Softball Coach Update

136,489 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
MSTC Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since Jimmy is staying, maybe Snider will get the chance to stay on staff.
BigBubbaAggie82
Why would you need both Jeff and Snider?
Lemmys Rickenbacker
MSTC Man said:

Since Jimmy is staying, maybe Snider will get the chance to stay on staff.

Jimmy has already been let go at ASU.
MSTC Man
AG
BigBubbaAggie82 said:

Why would you need both Jeff and Snider?

You have two coaches plus a volunteer coach. Snider is a great coach and recruiter. He knows the present team and could help with the transition. I think Snider will help make this a better team.
KBAGOLFER
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Staff Update: Jeff Harger will be joining coach Ford in Aggieland. This is huge, his hitters at Arizona State we're 4th in the NCAA's the NCAA in homer's per game at 1.93 and he's a great recruiter

Sad to say Jimmy off her staff will not be joining the staff, stinks he's a good dude

Where is Jimmy going if he is not coming here?

He told me he's weighing his options right now

Jimmy also said he has no idea what she's going to do with Snider. That Jeff is the hitting coach though
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER

Do yourself a favor, and listen to Coach Ford speak. This women oozes confidence and she isn't scare, you'll learn that quickly listening to this PC
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER
Okay as many saw Jeff Harger her longtime friend, assistant, and top 4 hitting coach is in the barn, no word on what direction she's going.

If I was Trisha I'd call Megan Gibson and see if she wanted on board, former player, loves A&M, knows H-Town Softball as good as anybody, maybe Kelly Ferguson, I think her demeanor and confidence would pair nicely with this staff. Just my Opinion

HOWEVER, not just my opinion I talked to a top 16U head coach and he said that everyone knows that ford is 180 degrees different from Jo and there is a new buzz about A&M, just a little inside information from a top 18-24 16U Select Team in the Nation
KayakBassAngling
BigBubbaAggie82

Quote:

You have two coaches plus a volunteer coach. Snider is a great coach and recruiter. He knows the present team and could help with the transition. I think Snider will help make this a better team.
Well the "great coach" thing I have to disagree based on what I've heard and seen. Even though hired by A&M to be the hitting coach, he wasn't instrumental in FS's hitting success. That was another coach who's still there by the way. A&M's hitters Lee, Smith and Herzog were good without him. And we saw what the other bats did against better competition later in the season each year since he's been there.

Besides that having two different hitting philosophies never pans out well

Not to mention the other rumored childlike antics reported by players. The only thing I could possibly give him is maybe recruiting and only because of his relationship with Scott Smith (Bombers).
MSTC Man
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

Okay as many saw Jeff Harger her longtime friend, assistant, and top 4 hitting coach is in the barn, no word on what direction she's going.

If I was Trisha I'd call Megan Gibson and see if she wanted on board, former player, loves A&M, knows H-Town Softball as good as anybody, maybe Kelly Ferguson, I think her demeanor and confidence would pair nicely with this staff. Just my Opinion

HOWEVER, not just my opinion I talked to a top 16U head coach and he said that everyone knows that ford is 180 degrees different from Jo and there is a new buzz about A&M, just a little inside information from a top 18-24 16U Select Team in the Nation

You seem to be very excited about the new staff and you have lots of suggestions. Why wasn't Ford on your early recommendations for a new coach?
WolfCall
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

Trish Ford…
Arguably the best softball player in Saint Mary's history, Ford, the former Trisha Dean, is the only female student-athlete in school history to have her number (9) retired. In the spring of 2007, Ford was among six former athletes and coaches to be inducted into the Saint Mary's College Hall of Fame.
^ This! They retired her jersey and inducted her into their Hall of Fame in 2007, seven years after she graduated (2000).

https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/hall-of-fame
Quote:

[St Mary's College] Hall of Fame
The Saint Mary's Honors Court inducted six new members into the SMC Athletics Hall of Fame for 2007. The class includes Trisha Dean '00, John Leykam, Ed Lickiss, Tracy Morris '00, James Mouton '91 and Cassidy O'Hara '89. The 1985 women's volleyball team, winners of the NAIA national championship, was also inducted.

The class was honored during the Jan. 27 Gaelfest/Homecoming game against Pepperdine and formally inducted at the Soda Center in April.

Dean, the only softball player to have her number (9) retired at Saint Mary's, is the College softball career leader in batting average, hits and doubles.

You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
KBAGOLFER
MSTC Man said:

KBAGOLFER said:

You seem to be very excited about the new staff and you have lots of suggestions. Why wasn't Ford on your early recommendations for a new coach?

She was a #8 National seed, won the PAC 12, 20-4, COY, Has lived all her life on WC, didn't think she'd be interested in coming to Texas, and to boot she had it rolling at ASU, so wasn't even on my radar, but her recruiting ties RUN DEEP, let's just say
KayakBassAngling
BigBubbaAggie82
KBAGOLFER said:

MSTC Man said:

KBAGOLFER said:

She was a #8 National seed, won the PAC 12, 20-4, COY, Has lived all her life on WC, didn't think she'd be interested in coming to Texas, and to boot she had it rolling at ASU, so wasn't even on my radar, but her recruiting ties RUN DEEP, let's just say
You checked all the boxes on this one. She's a great hire and bringing Jeff is definitely icing on the cake. A complete180 from JE in mental toughness, strategy and game time decision making as well.
They are already signed up for the Clearwater tourny next year which says a lot. A tournament Evans has run from for years. She even ran away from Mary Nutter last year.
I wouldn't be surprised seeing them playing in Puerto Vallarta too soon with Ford

IMO this was the absolute best hire available. Good Job Bjork on this one. Cant say that for AD Toole because honestly if it were left up to him JE would still be there and Jackson still coaching.
AgDad77
AG
Please remember that Ford did not get us into Clearwater - that was already done.

It is definitely great that we are going for sure and much needed!!!

We get into the PV tournament I will be there also!!
BigBubbaAggie82
AgDad77 said:

Please remember that Ford did not get us into Clearwater - that was already done.

It is definitely great that we are going for sure and much needed!!!

We get into the PV tournament I will be there also!!
How is that? Its my understanding that its an invitational. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
AgDad77
AG
We were in before Ford got the job is all that I am saying - I knew we were in a couple of weeks ago.
Ford had nothing to do with it.
BigBubbaAggie82
AgDad77 said:

We were in before Ford got the job is all that I am saying - I knew we were in a couple of weeks ago.
Right my understanding is we've been invited several times before but have declined, just to play in lesser tournys
KBAGOLFER
BigBubbaAggie82 said:

AgDad77 said:

Right my understanding is we've been invited several times before but have declined, just to play in lesser tournys

Mary Nutter is not a lesser tournament but this year we will be in Florida and California playing tournaments. We played ASU at the Mary Nutter this past season. Just take one of the 4 tournaments we host off the board which is what we did and A&M will be in Florida…
KayakBassAngling
Gigemchicken90
AG
Headed here?
'90
cevans_40
AG
I would take both. Power hitting infielder and pitcher with a career 1.71 ERA
hipnix
On the trail…

http://imgur.com/zPq6bpZ

http://imgur.com/SwjSl9o

SeenNotHeard
AG
Two more from ASU in the portal.

Still waiting to see what Mac Morgan and Syd Sanders do
Aggie*_86
AG
So she's Royalty, right? ...
PlanoGuy
Gigemchicken90 said:

Headed here?

Torres would be a good replacement for Taylon Snow at 1st
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
mullokmotx
AG
We played at the Judy Garman Classic in Fullerton this past season.
KBAGOLFER
mullokmotx said:

We played at the Judy Garman Classic in Fullerton this past season.

You're absolutely correct, my bad, assistants are important right now. I'm telling y'all if Ford wants to make huge waves in the select world this is the time to snag a big time recruiter from a POWERHOUSE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAM and then take said assistant with her and Harger to CO and CA

When I hear a whisper or if I hear, I'll post the update, but it's all about Omaha right now, for this guy
KayakBassAngling
Houstonag
AG
I am no expert in softball but from a little baseball experience I would say we need pitching and hitting skills. So a coaching staff needs to recruit and develop personnel along those lines. Of course, catching, fielding, and the elimination of mistakes is important. Good luck to the new coach.
Rev89
Rev89
BigBubbaAggie82 said:

Quote:

Well the "great coach" thing I have to disagree based on what I've heard and seen. Even though hired by A&M to be the hitting coach, he wasn't instrumental in FS's hitting success. That was another coach who's still there by the way. A&M's hitters Lee, Smith and Herzog were good without him. And we saw what the other bats did against better competition later in the season each year since he's been there.

Besides that having two different hitting philosophies never pans out well

Not to mention the other rumored childlike antics reported by players. The only thing I could possibly give him is maybe recruiting and only because of his relationship with Scott Smith (Bombers).

What are the rumored childlike antics reported by players??
AgDad77
AG
Word is that the other coach will possibly be Joe Guthrie.
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

Recruits the Southeast really well. His ties go from Texas to Florida. I believe he's a 3x COY in Conference USA. This isa sitting head coach who went 35-15 this year at UAB
KayakBassAngling
MSTC Man
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

AgDad77 said:

Recruits the Southeast really well. His ties go from Texas to Florida. I believe he's a 3x COY in Conference USA. This isa sitting head coach who went 35-15 this year at UAB

That was not this year. They were 35-15 in 2021. This year 2022, they were 25-24 and 13-10 in conference play.
Artimus Gordon
AG
https://ragincajuns.com/sports/softball/roster/coaches/joe-guthrie/1094

There is a joe guthrie at ULALA that is an asst under Glasgo.

That's the same Joe Guthrie. Old info on the ULALA site!
KBAGOLFER
Artimus Gordon said:

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/softball/roster/coaches/joe-guthrie/1094

There is a joe guthrie at ULALA that is an asst under Glasgo.

That's the same Joe Guthrie. Old info on the ULALA site!

Yes, he worked under Glasgo
KayakBassAngling
rhp
AG
https://uabsports.com/sports/softball/roster/coaches/joe-guthrie/1653
Aggie*_86
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

AgDad77 said:

So if we can pull a "successful" Head Coach to be our Assistant, I'm thinking that's a win?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.