*****Aggies vs. Ole MIss-SEC Tournament Thursday*****

100,515 Views | 1114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cy_Tolliver
sharpdressedman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
44mAG said:

If Childress wants to stay in College Station for more than one year, he is going to have to have the hard talk with his buddy Bolt. He HAS to be replaced at the end of the season.
RC can continue to tinker with his coaching staff but, IMO. he needs only to consistently make the ncaa tourney to keep his job. He is a very good coach and well-respected, but his body of work has indicated he is unable to take the program to the next step up on the national stage.

Our AD culture has long been to embrace coaches who are a dollar short on performance but have a pocket full of small change. Woodward appeared to be heading in the right direction, but he was an ephemeral delight.

I expect to see RC looking like Wayne Graham in maroon and white when he retires, but without comparable national accomplishments.
Kozmozag
Childress should no better, dont mess with the baseball gods. Game was over when he pulled Dox.
old yeller
AG
Average Joe said:

old yeller said:

Average Joe said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Oh well at least Dox is available for a regional.
Isn't that what's important? Even IF Dox is there and somehow shuts them out, we're going to the 10th now. Would you want him to come out for the 10th? Let it go, dude.

Why even show up for the tourney then? Are you there not to win it? Stupid analogy. You don't pull a kid with a no hitter going to the 9th....period.

There's a great idea. Injure your ace pitcher right before a) the postseason and b) he gets drafted.

You'd make a helluva coach
Why even put him out there, then? He has thrown over 100 pitches almost every single game. Him throwing another 10 pitches is not going to injure him.

He could have pitched 27 no hit innings but he would still have to answer the bell in the 28th. At what point do you save his arm for the NCAA tournament?
He wasn't even up to his average pitch count. He pitches more than this THE ENTIRE SEASON. And he will still have an extra day of rest before the regionals start.

By your logic, why pull him in the 8th? Why not pull him in the 6th? Why even throw him at all? 15 days of rest is obviously better than 8 days of rest.
Wasn't trying to argue with you. Just seemed that with as pitiful as our hitting is we weren't likely to win it in 9, or 10 or 15 innings. Letting Dox try to get the 9 inning no hitter would have been perfectly fine with me and I agree with your point.
mwm
Fully understand. The guy at the top (and who makes the most money) is ultimately responsible but I doubt Childress has much to say to position players about hitting mechanics & the mental approach in the batter's box.

Again, I am not a Childress apologist. It may very well be time for a complete change. I'm not smart enough to make that decision.
PacifistAg
AG
Mooooon River said:

evanpd16 said:

marleyrox said:

They don't deserve to host

Yes we do.

Winning one game in the SEC tourney... no.
Looking at the latest projection from d1baseball, here are the teams we're competing against for a host spot.

Current projected hosts (locks in bold):

East Carolina (RPI: 5; SOS: 24)
Okie St (RPI: 7; SOS: 2)
Oregon St (RPI: 11; SOS: 20)
Stanford (RPI: 16; SOS: 91)
NC State (RPI: 20; SOS: 52)
A&M (RPI: 15; SOS: 6)
Miami (RPI: 18; SOS: 27)
UCSB (RPI: 12; SOS: 181)

The current #2 seeds in each of these sites (possible host sites in bold):
Tennessee (RPI: 13; SOS: 7)
Nebraska (RPI: 35; SOS: 45)
Ole Miss (RPI: 29; SOS: 19)
UNC (RPI: 19; SOS: 38)
WVU (RPI: 14; SOS: 28)
Baylor (RPI: 23; SOS: 47)
FAU (RPI: 38; SOS: 77)
LSU (RPI: 21; SOS: 5)

So, we're looking at competing for 4 spots among NC St, A&M, Miami, USCB, Tenn, UNC, WVU, and LSU. I certainly see LSU hosting, especially if they win today. Even if they lose, I expect they'll take the UCSB spot. UCSB's RPI is about to take a hit with their final series vs Cal Poly (RPI: 150). So, that leaves 3 spots among:

NC State (RPI: 20; SOS: 52)
A&M (RPI: 15; SOS: 6)
Miami (RPI: 18; SOS: 27)
UNC (RPI: 19; SOS: 38)
WVU (RPI: 14; SOS: 28)
Tennessee (RPI: 13; SOS: 7)

For some reason, I've not heard Tenn or WVU being viewed as hosting contenders. Tenn surprises me given they numbers look good, but there were the #9 seed in the SEC, so it'll be hard to give that to them over 6-seed A&M. I think of that group of 6, A&M, Miami and either of the North Carolina schools will get the remaining 3 spots. It'll be interesting to see how UCSB is handled, but even if UCSB ends up with a host spot, I think the odd man out would be one of the Carolina schools.

All that is to really say that not only do I think we are deserving, in part due to the weak hosting bubble, but I am confident that we do end up hosting. Much will depend on what some of these schools do in their tourneys.
Muy
AG
BillE1976 said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

Some of the worst managing I have ever seen. RC didn't manage the game to win it. Pulling Dox is unforgivable!
Anyone thinks that pulling him was unforgivable needs to consider do we go out to win this game and lose him for the regionals or even worse cost him a pro career. No one here knows if Dox told him that he was done or not.

Look, most of us called it a bad move when it happened, and also recognized that it could have been Dox telling coach his arm was done. I pray that - with a no hitter and 99 pitches - that NO pitcher would ever say "I need to come out because of my pro career".
Doubt it was Dox, we have enough history of Childress to know he decided to outsmart the situation.
PacifistAg
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
Not sure how anyone can defend Childress.

1. Hitting continues to be a joke when it counts under him, regardless of hitting coach / OC.

2. I've lost track how many times he has pulled pitchers having a great game the moment someone gets on base late, only to have the pen come in and give up a run. Trust your horse that got you here, especially then they're carrying a no-no late.
Muy
AG
If this little stunt cost A&M from hosting a regional and we don't get out of a regional, Childress wrote his own resignation.
Bucketrunner
That was a disgusting display of batting
Mr.Ackar07
I'd imagine the regional rotation will be Lacy, Doxakis, Roa, Weber*

*If needed
fieldtrailer
AG
We had to play 2 of the best 4 teams in conference. No way were going much past this. We are where we always are with RC, one of the top 64 teams. We might or might not win a regional. Just like always.

How Sumlin getting us to a bowl game every year was not close to good enough but this is?
AvidAggie
AG
fieldtrailer said:

We had to play 2 of the best 4 teams in conference. No way were going much past this. We are where we always are with RC, one of the top 64 teams. We might or might not win a regional. Just like always.

How Sumlin getting us to a bowl game every year was not close to good enough but this is?

And baseball is a "regional" sport unlike football
fieldtrailer
AG
Muy said:

If this little stunt cost A&M from hosting a regional and we don't get out of a regional, Childress wrote his own resignation.
I wouldn't call it a stunt. We aren't trying to be bad, we just are not a complete team, like usual.
old yeller
AG
Muy said:

Sadly, with an interim AD, I doubt RC is in any danger of losing his job.
TexasRebel
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

You do if you want to pitch him in the regionals.
The regionals don't start for another week. If he pitched 120 pitches he would still get an extra days rest.

In what scenario would we lose Dox 8 days from now if he threw the same number of pitches he does on average?

Did a lot of good for Adam Wood, huh?

Austin Wood, but yeah.
You mean the guy that threw 240 or whatever pitches? You're comparing that to throwing less than half that?

It was 170 after throwing 30 the day before. All I did was correct the guy who mentioned him. Hth
Which makes his point all the more ridiculous

my point? That all the extra days of rest won't help?
Ag 11
AG
Pitchers getting let down again by the bats. I feel bad for these guys that have been throwing lights out with nothing to show for it
Aggies2009
AG
AvidAggie said:

fieldtrailer said:

And baseball is a "regional" sport unlike football
And has 300 teams competing. And scholarships restrictions. And players who get drafted who don't make it on campus. Also, a bowl game can be reached by going 5-7 or 6-6. Not exactly equivalent of making a regional. Over half of FBS teams make a bowl game. Only a 5th or so make a regional.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the overarching point (I've never been one to say, "Making postseason is enough"), but comparing football and baseball are very different.
Aggies2009
AG
Ag 11 said:

Pitchers getting let down again by the bats. I feel bad for these guys that have been throwing lights out with nothing to show for it
Maybe not in the W/L column (which is pretty useless when judging pitchers), but Dox and Lacy are definitely making themselves money this season.
75AG
AG
Yep. RC will not RC, nor anyone else. He's there to keep the coaches happy, and BMA in the fold.
cheeky
AG
sharpdressedman said:

RC can continue to tinker with his coaching staff but, IMO. he needs only to consistently make the ncaa tourney to keep his job. He is a very good coach and well-respected, but his body of work has indicated he is unable to take the program to the next step up on the national stage.

Our AD culture has long been to embrace coaches who are a dollar short on performance but have a pocket full of small change. Woodward appeared to be heading in the right direction, but he was an ephemeral delight.

I expect to see RC looking like Wayne Graham in maroon and white when he retires, but without comparable national accomplishments.

After recently speaking with a 12th Man Foundation Trustee who would know, I was pleased to hear that the board generally shares the widely held belief of program supporters that RC has taken the program as far as he is capable. Since this is the group responsible for getting the big dollars to make big hires possible, I would think that their opinion carries a good deal of weight with the AD. RC has survived due to greater needs in addressing the football program, and more recently men's basketball. He has done just enough to not get fired for years, but it's a recurring topic of conversation. Sadly, it will not be this year as Slocum will not take on hire/fire duties in advance of the new AD. Slocum will not be AD. So the next guy will evaluate Childress in 2020 and, absent a remarkable and somewhat unexpected improvement in the program, make it his last in Aggieland.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Childress knows his days are numbered. Will he clean house? If we wants to improve the offense, Bolt has to go. Seely may be more safe due to his prowess at recruiting, but he can't be the hitting instructor moving forward if you want better results. My realistic desire is that Bolt is fired, and then it will be up to the new offensive coach on whether to retain Seely or insist on his own guy(s). But bringing in a top offensive coach may be a hard sell given the tenuous nature concerning Childress' future. And I don't see this as a HCIW scenario. Given that, my guess is we have the same staff back next year for one last round of "do or die."
Bunk Moreland
old yeller said:

Muy said:

Sadly, with an interim AD, I doubt RC is in any danger of losing his job.

Yep. Woodward leaving opened the door for Jo & RC to probably get at least 2 more years each with the new AD. Unreal.

Oh, and watch Woodward & LSU steal the host bid from RC and A&M. Monday is going to be a disappointment I do believe.
SchizoAg
AG
I'm pretty sure RC is going to have to miss the postseason at least one year to ever get fired. Sorry to disappoint.

Can you imagine the loud and sustained ridicule we would receive from sports commentators if we fired a guy on a 14-year streak, by far the best period in our program's history?
PacifistAg
AG
fieldtrailer said:

This is RC's 14th season with A&M. He's made it to the Super Regionals 6 times and 2 CWS in his first 13 seasons. Mark Johnson took A&M to 2 CWS in 21 seasons. Tom Chandler took A&M to 2 CWS in 26 seasons. He's arguably had more postseason success than any Aggie baseball coach in history.

Should RC be fired or forced out? Of course not. This offseason should see a change in hitting coach, though. We've been throwing cash around like it's Monopoly money lately, so go out and throw some money around at an elite hitting coach.
histag10
AG
SchizoAg said:

I'm pretty sure RC is going to have to miss the postseason at least one year to ever get fired. Sorry to disappoint.

or be a 3 or 4 seed for a few consecutive years
Aggies2009
AG
PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

This is RC's 13th season with A&M. He's made it to the Super Regionals 6 times and 2 CWS. Mark Johnson took A&M to 2 CWS in 21 seasons. Tom Chandler took A&M to 2 CWS in 26 seasons. He's arguably had more postseason success than any Aggie baseball coach in history.

Should RC be fired or forced out? Of course not. This offseason should see a change in hitting coach, though. We've been throwing cash around like it's Monopoly money lately, so go out and throw some money around at an elite hitting coach.
To be fair, Billy Kennedy had a better postseason resume than any other Aggie basketball coach and got fired a year removed from a Sweet 16 appearance.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggies2009 said:

PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

This is RC's 13th season with A&M. He's made it to the Super Regionals 6 times and 2 CWS. Mark Johnson took A&M to 2 CWS in 21 seasons. Tom Chandler took A&M to 2 CWS in 26 seasons. He's arguably had more postseason success than any Aggie baseball coach in history.

To be fair, Billy Kennedy had a better postseason resume than any other Aggie basketball coach and got fired a year removed from a Sweet 16 appearance.
Yes, coming off a season that we were 14-18. He also had 6 out of 8 seasons with a .500 or below conference record. Kennedy also came into a program that had been to the NCAA's 6 straight seasons, but he only made it twice (albeit reaching the Sweet 16 both times).

If RC goes out next year and we post a losing record, I'm confident he'll be replaced. But it ain't happening this offseason. Nor should it. We're in the top 15 and likely regional host. That doesn't warrant termination.
Aggies2009
AG
PacifistAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

Yes, coming off a season that we were 14-18. He also had 6 out of 8 seasons with a .500 or below conference record. Kennedy also came into a program that had been to the NCAA's 6 straight seasons, but he only made it twice (albeit reaching the Sweet 16 both times).
Right. That raises similar questions about baseball... Some people say, "It's not really an accomplishment to make the postseason every year" when Childress does it. And in 08, 15, and 16, people said, "Regular season doesn't matter- we flamed out in the postseason". Those are fair opinions... Would they apply to Kennedy? Cause when he DID make the postseason, he took us as far as we've ever been as a program twice...

Would people rather have a win or 2 in Omaha but a season or two of not making the postseason? That was kinda Kennedy. After his initial tough years he went to the Sweet 16 in 2 of 3 seasons and won the SEC in one of those. But he also had some bad years with no postseason at all. We hear a lot that a change needs to be made because RC has "done all he can" and "making the postseason isn't enough". Again, fair opinions. But a new coach could go the route of Kennedy. Suddenly our streak of postseason appearances is gone. But he could also win a game in Omaha.

No real point or disagreement from me, just rambling and throwing out info
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Right. That raises similar questions about baseball... Some people say, "It's not really an accomplishment to make the postseason every year" when Childress does it. And in 08, 15, and 16, people said, "Regular season doesn't matter- we flamed out in the postseason". Those are fair opinions... Would they apply to Kennedy? Cause when he DID make the postseason, he took us as far as we've ever been as a program twice...

Would people rather have a win or 2 in Omaha but a season or two of not making the postseason? That was kinda Kennedy. After his initial tough years he went to the Sweet 16 in 2 of 3 seasons and won the SEC in one of those. But he also had some bad years with no postseason at all.
I'd personally take a run in Omaha at the expense of a year with no tournament. But that's my personal opinion. You'll never find agreement.

I don't like comparisons to Billy Kennedy and/or the basketball program, for a bunch of reasons. Including that its a lot easier to win at Texas A&M in baseball than it is at Texas A&M in basketball.

While that doesn't mean we should take a NCAA baseball tournament appearance for granted (see our previous coach), I just don't think its debatable that we've got a lot of advantages in baseball that we don't have in basketball.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggies2009 said:

PacifistAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

Would people rather have a win or 2 in Omaha but a season or two of not making the postseason? That was kinda Kennedy. After his initial tough years he went to the Sweet 16 in 2 of 3 seasons and won the SEC in one of those. But he also had some bad years with no postseason at all. We hear a lot that a change needs to be made because RC has "done all he can" and "making the postseason isn't enough". Again, fair opinions. But a new coach could go the route of Kennedy. Suddenly our streak of postseason appearances is gone. But he could also win a game in Omaha.

No real point or disagreement from me, just rambling and throwing out info
Except Kennedy came into a program that was making the tournament every year, and he regressed. RC came into a program that had missed the regionals in 4 of the previous 6 seasons.

If I'm not mistaken, if FSU misses the regionals this year, A&M will hold the longest active streak of making it. It is an accomplishment to make it, especially 13 years in a row, considering no other team outside of FSU has a longer streak. RC hasn't had any "bad" years, aside from the very first season he was here. Since then, he's made the regionals every year, including making it to 6 Supers and 2 CWS.

Obviously just making the regionals isn't the goal, but it's an accomplishment along the way.
twk
AG
Second longest streak--one behind Vandy--if FSU doesn't make it (Cal State Fullerton has a long streak, but they've already been eliminated).
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

he's made the regionals every year, including 6 Supers and 2 CWS.
Just on a side note, this is a weird way to put that. You're wording that in really favorable way.
PacifistAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

he's made the regionals every year, including 6 Supers and 2 CWS.
Just on a side note, this is a weird way to put that. You're wording that in really favorable way.
My bad. I see what you're saying. 4 Supers and 2 CWS (which would obviously include making the Super Regionals). Thanks for the catch.
TXAggie2011
Beau Holder
AG
Why do people always fall back on "we have baseball resources" as if several programs in our region, the ones we recruit and compete against to varying extents, don't also have the same resources AND better history? Why is it "easier" to win in baseball than basketball when the SEC is far more of a meat grinder in baseball?

Makes no sense to me.

And this is not a defense of Childress. I have rarely disliked watching an Aggie baseball team in my fan lifetime as much as this one and I'm at a level of frustration that makes me indifferent on the subject. Just don't get why everyone thinks we're LSU. We had been to four CWS in our entire history prior to the 2010s and we are a school where people are so unfathomably and (imo) foolishly obsessed with football that they were prepared to let the football coach hire the AD in his second year on campus. We are not a "baseball school."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.