Softball Coach Update

136,560 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Chase
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

If he leaves it would not be because of money only. Imo, he wants to be the best and surpass Gasso. If we offer and FL counters, I believe he will go where he believes he can cement his legacy. Stay at FL and continue what he built, or come to A&M and rebuild a blue blood into a national powerhouse. Taking two programs to national prominence and winning titles is rare softbal and exclusive club. None in D1 that I can recall.
In that sort of scenario, I think it comes down to personality type unless the first program is just not treating them well.

Without that sort of problem, I believe it comes down to how comfortable are you at school1 vs is the challenge year-in-and-year-out still enough at school1 as it would be climbing that hill again at school 2.

Do they want the extra grind of the rebuild or is that part of their drive/satisfaction further down the list now that they've been there and done that.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Precisely why I think he would consider it. He is confident person amd has a bit of attitude to go with it, imo. The opposite of Pat Murphy who is humble and classy.
greg.w.h
AG
Great discussion. Wish any of it was insightful on what we are actually going to do…
Colt98
AG
What major rebuild do you speak of? The whole team is coming back. The same team that smoked Bama. Took a game from florida, and lost most games in the 7th inning this year. We are a culture change, defense accountability and a couple of big transfers away from contending. It's not like we are Arkansas a few years ago. This program isn't in bad shape, just needs a new leader to give it an updated perspective. Oh.... and a top notch pitching coach.
85AustinAg
AG
So what areas does A&M have the advantage?

Just guesses, again not well versed in College Softball:
1. Money
2. Fertile Recruiting Grounds (maybe he already has this don't know)
3. Top notch facilities - again don't know what they have.
4. $ to get best Assistants available
4. Support from Administration

Also I think the attraction of coaching at a "blue blood" program in a sport is way over rated. With universities opening the pocket book, paying well, and coaches comfortable where they are - they see it as building a blue blood program.

We got Jimbo because the timing was right, he was fed up with the FSU administration and wanted a clean break. Buzz came for a raise and an opportunity to move back to Texas and the timing worked. I think with Schlossnagle the timing was right as well. I believe he went through a divorce, so the limiting factors at TCU and wanted a new start.

LatinAggie1997
AG
Colt98 said:

What major rebuild do you speak of? The whole team is coming back. The same team that smoked Bama. Took a game from florida, and lost most games in the 7th inning this year. We are a culture change, defense accountability and a couple of big transfers away from contending. It's not like we are Arkansas a few years ago. This program isn't in bad shape, just needs a new leader to give it an updated perspective. Oh.... and a top notch pitching coach.

Major rebuild? Rebuild a blue blood back into a powerhouse...big difference.
Returning players have nothing to do with turning the program around. Coaching helps but consistency in recruiting and coaching earns national perception, conf championships, and national titles.

We have the money and facilities and live in the 2nd best state for the sport. We are an elite staff away from becoming OU, FL,Bama.

Edited to add: pitching coach is important but the ability to scout and recruit pitchers is paramount. Go watch some PGF games and you'll seen a different level of skill. These coaches recognize talent from 12-14U...you have to see it that early and keep up with them. They don't typically turn a regular into a star in college, the star just gets shiner in college through coaching.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Imo, he has to sell himself on what he wants to accomplish. I think we are the better job if you take away his success.

If he wants to be the Saban of softball or on the conversation with Patty Gasso, Mike Candrea, and Sue Enquist...he should win titles at A&M.

That alone would set him apart from the field.
cevans_40
AG
greg.w.h said:

Great discussion. Wish any of it was insightful on what we are actually going to do…

Which is?
KBAGOLFER
Get back to where Bob Brock had it! If you don't know who that is, look him up…
KayakBassAngling
BrokenLFarms
S
It is no secret that TW felt "slighted" by the UF admin when SP stadium was granted mere "upgrades" vs baseball who received a brand new stadium + in regard to facilities. That is not the lone reason for TW's eyes to be open in regard to moving…but it is a major one.

There is a reason TW reached out to Schloss back in late Feb-Early March asking about the direction A&M was going in regard to Jo's future.
To say he is interested in the A&M job is an understatement.

KBAGOLFER
BrokenLFarms said:

It is no secret that TW felt "slighted" by the UF admin when SP stadium was granted mere "upgrades" vs baseball who received a brand new stadium + in regard to facilities. That is not the lone reason for TW's eyes to be open in regard to moving…but it is a major one.

There is a reason TW reached out to Schloss back in late Feb-Early March asking about the direction A&M was going in regard to Jo's future.

Insight, BOOM!
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Heck, he had A&M as the premier program in the early days of the sport.
Had good talks with a player from those teams many times.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Interesting. I hadn't heard about his interest directly. Only that he was considering his legacy and how to best cement it. That makes lots of sense if you combine it all.
ashleymac
I'm not normally this person and am very much a the best fit for the job should get the job.

However, it just seems wrong, for lack of better terms, that after this program being in the hands of a woman for 20+ years, giving it to a man.

I think the perception itself would be horrid and cement the overall all feeling that A&M is a "Good Ol Boys" club. I don't know if that's the direction we want to go with our softball team.
_mpaul
AG
ashleymac said:

I'm not normally this person and am very much a the best fit for the job should get the job.

However, it just seems wrong, for lack of better terms, that after this program being in the hands of a woman for 20+ years, giving it to a man.

I think the perception itself would be horrid and cement the overall all feeling that A&M is a "Good Ol Boys" club. I don't know if that's the direction we want to go with our softball team.
No offense intended, but that's ridiculous. Even more so if we were to end up hiring a coach who has already had amazing success elsewhere.
AgDad77
AG
You beat me too it - lol
greg.w.h
AG
ashleymac said:

I actually was very excited we hired Joni for basketball in part because of Blair's long tenure. Now please note he is the quintessential promoter of collegiate athletics for women so it was not a concern about falling short. Just though it was nice that the new coach is female and a minority.

I don't think it is a huge deal as long as the internal compliance watches out for how women and minorities are included in consideration. Winning must be a key consideration that should be balanced with other ones.

Texas A&M has had a history of running off coaches. It actually is pleasant to see longer tenures (no, not that kind.) And Jo was hired for the right reasons. But only had one excellent WCWS run.

We really do need a coach that either has a skin or checks a lot of boxes on the recruiting, player development, and frankly program development areas. Plus ability to hire great assistants that get regularly hired into other programs and replaced. If no WCWS championship then at least several WCWS runs with at least 2-3 wins each would be checking all those boxes. And high energy and high accountability.
KBAGOLFER
May the best candidate be the one that comes. If they are male or female makes no difference. Lonnie turned us down our 1st choice was a female…
KayakBassAngling
greg.w.h
AG
cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

Which is?
I don't think anyone here knows.
KBAGOLFER
greg.w.h said:

cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

Which is?

Except the people who do
KayakBassAngling
greg.w.h
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

greg.w.h said:

cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

Which is?

Except the people who do
None of the discussion here is particularly insightful. So it's like no one does. From the first post to now.
Chase
AG
ashleymac said:

See - this is where I have a problem with the idea of trying to make any group, be they men/women/other, different races/ethnicities or the disabled, the goal of a hire or appointment.

For background, this is coming from someone raised by a struggling, single mother for most of my childhood, married to a strong woman and raising three girls (and a boy) in this era, two of which are on the autistic spectrum. I'm all for strong women, equal opportunity and inclusion.

BUT...

The goal of a hire or appointment is to end up with the best person for the job.

If you are wanting inclusion, then that means all qualified candidates from any group should be in the discussion for the position, it doesn't mean they should be THE finalist or everyone worries "Oh no, how does that make us look?!?"

Equality is equal consideration and no one getting the position BECAUSE of their gender, race, handicap, etc.
sharpdressedman
BrokenLFarms said:

Most intriguing and informative comment on this thread. Thank you.
TXAggie2011
AG
My contribution of something I know to be true, that I can add to this mess of a thread full of a lot of nothing, is that Lonnie's name is actually spelled Lonni.
greg.w.h
AG
The information on TW has to be confirmed with a hire. Otherwise it's helpful to notice TW checks the most important boxes.
KBAGOLFER
TXAggie2011 said:

My contribution of something I know to be true, that I can add to this mess of a thread full of a lot of nothing, is that Lonnie's name is actually spelled Lonni.

Auto Spell sucks

My Apple iPhone knows I love Lonnie's Fried Chicken on Sundays

BTW-from said coach I have a handwritten letter thanking me for something. So yeah I know how to spell her name!!!
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Folks coming here to find out who the next coach is won' learn anything. Folks coming here to find out who the next coach should be or could be are learning something. We must ALL wait until a team loses at a specific time.
Colt98
AG
Latin, I've had the pleasure of coaching to a top 10 Pgf finish. And you are correct. At that level you know who is going to be a stud. Montana beat us 2-1 the next year and put us in the losers bracket, only to be taken out by bat buster with their almost entire OU committed team. You could tell she was special. Actually. Come to think about it.. every girl on that team is in the WCWS this week
KBAGOLFER
LatinAggie1997 said:

Folks coming here to find out who the next coach is won' learn anything. Folks coming here to find out who the next coach should be or could be are learning something. We must ALL wait until a team loses at a specific time.

We'll said, to me it's still a 5 horse race. I believe 4 that Ross knows about. Rocha, Latin and I think would be a perfect get if she wanted it but 100% isn't on the radar.

I still keep coming back to Kenny G,he's extended I know, Lonni after July 2nd, and those already mentioned
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Yep, exactly why imo a coach/recruiter that spots talent is more important than a pitching coach alone. Now, a coach that was a pitcher and recruits well is almost unstoppable.

Gasso was very smart to build relationships with the CA teams. Those girls choose OU first and second while the other teams get their share of what is left...and those are still elite.

I recall watching Corona Angels Tyson play an OC BB team. Tyson called for a bunt but the girl didn't lay it down. He immediately pulled her and the sub laid it down the next pitch moving the runner.
Every game we went to watch (while our girls warmed up) I saw the same things:
1. CA team had huge rosters meaning girls wanted to be on the team, get coached up, and knew they had to fight ro see the field, no whining about being a starter 2. Every girl up in the dugout on the fence yelling for her teammates and paying attention to the game.

I remember a major D1 coach talking about CA girls being the toughest mentally. Our trips to PGF gave me a new perspective on travel ball.
Luckily, we joined a team that shared many of those attributes and got much much better. Coaching makes a world of difference and so does the mentality and philosophy they play woth daily.
Cow Pie & Fries
BrokenLFarms said:

This is the definition of a " nugget "

Really want to see softball back to " Brock Level" trophy hoisting again .
85AustinAg
AG
85AustinAg
AG
"I don't think anyone here knows."

I think there are several on here that know more than most and that's good with me, good for discussion.

Certain people knew Jimbo was coming as well as Buzz. Nobody knows right now because Bjork doesn't know right now.

I guarantee you there will be folks on here that know before most of us do. It's Always been that way.
Colt98
AG
We were playing Tyson in a practice game before pgf started and were whooping on them. Ferarmo was pitching.... he yanked the entire staring 9 and had them run foul poles why we finished the last 3 innings.

Cali is a different breed of parents. I don't think they have more talented girls then Texas... they just get developed way different. In a way most parents in Texas wouldn't except.. I have some great stories and great memories competing against those teams.

Now back to coach discussion. I think the longer we go during WCWS not announcing a new coach Tim may be the guy.
greg.w.h
AG
85AustinAg said:

"I don't think anyone here knows."

I think there are several on here that know more than most and that's good with me, good for discussion.

Certain people knew Jimbo was coming as well as Buzz. Nobody knows right now because Bjork doesn't know right now.

I guarantee you there will be folks on here that know before most of us do. It's Always been that way.
Did you forget to use a second sock???

No one who knows will violate confidence unless permitted to leak which doesn't seem to be Bjork's style. Unless it is…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.