Softball Coach Update

136,433 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
KW02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Listen to KBA on getting an assistant and needing to be a pitching coach. If we get anyone else we will also pay whatever we can to get the best pitching coach out there.
cevans_40
AG
KW02 said:

I agree that "We are likely to money whip in softball" with this coaching hire. Money will be no object if that is the issue with any coach out there.

I thought we were getting Kenny G initially by my guess is that we are getting Walton. Rocha would be a good get if we go after an assistant.

If you get Rocha, you already have an assistant (Snider).
85AustinAg
AG
Not a softball guy but an alum with interest in all of A&M athletics.

Tier A. From my research of top HC's to go after the list is pretty obvious. Just look at who has been at the WCWS in the past 5 years or so. If you dig deeper you'll notice that all of them have been at their positions for 15+ years and so I'm guessing they are pretty comfortable. Money may make a difference but my guess is that Bjork is trying to determine that first thing.

Tier B. If you look beyond current higher echelon HC's there are folks like Deifel at Arkansas, or there are new coaches at Arizona and Georgia (other recent teams who've had a lot of success) who have been HC's one year after replacing long time HC's who were legends at their school. The list of next level up and comer HC's is a bigger pool than what I mentioned but those are just names that came up when I looked at who has been to the WCWS in the past 5 years.

Tier C. The next tier is first Assistants and names like Rocha at OU or Fernandez at UCLA (have no idea if she would have any interest of leaving her alma mater) and this list goes on and a lot of others on here can name additional folks that would be on this list.

If we can't get a top 5 or so HC from another school - and money it appears will be the only thing to lure them away because of their current tenure - do you go after an up and comer like Deifel at Arkansas or do you go after some of these top assistants that have been at top tier Softball teams and have appeared in a lot of WCWS games that are waiting for their chance.

FWIW - I think I'd try and get a top assistant who has been around some of these highly successful HC's - assuming after they interview with Bjork that he's satisfied they are the best available choice. In other words I'd rather have a coach like Rocha than a coach like Deifel.

cevans_40
AG
Deifel is my top choice. What she has done at Arkansas is amazing.
KBAGOLFER
cevans_40 said:

Deifel is my top choice. What she has done at Arkansas is amazing.

This, they were a literal laughing stock before her, and she's a pitching coach. Didn't score enough against tu, keep snider on, and go get a great defensive coach. A&M was HORRIBLE on defense last year with their 16 players jo loved so much

Jo, when you only have 16 players 4 being pitchers there's no accountability for continuing to screw up and make bone head plays. The defense has talent, but needs accountability
KayakBassAngling
cevans_40
AG
We will get better defensively only because we can't get any worse. Deifel has done a good job finding pitchers in the portal as well as evaluating and developing the ones she has recruited. If she can get her hitting coach to come with her, that would soften the blow of losing Snider.

Oh...we have to find a catcher. If Lee doesn't stay, Dack needs to move to 1st.
MSTC Man
AG
I agree with KBA. Jo didn't have enough depth. The players never feared losing their position. When you look at the Aggie line-up, Snider really didn't have 9 hitters.
LatinAggie1997
AG
1. Haley is coming back.
2. SS had the most errors iirc. Yes, bad hops happen but she was lacking in fundamentals on ground balls too often.
3. My new list
A. Rocha
B. Deifel
C. By this point if it isn't a top tier coach or my A/B...meh.

Edited: Why Rocha over Deifel now?
I really think she can be a special coach/recruiter with her experience as an assistant at Florida and OU....AND she must be hungry, wanting her own legacy.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
LatinAggie1997 said:

1. Haley is coming back.
2. SS had the most errors iirc. Yes, bad hops happen but she was lacking in fundamentals on ground balls too often.
3. My new list
A. Rocha
B. Deifel

I really think she can be a special coach/recruiter with her experience as an assistant at Florida and OU....AND she must be hungry, wanting her own legacy.

One thing I really like about Deifel is being able to recruit California effectively
Aggie*_86
AG
sharpdressedman said:

I found this item about Murphy:

"Alabama Softball coach Patrick Murphy was inducted into the Class of 2022 for the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, May 7. The Crimson Tide's head coach became the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame's first member for the sport of softball."

I would be shocked if he left Bama.

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/05/08/patrick-murphy-first-softball-coach-inducted-alabama-sports-hall-fame/
Oh but how sweet would it be? lol
LatinAggie1997
AG
Yes, but OU has CA locked...Rocha could fight Patty for the elite and win some.
KBAGOLFER
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

LatinAggie1997 said:

1. Haley is coming back.
3. My new list
A. Rocha
B. Deifel

One thing I really like about Deifel is being able to recruit California effectively

NOBODY RECRUITS CALI BETTER THAN OU aka Rocha and Gasso, Deifel is up there though, but so are a lot on my list, if it gets past my top 5, you have to gamble HUGE ON WHOSE THE NEXT BIG THING

Aka
Deifel
Kenny G
Young
Lowe
Etc.
KayakBassAngling
Colt98
AG
There was no accountability when she had 27 players
KBAGOLFER
Colt98 said:

There was no accountability when she had 27 players

Very TRUE!!!
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
The baseball tournament begins tomorrow. The women's tournament began today and the sips scored an upset on day one.

We must get a high priority target!

My guess is that our future coach is playing right now and we can't announce until they are eliminated/win.
KBAGOLFER
LatinAggie1997 said:

The baseball tournament begins tomorrow. The women's tournament began today and the sips scored an upset on day one.

My guess is that our future coach is playing right now and we can't announce until they are eliminated/win.

I'm conflicted on this
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
How so? I believe we it will be Rocha or Deifel...although Deifel is done and comes with different stipulations. My gut tells me it will ne a current coach or assistant still playing.

That's my gut without speaking to any friends.
BrokenLFarms
S
LatinAggie1997 said:

Perhaps…That is if priority target 1B (aka C.Deifel) does not come to pass.
If that happens, then yes Tim and his Gators are still playing.

A&M will not be hiring ANY current assistant to be the HC…including any that are still playing.

The list has always been headed by:
1A-Lonnie
1B-Courtney

LatinAggie1997
AG
Yes, I get that and have posted exactly that. However, should we not get Deifel then Rocha has to be priority #1 with TW as 1B.
KBAGOLFER
LatinAggie1997 said:

Yes, I get that and have posted exactly that. However, should we not get Deifel then Rocha has to be priority #1 with TW as 1B.

Latin,
I honestly don't think Bjork knows who Rocha is. I'd love love Rocha as my 5th pick, but CD, TW, MY, PM are ahead of her. I think the only way she gets a call or look is if a huge donor knows Ross, reads this and he does some digging to see if she'd leave her university

So like 5% chance
KayakBassAngling
Rambotx
I think AD Bjork does not announce our new coach until after the WCWS is completed.
BrokenLFarms
S
LatinAggie1997 said:

From what I have been told, Rocha is content waiting out Patti to be the next HC at OU. Unlike Missy (Lombardi) who was up for a HC challenge immediately vs waiting any longer.

However KBAGOLFER is likely correct in that Rocha is unknown to Ross at this time. Meaning maybe Rocha's mind would change if presented with an A&M offer.
LatinAggie1997
AG
I have it on good authority that I am guessing....

If Bjork is doing his DD to ensure the right hire, he would absolutely include speaking to Tori and Amanda, along with friends of the program. I know coach Adrian G. knows who she is as do our Aggie SECN contacts.
85AustinAg
AG
Who is Aka?
KBAGOLFER
No idea, what does aka mean?
KayakBassAngling
MSTC Man
AG
85AustinAg said:

Who is Aka?

Also Know As????
85AustinAg
AG
Aka
Deifel
Kenny G
Young
Lowe
Etc.
ought1ag
AG
YMCA..........anyone else thinking of this song after reading this last page!?!?
Positive Yardage
AG
If Walton is a target, he is making the most of how much it will cost. Going and knocking off the 3-seed on the road to get to OKC and now a matchup tomorrow night with Okie Lite to see who stands one win away from the finals.

That place will be ABSOLUTELY BONKERS tomorrow. Red River Rivalry on ABC in game one and Kenny G against his buddy in game two.
Positive Yardage
AG
ought1ag said:

YMCA..........anyone else thinking of this song after reading this last page!?!?
Well, I mean our once-proud program has looked more like a rec team the last couple years?
LatinAggie1997
AG
Walton earned his money the past 10 years.
He has recruited well and coached well. He wasn't on the top of my list for different reasons.

He is a proven winner.

AgDad77
AG
Does Florida really let him go - especially to us??
Wouldn't they match us?
LatinAggie1997
AG
If he leaves it would not be because of money only. Imo, he wants to be the best and surpass Gasso. If we offer and FL counters, I believe he will go where he believes he can cement his legacy. Stay at FL and continue what he built, or come to A&M and rebuild a blue blood into a national powerhouse. Taking two programs to national prominence and winning titles is rare softbal and exclusive club. None in D1 that I can recall.
fitzwatema
AG
Love coming here to read all the updates and thoughts on potential coaches!
AgDad77
AG
Great Point and would be a big steal for sure!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.