Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,271,090 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Probably not more contagious. The difference between this and the flu is nobody is immune to this.

I may not understand how precise the terminology is for you guys in the bio field...but shouldn't every totally asymptomatic carrier be considered immune?
Old RV Ag
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Probably not more contagious. The difference between this and the flu is nobody is immune to this.

I may not understand how precise the terminology is for you guys in the bio field...but shouldn't every totally asymptomatic carrier be considered immune?
Wouldn't immune also imply you're not contagious to others.
Squadron7
AG
Old RV Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Yeah, I guess that's the basis of my question. Does immune mean you can be infected with no result...or that you cannot even be infected when exposed?
hook60
Simply amazing the effort Dr Coates is giving here. Thank you!
washer1999
AG
I cannot thank you enough for these updates doc! I've send you Facebook page to all of my friends and family. Question for you regarding kids....we have two boys, 11 and 8. As things begin opening back up should we be giving them any of these supplements. If so, which ones and how much?
LeisureSuitLarry
Old RV Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Ever heard of Typhoid Mary?
Old RV Ag
AG
LeisureSuitLarry said:

Old RV Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Typhoid Mary was an asymptomatic carrier - she was definitely infected.
LeisureSuitLarry
Old RV Ag said:

LeisureSuitLarry said:

Old RV Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Typhoid Mary was an asymptomatic carrier - she was definitely infected.
I stand corrected!
lunchbox
washer1999 said:

I cannot thank you enough for these updates doc! I've send you Facebook page to all of my friends and family. Question for you regarding kids....we have two boys, 11 and 8. As things begin opening back up should we be giving them any of these supplements. If so, which ones and how much?
Similar question - what about dosages of the supplements you recommend in the event they become infected?
maroonbeansnrice
AG
Hey lunchbox, I'll dare to stand in momentarily for the professionals...a couple of things if you don;t want to scroll back through pages and pages on this thread (I'm not a doctor, just have a good memory) .and I don;t know if this has changed...but there was some thought to stop taking D if/when infected. I believe it is fine to continue to take all the others. Another FYI, if infected, for pain/fever there was discussion...again this may have changed...to take Tylenol vs the typical NSAIDs (aspiriin, aleve, etc.). And for us adults, if taking Tylenol, maybe don't drink alcohol concurrently. Tough on the liver supposedly.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Is your office starting to do anti-body testing? If so, which test are y'all running with?

Thanks for all you do!
lunchbox
maroonbeansnrice said:

Hey lunchbox, I'll dare to stand in momentarily for the professionals...a couple of things if you don;t want to scroll back through pages and pages on this thread (I'm not a doctor, just have a good memory) .and I don;t know if this has changed...but there was some thought to stop taking D if/when infected. I believe it is fine to continue to take all the others. Another FYI, if infected, for pain/fever there was discussion...again this may have changed...to take Tylenol vs the typical NSAIDs (aspiriin, aleve, etc.). And for us adults, if taking Tylenol, maybe don't drink alcohol concurrently. Tough on the liver supposedly.
Thanks but I was piggy-backing on the question about children. I have a 10yo and 15yo and have stocked up on the supplements that have been recommended. I was wondering if there was a dosage guideline for them if they become infected. And yeah, I know...ask their doctors...just wanting a starting point.
ham98
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm
Healthy children don't seem to have much of a problem beating covid19.
Reveille
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

Yes but this is still likely to be a very small number. Most people estimating 1-2% of total population we are hoping up to 5%. Maybe as high as up to 15% in New York city where we saw most of the cases. But regardless even this is still a very little number.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BiochemAg97
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

I would say an asymptomatic carrier will be immune once they recover. But they got it in the first place, so they weren't immune initially.

My initial point was nobody was immune back before the virus came to the US, so it can spread through the whole population. Once people get it and recover, they likely will be immune for some period of time (we don't know how long because we haven't had enough time to see).

We have talked about the monkey study before, but just to recap. They infected some monkeys with the virus. They got sick, then got better, but the virus lingered for about 28 days. Once they clear the virus, they have recovered and were immune. Then they injected them with more virus, and tested them for virus. No virus, repeatedly retested and no virus over 100 negative tests on 4 monkeys and no positive tests. The virus couldn't infect them again.

So, a carrier isn't immune in the sense that the body hasn't been able to eliminate the virus. They are still infected and spreading virus. An immune person can't be infected by the virus anymore.

Immunity is what stops the spread. If a sick person (or carrier) only comes into contact with immune people, the virus doesn't spread. But if a sick person comes into contact with a susceptible person, but that person becomes a carrier, the virus is still spreading.
BiochemAg97
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Is your office starting to do anti-body testing? If so, which test are y'all running with?

Thanks for all you do!
I'm not that kind of Doctor. PhD not MD.

The company I work for is involved in almost every aspect of the response to this disease, from the early structural work and genetic sequencing, to rtPCR tests, to production of PPE and some of the drugs, to vaccine development, and likely vaccine production when we get there.

We don't currently produce an antibody test. That has repeatedly been answered as we will only put our brand behind a quality antibody test, but we will help scale manufacturing if/when we find the right partner.

As for which antibody test I would recommend... stick with the tests that have EUA from the FDA.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/emergency-use-authorizations#covid19ivd

Some of those only test for IgG which is weeks after exposure but more likely to indicate recovered or near recovered patient. IgM/IgG tests has the ability to detect earlier in the process (IgM shows up before IgG) and could identify someone in the middle of an infection. Not as earlier as a nucleotide test, but if someone is IgM positive and IgG negative, they probably need a PCR test and self quarantine.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Not only am I scientifically challenged, I am apparently technologically challenged as well.

I was meaning to ask Reveille what kind of antibody tests they are running at his clinic, if they are.
Reveille
AG

Not only am I scientifically challenged, I am apparently technologically challenged as well.

I was meaning to ask Reveille what kind of antibody tests they are running at his clinic, if they are.
Yes we are doing the testing at my office.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Running the blood draws or the finger stick test?
lunchbox
ham98 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm
Healthy children don't seem to have much of a problem beating covid19.
I totally get that - but you would think supplements would help in terms of symptom relief or total time of infection.
Reveille
AG

Running the blood draws or the finger stick test?

We are doing the blood tests. Our IgG test actually has a specificity of 99.5% by Abbott labs

The Roche test is IgG and IgM has a specificity of 99.8% and sensitivity of 100% . However, it is being delayed due to shortage of reagents in the lab.

Granitestate
Spike mutation pipeline reveals the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1

Also see
Alta
AG
Circling back to this I got the antibody test done and it came back positive. Based on symptoms I had I'm almost certain that I had it February 17th (although no way to know for certain).
DadHammer
AG
Good for you! You should be immune and good to go. Lucky for you.
Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2687481028201504&id=1998386763777604&__tn__=K-R
beerad12man
AG
So why did we ever close down outdoor activities? Why can I not camp anywhere in the state of Texas next weekend? People at one point were trying to get me to stop golfing.

Encouraging outdoor activities is the best thing we can do. Morale, health, now vitamin d. So many reasons to keep active and outdoors. Outdoor activities in the state of Texas have never been and will never be "super spreaders" and aren't going to overwhelm hospitals. Please stop putting restrictions on it.
BiochemAg97
AG
beerad12man said:

So why did we ever close down outdoor activities? Why can I not camp anywhere in the state of Texas next weekend? People at one point were trying to get me to stop golfing.

Encouraging outdoor activities is the best thing we can do. Morale, health, now vitamin d. So many reasons to keep active and outdoors. Outdoor activities in the state of Texas have never been and will never be "super spreaders" and aren't going to overwhelm hospitals. Please stop putting restrictions on it.

Some of it was so the people staffing those locations could stay home. Some of it was an unfortunate choice of words calling them "shelter in place" and "stay home" orders. Some of it was govt reacting to people who went outside and got "too close to others" or just weren't doing what they were told well enough. Some of it was the Karens who took "stay home stay safe" literally and threw a fit if they saw someone outside.
Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

beerad12man said:

Some of it was so the people staffing those locations could stay home. Some of it was an unfortunate choice of words calling them "shelter in place" and "stay home" orders. Some of it was govt reacting to people who went outside and got "too close to others" or just weren't doing what they were told well enough. Some of it was the Karens who took "stay home stay safe" literally and threw a fit if they saw someone outside.

All of the above! Never a medical reason to close the parks except to protect the park employees.
Counterpoint
AG
Alta said:

Circling back to this I got the antibody test done and it came back positive. Based on symptoms I had I'm almost certain that I had it February 17th (although no way to know for certain).

How bad was it?
Alta
AG
Bad enough to send me to the ER for the first time in 20 years. I had pink eye for a couple days and then at night I had shortness of breath and an atrocious cough. Oddly during the day time I was very tired and achy but the shortness of breath and cough wasn't nearly as bad as at night. My symptoms from onset of pink eye to feeling better was only about a week though. Then I was a bit fatigued for the next week before returning to normal. Never felt like I was dying though - just sick with a really painful cough.
Bobcat06
AG
Is pink eye a symptom of COVID?
Alta
AG
Not sure - just sharing the symptoms I had. I got a positive with an antibody test so it is not possible to know when I had it for sure. This was the only time I've been sick recently and I'll add I had a low fever at ER as well but never checked it again after leaving. Always possible what I had was something else and I was asymptomatic or even the antibody test was a false positive.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Is pink eye a symptom of COVID?
I have read that it is a symptom. Probably comes from rubbing your eyes and that is how the virus gets in.
SkiMo
AG
Also possible that you had both covid and pink eye and they weren't related...just bad luck.
Bobcat06
AG
I'm asking because myself and two other family members had a bad infection in February with pink eye.

However, I've never seen pink eye listed as a symptom of COVID
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.