*****Aggies vs. Ole MIss-SEC Tournament Thursday*****

100,548 Views | 1114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cy_Tolliver
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fieldtrailer said:

96ags said:

AgsinGA said:

Obvious statement. Time to practice hitting for a week.

Disappointing to see with such great pitching.
I don't think the problem is as much swing mechanics as it is mental approach. This team simply doesn't do the little things right to have good, productive at bats.

Good news is that is easily fixable. Bad news, they have been doing all year.
Easily fixable? OK.
Compared to fixing mechanics, yes it is easily fixable.
Aggies2009
AG
Bondag said:

threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Oh well at least Dox is available for a regional.
Isn't that what's important? Even IF Dox is there and somehow shuts them out, we're going to the 10th now. Would you want him to come out for the 10th? Let it go, dude.

Why even show up for the tourney then? Are you there not to win it? Stupid analogy. You don't pull a kid with a no hitter going to the 9th....period.
I mean, that's quite a jump you're making from "save a pitcher who's approaching 100 pitches" to "Just forfeit the games". Nobody said to forfeit the games or anything close.

a) You don't know if Dox was tired, hurt, etc. Coach was talking to him actively in the dugout. You weren't.

b) Pitchers have been pulled when they have no-hitters before, especially in tie games. If we were up 3-0, I'd have felt different.

c) You'd expect your offense to score a run and your bullpen to get you 1 inning. I agree taking out Miller was a huge mistake. Not Dox though.
Do you have an example of a starting pitcher being pulled after throwing 8 innings of no hit ball? Don't use the Astros no hitter where they threw five guys.
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/116330/ross-stripling-almost-joined-bumpus-jones-in-mlb-history

Was about to bring this up. Thanks.
sellthefarm
AG
Mooooon River said:

evanpd16 said:

Mooooon River said:

evanpd16 said:

marleyrox said:

They don't deserve to host

Yes we do.

Winning one game in the SEC tourney... no.

Winning series against Vandy and Arky... yes

Losing series to lsu, being swept by Ole Miss, and losing series to Miss State... No.
Also add in there the losing series at the SEC tourney. I don't know how much the committee looks at tourney's but we just went 1-2 at ours.
Beau Holder
AG
Wabs said:

Personally I think we get a 2 seed.

I certainly would rather 1-2 our way, scoring four runs total, out of a road regional than a home one.

But I hope we get a home one nonetheless on the small chance we show up capable of contacting a ball with a bat.
Kszot
someone should get Dox a shoulder rub and a stiff shot
Mr.Ackar07
threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Isn't that what's important? Even IF Dox is there and somehow shuts them out, we're going to the 10th now. Would you want him to come out for the 10th? Let it go, dude.

Why even show up for the tourney then? Are you there not to win it? Stupid analogy. You don't pull a kid with a no hitter going to the 9th....period.
I mean, that's quite a jump you're making from "save a pitcher who's approaching 100 pitches" to "Just forfeit the games". Nobody said to forfeit the games or anything close.

a) You don't know if Dox was tired, hurt, etc. Coach was talking to him actively in the dugout. You weren't.

b) Pitchers have been pulled when they have no-hitters before, especially in tie games. If we were up 3-0, I'd have felt different.

c) You'd expect your offense to score a run and your bullpen to get you 1 inning. I agree taking out Miller was a huge mistake. Not Dox though.
Do you have an example of a starting pitcher being pulled after throwing 8 innings of no hit ball? Don't use the Astros no hitter where they threw five guys.
Ross Stripling's MLB debut after 7.1 no-hit innings
Average Joe
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

There's a great idea. Injure your ace pitcher right before a) the postseason and b) he gets drafted.

You'd make a helluva coach
Why even put him out there, then? He has thrown over 100 pitches almost every single game. Him throwing another 10 pitches is not going to injure him.

TexasAggie81
It's pretty simple. You watch games where our guys look at strikes and swing it balls. As a result, they get behind the count consistently. They are not seeing the ball well. Why? One cannot see that which you do not look at. This is a concept that is taught coaches to T-ball ballers. The bat sits on their shoulders as if it's glued there. The bat is your weapon, gentlemen. Besides your brain and your body, your PAT is the only other weapon you have. watch the ball, swing at strikes and take balls, and hit.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Again the bullpen fails... hitting too
MaroonStain
AG
Well the boo-birds are out but not many of them.

REGIONAL TIME!!!!
old yeller
AG
Average Joe said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

There's a great idea. Injure your ace pitcher right before a) the postseason and b) he gets drafted.

Why even put him out there, then? He has thrown over 100 pitches almost every single game. Him throwing another 10 pitches is not going to injure him.

He could have pitched 27 no hit innings but he would still have to answer the bell in the 28th. At what point do you save his arm for the NCAA tournament?
AggieHammer2000
AG
Its not like he was at 120 pitches. The dude isn't made of glass. Why not see if he can pitch one more inning, or one more batter? If nothing else, he earned the right to at least start the 9th. That is a gutless manager.

Its not like he is a running back. Why bother showing up if you aren't going to do everything you can to win?
threeanout
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

That's 7 1/3....was asking "after throwing 8 innings of no hit ball".
BoozingAg
I'd have probably let Dox go 9, but that's it. No issue with him being pulled there though. Without him, this team would be trash.
hunter2012
AG
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

The bullpen is not at fault for a 1-0 loss. I pity the day that we fire Childress and our pitching goes back to normal ERAs.
TexasRebel
AG
Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

You do if you want to pitch him in the regionals.
The regionals don't start for another week. If he pitched 120 pitches he would still get an extra days rest.

In what scenario would we lose Dox 8 days from now if he threw the same number of pitches he does on average?

Did a lot of good for Adam Wood, huh?
BoozingAg
If this was a post season game, you leave him in. But it isn't so you don't.
Aggies2009
AG
TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

The regionals don't start for another week. If he pitched 120 pitches he would still get an extra days rest.

In what scenario would we lose Dox 8 days from now if he threw the same number of pitches he does on average?

Austin Wood, but yeah.
Aggies2009
AG
threeanout said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Pedro with a perfect game after 9 lol
BoozingAg
hunter2012 said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

The bullpen is not at fault for a 1-0 loss. I pity the day that we fire Childress and our pitching goes back to normal ERAs.
Ok well if we can make those kind of assumptions, I'll be glad we will have at least an average lineup
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

Austin Wood, but yeah.
You mean the guy that threw 240 or whatever pitches? You're comparing that to throwing less than half that?
Average Joe
AG
old yeller said:

Average Joe said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

He could have pitched 27 no hit innings but he would still have to answer the bell in the 28th. At what point do you save his arm for the NCAA tournament?
He wasn't even up to his average pitch count. He pitches more than this THE ENTIRE SEASON. And he will still have an extra day of rest before the regionals start.

By your logic, why pull him in the 8th? Why not pull him in the 6th? Why even throw him at all? 15 days of rest is obviously better than 8 days of rest.
Mr.Ackar07
threeanout said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Well excuse me then; I didn't realize you were looking for specifically 8.0 innings pitched.
Aggies2009
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

Austin Wood, but yeah.
You mean the guy that threw 240 or whatever pitches? You're comparing that to throwing less than half that?

It was 170 after throwing 30 the day before. All I did was correct the guy who mentioned him. Hth
BoozingAg
We could've played another 9 innings and not scored, so why risk injury to Dox? I can't believe this team just went 18 innings without a run and the hot topic is when we pulled our starting pitcher.
Aggies2009
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

threeanout said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

threeanout said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Well excuse me then; I didn't realize you were looking for specifically 8.0 innings pitched.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/more-pitchers-are-getting-pulled-from-no-hitters/

Good article on it.
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

Austin Wood, but yeah.

It was 170 after throwing 30 the day before. All I did was correct the guy who mentioned him. Hth
Which makes his point all the more ridiculous
Aggies2009
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

Austin Wood, but yeah.

Which makes his point all the more ridiculous

Again, I didn't agree or disagree. I corrected the name.

I agree with you in this thread.
mwm
Seely may work with the hitters but the offense belong to Bolt. Plus, Seely is on the road recruiting for much of the year and is not likely to be on-site as much as is Bolt.
Average Joe
AG
TexasRebel said:

Average Joe said:

TexasRebel said:

Yes, throwing 169 pitches is the same as throwing 10 pitches less than your average. You're right. We probably shouldn't let anyone throw more than 20 pitches since closers can't throw many more than that. No one should be able to. They might get an ouchie.
96ags
AG
That little kid asking his dad for a gun must be reading this thread!

I'm going to leave here in a little bit and go watch my son's high school team play in the Regional semi-finals!

Have a great day guys
Shoefly!
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

It's pretty simple. You watch games where our guys look at strikes and swing it balls. As a result, they get behind the count consistently. They are not seeing the ball well. Why? One cannot see that which you do not look at. This is a concept that is taught coaches to T-ball ballers. The bat sits on their shoulders as if it's glued there. The bat is your weapon, gentlemen. Besides your brain and your body, your PAT is the only other weapon you have. watch the ball, swing at strikes and take balls, and hit.

Blue, Blue,Blue Star this!
mwm
First, I am not a Childress apologist. But, his pitching staff did more than their share to win games in the tournament. So, I'm not quite ready to say "fire Childress".

It is the offense that didn't show up the last two games. The starting pitchers more than showed up.
Kszot
seeing people put blame on the bullpen speaks volumes to how our starting pitchers have spoiled us -- we're expecting every pitcher to be essentially flawless.
powerbelly
AG
mwm said:

First, I am not a Childress apologist. But, his pitching staff did more than their share to win games in the tournament. So, I'm not quite ready to say "fire Childress".

It is the offense that didn't show up the last two games. The starting pitchers more than showed up.
Unfortunately Childress is the head coach and not just the pitching coach. He is responsible for the performance of the offense as well as the pitching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.