SCHLOSS IS STAYING

195,802 Views | 1132 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tex117
cords12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sterling82 said:

That reminded me a lot of Roy Williams when he was asked if he was going to UNC right after the national championship game. My guess is he's leaving. He said he "intended" to stay here but, as we know, things change.

After all that he's said about the 12th man and how much we deserve a championship, even saying it makes him emotional, and then he storms out of the press conference because he's offended his loyalty to A&M is questioned; if he still somehow leaves for that liberal hell hole in Austin, then I would say good riddance.

I sincerely hope it's not the case, but there are plenty of amazing coaches who would love to come to A&M if he leaves.
LB12Diamond
AG
Another poster justifying his bad posts by using a crazy assumption. Maybe change your name to Ag that breaks down instead of builds.
backintexas2013
AG
So far the only media person I have seen report this is Bohls. Two guys on espn said Vitello. Seen a bunch of internet sleuths declare its Schloss others say Vitello.
mpaggie06
AG
It's like asking Braden if he's going to the MLB draft…"

Bye bye Schloss. It was fun while it lasted.
bulverdeaggie93
AG
Schlossnagle answered the question before it was ever asked… listen to the opening response, listen to the interview before the question was ever asked… it was a canned prepared question… that was answered before he ever asked it… we GOOD
Four Seasons Landscaping
It was a canned, prepared response that didn't include the word "no" and used a guy who is very clearly leaving (Braden) as an example.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

It was a canned, prepared response that didn't include the word "no" and used a guy who is very clearly leaving (Braden) as an example.
Dude might as well get a pay raise and improvements promises
themissinglink
AG
It was a strong response. My guess is he didn't use the word "no" because his agent is still negotiating an extension and he didn't want to lose all leverage.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Look, I'll be happy if he stays.

I'm also having trouble figuring out why he'd prepare a response and then use Braden Montgomery going to the MLB --when he is absolutely going to the draft-- as his example.

We've all seen too many fanbases bend over backward to pretend their coach is staying after statements like that.
Bryanisbest
AG
"I think it's pretty selfish of you to ask that question."

"I understand you've got to ask that question. . . . "

He knew it was coming and used the opportunity to get off stage because he was not willing to take the chance of having a follow up question. "So, Coach, you are not going to tu, right?"
Slicer97
AG
themissinglink said:

It was a strong response. My guess is he didn't use the word "no" because his agent is still negotiating an extension and he didn't want to lose all leverage.
I think this is the answer right here.
LB12Diamond
AG
mpaggie06 said:

It's like asking Braden if he's going to the MLB draft…"

Bye bye Schloss. It was fun while it lasted.

Really, how about this part in his response that actually talks about him staying at A&M.

"But I left my family to be the coach at Texas A&M. I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed in my mind."

His statement about Monty was showing Zane why it was a selfish question. The part I quoted was telling him the answer to the selfish question.
SECTAMU#1
I assume the truth will come out today. My guess is Zane was given permission to ask the question. Nevertheless, it was a major distraction for these players and tu knew what they were doing.
Captain Pablo
AG
Quote:

He knew it was coming and used the opportunity to get off stage.

This right-chere
themissinglink
AG
People are reading too much into the Braden Montgomery reference he threw out. I think his point is that even through we all assume he will be drafted and sign, you don't ask him "are you going to sign" because who knows what can happen (unforeseen medical issue, team lowballing him, etc) and he loses some leverage in negotiating with a team if he tells reporters he's gone. While we all assume Schloss will be here and he expects to be here, he also expects us to treat him fairly and you never know what could happen with his personal life and relationship with our AD.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

His statement about Monty was showing Zane why it was a selfish question.
Okay.

The question would be selfish if it was posed to Montgomery. No debate from me there.

What would the answer be?
themissinglink
AG
Bryanisbest said:

He knew it was coming and used the opportunity to get off stage because he was not willing to take the chance of having a follow up question.

It was announced prior to the question, that would be the last question. He answered it and the press conference was over. The moderator was not going to take follow-up questions. It very well may have been scripted though.
LB12Diamond
AG

Quote:

His statement about Monty was showing Zane why it was a selfish question.
Okay.

The question would be selfish if it was posed to Montgomery. No debate from me there.

What would the answer be?

First as I also just pointed out that you ignored. Schloss already answered Zane's question.

"But I left my family to be the coach at Texas A&M. I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed in my mind."

It does not matter what Monty would answer after Schloss already answered the question directed at him.

Bryanisbest
AG
themissinglink said:

Bryanisbest said:

He knew it was coming and used the opportunity to get off stage because he was not willing to take the chance of having a follow up question.

It was announced prior to the question, that would be the last question. He answered it and the press conference was over. The moderator was not going to take follow-up questions. It very well may have been scripted though.

All that may be true but having given an indefinite answer, he could have still been concerned about his need to clarify. He knew the follow up would be fair.
Sterling82
1991sir said:

Sterling82 said:

That reminded me a lot of Roy Williams when he was asked if he was going to UNC right after the national championship game. My guess is he's leaving. He said he "intended" to stay here but, as we know, things change.
Where did he use the word "Intended". If my hearing is correct, he said, he took the A&M job to "Never" take another one?

Maybe he didn't use that word but he talked about his mindset, his intentions, when he came to A&M. Didn't say much about the here and now. But it's all speculation until tu announces their coach anyway.
94chem
I was at the game. Stopping for some coffee, and will soon cross back into the Republic. I saw the Tennessee fans celebrating. They looked mostly like Happy Hour got extended at the hotel bar. If Schloss wants to see what an absolute blow-out looks like, he'll get one more win and find out what it means to be a champion at Texas A&M. We build statues for guys who don't even play.

As for t.u., congrats on showing their burnt oranges asses. Come next year, they're gonna find out that it's not about beating A&M. It's about beating LSU, Florida, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Is this the first time you've paid attention to how coaches answer these questions?

People tricking themselves into accepting stuff like that as a definitive answer, when it very clearly is not, and then getting irate when the coach leaves are some of the biggest cliches in college sports.
1991sir
He said that it hadn't changed in his mind.. idk, he may leave he may not. It is what it is
Four Seasons Landscaping
The bottom line is he had a prepared response.

In that prepared response, he CHOSE to use coachspeak and not to be direct about an answer. I would assume it was prepared in large part by his agent's comms people.

I don't know what he's going to do, but if he does leave, don't start crying that he lied in this press conference because he went out of his way to not say say he wouldn't go to UT.
LB12Diamond
AG
I'm not tricking myself. I'm taking Schloss for the way he has acted all three years he's been here. Everything he has shown since he's been here is he love it's. Loves the fan base. Etc

There is only one thing he has shown at anytime that he has been displeased here. His importance on updating Bluebell.

Thus, the only thing that would possibly make his thinking change would be if A&M dropped the ball on that one. I'm not expecting that one so at this time. Yes, my thinking is there is zero chance of him considering another job.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Cool.

There are dozens of other situations where fans thought similar things about their soon-to-be former coaches as well.
LB12Diamond
AG

Cool.

There are dozens of other situations where fans thought similar things about their soon-to-be former coaches as well.

Oh

I'm sure all those situations were just like this one. Where a coach who has shown he's real at all times. That coach did great things at that school and he requested one thing take place and was needed to compete with other schools in the conference that had better facilities. The school makes those changes and the coach still left.

I'm having a hard time remembering any of those at this time.
dcg4403
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

For years, we can't get reporters to ask Jimbo a hard-hitting question and tonight they go full on Leroy Jenkins in the press conference.

So very true. One of my biggest gripes and annoyances. But seems it could have waited till today.
Artorias
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I'm not tricking myself. I'm taking Schloss for the way he has acted all three years he's been here. Everything he has shown since he's been here is he love it's. Loves the fan base. Etc

There is only one thing he has shown at anytime that he has been displeased here. His importance on updating Bluebell.

Thus, the only thing that would possibly make his thinking change would be if A&M dropped the ball on that one. I'm not expecting that one so at this time. Yes, my thinking is there is zero chance of him considering another job.
If updates to Blue Bell/facilities are his one sticking point, why the hell would he go to sip whose stadium and facilities are ****holes.
trouble
AG
Zactly
Martin Cash
AG

In that prepared response, he CHOSE to use coachspeak and not to be direct about an answer. I would assume it was prepared in large part by his agent's comms people.

I don't know what he's going to do, but if he does leave, don't start crying that he lied in this press conference because he went out of his way to not say say he wouldn't go to UT.
You kids never cease to amaze (and disappoint) me.

Quote:

"I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed."

I don't know how much more direct he could be.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
agcrock2005
AG
The only part I don't like about the answer is the past tense of "I gave this job every ounce..." and not specifically saying he's staying. I tend to over analyze and expect for the worst regarding Aggie sports though because I've been an Aggie for a long time and it's what happens.
trouble
AG
Riiiiiight? He doesn't use coach speak. If you haven't learned that in 3 years, I don't know what to tell you.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

I don't know how much more direct he could be.
I do.

"No".
BowSowy
AG

And if he would've flat out said "no, I am not taking the Texas job", there would be plenty of people saying "but Saban said he was not taking the Alabama job!" Fact of the matter is that anything he said up there would've been interpreted every which way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.