More Crooked Basketball News

13,788 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiepublius
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here comes the Turgeon bashing. Not once is he brought up in this. That school has deep connections with Under Armor. Way above Turgeon pay-grade.
wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

Here comes the Turgeon bashing. Not once is he brought up in this. That school has deep connections with Under Armor. Way above Turgeon pay-grade.
WITCH HUNT!
Expert Analysis
AG
It brings up one of the coaches he hired who was already dirty when he hired him....
bobinator
AG
I was sort of hoping all of this was over. Who cares.
Hop
Staff
AG
Double Diamond said:

Interesting....arguing against yourself with future arguments that haven't been made yet. OK...

I've never seen anybody on here question Turgeon's recruiting reputation.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Why would you want the investigation of institutional cheating to go away? You are OK with widespread cheating in college basketball?
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Why would you want the investigation of institutional cheating to go away? You are OK with widespread cheating in college basketball?
Best I can tell, lots of people are OK with it, at least in the form it is taking here; or they think it should be an NCAA and not an FBI matter.

Then again, I don't think the NCAA can solve an Encyclopedia Brown mystery, let alone figure this scheme out.
bobinator
AG
Hop said:

Yeah, I mean everyone is doing it, so who cares? I also definitely think it's an epic waste of taxpayer money for the FBI to be involved.
Pumpkinhead
AG
This FBI stuff at least gave Rick Pitino a commuppance that he had managed to avoid so many times before.
Double Diamond
Never going to be over to the system changes. Nobody is clear.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Hop said:

Yeah, I mean everyone is doing it, so who cares? I also definitely think it's an epic waste of taxpayer money for the FBI to be involved.
If we applied your high standard of "eh, if everybody is doing it, who cares" morality, then we'd be on par with (insert chaotic third world Central American, African, or Eastern European country here).

expresswrittenconsent
Hilarious to find religion when the sport is far more corrupt than the 3rd world governments referenced.
TMartin
Phil Knight - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Knight

[ol]
  • [url=https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hqATRU4v--4J:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Knight+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us][/url]
  • [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=related:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Knight+net+worth+phil+knight&tbo=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLwoLE-4zcAhVI-qwKHToOBY0QHwg8MAM][/url]
  • [/ol]A native of Oregon, he is the co-founder and chairman emeritus of Nike, Inc., and previously served as chairman and CEO of the company. As of January 2018, Knight was ranked by Forbes as the 28th richest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of US$30 billion.
    Hop
    Staff
    AG
    expresswrittenconsent said:

Hilarious to find religion when the sport is far more corrupt than the 3rd world governments referenced.

Feel free to go live in Venezuela, Chad, North Korea, Congo, Guinea, etc. and see how that works out for you. Of all things to argue about, that may be the most ridiculous statement I've seen on this website.
    expresswrittenconsent
    I agree that it is idiotic that your response to a point that college hoops is extremely corrupt was that one should go live in North Korea to see what a 3rd world country is like.
    bobinator
    AG
    Hop said:

If we applied your high standard of "eh, if everybody is doing it, who cares" morality, then we'd be on par with (insert chaotic third world Central American, African, or Eastern European country here).

Yeah, I clearly meant that as a blanket statement that our entire society should operate by, not just this one specific case of college basketball.
    Pumpkinhead
    AG
    Having lived in latin America now for about 20 years, I almost thought about jumping into this discussion of 3rd world life style & politics, but I decided to defer.
    NoNameAg
    Hop said:

bobinator said:

Hop said:

Holy over the top asinine analogy, Batman!
    DukeMu
    Pumpkinhead said:

Having lived in latin America now for about 20 years, I almost thought about jumping into this discussion of 3rd world life style & politics, but I decided to defer.
    You and your ****hole lifestyle!

The NCAA seems pretty toothless given that UNCheat got away with 25 years of fake classes to keep their ballers eligible and hang banners. They claimed admission of fraud to SACS (which placed the entire university on probation) was a "typo." The notion of "student-athlete" has been reduced to a fraudulent abstraction...unless the tutors and secretaries that wrote and graded their papers were hookers. fail

DukeMu
    Aztec Aggie said:

Hop said:

bobinator said:

Hop said:

Holy over the top asinine analogy, Batman!

"You're going to poke your eye out with that central African country! Why do you do this to your father and me?"

expresswrittenconsent
    My favorite part of the UNC scandal is that the university insisted that it wasn't athletic cheating because they let regular students also take the "free A" classes also. They said it with no regard for the fact that it actually makes their school look worse.
    PatAg
    AG
    If they're actually going to bust every team that is cheating, then I'm for it. If we're only going to bust 5% of the teams cheating, it's a waste.
    Topher17
    AG
    Hop said:

bobinator said:

Hop said:

Yes, because college basketball is the same as governments. I'm with Bob, who cares? Every school does it and anyone following college hoops closely already knew it was happening.
    I think you should be able to play in the NBA out of HS, but the NCAA has no say in that, and as long as the rules are as they are now, schools will find a way to buy players in both football and basketball. I find both very entertaining regardless of that fact and I don't care. As mentioned, doesn't the FBI have better things to do?
    2nd Generation Ag
    At the end of the day its all about money. Just like everything else.
    Pumpkinhead
    AG
    Turgeon missed the NCAA last season and has seemed to have generally a polarizing relationship with the fanbase there. if Maryland is looking for an excuse to can him while saving buyout money, this might eventually given them one.
    Hop
    Staff
    AG
    2nd Generation Ag said:

At the end of the day its all about money. Just like everything else.

And most crimes are just about money. Organized crime is just all about the money, right?

These were ongoing major federal crimes in a multi-billion dollar business. We're talking significant bribery and wire fraud. This isnt just a case about cheating NCAA schools. In fact, the FBI sees academic institutions as one of the victims here. It's about one of the largest clothing companies in the world bribing players and their mentors to go to a certain school that wears their clothing and shoes. That is illegal and it isn't nickel and dime stuff.

So a multi-billion dollar clothing company is bribing critical components in a multi-billion dollar business (NCAA basketball) made up of publically funded academic institutions to gain an unfair advantage over competition. That doesn't meet your relevancy test?

That's the classic scenario of why you want the FBI investigating this deal. There is no other legal entity that realistically can investigate or enforce the rule of law here.

The FBI found out the Mob was involved in the Boston College point shaving scandal in the late 1970's. If there is money to made institutionally with no checks or balances, organized crime usually finds its way into the system eventually. Sports is based on the perception that it is an honest game where both teams are 100% motivated to win. Billions of dollars are being wagered on the honest outcome of sporting events.

I'd say deterring future potential organized crime activities in a multi-billion dollar business revolved around sports meets the bar for an FBI investigation.
    Belton Ag
    AG
    Pumpkinhead said:

You live in San Antonio?
    mikesyracuse1
    This thread took a bizzare turn!

Mikesyracuse1
    DukeMu
    expresswrittenconsent said:

My favorite part of the UNC scandal is that the university insisted that it wasn't athletic cheating because they let regular students also take the "free A" classes also. They said it with no regard for the fact that it actually makes their school look worse.

A lot of them were frat guys who found out about the fake sections from the athletes. There's an email thread in the evidence stack where a secretary and faculty are complaining to each other that the frat guys have sniffed out and are registering in the "irregular classes."
    bobinator
    AG
    I guess it depends on your definition of significant. I don't care for it because of two main things.

1) The whole system is absurd, everyone is doing something, and this isn't going to do anything to change that: If the NCAA and NBA wanted to sit down and completely overhaul the grassroots system of basketball, I'd be all for it. But there's no way that's going to happen because there's too much money in it for everyone involved.

I could post 4,000 words on exactly how insane grassroots basketball system is, but the story of Hennssy Auriantal, Charles Bassey, St. Anthony's and now Western Kentucky are a good current example of just how broken this whole system is.

Until they decide to pay the players directly, this is going to continue.

2) Nothing going on in this whole situation is hurting American taxpayers: It's a really stupid situation, but the only money that's being wasted here is money from the big shoe companies, so I really don't care.

The only reason that the academic institutions are being presented as victims is because that's one of the only ways the FBI has come up with to pin an actual charge on them. They're claiming the schools are victims because the actions of these people open up the schools to financial risk because of potential NCAA violations. But there wouldn't be any NCAA violations without the investigation itself. It's like me lighting your house on fire using gasoline and matches that you left inside your house and then saying your house is at risk of fire so you're a potential victim of fire.

It's nothing like a point shaving scandal where it's secretly impacting the outcomes of games and TV contracts and advertising dollars and all that sort of stuff is involved.
    Pumpkinhead
    AG
    bobinator said:

I guess it depends on your definition of significant. I don't care for it because of two main things.

1) The whole system is absurd, everyone is doing something, and this isn't going to do anything to change that: If the NCAA and NBA wanted to sit down and completely overhaul the grassroots system of basketball, I'd be all for it. But there's no way that's going to happen because there's too much money in it for everyone involved.

I could post 4,000 words on exactly how insane grassroots basketball system is, but the story of Hennssy Auriantal, Charles Bassey, St. Anthony's and now Western Kentucky are a good current example of just how broken this whole system is.

Until they decide to pay the players directly, this is going to continue.

2) Nothing going on in this whole situation is hurting American taxpayers: It's a really stupid situation, but the only money that's being wasted here is money from the big shoe companies, so I really don't care.

The only reason that the academic institutions are being presented as victims is because that's one of the only ways the FBI has come up with to pin an actual charge on them. They're claiming the schools are victims because the actions of these people open up the schools to financial risk because of potential NCAA violations. But there wouldn't be any NCAA violations without the investigation itself. It's like me lighting your house on fire using gasoline and matches that you left inside your house and then saying your house is at risk of fire so you're a potential victim of fire.

It's nothing like a point shaving scandal where it's secretly impacting the outcomes of games and TV contracts and advertising dollars and all that sort of stuff is involved.
    Let's say hypothetically Rick Pitino paid a 5-star player 100K + free hookers during their recruiting visit (I know, a crazy scenario, but let's pretend Pitino might actually be okay with that kind of stuff going on), and that 5-star player (to Pitino's surprise!) committed to Louisville. Would you consider other schools who were trying to recruit that same player a 'victim' of Louisville's activities? Would you consider schools (and the fans of those schools) who lost games to Louisville because they didn't have as much talent as 'victims'?
    mhayden
    We're all a victim of your overzealous positive spin on everything but you don't see us asking the FBI to get involved.
    Double Diamond
    UNC figured it out. You can cheat as long as you offer the cheating to all students.
    bobinator
    AG
    Pumpkinhead said:

Let's say hypothetically Rick Pitino paid a 5-star player 100K + free hookers during their recruiting visit (I know, a crazy scenario, but let's pretend Pitino might actually be okay with that kind of stuff going on), and that 5-star player (to Pitino's surprise!) committed to Louisville. Would you consider other schools who were trying to recruit that same player a 'victim' of Louisville's activities? Would you consider schools (and the fans of those schools) who lost games to Louisville because they didn't have as much talent as 'victims'?
    That's not the scenario here. If the FBI had proof that a college coach was organizing prostitutes for (potentially underage) players, then yeah, that's pretty clearly a serious crime worth investigating (though it also seems like a local police issue? I'm not a jurisdictional expert.)

Or, if the FBI could prove that university money was being funneled directly to player's pockets, then that would probably be worth investigating because universities, that do receive taxpayer money, would be directly involved.

That's not the situation though.

They're saying that shoe companies are funneling money through assistants to people associated with the players or the players themselves, and that the schools are victims because this money funneling scheme opens the schools up to potential NCAA violations if the scheme is ever discovered.

Painting the school that's doing the cheating as a victim is laughable, but that's what they're doing.
    Double Diamond
    It's about shoe companies. Pitino was the fall guy over stuff every school is involved in.
    Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.