Nebraska - Appears search is over, candidate not named

25,885 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoozingAg said:

There's no way you can be content with the administration's decision to bring back RC, if he's coaching here next season, if you want to see us playing at home in the post season and getting to Omaha. At this point, that's not really debateable at this point. In fact, if we had not lost Woodward, RC would be gone for sure. I don't see why he should get a pass just because we lost our AD. The Nebraska opening, with how that transition works out, is almost too good to be true, so I think there will be a change.
Nothing is debatable with someone who can't make a cogent argument beyond personal attacks. The old, "If you're not as mad about it as I am, then you don't really care" argument is really weak.

Frankly, I'd be relieved if Childress took the Nebraska job and ended the drama. But, I've watched enough college baseball to know that hiring the right assistants can make a big difference (go look at Augie Garrido's record in Austin before and after hiring Frank Anderson), so there is some hope for a turnaround through that avenue. Even if Childress stands pat (which I think would be a stupid thing for him to do), this staff has produced some good offenses in the past--they might do so next year.

Whatever happens, it's beyond my control, and my anger level, or that of any other fan who doesn't have their name on a building, isn't going to change things.
BoozingAg
Quote:

Nothing is debatable with someone who can't make a cogent argument beyond personal attacks. The old, "If you're not as mad about it as I am, then you don't really care" argument is really weak.

I haven't made any personal attacks. Don't try to earn points with that bs. I also never said anything about the latter either. If you have a point to the contrary, I'm all ears. We've been through a myriad of assistants, all with more or less the same end results.
ColoradoMooseHerd
BoozingAg said:

Look, you're obviously content with RC. You obviously aren't a real competitive person, don't really care that much if we win or lose. To you, Aggie baseball is about all the bits that go along with it, bubbles, chants, posting about baking on game threads, etc. Some of us would like to see us play at a higher level, play post season baseball at Olsen, see us in Omaha and see us win games there.
L.
The Collective
AG
At this point, I assume this whole thing might be waiting on us, otherwise they would have named the Creighton coach already.
Artimus Gordon
So what's the big hold up here? Why can't nebraska make the announcement so we can get the show on the road!
evanpd16
I could be totally wrong and totally optimistic but realistically Childress is probably not going to have the chance to coach at Nebraska ever again in his coaching career. He has to know that we are unhappy with his performance here, and this opportunity to go back to where he loves to coach the same game of baseball seems like too much of an opportunity for him to pass up
HoustonAg2106
AG
evanpd16 said:

I could be totally wrong and totally optimistic but realistically Childress is probably not going to have the chance to coach at Nebraska ever again in his coaching career. He has to know that we are unhappy with his performance here, and this opportunity to go back to where he loves to coach the same game of baseball seems like too much of an opportunity for him to pass up
He would have to take a big pay cut to go to Nebraska and he will most likely find a pretty good job even if he gets fired here next year...
Goat Man
AG
evanpd16 said:

Who are we? Not me for sure. I don't get involved in this discussion often but this blanket statement is bull crap. Just because the TexAgs disciples think RC is doing a poor job does not mean the entire Aggie fan base agrees. Many people don't enter into the discussion because we are not at all interested in arguing about it.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

evanpd16 said:

He would have to take a big pay cut to go to Nebraska
I don't think it would be that large of a pay cut. The coach before Erstad was making ~500k.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

evanpd16 said:

I don't think it would be that large of a pay cut. The coach before Erstad was making ~500k.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/2018-baseball/

$800k is a lot different than $221k
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

evanpd16 said:

Erstad took less because he didn't need it. He would make way closer to 800 than 200 if he took the nebraska job.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

evanpd16 said:

Erstad took less because he didn't need it. He would make way closer to 800 than 200 if he took the nebraska job.

So first you are wrong by more than double on how much Erstad was making and now you're saying that's because he wanted less money?

Gotcha
trouble
AG
Reread what he said. The coach before Erstad made that much.

My understanding is Erstad took less in order to pay assistants more.
powerbelly
AG
Reading is hard for you, isnt it.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Well, he is from Houston.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Yea definitely misread that, still don't think they will pay RC enough to leave
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

So if you are RC, would you rather make 800k for one more year (maybe) then unkown, or secure 650k for the next 5?
ColoradoMooseHerd
He will be able to find a job that pays near the same about in no time if he wanted. No reason to take a pay cut to coach in Nebraska, unless you really want to coach Nebraska.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

So if you are RC, would you rather make 800k for one more year (maybe) then unkown, or secure 650k for the next 5?

RC has two seasons left on his contract and the guy before Erstad made $330k

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/baseball/anderson-fired-as-nebraska-baseball-coach/article_cd054316-b0b0-5ad9-93a8-2444c1f8e181.html

Nebraska isn't spending a half a million on a coach, not even close
LOYAL AG
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

He will be able to find a job that pays near the same about in no time if he wanted. No reason to take a pay cut to coach in Nebraska, unless you really want to coach Nebraska.

Based on what? I'm not bashing him here. I've been clear that I'm ready for a change but I like RC and am appreciative of what he's accomplished. My question isn't about his performance as our HC but rather it's about the fact that he already has a top 10 salary as a college head coach. I don't see another school getting up to this level for him as a head coach and I doubt any college pitching coach makes this much. I think he's got a lot of downside risk to staying here given the temperature of his seat and the fact that what may well be job 1B for him is currently open. I'm genuinely curious as to what you're thinking will come about for him if he stays here for 2020 then gets terminated.
HoustonAg2106
AG
LOYAL AG said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Based on what? I'm not bashing him here. I've been clear that I'm ready for a change but I like RC and am appreciative of what he's accomplished. My question isn't about his performance as our HC but rather it's about the fact that he already has a top 10 salary as a college head coach. I don't see another school getting up to this level for him as a head coach and I doubt any college pitching coach makes this much. I think he's got a lot of downside risk to staying here given the temperature of his seat and the fact that what may well be job 1B for him is currently open. I'm genuinely curious as to what you're thinking will come about for him if he stays here for 2020 then gets terminated.

He definitely won't make close to what he's making here anywhere, but when he's out of a job he'll have no problem making under $500k...but why do that now when if you make a run to Omaha next year you get extended here.

RC is a confident and competitive guy, he's not planning on losing in regionals and getting fired next year (even if that is probably what will happen)
ColoradoMooseHerd
Could be wrong, but I think if Rob was on the market he would be a highly desired coach. While some on here are very critical of his record, other schools that do not have recent success that is similar would probably desire a coach like Childress.

Sometimes schools and coaches need change, but that does not mean that Childress has not done an exceptional job here. Just means things may have gotten stale. He is very well respected in College Baseball and I don't think there would be a question he gets a similar paying job.

Don't know where and don't know who? But that is my gut. Nebraska, as stated already, has not paid anything close to what Childress has made. Current coach made 221K and previous coach made 330K.

So yes, I do think he will get a job much closer to his current pay if he desires.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I think that he'll be a pitching coach on someone else's staff before he is a head coach.
ColoradoMooseHerd
With his record, if he wants to be a head coach he will be a head coach
HoustonAg2106
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

With his record, if he wants to be a head coach he will be a head coach

True, but he won't be a top 10 paid coach anymore
BoozingAg
90% of the teams in college baseball would love to have RC.

The other 10% wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.
Buford T. Justice
AG
He's only a fit at 10%.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

He is very well respected in College Baseball and I don't think there would be a question he gets a similar paying job.

While I can't argue with this directly, I wonder: wouldn't someone who is as well respected as you hint here have multiple job offers in the last 14 years? Has he?
Luke The Drifter
AG
BoozingAg said:

90% of the teams in college baseball would love to have RC.

The other 10% wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.

I think this is accurate if you shifted your percentages to about 97% and 3%.

I don't think you realize just how many D-I college baseball teams there are (299, to be exact), and how many mediocre-to-terrible coaches there are in college baseball.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
technoviking
AG
ontheway
AG
Good
AggieBill005
AG
Status quo.
_mpaul
AG
I better not hear we gave him an extension and/or more money to stay . . .
LOYAL AG
AG
_mpaul said:

Odds are he'll get an extension. To not do so would hurt his ability to recruit. That's how the game is played, we all know this.
HoustonAg2106
AG
LOYAL AG said:

_mpaul said:

Odds are he'll get an extension. To not do so would hurt his ability to recruit. That's how the game is played, we all know this.

He has two years left on his contract...I would agree with you if next was his last year and he was a lame duck coach

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.