Softball Coach Update

136,466 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
KBAGOLFER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would also not look for a hire today or tomorrow, no matter what happens

The list is the list, we'll see who impressed Ross the MOST
KayakBassAngling
Divining Rod
AgDad77 said:

….lots of folks in the softball word didn't like the fact that she was let go.

yeah- opponents!

in last 14 years, no conf title, no conf tourney title, one WCWS appearance (5yrs ago) with no wins.

That is not Texas A&M. Baseball did as well and was let go. same for volleyball, mens basketball, football
and prob some others im leaving out.
bv86ag
AG
Yeah the folks who didn't like the way Jo Evans was let go were the same people beating us in recruiting and on the field.
So of course they wanted Texas A&M mired in mediocrity for as long as possible.
They don't give a rats azz about A&M.
KBAGOLFER
bv86ag said:

Yeah the folks who didn't like the way Jo Evans was let go were the same people beating us in recruiting and on the field.

This, A&M in softball is more of a SLEEPING GIANT than football was/is…
KayakBassAngling
greg.w.h
AG
Those Aggies who want coaches respected at termination know you can only sell your reputation once.
monarch
S
I can agree maybe, but this is big time softball we are missing out on. Let everybody else ***** if they want. We need to get our program up to the level it should be at. Have said in the past, liked Jo a lot, a lot, knew her well, but we have been passed by. Cant let that happen here.
Peace for Ukraine!
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

You sound as though you have reason to think that something is about to go down and/or that Bjork has finished the interview process...

As the WCWS progresses and we don't have a hire doesn't that sound like Bjork wants to at least have a conversation with some of the coaches still playing?
greg.w.h
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

You sound as though you have reason to think that something is about to go down and/or that Bjork has finished the interview process...

As the WCWS progresses and we don't have a hire doesn't that sound like Bjork wants to at least have a conversation with some of the coaches still playing?
No one here has a clear idea what is going to happen. Most are at best stating hopes. It sounds like a couple of coaches have already in essence taken themselves out of the process. That suggests our offer is low.
AWP 97
AG
bv86ag said:

I'm not a big follower of softball but I just happen to be at the age where I know quite a few parents of high level softball recruits. I always ask if their kid(s) are looking at A&M and I was disappointed to hear over and over that as long as Jo Evans was the coach their kids wouldn't go to A&M. This happened with 4-5 recruits who A&M was recruiting. Again, I'm no expert but this is what I was told by the parents I talked to. I'm not sure if that info means much but it's my two cents.
Cow Pie & Fries
Granted, we are pretty much in the dark on this hire. In reading this thread it's reminding me when on the baseball side MJ was fired. We got every target on our list mega raises
Aston04
AG
bv86ag said:

amen.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
greg.w.h said:

85AustinAg said:

Quote:

No one here has a clear idea what is going to happen. Most are at best stating hopes. It sounds like a couple of coaches have already in essence taken themselves out of the process. That suggests our offer is low.

For someone that does not like speculation, you sure will engage in it.
85AustinAg
AG
"No one here has a clear idea what is going to happen. Most are at best stating hopes. It sounds like a couple of coaches have already in essence taken themselves out of the process. That suggests our offer is low."

Not sure why you are responding to a question for someone else. We don't need to be told over and again that no one knows what's going on.

Lots of good informative conversation on here and you seem to want to tell us how little anybody on here knows. Point made, loud and clear.
Aggies2009
AG
I don't get it. How WAS "Evans let go" that was so egregious? She finished her contract and wasn't renewed. I liked Coach Evans, but it's a results-based business and she wasn't producing the last 5 years.

What problems do people have with "how she was let go"?
Cable0790
AG
It was known half way through the season Evans would not be back. This is from a D 1 pitching coach. Not me but a family member.
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
KBAGOLFER
From my experience…
Softball coaches that are in the top 25 don't move from their gig. I literally can think of two. Mike White Oregon to tu and Allister from Minnesota to Stanford (she played there). Now, I could be missing a handful, but all this to say, if A&M, Ross, and KRISTEN BROWN are able to get a standing WCWS HC or Rocha, Holy Cow that would be a Game-changer to say the very least

I wish I could talk to these candidates I'd love to be apart of this.
KayakBassAngling
BQ_90
AG
Cable0790 said:

It was known half way through the season Evans would not be back. This is from a D 1 pitching coach. Not me but a family member.
It was known from the start of the season or really last year. She started this year without any remaining time on her contract. We did the same exact thing with Childress
greg.w.h
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

greg.w.h said:

85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Actually, I'm just repeating comments made earlier without being specific about the coaches.
greg.w.h
AG
BQ_90 said:

Cable0790 said:

It was known from the start of the season or really last year. She started this year without any remaining time on her contract. We did the same exact thing with Childress
Pretty sure both contracts expired on schedule. Blair was allowed to work one extra year after contract expiration and we don't know the mechanism.

Someone else claiming to know she was going to not be extended needs to provide details or they didn't know. Just Jo telling them might be sufficient, if we know the person. Otherwise it's hogwash.
Chase
AG
greg.w.h said:

BQ_90 said:

Cable0790 said:

Pretty sure both contracts expired on schedule. Blair was allowed to work one extra year after contract expiration and we don't know the mechanism.

Someone else claiming to know she was going to not be extended needs to provide details or they didn't know. Just Jo telling them might be sufficient, if we know the person. Otherwise it's hogwash.

Or...and hear me out here...

You could stop threadcrapping by continually saying no one knows anything and inserting your disbelief/hints that people are lying.

Everyone already knows that message board posts are most likely speculation and that there will be people acting like they know when they dont.

Let people have their discussion.

Oh, and no one needs to provide you "details or they didnt know". That just isnt a requirement for whether or not something is true.
BQ_90
AG
You get block feature with 2 stars, use it for this clown. You'll thank me later missing all the stupid stuff posted by him
greg.w.h
AG
Chase said:

greg.w.h said:

BQ_90 said:

Cable0790 said:

You could stop threadcrapping by continually saying no one knows anything and inserting your disbelief/hints that people are lying.

Everyone already knows that message board posts are most likely speculation and that there will be people acting like they know when they dont.

I could. But I think calling people out when they don't have news and dump on fellow Aggies is a very helpful part of this conversation. But the mods are free to choose to reward either group by silencing they other group. I presume as long as we keep the discussion in a single thread they're okay with it. What they know is what Lucci and company know and whether the information is broadly known or not.
Chase
AG
greg.w.h said:

Chase said:

greg.w.h said:

BQ_90 said:

Cable0790 said:

I could. But I think calling people out when they don't have news and dump on fellow Aggies is a very helpful part of this conversation. But the mods are free to choose to reward either group by silencing they other group. I presume as long as we keep the discussion in a single thread they're okay with it. What they know is what Lucci and company know and whether the information is broadly known or not.

You're being condescending but not outright rude....its not something moderator-worthy, really. iappreciated you saying it the first time but after doing it repeatedly, it just seems an odd hill to make a stand on and interrupts the conversation of people interested in the discussion.

As for the rest,

1 - who dumped on an Aggie? I guess I missed that.

2 - Knowing she wasn't going to be extended isn't exactly rocket science, is it? In this age of recruiting battles, ADs don't let a coach they're keeping get into their final year unless they aren't going to offer a new deal.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
greg.w.h said:

Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

greg.w.h said:

85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Actually, I'm just repeating comments made earlier without being specific about the coaches.

I will help you out. Billy confirmed Alameda was offered the job and turned it down, no other offers have been made and no other coaches have declined the position publicly. Posters on the string have no inside info and anything they post is speculation Alameda actually came close to taking it because after her visit that was paid for by the AD, she came back on her own dime to make another visit.
dodger02
AG
I don't think we would build a giant ass softball stadium, dump a truck load of money into the west campus athletics infrastructure and NOT swing for the fences.

Someone posted that Tim Walton makes $250k-ish per year with another $250k sweetener on top. I'd be willing to bet we'd pay $300k in the blink of an eye. The infrastructure and the recruiting base has softball as poised as any program on campus to win big quickly.

I think we are going hard after a big name. Harder than most any program in the country would pursue a non-revenue coach.
HiddenAg2
A&M is not making low ball offers. It's going to be tough to turn down any offer we make. Lonnie was very close to taking the job. In the end just couldn't leave what she built at FSU. I have no problem with that.

We are going to land a big time coach.
LatinAggie1997
AG
FTR I had a good idea about Lonni before most.

On the offers...agree with others that we aren't low balling. I would guess we would offer $325 base salary to TW with all the bells and whistles of incentives and bonuses. SEC softball is about to dominate the media and viewership in new ways with the addition of the big12 refugees.
AgDad77
AG
Who is Big Time???

I don't see us Money Whipping
Bama
Florida
Ok State

We were going to make Loni the highest paid except for Gasso.
GigMe03
IF the TW rumors are true, I think it will be announced by Wednesday and could potentially be our best hire, though many would disagree. I'm not sure if Kylfoil has been picked up from the transfer portal, but she would also be a key player we need a good coach to recruit. Delbrey is a freshman for UF and he may be able to bring her to A&M as well. IMO Kennedy is our best pitcher, but she needs help. I liked the pitching by committee approach we went with toward the end of the season. Herzog is great, but she is hit or miss. I enjoy watching Uribe, but she is on the weaker end of our staff and is more of a closer than a starter. Based off this past season, i think our pitching staff needs the most help. Getting a new HC who has good influence over picking up these pitchers is crucial, especially because they can bring in a better pitching coach for us.

Either way, hopefully Snider stays on our staff. I think these girls have a great relationship with him. I think JE was the real issue with the team.
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

Who is Big Time???

I don't see us Money Whipping
Bama
Florida
Ok State

We were going to make Loni the highest paid except for Gasso.

We'll money whip whoever the AD's and Davis' want
KayakBassAngling
AgDad77
AG
Didn't work with Lonni
TxA&Mhunter
AG
"and the Davis' want"
Is way more true than people realize.
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

Didn't work with Lonni

Yeah it did, enough two visit 2x not once and at the last 2nd decided to stay. Even though told many people she was leaving and back tracked it.

She also got money whipped by FSU too to stay. They have money too
KayakBassAngling
AgDad77
AG
hahahahha
If it would have worked she would have been our coach now!!!

She isn't- so it DIDNT!!!

They don't have the $$$ that we do!!
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

hahahahha
If it would have worked she would have been our coach now!!!

She isn't- so it DIDNT!!!

They don't have the $$$ that we do!!

Do you like A&M softball? Seems like you're rooting really hard that we enter next year with Snider or no coach. I could be wrong. I'll believe in Ross and Kristen until they prove otherwise.
KayakBassAngling

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.