*****Aggies vs. Ole MIss-SEC Tournament Thursday*****

100,532 Views | 1114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cy_Tolliver
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is truly pathetic we can't score one freaking run between 2 games. I don't care how good the opposing pitching may or may not be; not even ONE run? It's absolutely ridiculous. There is no excuse for this.
FTAG 2000
AG
PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

We had to play 2 of the best 4 teams in conference. No way were going much past this. We are where we always are with RC, one of the top 64 teams. We might or might not win a regional. Just like always.

How Sumlin getting us to a bowl game every year was not close to good enough but this is?
This is RC's 14th season with A&M. He's made it to the Super Regionals 6 times and 2 CWS in his first 13 seasons. Mark Johnson took A&M to 2 CWS in 21 seasons. Tom Chandler took A&M to 2 CWS in 26 seasons. He's arguably had more postseason success than any Aggie baseball coach in history.

And how many College World Series wins does he have? Comparing him to other past coaches at our program who didn't win jack isn't exactly a good bar to go by.

This university has the resources to do better. And its fans deserve better.
Beau Holder
AG
AG 2000' said:

PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

We had to play 2 of the best 4 teams in conference. No way were going much past this. We are where we always are with RC, one of the top 64 teams. We might or might not win a regional. Just like always.

How Sumlin getting us to a bowl game every year was not close to good enough but this is?
This is RC's 14th season with A&M. He's made it to the Super Regionals 6 times and 2 CWS in his first 13 seasons. Mark Johnson took A&M to 2 CWS in 21 seasons. Tom Chandler took A&M to 2 CWS in 26 seasons. He's arguably had more postseason success than any Aggie baseball coach in history.

And how many College World Series wins does he have? Comparing him to other past coaches at our program who didn't win jack isn't exactly a good bar to go by.

Like this. What are the resources? Money we pour into football coaches and facilities, and then basketball coaches? A nice stadium, which Rice and LSU and TCU and Tech also have? Fertile recruiting grounds, which we share with all of the above along with Baylor, Texas, and others, along with the constant risk of someone going MLB if they're "too" good? Is it that our fans just show up and yell really loud, like LSU and State's do in larger numbers? What is it?

I'm not being combative, I really would like someone to explain it to me. What do we have in such quantity that we are OWED the same results as Texas and LSU?

If the gap is because we need a better coach, I am all for that argument at this point. I just fail to see how it's because we are wasting some El Dorado of unique baseball standing.
powerbelly
AG
What do we lack that LSU and especially tu have other than history?
old yeller
AG
powerbelly said:

A bunch of national championships. You think history doesn't matter?
powerbelly
AG
old yeller said:

powerbelly said:

I think it matters less and less as the coaches that won are not around and the championships are when the recruits were in elementary school.

PacifistAg
AG
AG 2000' said:

PacifistAg said:

fieldtrailer said:

My point was simply that he is our most successful postseason coach in our history. That doesn't take away from our inability to actually win in Omaha, but just pointing out that the program has improved, and is more consistent, under RC than his predecessors.

But, getting to Omaha is like getting to the Final Four. It is an accomplishment, in and of itself. In 2017, though, we overachieved to get there, and once there, were overmatched against 2 national seeds. 2011 is the one that stung, although not quite as much as some of the Super losses to TCU. We were really good in 2011, but that field was stacked with five 50-win clubs.

Winning in Omaha isn't easy. Just ask Mike Martin at FSU. They have made 16 CWS appearances in his tenure. They've never won fewer than 40 games in a season. Yet, they have no titles to show for it.
SchizoAg
AG
All of the people who want to fire Childress because "we can do better" are taking it for granted that the next coach would be better and not worse. That's the part I'm very skeptical about. It seems far more likely that we'd end up with another Mark Johnson. Great guy; similar CWS performance to Rob; far more "down" years. I'm not even sure there is any coach who would have *guaranteed* success here. Certainly not Corbin or Schlossnagle, for example. Corbin enjoys his cushy recruiting situation, and Schloss has proven himself mortal.

powerbelly
AG
I am willing to take the risk of a worse coach for the chance at better. Especially since we have seen what childress is for more than a decade
SchizoAg
AG
I'm not.

To me, the first goal should be getting the most chances (i.e. postseason appearances, preferably hosting) at a CWS run. Then we are bound to get hot and lucky one year, and that's what it takes to win in the college baseball playoffs under the current setup.
powerbelly
AG
Childress is not good at getting the best chances. We have been a top 8 seed once during his tenure.
FTAG 2000
AG
SchizoAg said:

All of the people who want to fire Childress because "we can do better" are taking it for granted that the next coach would be better and not worse. That's the part I'm very skeptical about. It seems far more likely that we'd end up with another Mark Johnson. Great guy; similar CWS performance to Rob; far more "down" years. I'm not even sure there is any coach who would have *guaranteed* success here. Certainly not Corbin or Schlossnagle, for example. Corbin enjoys his cushy recruiting situation, and Schloss has proven himself mortal.

All of the people who think we can't do better are equally taking it for granted that we could do better.

Thirteen years with no top end success to show for it?

What a loser mentality to accept that we should just be happy to have someone like Childress around.
powerbelly
AG
Aggies have thought that way in the big 3 sports until Woodward arrived. We are just happy be be good
sharpdressedman
Stagecoach said:

sharpdressedman said:

RC can continue to tinker with his coaching staff but, IMO. he needs only to consistently make the ncaa tourney to keep his job. He is a very good coach and well-respected, but his body of work has indicated he is unable to take the program to the next step up on the national stage.

Our AD culture has long been to embrace coaches who are a dollar short on performance but have a pocket full of small change. Woodward appeared to be heading in the right direction, but he was an ephemeral delight.

I expect to see RC looking like Wayne Graham in maroon and white when he retires, but without comparable national accomplishments.

After recently speaking with a 12th Man Foundation Trustee who would know, I was pleased to hear that the board generally shares the widely held belief of program supporters that RC has taken the program as far as he is capable. Since this is the group responsible for getting the big dollars to make big hires possible, I would think that their opinion carries a good deal of weight with the AD. RC has survived due to greater needs in addressing the football program, and more recently men's basketball. He has done just enough to not get fired for years, but it's a recurring topic of conversation. Sadly, it will not be this year as Slocum will not take on hire/fire duties in advance of the new AD. Slocum will not be AD. So the next guy will evaluate Childress in 2020 and, absent a remarkable and somewhat unexpected improvement in the program, make it his last in Aggieland.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Childress knows his days are numbered. Will he clean house? If we wants to improve the offense, Bolt has to go. Seely may be more safe due to his prowess at recruiting, but he can't be the hitting instructor moving forward if you want better results. My realistic desire is that Bolt is fired, and then it will be up to the new offensive coach on whether to retain Seely or insist on his own guy(s). But bringing in a top offensive coach may be a hard sell given the tenuous nature concerning Childress' future. And I don't see this as a HCIW scenario. Given that, my guess is we have the same staff back next year for one last round of "do or die."
Thanks for sharing. Insight from a legitimate source always adds value to the conversation.
tjack16
AG
powerbelly said:

old yeller said:

powerbelly said:

I think it matters less and less as the coaches that won are not around and the championships are when the recruits were in elementary school.

Paul Mainieri is still around and he's won a title at LSU
drthoop
AG
Simply making the post-season should be our norm not cause for celebration.
Hosting a Regional should happen 80-90% of the time and a Super every two to three years.
We need to make a CWS more than every 7 years on average. Just the way I see it. And we damn sure need to win at least 1 game in Omaha.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
PacifistAg
AG
AG 2000' said:

SchizoAg said:

All of the people who think we can't do better are equally taking it for granted that we could do better.

What a loser mentality to accept that we should just be happy to have someone like Childress around.
FSU has 40 years with Mike Martin, but no titles to show for it. It's not a loser mentality, but thinking that he gave them the best chance of winning. Plus, he never did anything to warrant termination. If Childress misses the postseason, then you can have that discussion. Are changes needed? Of course. The hitting is horrible. But you can't justify firing a coach when he likely gets another regional host bid and is in the top-15 in a season that we started unranked.
powerbelly
AG
And it is coming up on a decade since he won. Current recruits were 6-8 years old. That was the elementary school part of my statement
drthoop
AG
PacifistAg said:

AG 2000' said:

SchizoAg said:

FSU has 40 years with Mike Martin, but no titles to show for it. It's not a loser mentality, but thinking that he gave them the best chance of winning. Plus, he never did anything to warrant termination. If Childress misses the postseason, then you can have that discussion. Are changes needed? Of course. The hitting is horrible. But you can't justify firing a coach when he likely gets another regional host bid and is in the top-15 in a season that we started unranked.
You can also argue that he is the reason we started the season unranked too.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Hosting a Regional should happen 80-90% of the time and a Super every two to three years.
What programs, over the last 14 seasons, have reached those standards?
tjack16
AG
powerbelly said:

And it is coming up on a decade since he won. Current recruits were 6-8 years old. That was the elementary school part of my statement
that's one more than we've won in our entire history. LSU is known as maybe the best baseball program in NCAA history based on past and recent success.
tjack16
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Florida, LSU, FSU and Cal State Fullerton just to name a few off the top of my head
powerbelly
AG
I get it, but if that is too much to overcome then lets just shut it down. LSU didnt win one until 1991. USC has won the most national titles. Things change.
Mikeyshooter
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Just guessing here: TCU, Oregon State, Texas Tech, LSU, Mississippi State, Florida, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, UNC, and Louisville. I'm sure I'm missing a handful but there's no reason why A&M can't be in this group.
PacifistAg
AG
drthoop said:

PacifistAg said:

AG 2000' said:

SchizoAg said:

You can also argue that he is the reason we started the season unranked too.
That doesn't make sense. Preseason ranking is all about expectations, which is influenced by players lost and recruits that never show up on campus. We exceeded those expectations though, which is a credit to RC and the team.
Wicked Good Ag
Mikeyshooter said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Just guessing here: TCU, Oregon State, Texas Tech, LSU, Mississippi State, Florida, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, UNC, and Louisville. I'm sure I'm missing a handful but there's no reason why A&M can't be in this group.

Two of those teams might not make the tourney this year. And TCU also didn't make it last year at all. If you are talking 14 years no way Tech is in that discussion either.
honestly I think only LSU and Miss State Vandy Florida and Oregon State fit the bill of what you are looking at and four of those are in the same conference as us
Texas Tech coming into that category and Louisville in the brink
Aggies2009
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Mikeyshooter said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Two of those teams might not make the tourney this year. And TCU also didn't make it last year at all. If you are talking 14 years no way Tech is in that discussion either.
honestly I think only LSU and Miss State Vandy Florida and Oregon State fit the bill of what you are looking at and four of those are in the same conference as us
Texas Tech coming into that category and Louisville in the brink

Goes back to my question from earlier....

If given the options, would people rather have a coach that consistently gets us into the post season with a semi-deep run every few years? Or would you rather have a coach who may miss the postseason every few years, but wins a game or two in Omaha?
Muy
AG
The issue in basketball wasn't the success of 2 Sweet 16's, but actually the trend of the program and who he achieved that success with. Those kids bolted, he had nothing to backfill them, and when you watched those teams it wasn't because he was building a system for success, they just caught lightning in a bottle.
PacifistAg
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Well, I believe only FSU and Vandy have reached the postseason as much as A&M in that stretch.

Regional hosts:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (8)
MSU (2)
Florida (9)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (4)
A&M (6)

Super Regionals:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (7)
MSU (6)
Florida (8)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (6)
A&M (6)

This was from a review of the respective wikipedia pages. Couldn't find the information for Oregon St or UNC. So, I'm not sure why there are calls to fire RC when we have been "in this group".
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

but wins a game or two in Omaha?
What does winning "a game or two" in Omaha matter, if the standard is to win the entire thing? Nobody outside of a respective fanbase remembers who goes 0-2 in Omaha vs 1-2 or 2-2.
Mr.Ackar07
PacifistAg said:

Mikeyshooter said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Well, I believe only FSU and Vandy have reached the postseason as much as A&M in that stretch.

Regional hosts:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (8)
MSU (2)
Florida (9)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (4)
A&M (6)

Super Regionals:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (7)
MSU (6)
Florida (8)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (6)
A&M (6)

This was from a review of the respective wikipedia pages. Couldn't find the information for Oregon St or UNC. So, I'm not sure why there are calls to fire RC when we have been "in this group".
No program has hosted a regional 80-90% of the time over that long of a period. They may have made the tournament 80-90% of the time, but never hosted like the original expectation was noted.
powerbelly
AG
It doesn't IMO. The bigger factor should be how many times you are a national seed and put yourself in the best position to get to Omaha.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

Nobody outside of a respective fanbase AND THEIR RIVALS remembers who goes 0-2 in Omaha vs 1-2 or 2-2.
FIFY
PacifistAg
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

PacifistAg said:

Mikeyshooter said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Regional hosts:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (8)
MSU (2)
Florida (9)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (4)
A&M (6)

Super Regionals:
TCU (7)
Oregon St
Texas Tech (3)
LSU (7)
MSU (6)
Florida (8)
Vandy (6)
Arkansas (5)
UNC
Louisville (6)
A&M (6)

No program has hosted a regional 80-90% of the time over that long of a period. They may have made the tournament 80-90% of the time, but never hosted like the original expectation was noted.
Oh I agree. It is an unrealistic standard that even the bluest of blood programs don't meet. This is my whole problem with the 'fire RC' calls. It's typically based on unrealistic expectations or being completely oblivious as to just how strong the program has been since RC got here when compared to other programs. Plus, of the 10 teams given as the "standard", only 4 have actually won titles during the RC era. It ain't easy to do, even with sustained deep runs in the postseason. Just look at FSU. They have 22 CWS appearances, and have yet to win it all. Clemson, UNC, Mississippi St, and Northern Colorado (that surprised the heck out of me) have double digit appearances without winning it all.
Mr.Ackar07
Northern Colorado has that many appearances because, way back then, the committee chose schools to represent each district of the country in the CWS. That is also why Yale has had a few appearances when George Bush attended.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.