Received Vaccine--After effects!

18,577 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spadilly
88planoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

88planoAg said:

So people who have had covid are getting the vaccine? I thought the verdict was still out on that?
No hard recommendations. Loosely they say wait a couple of mos and receive vaccine. For mild cases - studies have shown antibodies wane to near zero. I had it - mild. I got a call for the vaccine around a mo after covid. I did not want to pass it up hence received it. 2nd Jan 11.

If you have had severe COVID I would wait longer.
Thanks. I've had minimal symptoms. I think I'll get an antibody test before the vaccine. I'm also not in the medical profession so not constantly exposed.
CFTXAG10
AG
Got the Moderna yesterday. Nothing but a sore arm.
DukeMu
The side effects of the COVID-19 vaccine should be like a flu shot or less.

The vaccine is not a virus: alive, dead, or weakened. It is a synthetic RNA (which is why the Pfizer vaccine is fragile and must be stored at -100F: dry ice or ultra-freezer) that is going to stimulate production of the spike protein (by your own body) found within the sizeable SARS CoV-2 package.

What people may feel after the vaccine shot is not an illness, but your immune response. Cytokines including interferon will spike. But that's a good thing and should subside. Don't worry - you can't get infectiously "sick." If you have been regularly exercising that should optimize your immune response.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Moderna
Sore arm nothing else
AggieMPH2005
Moderna yesterday, today: sore arm, low fever for a couple hours
oneeyedag
Wife is fine, actually driving almost in Miami. I did get a nice MFer on travelling slug bug to the shoulder. So she's back to her ole polish attitude. Has her next shot on 1/21.
double aught
AG
So is an unpleasant immune response more likely with the second dose?

Took my first dose of Moderna's vaccine yesterday and feel fine.
cone
AG
that's what the safety data showed
ag0207
AG
My experience:

Day 0, 12/29, 10 am received the Moderna vaccine. When it was administered it was the least painful shot I have ever had. 6-8 hours post vaccination my arm became sore but still feeling overall well.

Day 1: Woke up with a stiff neck and headache. Attributed it to having a poor night sleep (when I rolled over onto my arm it woke me up)
Headache lingered all day long, overall felt sore. Arm where I received the shot hurt more than any other immunization than I have ever had.
Day 1 pm, low grade fever, aches, headache. I have avoided ibuprofen because of the conflicting literature but broke down and took some Tylenol. Within a half hour I felt much better.

Day 2, 12/31, am-woke up feeling just like I did yesterday. Headache, low grade temp, muscle aches. Immunization site feeling better.

Vaccinations usually don't bother me. The only time I felt a little crummy after one was when I received the flu mist. Felt similar to the way I feel with this one except no sore arm and it only lasted for 24 hours. I am not looking forward to the second round.

cone
AG
ride the lightning
ag0207
AG
I was wondering if I had an asymptomatic infection in the past as well. Since May 1st I have had 5000ish face to face interactions with patients and I was amazed that I have yet to pick it up (that I know of). Maybe we have had more robust responses because of a previous a symptomatic infection?
KidDoc
AG
That is a logical explanation. I know my titers have still been negative despite full clinics all year and thus far I only have mild arm soreness from my Moderna shot yesterday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PJYoung
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Got the Moderna yesterday. Nothing but a sore arm.

That's all I had when I was in the Moderna phase 3 trial. The fever and headache didn't happen until about 15 hours after the 2nd shot.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Got Rd 1 of Moderna today about 11:30. So far, just a very sore arm. Never get a sore arm from flu shots, this is more like a tetanus shot so far.
ag0207
AG
36 hours past the first round of the vaccine and all side effects gone.
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
Wife and I had Moderna this am. All good so far. A little soreness in the arm is all
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Got first dose of Pfizer on the 29th; female, age 42-VERY sore arm but no upper respiratory side effects. My boss (male, age late 50s), got his dose on the same day and he experienced fever/chills.

I work in health science with people handling the live virus so plz don't @ me because I am not an old.
Momster
I received Moderna vaccine last week, my husband received his Pfizer vaccine several days before Christmas. Both of us had injection site soreness. Both of us felt a little foggy headed on injection day as well. Post day 1 with some arm weakness. Day 2 post injection for me was the worst. Pain in my shoulder joint and elbow joint on injection arm was pretty severe, and all I wanted to do was sleep all day. Day 3 post injection felt pretty much normal. They say 2nd dose may bring more side effects. Hoping it won't be too bad.
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
Got Moderna yesterday (12/31). Very sore arm at injection site for about 18 hrs. Now just slightly sore. No other symptoms.
doctorAg13
AG
Got Moderna 2 days ago. Sore arm the next day but pretty much gone today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Got the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Would recommend taking a prophylactic dose of Tylenol or ibuprofen about 10 hours after administration. Went with 5 other docs to get our second shot. All 5 of us developed chills, bodyaches, and fatigue about 12 hours after (all of us only had arm soreness with the first shot). Probably didn't help that I decided to do a vigorous workout later in the day.

Pretty reassuring to feel my body mounting an immune response so quickly after the 2nd dose though.
cone
AG
I thought another doc on here said to avoid inflammatory mediators cuz it might reduce efficacy

so Tylenol?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
cone said:

I thought another doc on here said to avoid inflammatory mediators cuz it might reduce efficacy

so Tylenol?

Probably not something to be concerned about, especially if you are doing this for the second dose.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5027726/

Bert315
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Got the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Would recommend taking a prophylactic dose of Tylenol or ibuprofen about 10 hours after administration. Went with 5 other docs to get our second shot. All 5 of us developed chills, bodyaches, and fatigue about 12 hours after (all of us only had arm soreness with the first shot). Probably didn't help that I decided to do a vigorous workout later in the day.

Pretty reassuring to feel my body mounting an immune response so quickly after the 2nd dose though.

How long were the side effects from the 2nd dose? Our facility is telling clinical staff to schedule a day off for the day after the shot.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Not sure yet, symptoms significantly improved after taking some Tylenol. I'm still only 24 hours out, but I've heard reports of up to 48 hours afterward.
Bert315
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Not sure yet, symptoms significantly improved after taking some Tylenol. I'm still only 24 hours out, but I've heard reports of up to 48 hours afterward.

So Tylenol cleared it up? Do you feel like you still need the Tylenol at 24 hour mark?
CDub06
AG
Wife got the Moderna vaccine recently and said the arm soreness was less than her last flu shot. We'll see how the 2nd dose goes.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Bert315 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

How long were the side effects from the 2nd dose? Our facility is telling clinical staff to schedule a day off for the day after the shot.
I got my second shot Wednesday and agree with the above after effects; I got the shot around 9:30am and by 6pm, I was feeling it. I felt better by lunch the next day.
wangus12
AG
Moderna yesterday. Pretty sore arm today, but I'm blaming that more on the capability of the guy giving the shot.
docaggie
AG
1st shot of Pfizer before Christmas. Mildly tired after
2nd shot this week. Lightheaded, fever for >24 hours, chills.
From those who work with me, the malaise, myalgias, and chills are really common but quickly dissipate. Fever less common.
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
cone
AG
ride the lightning
double aught
AG
TPS Reports
AG
wangus12 said:

Moderna yesterday. Pretty sore arm today, but I'm blaming that more on the capability of the guy giving the shot.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Got round one of the Moderna vaccine a couple hours ago so far so good... Made the appointment through Walgreens. Wasn't supposed to go until later in the week they had a few more doses in a vial that were going to go bad and were calling people up in case anyone could come on short notice.
cc_ag92
AG
Do you mind sharing the general area?

I received my first dose of Moderna two days ago. The only reaction I've had was a sore arm. I expected worse because I usually feel pretty crappy for about 36 hours after the flu shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.