Penny Hardaway

18,614 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Double Diamond
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't even like Memphis basketball. Just tired of the NCAA madness. Looking forward to states taking them to task over players making money.
Iowaggie
AG
Double Diamond said:

How did the NCAA think Penny got this kid? What a joke. Can't wait for this madness to be over. There is no purity about college recruiting.

Yes, I hope we can get back to that purity that Duke used to land Carlos Boozer, Chris Duhon or Corey Maggette.
Iowaggie
AG
wacarnolds said:

The basketball lawyer is named Ballin

Not just Ballin, but Leslie Ballin.

That's literally what is happening to Wiseman...Less Ballin.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

I get why this seems like it should make him ineligible, but I'm not sure what grounds the NCAA is actually using. No way Penny could be considered a Memphis booster two years ago.

Why could he not be considered a Memphis booster two years ago ?
He donated $1 million in 2008, which makes him a "booster in perpetuity:"
Quote:

Due to a $1 million donation made by Hardaway in 2008 to help fund the university's Penny Hardaway Hall of Fame, NCAA bylaws consider Hardaway a booster in perpetuity.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/11/08/james-wiseman-ineligible-memphis-tigers-basketball-ncaa/2513758001/
amercer
AG
He paid a million bucks for his own hall of fame?

Bold.
basic8
It's an NBA problem that keeps guys like this from playing for pay. NCAA will always have rules; there's thousands of other student athletes involved. It's COLLEGE. And a booster can't pay expenses for a potential recruit.

There are plenty of places to make money for the one year student athlete. Leave the college stuff to the college athletes. (and, sure, pay them part of the "profits"). And there will still always be 'bluebloods'.

Media loves this sht Way more important than the game itself. That's all they're talking about. Screw the other regular guys. It's become NCAAAAU.

Over under in phrase 'temporary restraining order" and "Penny Hardaway" used by commentators?
Double Diamond
Better get on board. As these aren't student athletes. And they are about to be allowed to use the free market.
DeangeloVickers
AG
MarcAg
AG
Double Diamond said:

Better get on board. As these aren't student athletes. And they are about to be allowed to use the free market.

And most of them aren't going to make sh*t with that new law!!
Double Diamond
That's how the free market works.
wangus12
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Memphis gonna catch a multiyear post season ban
Iowaggie
AG
From what I'm reading, it appears that the rule is pretty open ended, and anyone who has donated to the university, which would include all season ticket holders, or even if someone gave $20, is considered a financial supporter of the university indefinitely. From that point on, the university could get in trouble for any illegal benefits. I guess that could include any alum that is coaching HS or youth sports that buys a kid a meal or makes an equipment purchase for them (and they end up going to the same university as the financial supporter of the university). I don't know how correct that is, but I suppose it sounds right.

And from what I'm reading, I guess the NCAA has all this information on this situation since they were informed of it in May, but chose at that time to clear him. But I guess since he's played a game, the NCAA changed their mind? My VERY LIMITED understanding is that Wiseman would have chosen to go elsewhere had they declared in May that there was a possibility he would be ineligible. (And I realize that this all could be part of a misinformation war).

The money for the relocation to Memphis was paid between June 9, 2017, and July 28, 2017, according to Ballin.

"All information regarding Mr. Hardaway's financial assistance to Ms. Artis (Wiseman's mother) and other points of inquiry were shared with the NCAA prior to certification of Mr. Wiseman's eligibility," according to the lawsuit.

"Coach Tubby Smith was the coach of the Tigers at that point, and nobody -- including Coach Hardaway -- thought he (Hardaway) was going to be a coach at the University of Memphis," Ballin said.
Double Diamond
Memphis has a case.
MarcAg
AG
What is their case? He accepted benefits from a booster. Seems pretty cut and dry. You can argue the rule is dumb, but it's the rule right now.
Iowaggie
AG
MarcAg said:

What is their case? He accepted benefits from a booster. Seems pretty cut and dry. You can argue the rule is dumb, but it's the rule right now.

Well, as mentioned above, according to the lawyer (take the info fwiw), the NCAA already had this information, ruled in May that he would still be eligible, and then waited until after his first game to declare him ineligible. Had they just done that in May or even August, he could have gone somewhere else.

And I can't state this enough, this is only 1 side of the story.
MarcAg
AG
Where else could he have gone? Overseas? He can still go there.
AgEfan
Rules are rules. He accepted benefits from a booster. And how the hell does it cost $11,500 to move??
Method Man
He should just train all year and sit out. This is a blessing.
Iowaggie
AG
MarcAg said:

Where else could he have gone? Overseas? He can still go there.

The problem isn't that his family received moving expenses to go from Nashville to Memphis. It is that they received them from a donor from the U of Memphis AND Wiseman chose that school.

If the NCAA had ruled in May when they were presented with the information that Wiseman's attendance at Memphis would make him ineligible, he could have still gone to UNC, Duke, any SEC school that had an open scholarship, etc. because he hadn't enrolled at Memphis. There wasn't any new information since May, the NCAA decided to re-interpret their own ruling.

The NCAA's letter is specific to Hardaway as a Memphis booster.
AgEfan
I don't think you are correct. He still received the benefits from a booster. Even if he went to A&M after receiving those benefits, I think he still is ineligible. I could be wrong though
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mixed feelings on this. The NCAA sucks but without something (no governing body or regulators) you'd have the Wild West which would also suck.

If I was the NCAA, if Memphis is going to give me the finger, I'd guess I'd just say 'Fine, play him if you want, but you won't participate in our NCAA tournament. Enjoy your regular season'.
phorizt
Penny should be suspended for letting that one player wear those extremely short shorts last night
_lefraud_
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Mixed feelings on this. The NCAA sucks but without something (no governing body or regulators) you'd have the Wild West which would also suck.

If I was the NCAA, if Memphis is going to give me the finger, I'd guess I'd just say 'Fine, play him if you want, but you won't participate in our NCAA tournament. Enjoy your regular season'.

I would actually root for this to happen, as it would be the beginning of the end for the NCAA. Hopefully, schools would band together and just create their own tournament, as schools don't actually need the NCAA.

Why not have the Wild West? It's all been there for the past 25 years, it's just been "disguised" with how coaches/schools/boosters all do it.

I honestly don't think it would be all that bad. If a school/booster wants to pay $50,000 for a player, then so be it. The Blue Bloods will get the same players they've always gotten, but so will the other schools, as EVERY school has donors willing to play stupid money to see their school try and be successful.

I think it would eventually run its course, as schools/donors will grow tired of paying X amount of dollars for a player than can't even get them past the first weekend (See Kevin Durant).
Iowaggie
AG
AgEfan said:

I don't think you are correct. He still received the benefits from a booster. Even if he went to A&M after receiving those benefits, I think he still is ineligible. I could be wrong though

I've been dwelling on this and wondering if it may be more beneficial for some Aggie boosters to start "supporting" Tide, Tigers, Longhorns, etc recruits in future, but I think it's significant in this case that he's an actual donor to the university of enrollment.

And to be clear, I think the kids is ineligible and I also think Memphis will now get a post season ban for playing him.

I just think it is a crap move by NCAA to have a special review on the player, say it is OK in May, but change their mind 5 months later (again, if that is true)
DukeMu
wangus12 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Memphis gonna catch a multiyear post season ban

Once they let UNC get away with 3000+ fake classes, hundred of forged signature and grade changes to keep b'ball and football players eligible...

...and LSU, Kansas are openly getting away with it.

dunkaroo
Think some of the "Blue Bloods" are pressuring the ncaa in an attempt to slow Penny's momentum? Calipari for instance..
basic8
Double Diamond said:

That's how the free market works.
Kinda like a free market to buy wins at the high school level? $11,000 moving expenses for a high school junior? and Memphis didn't think it'd continue..... "Spirit of the rule" has left the building for victim hood and poor kids with no opportunities. Oh, and buying winning teams to show one can recruit.

Penny was a Steinbrenner in High School Basketball.
JJxvi
AG
I don't know what the NCAA was smoking back in May, but the idea that someone who gave like say A&M a million dollars and then gave a football recruit $11,000 would in no way fly in the NCAA ever at any time in the past. That person then becoming the coach or not is completey irrelevant.

Double Diamond
The case is the NCAA cleared him. And the NCAA cleared Penny to coach. So now Penny cannot recruit anyone that he had passed involvement?
Double Diamond
Yeah the NCAA has been the Wild West forever. The fact they think they can slow or stop this California rule from taking over every state is how far out of touch they are. There is no competitive balance now. Never has been. Is even more non-competitive in football.
Iowaggie
AG
Any predictions on suspension length? One-third of season would be 10 games.

Apparently 7 is the new 10?
Carlo4
AG
If only Penney Hardaway was aware paying money to a player was a violation...

greg.w.h
AG
Double Diamond said:

The case is the NCAA cleared him. And the NCAA cleared Penny to coach. So now Penny cannot recruit anyone that he had passed involvement?
Great question. Apparently not if money exchanged hands in a final gasp to keep the fiction of shamateurism intact.

Remember how the tennis players ushered in the end of shamateurism? We aren't on the SAME path, but it is a SIMILAR path:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-open-era-in-tennis

Iowaggie
AG

In a surprise response, nobody is happy, probably just like every other NCAA ruling.
Either, it should be less or why is it not more?
Tobias Funke
AG
I can't grasp the insanity of them forcing him to pay $11,500 to the charity of his choice. What the what

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.