the Pfizer vaccine, did you have any after effects?

Wife is getting her first shot tomorrow!

Wife is worried as we will be driving from Virginia to Miami on Wednesday to watch the Ags BTHO UNC.
bigtruckguy3500
Hours 20-40 were pretty bad for me. Was mostly back to normal by hour 48.

Edit: Here's my exact experience

Vaccinated with Pfizer around 1600 on 12/22:
-Woke up 14 hours post vaccination with a slightly sore arm, some headache, but I had a little bit of a headache going into the vaccination. Otherwise felt ok
-18 hours post vaccine started feeling a little fatigued with some mildly sensitive skin and low back myalgias
-20-28 hours post vaccine started getting really fatigued, started feeling warm (temp peaked at 98.5), whole body felt pretty achy and sensitive, headache same intensity
-Attempted to sleep 28-38 hours post vaccination, but couldn't fall asleep for hours, very achy, warm, uncomfortable. Woke up multiple times through the night. Resting heart rate was in the 70's, when it's normally in the 60s
-Around hour 36/37 post vaccination I started feeling ok and was able to sleep a little
-Hours 38-48 felt tired, but probably because of a lack of sleep more than anything else, but started noticing some MSK pains, and stiffness, like my old sciatica coming back
-Hours 54-62, slept really well
-Hours 62 onwards, pretty much back to normal. But I attempted to go for a run, and was slower than normal and developed a side stich that I normally don't get.
-At hour 72, decided to take some naproxen even though I'm pretty much back to normal (I think). Minimal arm soreness/trigger point at injection site.

Wondering if I had an asymptomatic infection at some point.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
By far the most common I have heard reported is injection site pain and swelling, which is what I experienced. A few colleagues also experienced body aches and fatigue. Nothing major though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MAROON
AG
A friend had low grade fever and nights sweats on day and 2 and 3 after getting the vaccine. But he also says he had a bad reaction to the Shingles vaccine - might just be bad genes.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
george07
AG
My wife got it two weeks ago. No effects at all other than some soreness in her arm.
oneeyedag
Thanks hopefully all will be well.
scb126
AG
I got mine last week and have had no effects. I was even still recovering from a head cold at the time. My arm was less sore than the flu shot. Out of about 25 people that I directly work with, only one had any reaction and she had previously contracted and recovered from COVID-19. No one knows if that is a coincidence but she had a fever and a lot of muscle pain/muscle fatigue. She said she was back to normal after about 4 days or so.
BSpencer00
AG
Felt about as sore as a tetanus shot for me. Other than arm soreness, I had zero issues with the first shot (got it last Thursday). We shall see what shot 2 brings.

On another note, my brother (also a physician) had COVID back in June. He had more systemic symptoms with his first shot (fevers, chills, etc). This makes sense immunologically if he still had antibodies from the original infection.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GAC06
AG
Can someone explain why this vaccine would cause symptoms? I thought the mRNA vaccine was supposed to avoid that.
AggieFlyboy
AG
GAC06 said:

Can someone explain why this vaccine would cause symptoms? I thought the mRNA vaccine was supposed to avoid that.

The symptoms are caused by your body attacking the spike protein that the vaccine cause your cells to manufacture. In short, the symptoms are a sign of your immune system working properly
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
Husband got vaccine and had a sore arm at the injection site and mild low back pain for about a day. Said he felt "off" for about 24hrs.
lazuras_dc
AG
Everything perfectly fine for about 8 hours then Injection site pretty painful for 24 hrs. Axillary lymph node region and sternocleidomastoid soreness. A little tiredness for 24 hrs.

Now feel great. Injection site just sore.
texaggie90
AG
Wife and I both had Moderna and had no side effects except woke up today(day after injection) with a sore arm at injection area. Otherwise, we've both felt perfectly normal.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Arm pain for several days.
cone
AG
family member who got Pfizer had low grade fever and upper body aches that evening

gone by the next morning, slept fine
DuncanAg
AG
24hrs post injection (Pfizer) and only arm soreness.
Theblondewonder
AG
I received the pfizer vaccine 12/17. No side effects whatsoever. 34 y/o female.
88planoAg
AG
So people who have had covid are getting the vaccine? I thought the verdict was still out on that?
agsalaska
AG
88planoAg said:

So people who have had covid are getting the vaccine? I thought the verdict was still out on that?
Yea seems like they should be last, minus a couple of narrow exceptions.
DadHammer
AG
pants
If asymptomatic infections are common, a lot of people who had the virus will be getting vaccinated without knowing they had it.
oneeyedag
I hope this is not the case for her, as she may not enjoy her time in Miami. For someone who takes care of the mentally/psychologically sick, she's a terrible patient.
AggieUSMC
AG
I received my shot on Dec 24. Was fine all day with no symptoms at all. Mildly sore arm on Dec 25. No symptoms at all from Dec 26 to this day.
wsteed311
AG
Is tylenol and or motrin ok to take post vaccine in order to combat side effects?
aggiederelict
I think that is discouraged to let the body provide a necessary immune response. Will let physicians confirm this.
Jack Boyett
AG
My 89 yr old grandmother who lives in a nursing home and has severe dementia got vaccinated last week. Side effect of testing positive for corona today.
lazuras_dc
AG
aggiederelict said:

I think that is discouraged to let the body provide a necessary immune response. Will let physicians confirm this.

I concur with this statement
oneeyedag
She got it at 10:30 this morning, and all is well so far. Says she felt a little icky about 3 hours after but says she is feeling fine for now.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, even though I felt pretty crappy, I chose not to take ibuprofen or Tylenol as there's some data to suggest that taking either post vaccination results in a lower antibody titer.

Chances are you'd still develop a protective level of antibodies even if you took some, but I prefer to get the full effect. If I had to take one, I think Tylenol would have less of an effect than ibuprofen, but not sure.
DuncanAg
AG
For those that have received the Pfizer vaccine...are they scheduling your booster at < 21 days? Hospital I received at booking at 18-20 days.

Noticed the EUA says can be given within a 4 day window prior...just curious what your seeing?

Marcus Aurelius
AG
88planoAg said:

No hard recommendations. Loosely they say wait a couple of mos and receive vaccine. For mild cases - studies have shown antibodies wane to near zero. I had it - mild. I got a call for the vaccine around a mo after covid. I did not want to pass it up hence received it. 2nd Jan 11.

If you have had severe COVID I would wait longer.
cc_ag92
AG
How are you defining mild versus severe?
Thank you for all of your help!!
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Subjective - but, I'd say severe is anyone requiring hospitalization and/or oxygen. Or protracted COVID cases with prolonged fever. Totally my guesstimate. More solid CDC recommendations are coming.
KidDoc
AG
The only study I know of was looking at Varicella titers in children pre-treated with tylenol and found a decreased titer but not clinically significant. In those that were given PABA after the dose there was no difference.

I agree NSAIDs seem more likely to decrease response.

I had a no show so found this really good meta-analysis about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5027726/
-------------------------------
The timing of administration of antipyretic analgesics appears to be paramount. In all studies that reported a negative effect on antibody response, the medications were given prophylactically. Interestingly, this effect was not seen when acetaminophen was given only four hours after immunization.6 Additionally, all reported decreases in antibody response occurred only with novel antigen vaccination, with little to no impact observed following booster immunizations. These findings underscore the notion that relationship between antigen exposure and the timing of the medication dosage plays a vital role in modifying the immune response, and this set of observations can direct the focus of future research to explore the underlying mechanism.

-------------

So it seems that taking meds after vaccination should be fine. Taking it before likely not a great idea.
cc_ag92
AG
Thanks! My 70yo uncle recovered at home, but he had fever for 12 days. He doesn't think he needs it. I'm hoping that the CDC gives us more specific guidance soon.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.