SCHLOSS IS STAYING

195,923 Views | 1132 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tex117
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brother Shamus said:

Come on guys - it doesn't matter who is coaching - we'll never get it done. Close but no cigar!

your sex life is obviously miserable with that attitude.
The Agly Duckling
The Weast Side of Kyle said:

Here's the live link. You'll likely just have to scrub backwards before Tennessee has their interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/live/XFWZJtTj6AM?si=5n_NCmT6IsKfUOw6
Damn!

Whoa, there, Big Shooter.
_mpaul
AG
He could have easily said, "I'm not going anywhere unless Trev wants to fire me," but he didn't. Not saying he's leaving, but there was plenty of wiggle room in that answer.
ColoAggie12
AG
The zoo seems to put a lot of stock in the opinions of those without their Ag tag. sip trolls living rent free is a sad sight to see
Brother Shamus
C@LAg said:

Brother Shamus said:

Come on guys - it doesn't matter who is coaching - we'll never get it done. Close but no cigar!

Hmm - I'll sacrifice the sex life for championships!
aeon-ag
The Weast Side of Kyle said:

Richard Zane just took a bullet for us by asking the question. Schloss was PISSED that his loyalty to A&M
johnnyblaze36
AG
agmeister said:

Commander Gorn said:

Feel bad for Schloss having to discuss that in that moment, but I also get the question too
Actually Schloss deserved better than that. The questioner is an idiot.
It's not like he asked Schloss what's his take on men playing in women's sports out of nowhere. I can't even believe the people on here taking offense to a reporter doing his damn job and asking a legitimate question. It's embarrassing and pathetic.
Hornbeck
AG
He needs to blast his "friend" Del Conte in the nards next time he sees him for being a whiny b***h, firing his coach on the day of the finals game 3.
dixichkn
AG
Brother Shamus said:

C@LAg said:

Brother Shamus said:

Hmm - I'll sacrifice the sex life for championships!
I'm about at that point myself

Of course I'm old as **** so not as big a sacrifice as it might be for others……..
bdp514am
he could have. I have conflicting interpretations of what his comments mean. But I do believe this. When he first got here he struck me as someone who was a little bit like "What have I gotten myself into". Someone who maybe didn't understand our fanbase and traditions. I think we've won him over and he has come to fully embrace it. It wouldn't shock me if he left. But I think leaving would be a really difficult decision for him at this point and tu would have to offer something we just couldn't. I don't know what that would be other than his relationship with Del Conte.

btw, in 2006 I went to the A&M - tu football game with a guy named M. Paul. We didn't know each other but decided to go together so I could grab a pair of tickets off of stub hub. Was that you?
Hi, Im Brett
AG
I think a fair question would have been if he had any thoughts on the timing of the firing and if he felt it caused any distraction before the game given the inevitable rumors that come with moves like that
RMD10
AG
The question was tactless but not surprising. This has been a fun team to follow this season and I'm sure Schloss has enjoyed it. This was the last time Schloss will coach many of these guys so theres already emotions with it being the final game of the year and then you throw in the heartbreaking loss. Sometimes its ok to let people be and not stir up drama. Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me Schloss is staying and I haven't heard anything else this year to suggest otherwise.
"I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed in my mind". That's pretty darn clear to me.
Pumpkinhead
AG
landman1 said:

Del Conte was holding the news until after the CWS finished. Unfortunately, Kurt Bohls decided he needed to break the story sooner and forced a response. Pierce has known for over a week and already packed up.

That said, seems likely it is one of the two coaches from tonight, as both have offers on the table.

This reminds me of how the Kentucky sports media and fan base a couple months back was EXTREMELY confident it was going to hire either UCONN's Dan Hurley, Baylor's Scott Drew, Bama's Nate Oates, or the Bull's Billy Donovan after Calipari bolted…because it is Kentucky basketball and the money whip!

And had to settle for the BYU coach…
DartmouthAg
No one has even attempted to argue why the question was selfish. At first blush, "selfish" didn't come to mind, but upon reflection, I agree with Schloss, and I am even more impressed with the man's astuteness.

I think it's selfish for two reasons, in this order:

1. Personally: Zane is trying to make a name for himself as a real reporter and not some beat guy known only by Texags whose writing style can be best described as a poor man's Olin Buchanan.

2. Institutionally: He thinks he's throwing a softball, anticipating (hoping) Schloss will end the presser because it's the final question with an emphatic, "Relax, Aggieland. I'll be here for as long as you'll have me. There's no other place for me. Whoop! A!!!!!!!!!" And then proceeds to lead the media in the most heartfelt rendition of the Spirit ever heard in the history of Aggiedom.

And to show just how subpar of a talent Zane is, he can't even transcribe the response correctly, apparently not appreciating the difference between past tense ("I gave") and present perfect tense ("I've given"). Big difference.
Ag1188
AG
Dear diary….
Bobaloo
Not sure how much clearer he could be. Combine with the recent ESPN article and he's at his destination job. He wants to build a monster at A&M, and he appears to be on his way. Great culture fit as well. Dude is nails.
rae13
AG
DartmouthAg said:

And to show just how subpar of a talent Zane is, he can't even transcribe the response correctly, apparently not appreciating the difference between past tense ("I gave") and present perfect tense ("I've given"). Big difference.
Amazing that you think Richard Zane is the one transcribing while also participating in the press conference.
blake2003
AG
Thanks for doing what you do Big Shooter.
warrington74
AG
Brother Shamus said:

I think a good idea for you would for you to go to either TU and get your masters. That way you don't have to post on texags
BigSneezy
HillCountry15 said:

Holy *****

1) what a dumb decision to ask that question.

2) what an unbelievably awesome answer from Schloss. And you could tell he held back. Wow.

This right here. Our marketing and PR sucks ass. There should have been a statement by our PR director that stepped in and said on his behalf.

1. Scholars is awesome and we are proud of him. He's not answering that now. That's not fair.
2. We understand why schools want him
3. We will review compensation packages and be sure that he is happy and has all the tools to be successful.
4. Next question.

The fact that A&M made him deal with that alone in this moment is what he truly is probably upset with.

Get your PR house fixed A&M.
PabloSerna
AG
Except for demonizing the reporter, I thought Coach Schlossnagle had incredible composure and in my book, put down the rumor with an emphatic, "Write that" to slam it shut.

However, it was a fair question given the fact that recruiting is a war now days. Glad to see him fight. Wish like hell we had one more inning.
vwbug
I doubt that question is asked without consulting with Billy. Which is not a great sign. Hope he stays.
ahpetty33
AG
Would be kind of inappropriate to proactively talk about a coaching vacancy that didn't even exist yet, no? Was Schloss supposed to break the news that Pierce was fired?
Bryanisbest
AG
Don't blame Zane. He did what all good journalists must do. We need more of this in America today instead to the propaganda we are constantly fed. And I don't blame Schloss for his reaction either. Both men trying to do their jobs the right way.
Jbob04
AG
vwbug said:

I doubt that question is asked without consulting with Billy. Which is not a great sign. Hope he stays.

Billy posted that he gave Zane the green light to ask the question and that he was proud of Zane for asking.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
ahpetty33 said:

Would be kind of inappropriate to proactively talk about a coaching vacancy that didn't even exist yet, no? Was Schloss supposed to break the news that Pierce was fired?

It's very easy to shut down conversation without mentioning a position by name, open or otherwise.

Coaches let these things drag out for leverage. That is their choice. That is also why they get questions that may be uncomfortable or frustrating.

It's amazing to me to see how many people on this board are going after the reporter, as if his job is to make sure Schloss doesn't have to deal with anything uncomfortable.

As always, coaches know how to end these discussions. If they don't do that, no reason they should expect to not be asked about it.

The fact that a question asked at like 10pm generated this much discussion overnight kind of shows it was probably a valuable question.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Don't blame Zane. He did what all good journalists must do. We need more of this in America today instead to the propaganda we are constantly fed. And I don't blame Schloss for his reaction either. Both men trying to do their jobs the right way.

100%

Sterling82
That reminded me a lot of Roy Williams when he was asked if he was going to UNC right after the national championship game. My guess is he's leaving. He said he "intended" to stay here but, as we know, things change.
TexAgs23
"Write that..."
Artorias
AG
Losing Schloss to sips would be the biggest kick in the nuts since 2011
Fleen
Sterling82 said:

That reminded me a lot of Roy Williams when he was asked if he was going to UNC right after the national championship game. My guess is he's leaving. He said he "intended" to stay here but, as we know, things change.

Exactly what I was thinking of... Exactly.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Not sure how much clearer he could be.
A lot.

The word "no" exists.
BudFox7
He is gone. That quote reads real real bad.
vwbug
Not a good sign to me
1991sir
Sterling82 said:

Where did he use the word "Intended". If my hearing is correct, he said, he took the A&M job to "Never" take another one?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.