Softball Coach Update

136,548 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Lemmys Rickenbacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To boil this down, Snider likely takes a Player Development Coach here if he does not get the Tech job, correct?
Wooahhhh
AG
Why would parents make up the snapchat thing:
1) Because the coach doesn't play or stick up for princess enough, this info to the parent is coming from princess, because the parents are not privy to the inner workings of the team like princess is. They don't see princess' effort every practice (cue AI)
2) Because the coach doesn't work with princess enough, even though princess doesn't like him and isn't that coachable
3) Because the parent is a grumbler, a cancer in the stands, someone that gets others riled up & agitated.
4) Because the parent is a pathological liar
5) Because the parent is a friend of a parent that the coach doesn't 1) see #1 above & #2) see #2 above #3) see #3 above 4) see #4 above
6) Has parenting declined since you were a kid? Ask a coach, he or she will tell you some nut job stories that will curl your hair.
7) Because princess didn't get the actual percentage of scholarship they were promised and the parents are mad because of it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Softball discussion on this board has been weird for a few years now. Nearly everyone seems to come with a deeply felt agenda.

We've had those who say stuff like the Snapchat thing, we've had a number of folks who post like they're Craig Snider's wife, we've had those who were deeply obsessed with getting not just Jo, but others out, and its not the first time we've had this axe grinding about "parents."

I sure hope we can move on and get back to some normal discussion. Every softball discussion is such a cluster.
Wooahhhh
AG
the ones about the parents......are head coaches (thank god assistant's don't have those duties)
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

I sure hope we can move on and get back to some normal discussion. Every softball discussion is such a cluster.

Speak for yourself. This has been the most entertaining thread on TA in a long time. These plugged-in softball fans are nuts!
KBAGOLFER
If Ford keeps or creates a space for Snider it will be 100% due to his relationship with Scottie and those families in that circle who absolutely love and respect him. I'll just throw that out there. I'll also throw out there that he thoughts when he took on this gig he was walking into a great situation, under the old regime he didn't have that feeling very long, let's say
KayakBassAngling
wareagle044
Wooahhhh said:

Why would parents make up the snapchat thing:
1) Because the coach doesn't play or stick up for princess enough, this info to the parent is coming from princess, because the parents are not privy to the inner workings of the team like princess is. They don't see princess' effort every practice (cue AI)
2) Because the coach doesn't work with princess enough, even though princess doesn't like him and isn't that coachable
3) Because the parent is a grumbler, a cancer in the stands, someone that gets others riled up & agitated.
4) Because the parent is a pathological liar
5) Because the parent is a friend of a parent that the coach doesn't 1) see #1 above & #2) see #2 above #3) see #3 above 4) see #4 above
6) Has parenting declined since you were a kid? Ask a coach, he or she will tell you some nut job stories that will curl your hair.
7) Because princess didn't get the actual percentage of scholarship they were promised and the parents are mad because of it.

I blame travel ball.
TXAggie2011
AG
Wooahhhh said:

the ones about the parents......are head coaches (thank god assistant's don't have those duties)
Oh yeah, that's always pretty obvious.

Fun fact: My dad was a finalist for the A&M softball job awhile back. A&M picked the other finalist. Oh well.
SinKiller
I talked with Coach Alameda a few years back, 18U showcase in Spring. My daughter's team was warming up around where she was, so I sat and talked with her. She was telling me about her philosophy in recruiting a player, what she looked for, etc. I assume most on this thread are softball dads, so everyone here knows that parents are a nightmare in travel ball, particularly pitchers and catcher parents. I asked her if it got better with parents once they get to her, she said it gets worse. I was pretty surprised by that, probably shouldn't have been. I expect most D1 players have been player 1 all their lives, and now you have a bench of 1's and parents aren't used to Sally getting pine.
Rev89
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

To boil this down, Snider likely takes a Player Development Coach here if he does not get the Tech job, correct?

Doubt he takes the Player Development job.
Rev89
TXAggie2011 said:

Softball discussion on this board has been weird for a few years now. Nearly everyone seems to come with a deeply felt agenda.

We've had those who say stuff like the Snapchat thing, we've had a number of folks who post like they're Craig Snider's wife, we've had those who were deeply obsessed with getting not just Jo, but others out, and its not the first time we've had this axe grinding about "parents."

Post like they're Snider's wife? Does that mean they're saying good things about him or bad things??
SeenNotHeard
AG
Rev89 said:

He has been reposting on his IG all day posts from current players essentially telling him thank you and good bye. I would guess he has maybe told the team he is leaving for sure?
LatinAggie1997
AG
SinKiller said:

I talked with Coach Alameda a few years back, 18U showcase in Spring. My daughter's team was warming up around where she was, so I sat and talked with her. She was telling me about her philosophy in recruiting a player, what she looked for, etc. I assume most on this thread are softball dads, so everyone here knows that parents are a nightmare in travel ball, particularly pitchers and catcher parents. I asked her if it got better with parents once they get to her, she said it gets worse. I was pretty surprised by that, probably shouldn't have been. I expect most D1 players have been player 1 all their lives, and now you have a bench of 1's and parents aren't used to Sally getting pine.

Yeah but there a huge caveat to that. A coach recruits a player and their baggage....that's why girls are taught at 10u and 12 u to be big girls, carry their own bags and don't look to mommy when things go badly. College coaches look for helicopter parents and how their kids act around them, and typically do not recruit ones that will likely be problematic. If they do sign them then they better hope it changes or learn to deal with it.
Rev89
SeenNotHeard said:

Rev89 said:

He has been reposting on his IG all day posts from current players essentially telling him thank you and good bye. I would guess he has maybe told the team he is leaving for sure?

That's what it looks like. Wonder if he used snap chat or just Instagram to let them know?? Lol
LatinAggie1997
AG
.blame poor travel ball coaches...the better ones don't allow that crap and make it clear. I've seen girls booted from a team because of a parent. A girl booted because of a princess mentality ' "dad, get me a water"....(helll no that don't fly!)
KBAGOLFER
LatinAggie1997 said:

.blame poor travel ball coaches...the better ones don't allow that crap and make it clear. I've seen girls booted from a team because of a parent. A girl booted because of a princess mentality ' "dad, get me a water"....(helll no that don't fly!)

We were very strong about get your water, carry your bag, and don't talk about others, look at what you could do better and help the culture not disrespect it

Times have changed, I'll leave it at that
KayakBassAngling
SinKiller
LatinAggie1997 said:

SinKiller said:

Yeah but there a huge caveat to that. A coach recruits a player and their baggage....that's why girls are taught at 10u and 12 u to be big girls, carry their own bags and don't look to mommy when things go badly. College coaches look for helicopter parents and how their kids act around them, and typically do not recruit ones that will likely be problematic. If they do sign them then they better hope it changes or learn to deal with it.
Yes to all of that, but a hammer on the hill is gonna get a call regardless. It's not like we haven't had some obvious helicopter parents in this program...One particular person comes to mind immediately, now the kid wasn't a pitcher, but on the receiving end. The arrogance of some of these people at tournaments is crazy, like you're fortunate to be at the same yard with them.
Tailgate88
AG
Wow. Never knew there was so much drama in softball. Does this kind of stuff go on with college baseball too?
SinKiller
Tailgate88 said:

Wow. Never knew there was so much drama in softball. Does this kind of stuff go on with college baseball too?
You have no idea...
rhp
AG
It goes on in soccer (men & women) too.
TXAggie2011
AG
SinKiller
rhp said:

One of our coaches told me once after he yanked a pitcher, he went back to the dugout and had a text from the pitchers Mom. She wanted to know why he pulled the daughter, bs of course, but the thing is she wasn't even at the tournament. She was getting updates via ipad at home.

Parents get pissed at scorekeepers, "that's a hit, right?"...Thats after 3B bobbles its 3 times...
KBAGOLFER
SinKiller said:

rhp said:

One of our coaches told me once after he yanked a pitcher, he went back to the dugout and had a text from the pitchers Mom. She wanted to know why he pulled the daughter, bs of course, but the thing is she wasn't even at the tournament. She was getting updates via ipad at home.

Parents get pissed at scorekeepers, "that's a hit, right?"...Thats after 3B bobbles its 3 times...

I had a pitcher and family leave our program in our 2nd game of a National Qualifier. We were up like 9-0 she gives up 3 runs loads the bases nobody out. I go get her and put in another pitcher and their response was they grabbed her bag and asked her to come on, "It's time to leave we're not wanted here…" lol, said basically good riddance

That team qualified for Nationals and at Nationals played in front of oh I'd say 30 of the top D-1 coaches in America. I'm no longer coaching but still have my connections in the game. It's crazy out there. The "ME" mentality teams don't get as far as the "WE" mentality teams, it's just crazy…
KayakBassAngling
hillcountryag86
AG
In addition to parents having blinders on regarding the true talents of their kids, the money they spend on these travel teams makes them feel their kid is owed playing time. They 'bought' it.

We did the travel thing with my daughter. She was good but she knew she was not D-1 material. I'd like to think we stayed out of the coach's business.

She had a good head on her shoulders. She knew she wanted to go to A&M (Mays Honors, if I can brag), and her softball career would be over after high school.

We certainly saw our share of incidents with parents. I applaud anyone who will coach or umpire these leagues.
Aggie*_86
AG
SinKiller said:

I have a son and daughter, son is older. I Coached him in baseball until he got into school ball and I remember when my daughter started playing softball I said "sure I'll Coach her teams, it will be a lot better than all the years I coached my son teams, parents won't be as bad."

BOY WAS I WRONG! The softball parents are WAY worse than the baseball parents... lol I had such a wake up call, I feel for these Coaches. I was Coaching 6 yr old through 13 yr old, can't imagine how bad it gets at these levels.
SinKiller
KBAGOLFER said:

SinKiller said:

rhp said:

I had a pitcher and family leave our program in our 2nd game of a National Qualifier. We were up like 9-0 she gives up 3 runs loads the bases nobody out. I go get her and put in another pitcher and their response was they grabbed her bag and asked her to come on, "It's time to leave we're not wanted here…" lol, said basically good riddance

That team qualified for Nationals and at Nationals played in front of oh I'd say 30 of the top D-1 coaches in America. I'm no longer coaching but still have my connections in the game. It's crazy out there. The "ME" mentality teams don't get as far as the "WE" mentality teams, it's just crazy…
We had girls leave mid-game as well, typically pitchers. We were out of Cypress, Dyess Park. We added a girl from Bellville, you always wonder why they'd drive that far, but you usually find out. The very first tourney with her, shows up 45 minutes after the appointed time, she obviously doesn't start. The mom dragged her out of there before we even got the 3rd out in the 1st. The parents that do that stuff are usually the ones that give zero effort at fundraising, yard work, etc. They're doing everyone a favor by even being on the team.

I like how you mention Nationals, that's when it REALLY gets crazy, drama city the entire week.
KBAGOLFER
SinKiller said:

KBAGOLFER said:

SinKiller said:

rhp said:

We had girls leave mid-game as well, typically pitchers. We were out of Cypress, Dyess Park. We added a girl from Bellville, you always wonder why they'd drive that far, but you usually find out. The very first tourney with her, shows up 45 minutes after the appointed time, she obviously doesn't start. The mom dragged her out of there before we even got the 3rd out in the 1st. The parents that do that stuff are usually the ones that give zero effort at fundraising, yard work, etc. They're doing everyone a favor by even being on the team.

I like how you mention Nationals, that's when it REALLY gets crazy, drama city the entire week.

That's when the other select coaches start putting chum in the water and see whose looking for a change
KayakBassAngling
dodger02
AG
SinKiller said:

We're not a power travel team, but this statement rang pretty true.

We played and won our division in the Triple Crown OKC last year. You'd think that success would create some happiness, but about 6 players quit or were kicked off the team not one month later. One quit right after the championship ceremony before we hit the parking lot.

Now, we're headed to the Sparkler in 10 days. I'm going to bet there's similar attrition by mid-August.

To make this OP-related...I can't imagine what college coaches have to deal with. The right field fence dads are some of the worst forms of humanity.
LatinAggie1997
AG
I remember Amanda S. discussing lots of this with me during some talks.
I never understood the parents that want their kid to be the big fish in any pond.
Luckily, my daughter took after me, extremely competitive and stubborn but logical. We wanted to be on the best team possible even it meant fighting for playing time. Being in line during drills with older and better girls in front and behind you is where soooooo much development occurs. She worked harder, was more focused and determined. She quickly became a starter and not a girl or parent complained.
"The young girl is out working yall...don't let her beat y'all"....always made everyone hustle and push each other. Helping and lifting each other up for team success. Damn, I miss it!
Dogdoc
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

Damn, I miss it!
I don't miss anything at all about select or College ball. For us, it was pure politics and who could kiss ass the best in select ball. I remember select 16 u all the dads gathered around the "head" softball coach yucking it up while the assistant coach was actually running the practice.
Daughter eventually signed at a D II school to play softball and run cross country. The softball coach who recruited her died of liver cancer right before her freshman season. She had two coaches since then, the last who was a moron and absolutely ruined the sport for her. She now hates softball, but she was offered and and accepted a very good job at a very prestigious company primarily based on her being a two sport athlete(and good grades).
So, i guess it worked out.
Colt98
AG
LatinAggie1997
AG
Very unfortunate and far too common. We were lucky. We had a great team and group of parents. Traveling was never an issue due to the comraderie and neither was playing time. We all had the same mentality and bought into the process.

It was great for me because I loved spending time with my kid. As a single dad those memories and the bond will last forever. My kid hitting dingets and throwing runners out at home with coaches watching was really sweet too.
SinKiller
LatinAggie1997 said:

Very unfortunate and far too common. We were lucky. We had a great team and group of parents. Traveling was never an issue due to the comraderie and neither was playing time. We all had the same mentality and bought into the process.

It was great for me because I loved spending time with my kid. As a single dad those memories and the bond will last forever. My kid hitting dingets and throwing runners out at home with coaches watching was really sweet too.
Yep. In a showcase in Colorado, my daughter ripped a double...They took her off of second and had her hit again, they then told her they wanted to see her in center...It made her feel cool...She gave it up about a year later...She went on visits to Pace, and a couple of others like that, but just was tired of it. She's class of '20, never picked a bat up in CS even for intramurals. When you've played hundreds upon hundreds of games, it's easy to see why they shut it down.
DosAgs
AG
Both my girls played select from 8u on up. We were lucky to some degree that we played with a core group (5-6) girls and their parents for the ride. Both were good enough to play in college but had enough by their Jr year or so. Both were strong academically and are at TAMU now. They do play pickup slow pitch once in awhile. I don't miss the drama, but loved the time watching them play. It's a mixed bag.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Started thinking more about what was said about pitcher and catcher parents and paying attention here at the event in College Station this weekend. In baseball it's the "my kid should be a SS" parents that are annoying ****s who team hop every year.

I never stopped to pay attention to it before but softball pitcher parents really are even worse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.