Received Vaccine--After effects!

18,564 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spadilly
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Do you mind sharing the general area?

I received my first dose of Moderna two days ago. The only reaction I've had was a sore arm. I expected worse because I usually feel pretty crappy for about 36 hours after the flu shot.

Got it in Brazoria County. I had to drive to West Columbia but it was only 20-25 min drive. My mom and aunts are scheduled for Sunday and probably would have gone sooner but were out of town.
cc_ag92
AG
Thanks! I'm trying to help my aunts and uncles find it, so I appreciate the info.
garyt73
AG
Got Moderna yesterday at 1:00 PM. Nothing except very mild tenderness right at injection site.
BreNayPop
AG
I did the Pfizer series

First dose 12/16/20, nothing but arm soreness the day after.

Second dose 1/6/21, Same arm soreness until about hour 20, then mild chills, mild body aches, mild fever (to 101) which was really weird because I felt "Fine" and thought soreness initially was from my workout. Lasted 10 hours. Woke up this morning and all symptoms gone.

I also felt really reassured there was a good immune response after the second dose, despite the "holy crap, did I finally get the Rona?" feeling hours 20-30.

Told my parents (who also work in my clinic and are a week behind me in vaccination) to plan on taking the day after the second shot off. I had just finished seeing patients when I started feeling my symptoms. I take every positive COVID patient (including Rapid negatives but known exposure and presenting with symptoms) our clinic gets and take all call and do all inpatient trying to keep them from being knowingly exposed.... So that's why I was vaccinated ahead of my parents who just do outpatient clinic with 'low risk' patients for those who have asked on other threads. Hospital made a big deal of making sure the inpatient docs got vaccinated with Pics/video etc.
Dad
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

cc_ag92 said:

I received my first dose of Moderna two days ago. The only reaction I've had was a sore arm. I expected worse because I usually feel pretty crappy for about 36 hours after the flu shot.

Got it in Brazoria County. I had to drive to West Columbia but it was only 20-25 min drive. My mom and aunts are scheduled for Sunday and probably would have gone sooner but were out of town.

How did you get scheduled for it? Did you call that particular store or use a web site? I already had mine as a healthcare worker but I have some family members that are asking me how they can get a vaccine. These family members are old with health problems so most will qualify now or fairly soon depending on what stage we are in.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Dad said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

cc_ag92 said:

How did you get scheduled for it? Did you call that particular store or use a web site? I already had mine as a healthcare worker but I have some family members that are asking me how they can get a vaccine. These family members are old with health problems so most will qualify now or fairly soon depending on what stage we are in.

I just got on their website and created an account. Took maybe 5-10 min. Not sure if they restrict you to your county or state but it was super easy. I had my vaccine within 4-5 hours of signing up.

Edit: Not sure if it helped that they had my info on file from several of my prescriptions.
oneeyedag
My wife's colleagues all Docs got their second shot yesterday and a number having flu-like symptoms this morning. Her second shot is scheduled for the 21st.

I am working on the Logistics for my city right now. About half my EMS and Fire got their 1st shot yesterday. Out of about a 100 personnel I had a 48% acceptance.

Police and Sheriffs week after next is higher at 60% with 150 personnel.

So I will see what types of reactions I have with my 1A group.
Not a Bot
AG
Got my second shot yesterday. Zero energy. I'm still laying in bed. Mild headache. If I needed to work I could probably push through it.
Fitch
AG
A nurse friend got her second shot yesterday. No side effects following #1, but 24 hours after dose #2 she reports "chills on and off, major fatigue and malaise".

FWIW, sounds consistent

Also makes me wonder somewhat about symptomatic presentation via reinfections without "getting sick again".
94chem
KidDoc said:

The only study I know of was looking at Varicella titers in children pre-treated with tylenol and found a decreased titer but not clinically significant. In those that were given PABA after the dose there was no difference.

I agree NSAIDs seem more likely to decrease response.

I had a no show so found this really good meta-analysis about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5027726/
-------------------------------
The timing of administration of antipyretic analgesics appears to be paramount. In all studies that reported a negative effect on antibody response, the medications were given prophylactically. Interestingly, this effect was not seen when acetaminophen was given only four hours after immunization.6 Additionally, all reported decreases in antibody response occurred only with novel antigen vaccination, with little to no impact observed following booster immunizations. These findings underscore the notion that relationship between antigen exposure and the timing of the medication dosage plays a vital role in modifying the immune response, and this set of observations can direct the focus of future research to explore the underlying mechanism.

-------------

So it seems that taking meds after vaccination should be fine. Taking it before likely not a great idea.

Why would you eat sunscreen?
94chem
If you have pain, take painkillers. Common sense. Your immune system won't shut down because you popped an Advil.
Dad
AG
oneeyedag said:

My wife's colleagues all Docs got their second shot yesterday and a number having flu-like symptoms this morning. Her second shot is scheduled for the 21st.

I am working on the Logistics for my city right now. About half my EMS and Fire got their 1st shot yesterday. Out of about a 100 personnel I had a 48% acceptance.

Police and Sheriffs week after next is higher at 60% with 150 personnel.

So I will see what types of reactions I have with my 1A group.

Which vaccine was it?

I'm just wondering if I should expect that with Moderna. I got my first shot during lunch and went back to work and worked the next day with no issues. I might try to do it when I'm going to be off of work if it will be like that.
oneeyedag
Phizer
2PacShakur
AG
Crazy to read these immune response experiences and to think how these vaccines only produced a small response in cancer patients. Cancer microenvironments, SMH.
ag0207
AG
Follow up.

My wife had the vaccine the same day I got mine. She had a sore arm but nothing else. However, she developed an injection site reaction 7 days following the shot. Redness, swelling & itching. A topical steroid & antihistamine took care of it over 2-3 days. Evidently it is a know side effect.

I had more of a reaction than she did and I thought that may be a sign that I previously had Covid (asymptomatic/undiagnosed). However, reading the study it made it sound like people that were vaccinated that previously had covid had fewer/less severe side effects.
AustinCountyAg
Sounds like the side effects for the majority are the same, or worse than those who actually contract COVID. I think I will pass
Dad
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Sounds like the side effects for the majority are the same, or worse than those who actually contract COVID. I think I will pass

That is definitely your choice but as someone that has had a lot of family members sick with it, most were the sickest they had ever been in their life when they had it which does not compare to what I have read here.
88planoAg
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I wouldn't discount the disruption a positive test creates for you and family and any contacts you have had, even if your symptoms are minimal to mild. If you don't isolate from family they are in quarantine for up to 14 days after you are considered not contagious anymore, which is 10 days. That is 10 days + 14.

So a vaccine to avoid all of that might be worth it. I've also not seen side effects for 99% of people lasting more than 24-36 hours, and mostly with the second shot.
Not a Bot
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

It is a little pain at the injection site and a day or less of feeling kind of crappy.

A lot of symptomatic Covid infections put people on their butts for several days. We have patients in their 40s who have been in the hospital for over 20 days and we are struggling to get them off of high flow oxygen.

If you have any sort of risk factor, strongly recommend you take the vaccine.
aginlakeway
AG
garyt73 said:

Got Moderna yesterday at 1:00 PM. Nothing except very mild tenderness right at injection site.

Same here. Got shot Tuesday morning. My arm was sore for 48 hours or so. No other side effects.

Will get 2nd shot in 3 weeks.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
ontherocks
AG
Horrible take. Pfizer shot I didn't even know they were done until they told me to get up and leave that's how wussy it was. Didn't feel it, slightest of arm soreness about an inch around where I got the shot for about 48 hours. Had to focus to notice it was even there. About 3 hours after the shot I felt tired for about 15 mins then back to normal. Easiest shot ever, take the shot, old fishing Buddy died a few days ago (49), second cousin died last week (31), aunt just died 2 days ago (69) still working as a hairstylist so life was still good for her. Don't be a statistic for no reason. Likelihood is that nothing happens if you get covid but why chance it when you can take a vaccine for free that's almost 100% effective. Ridiculous IMO. Nobody is dying of the shot, people are dying of covid, easiest decision of my life to take it.
aginlakeway
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Really? Has anyone died or been hospitalized from getting the vaccine?

"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
aginlakeway
AG
ontherocks said:

Horrible take. Pfizer shot I didn't even know they were done until they told me to get up and leave that's how wussy it was. Didn't feel it, slightest of arm soreness about an inch around where I got the shot for about 48 hours. Had to focus to notice it was even there. About 3 hours after the shot I felt tired for about 15 mins then back to normal. Easiest shot ever, take the shot, old fishing Buddy died a few days ago (49), second cousin died last week (31), aunt just died 2 days ago (69) still working as a hairstylist so life was still good for her. Don't be a statistic for no reason. Likelihood is that nothing happens if you get covid but why chance it when you can take a vaccine for free that's almost 100% effective. Ridiculous IMO. Nobody is dying of the shot, people are dying of covid, easiest decision of my life to take it.

Me too. Easy decision. And I am the opposite of a Coronabro.

But 95% percent success rate, and I have a sore arm for a few days? Again, easy decision.
Big Al 1992
AG
Asked on earlier thread - do they give you some sort of certificate to show you've been vaccinated in case you need later on for travel, attending events, passport - even rumors that college students may have to prove they got the vaccine to register for classes?
97ag
AG
Yes. You receive a card that notes which vaccine you received and the dates of administration.
97ag
AG
I'm 24 hours post second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. No side effects other than minor injection site pain at this point.
MasterAggie
AG
Moderna Dose one yesterday. About 34 hours out nothing but a little soreness at injection site.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Moderna on Thurday in Arlington. Injection site sore for a couple of days and fatigue day two. Ok now.
puryearag85
AG
Most people I know had symptoms after the second vacc. I suspect they will find in the future that the dose is a bit high. I too felt terrible for 24 hours after the second inj but worked through it. Easy trade off for me. Believe me, you do not want this disease. Our hospital is a damn graveyard at the moment
AggieLitigator
Moderna

Arm sore 24 hrs
Mild headache day 2-4 lasting 4-6 hrs each day

Very happy I got vaccine
P.U.T.U
AG
Everyone Moderna. Wife kind of out of it for 24 hours with very sore shoulder. Father in law just sore shoulder, mother in law just headaches on and off for 12 hours
oldflyer
AG
Got Moderna shot #1. Sore arm and some mild body aches easily taken care of with a little Tylenol.
nortex97
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I think if the vaccines were worse than the virus (particularly for the target/vulnerable population) we'd have a whole lot of the physicians who do post here letting us know.

Doctors are taking it much more willingly/as a percentage per capita than nurses/other healthcare workers.
Knucklesammich
My parents got the Moderna vaccine last week. My mom had zero issues and my dad had a slightly sore arm. Both mid 70s. Mom has mild COPD and Dad has Bone Cancer.

My MIL got the Pfizer vaccine on Saturday and has a recently diagnosed auto immune disorder and her neurologist suggested very strongly she get the vaccine before starting her treatment. No side effects other than the usual arm soreness.
Lily09
AG
Got my first dose today. Moderna. I'm on maternity leave but heading back to work in a few weeks. Started the process so I feel better about returning to work since I'm on a unit that takes Covid patients.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.