More Crooked Basketball News

13,670 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiepublius
TailG8TR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kansas appears squarely in the crosshairs in this release....and NCSt........

Adidas and Money for Players
jja79
AG
Did you read the article? It sounds like James Gotto is in the crosshairs and the payments were concealed from KU.
TailG8TR
AG
Hmmmmm....pretty interesting...the article has been revised/changed/re-written in several areas and has eliminated negative remarks about Kansas and NCSt being involved.

Earlier article (around 6:00 or so) was of a much different tone.

I see that the time stamp on this edition of the article is 8:15 Mountain time (9:15 central)

Edit to add.... the earlier story I linked to did NOT name any players - choosing instead "unnamed" players in any mention. Additionally it did NOT have any statement from Kansas Univ in the article at all. A different story and slant now.
Double Diamond
Guessing they don't want to look dumb like ESPN over Sean Miller. All adidas shoe schools should be nervous. Nike wasn't sloppy like adidas. You land top talent it comes at a cost. Nothing new here.
JJxvi
AG
I guess if that's true and I worked for Nike, I sure as hell wouldn't be patting myself on the back for being "not sloppy" I'd be looking for a new job, because I sure as hell ain't going to jail just to sell some *******ed shoes because "that's the way it's done"
Double Diamond
Will see maybe The FBI has found stuff on Nike, it's interesting how Addis was easy pickings.
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

De Sousa played for the Jayhawks this season as part of their Final Four team, which could place their NCAA tournament run in jeopardy of being vacated if the allegations are proven.
Double Diamond
Guess what as long as you allow schools to make big bucks off of getting shoe deals, shoe companies will won't to make sure their schools get players. It's really insane to think it wouldn't. They want high end talent wearing the gear. The amount of hypocrisy is mind blowing. Let the free market work and end the under the table stuff.
Double Diamond
Amazing how everyone else gets to use the free market.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Double Diamond said:

Will see maybe The FBI has found stuff on Nike, it's interesting how Addis was easy pickings.
That might be a bit premature. USC and Arizona are both Nike schools. Nike-sponsored leagues are being investigated, as are Under Armour (Source).
Double Diamond
I do think Nike knows how to play the game better. As in 450k to Bagley's fathers AAU team to secure him to a Nike school as apposed to handing him money. Look players have been bought by shoe companies for ever. Get rid of contracts between schools and shoe companies. Why should Kansas get paid large amounts of money to be with adidas and people not think that adidas might want good players at Kansas. Or the fact why should Kansas get paid large amounts of money but the actual people that are the reason Kansas gets large amounts of money get no money.

Or A&M or Duke or whoever. Freemarket economics work. And are allowed almost everywhere except the NCAA. But hey you got a scholarship kid! When you force shawdow activity you cannot control into the shadows you get this. Johnny should've been allowed to use the free market to make money on his signature. Kind of did as a half of football is a small price. But still, was such a waste of time watching the NCAA twist off on that. All because they aren't getting a cut.
Faustus
Double Diamond said:

It's going to be pretty embarrassing to find out that top FBI recruits were paid 100k by Nike to attend Quantico.
_lefraud_
AG
I enjoyed when Under Armour decided to jump into grassroots basketball and give the Harrison twins half a million dollars...oops!
Double Diamond
But adidas and UA are chasing Nike and sloppy about it. It's such a running joke on kids tied to shoes. Everyone knows hey that kids a Nike kid etc. Old news people.
The Lost
Double Diamond said:

Title 9 is what crushes everything.
pinche gringo
AG
Double Diamond said:

As in 450k to Bagley's fathers AAU team to secure him to a Nike school as apposed to handing him money.

I normally let **** slide on TexAgs, but "apposed"? Are you kidding me? Jesus Christ, I had to re-type that four times to get around the autocorrect.
PatAg
AG
If is interesting that suddenly the FBI is busting these companies and schools, but somehow Nike isn't implicated yet.
DukeMu
PatAg said:

If is interesting that suddenly the FBI is busting these companies and schools, but somehow Nike isn't implicated yet.

The FBI wears Nike gear?
Iowaggie
AG
The Lost said:

Double Diamond said:

And I'm not sure people really want a free market in college athletics.

Guys joining or changing teams mid-season, labor union issues, teams folding mid-season.

GE
AG
Iowaggie said:

The Lost said:

Double Diamond said:

And I'm not sure people really want a free market in college athletics.

Guys joining or changing teams mid-season, labor union issues, teams folding mid-season.
Would completely kill college sports
Double Diamond
Yea let's just continue this model. Were cheating goes on can't be controlled. Every now and then will take a final four banner down and the cheating will continue on.
GE
AG
Yes, let's.
Double Diamond
Better to have cheating than a system without cheating. It's not amateur sports now. It's a sleeze fest of nasty business done in the shadows. One and done, oh yea these players are students studying to get a degree.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

Better to have cheating than a system without cheating. It's not amateur sports now. It's a sleeze fest of nasty business done in the shadows. One and done, oh yea these players are students studying to get a degree.
What % of ALL NCAA athletes do you think get paid significant amounts of money against the rules?
biobioprof
The Lost said:

Double Diamond said:

There are good arguments about Title IX having negative effects on men's minor sports, but I'm not seeing the how it would increase corruption in the revenue sports. I'm probably being obtuse: care to elaborate?
Hickory High
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

What % of ALL NCAA athletes do you think get paid significant amounts of money against the rules?

In top 150 programs? I'd say around 80%.
Double Diamond
Some form of cheating is high. As in shoe companies total joke of class load. Gifts of some sort.
GE
AG
Hickory High said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

You really believe people are paying significant amounts of money to volleyball players and softball players?
Hickory High
AG
GE said:

Hickory High said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

You really believe people are paying significant amounts of money to volleyball players and softball players?

Sorry, didn't notice the "all" part. No, I do not.
Double Diamond
I say let your ability get what you can get. It's happening now. I'd just like it to not be acted like it's not. P
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

I say let your ability get what you can get. It's happening now. I'd just like it to not be acted like it's not. P
How would it work though actually? Would they be required to remain academically eligible? Who would pay their salary? Would there be a salary cap? If so how would you penalize people violating it?
Double Diamond
Allow players to make money of their likeness the Olympic model. Some won't be able to make anything as the market isn't interested. The way it is now. Sign autographs for money. Do adds for local business. Sell game worm stuff.
LawHall88
AG
wacarnolds
AG
TUUUUURRRRRRGGGGEEEE
LawHall88
AG

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.