SCHLOSS IS STAYING

195,801 Views | 1132 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tex117
ctag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it was a tough question, but Zane did a good job asking it. Well done, Zane! You are the Olin Buchanan of your generation! (This is meant as a compliment.)
"But there's a spirit can ne'er be told ... It's the spirit of Aggieland."
Martin Cash
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Quote:

I don't know how much more direct he could be.
I do.

"No".

The question was : "What do you have to say about your future at Aggieland?"

And you want his answer to be "NO?" So you want to see him leave?
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
TX_Aggie37
AG
There is one thing I learned during my time playing ball at this level, and that's the simple fact that most high-level baseball coaches are either good men or good coaches, but rarely both. The only one I ever played for or encountered that I truly believe is both is Tim Tadlock.

I thought Schloss' answer was as direct as he could be without outright saying he's not leaving. It is worth noting that no coach with rumors swirling ever outright says he isn't leaving. Just bad business. I'd love for him to stay, but based on past experience I'll always lean toward him being on the good coach side of the spectrum I mentioned above. I hope he's one of the few that's both.
aTm2004
AG
agcrock2005 said:

The only part I don't like about the answer is the past tense of "I gave this job every ounce..." and not specifically saying he's staying. I tend to over analyze and expect for the worst regarding Aggie sports though because I've been an Aggie for a long time and it's what happens.
Well, given the transcript is not an accurate reflection of what he said, I can see why you're worried. Go listen to him while reading the transcript and you'll see exactly what was said, specifically, "have given." There's no past tense to what he's saying.
LB12Diamond
AG
Artorias said:

LB12Diamond said:

I'm not tricking myself. I'm taking Schloss for the way he has acted all three years he's been here. Everything he has shown since he's been here is he love it's. Loves the fan base. Etc

There is only one thing he has shown at anytime that he has been displeased here. His importance on updating Bluebell.

Thus, the only thing that would possibly make his thinking change would be if A&M dropped the ball on that one. I'm not expecting that one so at this time. Yes, my thinking is there is zero chance of him considering another job.
If updates to Blue Bell/facilities are his one sticking point, why the hell would he go to sip whose stadium and facilities are ****holes.

As I pointed out. The ONLY thing that would make Schloss change his mind is we drop the ball on the Bluebell upgrades.

I'm not expecting A&M to do that one.

Pretty much the end of this discussion for me. It's that simple.
W
AG
it would be very surprising if he left with a roster of MLB talent / highly-talented players for next season

but he got A&M to Omaha in year 1 -- would certainly have the confidence to do that elsewhere as well
Sponge
AG
How about this question: Zane, have you been fired yet?
GarryowenAg
AG
Sponge said:

Billy gave him the green light to ask that question. Why would he fire him?
Pumpkinhead
AG
We should switch this thread to more important topics like which current longhorn players would you like to see now enter the portal and be grabbed by Schloss. Anybody over there we'd like to raid?
Who?mikejones!
Sponge said:

What for? Doing his job?
Specialized
AG
Zane was doing his job and should have asked the question. I was not nervous at all about schloss leaving before I saw this clip. Now I am. Really bad response. Hope it can be chalked up to high emotion, but he went out of his way to not say no.
Anonymous Source
S
Sponge said:

I love this. This board is littered with "the media just throws softballs and they never ask the tough questions", and then when they do ask the tough questions, no one here can stand it.
Gig 'Em
Sponge
AG
For doing his job in a really ****ty way.
Specialized
AG
aTm2004 said:

agcrock2005 said:

The only part I don't like about the answer is the past tense of "I gave this job every ounce..." and not specifically saying he's staying. I tend to over analyze and expect for the worst regarding Aggie sports though because I've been an Aggie for a long time and it's what happens.
Well, given the transcript is not an accurate reflection of what he said, I can see why you're worried. Go listen to him while reading the transcript and you'll see exactly what was said, specifically, "have given." There's no past tense to what he's saying.

Umm… I don't know how to tell you this but "have given" is past tense.
AGDAD14
If coach didn't like that question, then he sure ain't going to like the follow-up question.

Coach, so will you use this opportunity to leverage the hell out of A&M, like other coaches have in the recent past in Aggieland?

This could be Trev's first big test.
sleepybeagle
AG
I like coach!
Who?mikejones!
Sponge said:

Stop being oversensitive. He asked a simple, uncomplicated, necessary question.

He's a reporter, it's his job.

1991sir
He has given it all, up to this point. I think y'all are looking too hard at past present or future tense. He used future tense to talk about recruiting this weekend..
LB12Diamond
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Sponge said:

What for? Doing his job?

This has already been covered on this thread multiple times from the very first responses. That question did not have to be asked last night. It's that simple. Rise above how sips handle things and handle things the right way.

Schloss's opening statement should have given Zane pause on holding that type of question off until Schloss's next interview following such a great season. Do your job correctly, not like the sips act.
fc2112
Specialized said:

Umm.... it's the present perfect tense. "Had given" would be past perfect.
ChubbyHubby
Agthatbuilds said:

Sponge said:

Stop being oversensitive. He asked a simple, uncomplicated, necessary question.

He's a reporter, it's his job.

He didn't even do it well

"Jim, are you going to take the Texas job?"

That's the direct question that needed to be asked
Who?mikejones!
What makes me nervous is that texags is completely silent.

And Billy and schloss like to party together, so I'm sure Billy knows what way this is going to end.
Who?mikejones!
Zane was fine.
Anonymous Source
S
LB12Diamond said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Sponge said:

What for? Doing his job?

This has already been covered on this thread multiple times from the very first responses. That question did not have to be asked last night. It's that simple. Rise above how sips handle things and handle things the right way.

Schloss's opening statement should have given Zane pause on holding that type of question off until Schloss's next interview following such a great season. Do your job correctly, not like the sips act.
It was announced yesterday that they were in the market, and speculation had reached a pretty good pitch by the start of the game last night.

It was a timely question.
Gig 'Em
ftworthag02
AG
Travis said he would've asked him after the press conference in the hall.
Caesar4
AG
ahpetty33 said:

Would be kind of inappropriate to proactively talk about a coaching vacancy that didn't even exist yet, no? Was Schloss supposed to break the news that Pierce was fired?

Pierce was already fired. Yesterday. No?

That being said, I didn't have much problem with the question or the answer.
OutdoorAg
AG
Or maybe Looch just enjoys watching all of you act like middle school girls crying and fretting over something that hasn't even happened. Schloss could have said he is 100% staying and will NOT be the the next Texas coach, and some of yall would have said, "he's gone. Saban said he would not be the coach at Alabama." It doesn't matter what he said last night. Some of you would still be nervous and crying.
LB12Diamond
AG
We can agree to disagree. Schloss and the best A&M baseball team ever earned the right to be treated respectfully last night. Especially from an Aggie reporter.

The instant gratification aspect of society now a days is not a great area.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say that I don't believe Zane did anything wrong by asking the question. As it's been shown already, with people like Travis saying they were going to ask the question before the night was over, I believe it was Zane's professional and fiduciary duty to ask the question and, in my personal opinion, he did so in a respectful and professional manner. I get it, it was a really ****ty time to ask, and everyone's emotions were already very high. I imagine that if the Aggies had won, Coach would have had a much different response to the question, however it is what it is and I hope that Zane and Coach can have a conversation later where they come to terms with one another. Someone was going to ask him before the night was over and Zane was just doing his job. You can't fault either.
C/O 2013 - Company E2
Specialized
AG
Anyone reassured by that answer is extremely gullible.

Whether he leaves, we shall see. But that answer and how defensive he was and angry and then walked off the stage so no follow up question could be asked seems to indicate to me that he's in serious talks. Hopefully he picks us

At a minimum, he didn't flatly say he's not leaving for leverage in contract negotiations with us. Which is obviously just good business on his part. We better promise a baseball cathedral for him today.

And hot chicks every night since he's recently divorced
Who?mikejones!
Nothing was disrespectful.

Specialized
AG
fc2112 said:

Specialized said:

Umm.... it's the present perfect tense. "Had given" would be past perfect.

Ok. Technical McGee. But present perfect is used to describe past events.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Nothing to add on this that hasn't already been said. But I found something interesting...

The Venn Diagram of people who are freaking out/reading way too into Schloss' comments to find a reason to believe he's gone and people whose vast majority of posts are on F16 is damn near a circle.

Carry on.
LB12Diamond
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Nothing was disrespectful.

Hey, if you want to align with how the sips do things. By all means, be my guest.
histag10
AG
Before that question was asked, they indicated it would be the last question for him (it was the last question in a series of 3 that was indicated as the last few questions). He was getting up regardless.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.