Nebraska - Appears search is over, candidate not named

25,881 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

LOYAL AG said:

_mpaul said:

I better not hear we gave him an extension and/or more money to stay . . .
Odds are he'll get an extension. To not do so would hurt his ability to recruit. That's how the game is played, we all know this.

He has two years left on his contract...I would agree with you if next was his last year and he was a lame duck coach
That's short sighted. The HS kids we're recruiting right now are going to arrive for the 2021 season which is the last on his contract. So other coaches are going to tell kids that RC will be here for their freshman year then he's done. That's a bad situation.
HoustonAg2106
AG
LOYAL AG said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

LOYAL AG said:

_mpaul said:

Odds are he'll get an extension. To not do so would hurt his ability to recruit. That's how the game is played, we all know this.

He has two years left on his contract...I would agree with you if next was his last year and he was a lame duck coach
That's short sighted. The HS kids we're recruiting right now are going to arrive for the 2021 season which is the last on his contract. So other coaches are going to tell kids that RC will be here for their freshman year then he's done. That's a bad situation.

And we won't be signing those kids anytime soon, he'll be fired or extended by the time he signs those kids based on his performance next season
PhatMack19
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Yea definitely misread that, still don't think they will pay RC enough to leave
So if you are RC, would you rather make 800k for one more year (maybe) then unkown, or secure 650k for the next 5?

RC has two seasons left on his contract and the guy before Erstad made $330k

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/baseball/anderson-fired-as-nebraska-baseball-coach/article_cd054316-b0b0-5ad9-93a8-2444c1f8e181.html

Nebraska isn't spending a half a million on a coach, not even close

Erstad has been the coach at Nebraska since 2012. The guy before him made $330k which was pretty good back then. Childress made $360k that same year before baseball salaries went crazy.

$500k is not out of reach for a program like Nebraska. 21 Head coaches made more than that in 2018
HoustonAg2106
AG
PhatMack19 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Yea definitely misread that, still don't think they will pay RC enough to leave
So if you are RC, would you rather make 800k for one more year (maybe) then unkown, or secure 650k for the next 5?

RC has two seasons left on his contract and the guy before Erstad made $330k

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/baseball/anderson-fired-as-nebraska-baseball-coach/article_cd054316-b0b0-5ad9-93a8-2444c1f8e181.html

Nebraska isn't spending a half a million on a coach, not even close

Erstad has been the coach at Nebraska since 2012. The guy before him made $330k which was pretty good back then. Childress made $360k that same year before baseball salaries went crazy.

$500k is not out of reach for a program like Nebraska. 21 Head coaches made more than that in 2018

I don't know if you've been keeping up with the news today, but RC is not going anywhere so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

And I'll bet you whoever they hire will make under $500k
PhatMack19
AG
Not trying to prove anything. You are the one that used 8 yr old data to infer that Nebraska wouldn't pay anywhere close to $500k a year. My point it that they can and will if they find the right guy. Nebraska averages more fans at their games than we do. They have the money.
Aston94
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Not trying to prove anything. You are the one that used 8 yr old data to infer that Nebraska wouldn't pay anywhere close to $500k a year. My point it that they can and will if they find the right guy. Nebraska averages more fans at their games than we do. They have the money.

Not that I disagree with your point, but according to NCAA stats we averaged 500 more fans per game than Nebraska this season.
greg.w.h
AG
Nebraska due to their deal only started receiving the full 50.6 million revenue share in 17-18.

https://www.omaha.com/news/education/nebraska-s-move-to-the-big-ten-pays-off-with/article_b3a0c321-abd9-5786-878d-d02e1bc7c422.html
Artimus Gordon
And with that money they got a new football coach, a new basketball coach and soon to be announced new baseball coach.

And meanwhile the fighting Texas Aggies sit on their thumbs with the 6th best baseball team in the sec west and wait Regional Rob to luck into a trip to Omaha. Helluva deal.
Aston94
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

And with that money they got a new football coach, a new basketball coach and soon to be announced new baseball coach.

And meanwhile the fighting Texas Aggies sit on their thumbs with the 6th best baseball team in the sec west and wait Regional Rob to luck into a trip to Omaha. Helluva deal.

Do you enjoy wallowing in your own self pity? If memory serves I think A&M has just spent a few dollars on a football and basketball coach. Let's give the new AD just a bit of time to evaluate the baseball coach.
LOYAL AG
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

LOYAL AG said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

LOYAL AG said:

_mpaul said:

And we won't be signing those kids anytime soon, he'll be fired or extended by the time he signs those kids based on his performance next season
Completely incorrect. As in nowhere close to correct. Take a closer look at the calendar. A significant portion of high school kids signing to be freshmen during the spring 2021 season will sign their scholarships this November. The rest of them will sign in April 2020, during next season. Both will happen long before he's fired or extended based on the outcome of next season.

Sign in November 2019 and April 2020
Graduate May 2020
Enroll Summer 2020
Play as freshman spring 2021

If we don't extend him this year he's recruiting against the clock. And given the tone of the fan base in the wake of another season of not advancing out of a road regional he's clearly on the hot seat. It will hurt the program if we don't extend him.
twk
AG
There are extensions, and then there are extensions. If they give him a fig leaf of another year on the contract, but no increase in the buyout, that would be fine. Sometimes, paying a buyout is just the cost of doing business. But, in a sport where your annual budget is $4 million, having a buyout that costs you 50% of your budget or more, for a coach who isn't going anywhere, is not prudent. If Rob is concerned about the effect on recruiting, then he should be willing to give some on his side by negotiating an extension with a more reasonable buyout. We are at a decision point, and both sides have to realize that.
TAL06RES
AG
The issue in recruiting is not the upcoming class. That class is almost fully committed at this point. The issue would be the 2021 class.
LOYAL AG
AG
twk said:

There are extensions, and then there are extensions. If they give him a fig leaf of another year on the contract, but no increase in the buyout, that would be fine. Sometimes, paying a buyout is just the cost of doing business. But, in a sport where your annual budget is $4 million, having a buyout that costs you 50% of your budget or more, for a coach who isn't going anywhere, is not prudent. If Rob is concerned about the effect on recruiting, then he should be willing to give some on his side by negotiating an extension with a more reasonable buyout. We are at a decision point, and both sides have to realize that.
Absolutely. I'm certainly not arguing we should give him a fully guaranteed 5 year extension that would cost us $4M to buy out after 2020. I'm simply saying that to go into 2020 with the current contract is irresponsible.
LOYAL AG
AG
TAL06RES said:

The issue in recruiting is not the upcoming class. That class is almost fully committed at this point. The issue would be the 2021 class.
Given how little intel there is about baseball recruiting I'm curious as to how you know this.
TAL06RES
AG
LOYAL AG said:

TAL06RES said:

Given how little intel there is about baseball recruiting I'm curious as to how you know this.
It's out there. I follow college baseball much closer than football... perfect game has everyone's recruiting classes
LOYAL AG
AG
TAL06RES said:

LOYAL AG said:

TAL06RES said:

It's out there. I follow college baseball much closer than football... perfect game has everyone's recruiting classes
Ok, I'll take your word for it. I've never followed baseball recruiting I guess because I'm old enough to remember when there was no information out there to be found.

Still TWK nailed it. There are extensions and there are extensions. We need to show the world he's our guy beyond the 2021 season. That doesn't mean we have to guarantee anymore money than we already have. Create the appearance of stability and work the deal so that we get some concessions if 2020 doesn't show improvement and he gets the impact of a five year deal on the recruiting trail.
drthoop
AG
Create the appearance of stability

Today's ballplayers and their families are not that stupid. They know he is probably a lame duck even if he does get an extension.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
swimmerbabe11
wilhunting
AG
*BINGO*

drthoop said:

Create the appearance of stability

Today's ballplayers and their families are not that stupid. They know he is probably a lame duck even if he does get an extension.
Goro Majima
AG
I've moved on from this. If they're not gonna hire Childress, I'd at least like them to take Bolt.
BQ_90
AG
Goro Majima said:

I've moved on from this. If they're not gonna hire Childress, I'd at least like them to take Bolt.
If it's Bolt why the delay in announcing it
TAL06RES
AG
BQ_90 said:

Goro Majima said:

Apparently Bolt interviewed with Moos in the last day or so. Appears to be between him and Heller (Iowa HC).
Aggie09Derek
AG
jkag89
Aston94 said:

Artimus Gordon said:

Do you enjoy wallowing in your own self pity? If memory serves I think A&M has just spent a few dollars on a football and basketball coach. Let's give the new AD just a bit of time to evaluate the baseball coach.
What is even funnier about that post is that Childress was apparently the mains focus of the Nebraska search, the very coach Artimus has been weeping, wailing & gnashing his teeth about all season (if not longer). Will Bolt being hired at Nebraska will make it all the funnier.
who?mikejones
AG
Looks like it is bolt, according to rodgers.
Mark Fairchild
AG
If what Rogers says comes to fruition, then perhaps we can hire an assistant that can assess, recruit, and coach offense. If the problems persist after Bolt's departure, then the new AD will have a clear picture of where the problem lies and how to best solve it.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Bunk Moreland
Mark Fairchild said:

If what Rogers says comes to fruition, then perhaps we can hire an assistant that can assess, recruit, and coach offense. If the problems persist after Bolt's departure, then the new AD will have a clear picture of where the problem lies and how to best solve it.

Bolt works with the infielders, 'coordinates the offensive game' and serves as 3rd base coach.

Seely is the recruiting coordinator and works with the hitters.

So....if RC keeps the duties with Seely the same...the next hire won't exactly do what all you need.
twk
AG
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those descriptions. Bolt runs the offense. That much is correct.
Bunk Moreland
I more or less agree...but if he's hoping recruiting is going to change due to anything with Bolt...likely won't be the case.
Agsncws
AG
TAL06RES said:

BQ_90 said:

Goro Majima said:

Apparently Bolt interviewed with Moos in the last day or so. Appears to be between him and Heller (Iowa HC).
And, if true, pretty much cements that Scottsdale Husker fan was full of **** from the beginning.
greg.w.h
AG
So what we really, really know is speculation is cheap...worth the ephemeral bits it's printed on...
TAL06RES
AG
Agsncws said:

TAL06RES said:

BQ_90 said:

Goro Majima said:

And, if true, pretty much cements that Scottsdale Husker fan was full of **** from the beginning.

He is full of *****
BoozingAg
So it was reported the search was over, now it's reported they just talked to Bolt, but RC is out of the running? I think this thing is still ongoing.

If I'm RC, I'm going to Nebraska where I can get a long term contract and fans will appreciate making Regionals, be at a place he obviously loves, as opposed to likely needing at least a Regional host and Super trip in 2020 just to keep my current job. And if he's out in a year, he won't be getting a better gig than Nebraska, let alone the personal ties he has there.

I still think it makes a lot of sense.

TAL06RES
AG
BoozingAg said:

So it was reported the search was over, now it's reported they just talked to Bolt, but RC is out of the running? I think this thing is still ongoing.

If I'm RC, I'm going to Nebraska where I can get a long term contract and fans will appreciate making Regionals, be at a place he obviously loves, as opposed to likely needing at least a Regional host and Super trip in 2020 just to keep my current job. And if he's out in a year, he won't be getting a better gig than Nebraska, let alone the personal ties he has there.

I still think it makes a lot of sense.

Let's lay money on it. I'll take whatever you want to wager.
BoozingAg
I didn't say it was happening. I said I think it makes a lot of sense. If I'm wagering, with Woodward gone, RC got a soon to be announced one year extension.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.