SIAP Or Asked: Odds on Robert Williams Leaves

8,942 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieBaller98 said:

free_mhayden said:

I mentioned it a week or so before the Florida game -- it's not a new occurrence, but something that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. Looks to be in an attempt to "show his range" to scouts (of which there have been plenty at the games).
of course he could be thinking that between a potential turnover and a made 3 point shot, he figures might as well take a shot. Right?

If it had happened once, sure.

But there is a significant difference between the # of "deep" shots early in the possession that Williams took his first month or so of the season and the last 2-3 weeks. If more than a couple of people have noticed it, it's probably not just a coincidence.
CactusThomas
AG
Especially since he one at the buzzer and another when we were down several points with a few seconds left in the game.
TheAngelFlight
Hop said:

SWAGBOT said:

I think the mock drafts may be ranking him a bit too high. His lack of ability on the offensive end from beyond 10 feet would be worrisome to me if I was an NBA scout. Not as concerning if he was 7 feet tall.

Obviously I'm a little biased and really hope he stays, but if going to the NBA is the best move for him and his family, I support him.

There are players in the NBA that have had long, lucrative careers without an offensive game (Rodman). Plus, with his wingspan and strong hands he plays like a 7-footer.
Rodman was also perhaps the greatest rebounder to ever play the game. He still had to scrape his way to more minutes the first few years of his career, and never hit that big pay day until his third stop (with the Bulls).

I'm not saying Williams doesn't jump to the NBA after this season or that a team won't take a chance on him in the front half of the first round...but Rodman ain't a great example for a kid trying to decide to stay in college or not.

bobinator
AG
t - cam said:

Just like NFL mock drafts they are usually pretty close.
I posted this a while back, but this of year, they really aren't that close at all.
TheAngelFlight
free_mhayden said:

AggieBaller98 said:

free_mhayden said:

I mentioned it a week or so before the Florida game -- it's not a new occurrence, but something that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. Looks to be in an attempt to "show his range" to scouts (of which there have been plenty at the games).
of course he could be thinking that between a potential turnover and a made 3 point shot, he figures might as well take a shot. Right?

If it had happened once, sure.

But there is a significant difference between the # of "deep" shots early in the possession that Williams took his first month or so of the season and the last 2-3 weeks. If more than a couple of people have noticed it, it's probably not just a coincidence.
For one, better competition has allowed teams to change some of our offensive habits.

I'm sure there was no coincedence that a good USC team with a couple of excellent big guys were able to kick Williams out for 2 three pointers in just 17 minutes early in the season.

SEC clubs have a lot more game film, now, too, and we hardly dictate the flow of the game on the offensive end.

I'm sure there is some frustration with the results, and some eyeballing those scouts. Both lead to a desire to try to make something big happen.
TheAngelFlight
I might also posit that with Hogg's inconsistency and declining ability to make shots, that the team is looking for other guys that can stretch the defense.

You're either looking to give Collins and/or Vila minutes again (no way, jose) or you've got to look at your big guys to try to get lucky from deep.
LeFraud
Hop said:

LeFraud said:

Gil Renard said:

Hop had it 60/40 he gone i think. Far from good as gone

Lol was my first reaction, as I thought it was a joke

But then I realized it was serious

Lolz

Aside from you acting like a child, I'll clarify. I put the odds at 65-35 and that was several weeks ago when his projection was #16-20. I have said all along if he projects higher that he will go pro...and will likely go pro either way.
To clarify, I wasn't laughing at your odds, just that a poster gave some validity to those odds.
PJYoung
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

bobinator said:

Though him jacking up four threes against Florida makes me think he's definitely trying to already prove to the scouts that he can stretch the floor.

interesting observation
One of those he was wide open and another one I noticed came at the end of the shot clock so he had to take it. If you ask me that's kind of reaching.

He's 0-13. He should probably be more like 0-2 or 0-3.
t - cam
AG
PJYoung said:

AggieBaller98 said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

bobinator said:

Though him jacking up four threes against Florida makes me think he's definitely trying to already prove to the scouts that he can stretch the floor.

interesting observation
One of those he was wide open and another one I noticed came at the end of the shot clock so he had to take it. If you ask me that's kind of reaching.

They say he hits them in practice. He looks like he has a good touch so I expect he probably just lacks confidence.
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

SWAGBOT said:

I think the mock drafts may be ranking him a bit too high. His lack of ability on the offensive end from beyond 10 feet would be worrisome to me if I was an NBA scout. Not as concerning if he was 7 feet tall.

Obviously I'm a little biased and really hope he stays, but if going to the NBA is the best move for him and his family, I support him.

There are players in the NBA that have had long, lucrative careers without an offensive game (Rodman). Plus, with his wingspan and strong hands he plays like a 7-footer.
Rodman would be an exception, but the NBA has become a small ball shooters league, and defensive stoppers with little offensive game are harder to find.

But if Bismack Biyombo can land a huge contract, so can Williams.
Hop
Staff
AG
Deandre Jordan has no ball skills outside of 3 feet from the basket and he's an all-star. I'm just saying Williams' high value isn't tied to his offensive potential. He's an athletic shot blocker with quickness who is adept at making shots when needed around the basket. That is a valuable commodity in the NBA and on top of that he has shown the potential to improve his offense in the future.
GrayMatter
AG
t - cam said:

PJYoung said:

AggieBaller98 said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

bobinator said:

interesting observation

They say he hits them in practice. He looks like he has a good touch so I expect he probably just lacks confidence.
I doubt it's confidence; he has a bad shooting form in my opinion.
bobinator
AG
Jordan is also a bit taller and has a bit longer wingspan by a couple of inches in both measurements, which can matter.
billydean05
90% chance he gone
old yeller
AG
I'd be shocked if he returned
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Jordan is also a bit taller and has a bit longer wingspan by a couple of inches in both measurements, which can matter.
I was trying to communicate that a prospect doesn't have to have a complete offensive game to be a highly-valued commodity in the NBA and the draft.
mikesyracuse1
Don't count on seeing Robert in an Aggie Uniform next season. He has a very high ceiling and is going to be rewarded for that potential.

Mikesyracuse1
wacarnolds
AG
Something noted in a drafter article today

Quote:

Too many bigs?

Going roster by roster, it becomes apparent that very few NBA teams are in need of adding more size. There are currently 77 players 6-foot-9 or taller playing 15 minutes or fewer per game. In other words, every NBA team has an average of 2 big men who don't play a major role.

It's no secret that the NBA game is going smaller. Two point-guard lineups are in vogue. Wing prospects are scarce. Combo forwards are coveted commodities. Coaches are trying to get as many shooters on the court as possible. Are more big men really what the NBA is looking for?

Things really don't add up when you look at the makeup of the players ranked outside of the elite tier. Out of the 29 players ranked in the Nos. 12-40 range of the Top 100, 21 can be classified as power forwards or centers. With only 19 spots in the first round after the top 11 prospects, it's likely that at least half of those 21 will either have to go back to school or risk being drafted in the second round. There simply isn't that great of a demand for big men, unless they are capable of spacing the floor from the 3-point line.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/elite-coming-into-focus-for-2017-nba-draft-002306555.html
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Something noted in a drafter article today

Quote:

Too many bigs?

Going roster by roster, it becomes apparent that very few NBA teams are in need of adding more size. There are currently 77 players 6-foot-9 or taller playing 15 minutes or fewer per game. In other words, every NBA team has an average of 2 big men who don't play a major role.

It's no secret that the NBA game is going smaller. Two point-guard lineups are in vogue. Wing prospects are scarce. Combo forwards are coveted commodities. Coaches are trying to get as many shooters on the court as possible. Are more big men really what the NBA is looking for?

Things really don't add up when you look at the makeup of the players ranked outside of the elite tier. Out of the 29 players ranked in the Nos. 12-40 range of the Top 100, 21 can be classified as power forwards or centers. With only 19 spots in the first round after the top 11 prospects, it's likely that at least half of those 21 will either have to go back to school or risk being drafted in the second round. There simply isn't that great of a demand for big men, unless they are capable of spacing the floor from the 3-point line.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/elite-coming-into-focus-for-2017-nba-draft-002306555.html
Opinions like what I bolded above don't seem to mesh well with other draft projections that even have Robert Williams going as high as in the top-10.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

There simply isn't that great of a demand for big men, unless they are capable of spacing the floor from the 3-point line.
Opinions like what I bolded above don't seem to mesh well with other draft projections that even have Robert Williams going as high as in the top-10.
I think his point is that the mocks don't necessarily align with the actions of NBA teams and are putting too many PF/C in the top 40.

I think guys with Williams' skill set are highly valued in today's game. If anything, the article would be more of a caution against players like Tyler leaving early.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

There simply isn't that great of a demand for big men, unless they are capable of spacing the floor from the 3-point line.
I think his point is that the mocks don't necessarily align with the actions of NBA teams and are putting too many PF/C in the top 40.

I think guys with Williams' skill set are highly valued in today's game. If anything, the article would be more of a caution against players like Tyler leaving early.
If he were on the Warriors, after a bit of seasoning I bet Williams could flourish playing the JaVale McGee role, his main responsiblity being rim protection and catching about 6-8 lob dunks per game. Though of course there is no bigger athletic freak than that McGee guy. Listed at 7'1" with a 7'6" wingspan...McGee is Robert Williams but 3-4 inches taller with yet another inch or two of wingspan. It is ridiculous some of those lobs that McGee is able to complete. Of course, there are no other places quite like Golden State ha ha.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

If he were on the Warriors, after a bit of seasoning I bet Williams could flourish playing the JaVale McGee role, his main responsiblity being rim protection and catching about 6-8 lob dunks per game. Though of course there is no bigger athletic freak than that McGee guy. Listed at 7'1" with a 7'6" wingspan...McGee is Robert Williams but 3-4 inches taller with yet another inch or two of wingspan. It is ridiculous some of those lobs that McGee is able to complete. Of course, there are no other places quite like Golden State ha ha.
Capela in Houston's wide open offense, Ibaka playing the 5 for OKC teams of the past, are a couple of valid comps imo

DD88
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Here ya go:

0% < odds < 100%
Sorry to be the math geek, but odds would be measured as
(Chances For)/(Chances Against)
so, if there is a better chance of him leaving, then the odds would be grater than 1 (or 100%)

You are probably thinking about the probability which is
(Chances For)/(Total Chances)
so
0% <= probability <= 100%
johnnyblaze36
AG
He's got 3 SC Top 10 potential nominees in this game. Sadly I think he gone. Hope I'm wrong.
jml2621
mallen said:

He's just a young kid at this point. He could definitely use another year of maturing in a relatively low pressure environment. Robert is surprisingly well spoken but I laughed when he was interviewed post-game recently:

ESPN announcer: Why were the Aggies able to have success tonight?
Robert: I think we just got back to having fun. We were all joking around before the game and just felt relaxed and didn't take things too seriously.

(a few questions later)

ESPN announcer: What do the Aggies need to do to continue winning games going forward?
Robert: We just need to be better focused and take things more seriously. Sometimes I think we're not serious enough.

It was funny. I think RW meant to be loose BEFORE the game and then focus on execution during the game.
jml2621
wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

RW is a rare bird.

We must protect him for another year.
SA-AG72
AG
That rare bird needs to quit wasting possessions by jacking up 3 pointers.
SECTAMU#1
GE said:

SunrayAg said:

He is projected as a first half of the first round pick, which means he is projected to be a multi millionaire.

Odds he leaves ... 100%.
100% is false. Closer to 100% than 0% but not 100%.
If 100% is false, then the odds are approximately 99.999%

Robert will enter the draft. Count on it.
SeattleAg05
AG
I'll be surprised if he's back unfortunately. I think he'll have trouble improving enough to outpace his potential in this draft now.

He fits the mold as the athletic, defensive big that will be great in puck and rolls and a guard heavy lineup at the next level. Also, shooting ability is one of the easiest things to improve. Almost every pro that sticks sees noticeable improvement in jump shot % with experience and practice.
GE
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

GE said:

SunrayAg said:

He is projected as a first half of the first round pick, which means he is projected to be a multi millionaire.

Odds he leaves ... 100%.

Would you give me betting odds consistent with your position?
mhayden
GE said:

SECTAMU#1 said:

GE said:

SunrayAg said:

Odds he leaves ... 100%.

Would you give me betting odds consistent with your position?

Would you be willing to risk a minimum of $10,000 on that position?
AggieAL1
Notwithstanding that $1 million is a lot of money, Williams could well stay another year if he and his advisers believe he could markedly improve on offense.

According to RealGM, the No. 1 pick last year got about $5 million a year on a three-year pact. That fell to half that for the No. 8 pick and down to $1.7 million for No. 15. Falling to No. 25 drops the pay to about $1 million.

So with his out-basket shooting woes and lack of bulk, it's not unreasonable to believe he could fall below the midway point in the draft. Of course, it's hard to turn down a chance at $1.5 million a year, but if he could work his way up to No. 8, say, a year later, it could mean going from about $4.5 million over a three-year span to around $8 million.

I don't think it would surprise many people if he hangs around another year.
mhayden
What people are missing in the "stay one more year and possibly make $1m more a year over a 3-year span" is that it puts him 1 year further away from his first free agent contract -- a contract in which if he is a competent NBA player will make him ~$3m in just one year alone.

It simply doesn't make long-term financial sense.

If RW thinks he's going to be a future NBA player, then he wants to take his good rookie contract and start working towards his first free agent contract as soon as possible -- which means he declares ASAP.

If RW thinks he's not going to be a future NBA player, then he wants to take that money as quickly as possible -- which means he declares ASAP.

If he stays it's because he really likes it here or he's not projected to be a Top 15 pick. It's really that simple.
Pumpkinhead
AG
DD88 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Here ya go:

0% < odds < 100%
Sorry to be the math geek, but odds would be measured as
(Chances For)/(Chances Against)
so, if there is a better chance of him leaving, then the odds would be grater than 1 (or 100%)

You are probably thinking about the probability which is
(Chances For)/(Total Chances)
so
0% <= probability <= 100%

I chuckled a moment at this because of what I do for a living (design and code simulation/statistical analysis software used in engineering courses at many universities, including A&M).

But despite my billion edits per post habit, I usually don't try that hard for technical or grammatical accuracy on TexAgs. TexAgs is where I usually go to take a short break from thinking ha ha.

And, actually, a probability value is generally expressed as a value between 0 and 1.
AggieAL1
I don't disagree that if he's convinced he'll be top 15, he will go. But there's more to boosting you're draft rating than speed to free agency. It tends to pretty well track what eventual free-agency is worth.

Of course, another year here could as well highlight his weaknesses as his strengths, so staying around would certainly be a gamble if the early money is assured.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.