*****Aggies vs. Vanderbilt-SEC Tournament Wednesday*****

130,684 Views | 1168 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This game was meaningless to our resume and NS spot.
trouble
AG
No clue. I only use chrome.
Lance Uppercut
AG
After playing #6...we play the loser of a game between #8 and #10. This tournament is ridiculous.
Aggieangler93
AG
LOL at you. You're not one I would block!
PJYoung
AG
quote:
So frustrating. How do we expect to get to Omaha let alone win the World Serries if we can't even win game in the SEC tournament.

Come on dude.
Sandman98
AG
AgEng06
AG
ANNND I'm now un-watchlisting this thread. No need to keep seeing it pop up just to read all the *****ing.
96ags
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
A hitter who is hitting well that showed several poor bunt attempts and yet you still have him bunting with a 2-2 count??? Really horrible coaching decision on that one.

Do you know how many times in the last 2 weeks alone that he's bunted for a hit?

Of course you don't.
Have you ever coached baseball? Even peewee? Of course you haven't.

Ah. Now reduced to fallacious arguments. I accept your admission of defeat.
I could have made the same worthless statement after your first response.

It was a bad coaching decision to keep bunting with a 2-2 count. The sooner you realize that the smarter you will be.
As someone who HAS coached baseball, I'll say it was not a BAD coaching decision.

You can disagree with it, hell I probably would have taken the bunt off, but there are a TONS of big time coaches that would have left the bunt on in that situation including the winningest coach in college baseball history.

With a guy like Homan, it is a very good assumption that he is going to get a bunt down and keep you out of the double play but he didn't.

It is fine to disagree with the call, but don't pretend it is some crazy call that no other coach would make.
spanky
AG
For grins, here is Birk with his foot "clearly off the bag by a foot". ESPN really didn't show many good looks at this play. Ump was definitely influenced by the Ryan's momentum going away from the bag.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Conference tournaments have very little to do with how teams will play in the regionals/super regionals.

That being said...that was probably the most disappointing loss so far this year because it felt like we just lost it and they didn't actually win it.
histag10
AG
Dear staff,

Thank you!

[YOU'RE WELCOME. -STAFF]
jkag89
quote:
Catharsis through public complaining and crying on the internet is a thing for a lot of people. A lot of people
I know, but whatever happened to just yelling at radio/TV/computer/tablet and in turn just scaring the dog/wife/kids? I guess most of us are at work so such an outlet isn't open today.
canaAg12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
A hitter who is hitting well that showed several poor bunt attempts and yet you still have him bunting with a 2-2 count??? Really horrible coaching decision on that one.

Do you know how many times in the last 2 weeks alone that he's bunted for a hit?

Of course you don't.

It was a bad coaching decision to keep bunting with a 2-2 count. The sooner you realize that the smarter you will be.
As someone who HAS coached baseball, I'll say it was not a BAD coaching decision.

You can disagree with it, hell I probably would have taken the bunt off, but there are a TONS of big time coaches that would have left the bunt on in that situation including the winningest coach in college baseball history.

With a guy like Homan, it is a very good assumption that he is going to get a bunt down and keep you out of the double play but he didn't.

It is fine to disagree with the call, but don't pretend it is some crazy call that no other coach would make.
At first, I did not like the call, but I did not whole heartedly disagree with it. It was more poor execution on Homan;s part, than it was a poor coaching decision. My biggest disagreement was letting Choruby swing away. I would have liked to see the bunt with hi, and see if Moss can drive him in, or if Moss can get on base and allow Boomer to get him in.
Sandman98
AG
I didn't love the decision to bunt in the first place but if the hitter gets to two strikes while bunting, the percentages are better to leave it on.

He still had the ability to walk and move the runner without risk of double play if he had executed. Odds aren't great of a successful outcome letting him swing once he had two strikes. The double play is on the table as is every other potential out that doesn't move the runner.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Well we know one thing, RC probably won't bunt with two strikes when regional play starts...
BQ_90
AG
why can't we find anyone that wants to lead off for us. Daman that spot is killing us right now.
Claud
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course you don't.

I never said no coach would make that call. Some probably would. I said with a 2-2 count with a good hitter who did not look good bunting TODAY should not still be bunting. It was a bad decision. I was yelling at the TV before the strike out and the poor results speak for themselves.

Ragoo
AG
quote:
in fact, we shouldn't trot out either starters the next game. I say give the ball to hendrix or our mid week guy.
bdgol07
AG
I love how everyone is complaining about the bunt staying on after two strikes when Homan should have walked because he bunted two balls over his head. All he had to do was take those pitches and we have first and second no outs with Choruby up, likely bunting.

Time to move on from this game
Claud
quote:
I didn't love the decision to bunt in the first place but if the hitter gets to two strikes while bunting, the percentages are better to leave it on.

He still had the ability to walk and move the runner without risk of double play if he had executed. Odds aren't great of a successful outcome letting him swing once he had two strikes. The double play is on the table as is every other potential out that doesn't move the runner.
Can you point me to the study where it is a higher probability to leave the bunt on than swing away with 2 strikes?
aggiewilliford
Choruby has been pretty good at lead off. Just had a bad day today. Alleman was a great lead off but even struggled down in the regionals. It's a hard batting position. Pressure wise.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
quote:
in fact, we shouldn't trot out either starters the next game. I say give the ball to hendrix or our mid week guy.
I thought that all along, I wouldn't have pitched any of the starts or the main pen guys, let those other guys get innings
Aggie
AG
We're not gonna lose out on a national seed.. Even if we go 2 and BBQ.

In not worried about that.. What I would be concerned about is entering regional play on a 3 game losing streak at the hands of 3 different opponents. Baseball like any other sport is a game of momentum.
histag10
AG
quote:
quote:

I would like to see Kilkenny or Kolek get the start with Hendrix out of the pen.
CampingAg
AG
Just made the mistake of reading through the last few pages.

Good grief, there are 298 college baseball teams, and it was just agreed upon a mere two days ago by the writers that we are better than 297 of those.

You'd think we were a bubble team or something.
histag10
AG
quote:

In not worried about that.. What I would be concerned about is entering regional play on a 3 game losing streak at the hands of 3 different opponents. Baseball like any other sport is a game of momentum.

Eh, if scar beats Ole miss, it's possible it's only 2 teams. Upsides?
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would like to see Kilkenny or Kolek get the start with Hendrix out of the pen.
either way. at this point we need to get out of this tournament and focused on regionals. winning tomorrow would be fine, but losing doesn't matter to me.
96ags
AG
quote:
quote:

Can you point me to the study where it is a higher probability to leave the bunt on than swing away with 2 strikes?
I don't have stats for college, but statistically speaking sac bunts are successful approx 70% of the time.

Conversely, the MLB batting average with 2 strikes is less than .250. I would suspect college results are similar.
Ragoo
AG
quote:

in any case we will get some scrub 4 seed, hit the ball 15 times and score 8-10 runs in the first game of the regional.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
quote:

10 years of being in collegiate and professional baseball games. I don't need a study. The list of possible bad outcomes is longer when a guy is asked to swing with two strikes and a tying run at first. Execution of the bunt is more likely to accomplish the goal of moving the runner 90 feet. Second guessing is the easy part.

Again, I would rather the hitter had not been asked to bunt in the first place.
fieldtrailer
AG
quote:
quote:

Have to take into account how comfortable the batter is with bunting before making him. All of these kids should be prepared and capable to do it, but he obviously didn't look comfortable which I think is a weakness in our offense. He's probably not the only one who would struggle.
dermdoc
AG
You do realize TCU went two and q in the Big 12 tourney last year to worse teams and still became a National seed that made it to Omaha, correct? Happens all the time, Conference tourneys in any sport are worthless unless you are trying to play your way in. That is why we do not go to them. Focus Ags.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course you don't.

So the vast majority of coaches at every level would've taken off the bunt with two strikes, but a few self proclaimed experts here say it was the right call.

trouble
AG
Ryne
Claud
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't have stats for college, but statistically speaking sac bunts are successful approx 70% of the time.

Conversely, the MLB batting average with 2 strikes is less than .250. I would suspect college results are similar.
That 70% sacrifice success rate is not with 2 strikes on the batter. The % goes down significantly if you factor in 2 strikes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.