SIAP Or Asked: Odds on Robert Williams Leaves

8,940 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
dan967p
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the odds that Robert Williams declares after the season is over?
SunrayAg
AG
He is projected as a first half of the first round pick, which means he is projected to be a multi millionaire.

Odds he leaves ... 100%.
ClassOf17
Why come back to this for another year when you can make millions?
GE
AG
SunrayAg said:

He is projected as a first half of the first round pick, which means he is projected to be a multi millionaire.

Odds he leaves ... 100%.
100% is false. Closer to 100% than 0% but not 100%.
GE
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Why come back to this for another year when you can make millions?
College life is much more enjoyable than NBA D-league life, which is where he will be for a season of two if he leaves after this year.

If A&M is as good next year as we are projected to be, he will have even more recognition nationally on a great team and work his way higher in the draft through that.

There is pretty big separation in salary even within the first half if the first round. This is a deep dract class and next year's may not be as deep. Could work his way up the board and potentially start out on an actual roster instead of D-leaguem.

Parents may want him to stay another year in college to mature.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Here ya go:

0% < odds < 100%
bobinator
AG
In my opinion we don't know yet because we don't know what actual scouts are going to tell him. Though him jacking up four threes against Florida makes me think he's definitely trying to already prove to the scouts that he can stretch the floor.

So hard to say for sure, you can't trust mock drafts this time of year
Method Man
An AAU guy I know said he's gone. Now that doesn't make it so, but he knows a lot more people than I do.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Here ya go:

50% < odds < 100%
GE
AG
Method Man said:

An AAU guy I know said he's gone. Now that doesn't make it so, but he knows a lot more people than I do.
As of the Arizona game one of Robert's AAU coaches said he wasn't considering leaving. Obviously the situation has changed since then.
Method Man
I'm just passing on what I've heard. I'm not passing it off as fact (this time).
jml2621
Method Man said:

0=Mama < AAU < 100%
Serious Lee
bobinator said:

Though him jacking up four threes against Florida makes me think he's definitely trying to already prove to the scouts that he can stretch the floor.

interesting observation
CactusThomas
AG
I predict that he stays another year
txag72
AG
Quote:

Quote:

bobinator said:
Though him jacking up four threes against Florida makes me think he's definitely trying to already prove to the scouts that he can stretch the floor.
interesting observation
And very poor results. Pissed the coach off, hurt the team, and proved he can't shoot it.
jml2621
Uncle Gunnysack said:

bobinator said:

interesting observation

The reality is RW would be spending next year on buses in the NBADL. Getting paid better than most in the league. It's a man's league. I'd like to see him grow physically and mentally

The 2018 draft is far weaker. There a bump up in the rookie pay scale. Plus if Williams goes Top 3, he can rake in literally tens of million$ more in salary and advertisement. He's respectful, positive, has a good personality. Just needs more cocoon time...and he can be a superstar on the league.
jml2621
txag72 said:

Quote:

Quote:

bobinator said:
interesting observation
And very poor results. Pissed the coach off, hurt the team, and proved he can't shoot it.

Well that's sure to keep him around.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

o expand)
Quote:
interesting observation
txag72 said:

Well that's sure to keep him around.
He's 0-13 for the season from 3. I see no reason for a no. 14 at all. But then I was convinced at no. 10, no. 11, no. 12............
mallen
AG
He's just a young kid at this point. He could definitely use another year of maturing in a relatively low pressure environment. Robert is surprisingly well spoken but I laughed when he was interviewed post-game recently:

ESPN announcer: Why were the Aggies able to have success tonight?
Robert: I think we just got back to having fun. We were all joking around before the game and just felt relaxed and didn't take things too seriously.

(a few questions later)

ESPN announcer: What do the Aggies need to do to continue winning games going forward?
Robert: We just need to be better focused and take things more seriously. Sometimes I think we're not serious enough.
TheChameleon
AG
He's as good as gone.
Gil Renard
AG
Hop had it 60/40 he gone i think. Far from good as gone
mhayden
If he's a consensus 15-20 pick, I'd say 75% chance he leaves.

Consensus Top 15? 95% chance.
OasisMan
AG
Hard to say without knowing his background, does he have a baby mama / mama / brother / sister that needs help financially

It would be a great investment on his part to stay another year, develop his shot, cut down on TOs, bulk up, and get drafted around #5
mhayden
If they are looking at it from purely a financial standpoint, then he's gone. The difference between being the #14 pick and the #5 pick is less than $3m over 2 years.

An average player can/will make that in 1 year on his first NBA contract... So if you are assuming you are eventual NBA talent, staying another year in school to make an extra $1.5m/year on your rookie contract doesn't make financial sense, especially when you consider the potential pitfalls of another year.

His chances of staying revolve around his draft projection being late first-round and/or him really enjoying A&M so much he wants to stay another year.
LeFraud
Gil Renard said:

Lol was my first reaction, as I thought it was a joke

But then I realized it was serious

Lolz
t - cam
AG
My prediction is he is gone and won't spend a minute in the d league. His defense is going to be an asset right out of the gate for an NBA team.
LeFraud
Also, fwiw. IF Williams ends up not making a roster, he will be playing in the G-league, not the D-league
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop's '60-40 he is gone' guess, for those posters who didn't read his update a few weeks back, apparently Hop sat next to William's former high school principle at a game. And that person told Hop that he/she thought Robert would stay at A&M for another year because Robert's mother didn't feel comfortable about him being ready maturity wise to enter the pro lifestyle after just 1 year in college (at 18/19 years old). He apparently came to College Station from a small town in LA where he lived/played in a fishbowl.

Another possible thing to note about Robert Williams is that when his recruiting stock blew up before his senior season, he apparently had a lot of people trying to push him to transfer from the small HS in North Caddo to a bigger school where he could get more attention and exposure. And Robert and his family decided to instead stick with his old teammates at the small school and try to win a title there.

Long story short on the above paragraph, from what I have read and heard about Robert and his family, there has not been much indication of them having been overly fascinated with hype and jumping around from school to school or AAU team to AAU team trying to chase attention. Seem to be a fairly grounded bunch. And he didn't come to A&M with the already preconceived intention of being a one-and-done. As is the mindset of say most of the Kentucky recruits.

That said, obviously if the actual NBA scouts/coaches/GMs this April (not the Mock drafts but the real people making decisions) are giving him solid information that he'll go high in the first round, or if street agents have really gotten into his ear, then you gotta think the probability of him declaring for the draft is pretty high.

We'll see how it plays out. given his raw talent, obviously there is a decent chance that he is gone. But it doesn't seem to be a 100% situation either, looking at things from a distance. Without peronsally knowing Robert and his family's thought process (which can obviously change over time), kind of hard to even speculate much on such a thing.

t - cam
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop's '60-40 he is gone' guess, for those posters who didn't read his update a few weeks back, apparently Hop sat next to William's former high school principle at a game. And that person told Hop that he/she thought Robert would stay at A&M for another year because Robert's mother didn't feel comfortable about him being ready maturity wise to enter the pro lifestyle after just 1 year in college (at 18/19 years old). He apparently came to College Station from a small town in LA where he lived/played in a fishbowl.

Another possible thing to note about Robert Williams is that when his recruiting stock blew up before his senior season, he apparently had a lot of people trying to push him to transfer from the small HS in North Caddo to a bigger school where he could get more attention and exposure. And Robert and his family decided to instead stick with his old teammates at the small school and try to win a title there.

Long story short on the above paragraph, from what I have read and heard about Robert and his family, there has not been much indication of them having been overly fascinated with hype and jumping around from school to school or AAU team to AAU team trying to chase attention. Seem to be a fairly grounded bunch. And he didn't come to A&M with the already preconceived intention of being a one-and-done. As is the mindset of say most of the Kentucky recruits.

That said, obviously if the actual NBA scouts/coaches/GMs this April (not the Mock drafts but the real people making decisions) are giving him solid information that he'll go high in the first round, or if street agents have really gotten into his ear, then you gotta think the probability of him declaring for the draft is pretty high.

We'll see how it plays out. His raw talent and how things are playing out, obviously there is a decent chance that he is gone. But it doesn't seem to be a 100% situation either, looking at things from a distance. Without peronsally knowing Robert and his family's thought process (which can obviously change over time), pretty hard to even speculate much on such a thing.

Just like NFL mock drafts they are usually pretty close. He is already projected by most in the 10-15 range and every time these new projections come out he seems to jump another 5 or so spots. He's trending in a direction that indicates the more the people learn about or study him the more they like him. It seems unlikely at this point he will be sliding backwards.

So hopefully your first two points end up being enough to convince him to stay as next years team should be SEC challengers and a legit elite eight type team.
SWAGBOT
AG
I think the mock drafts may be ranking him a bit too high. His lack of ability on the offensive end from beyond 10 feet would be worrisome to me if I was an NBA scout. Not as concerning if he was 7 feet tall.

Obviously I'm a little biased and really hope he stays, but if going to the NBA is the best move for him and his family, I support him.
GrayMatter
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

bobinator said:

interesting observation
One of those he was wide open and another one I noticed came at the end of the shot clock so he had to take it. If you ask me that's kind of reaching.
mhayden
I mentioned it a week or so before the Florida game -- it's not a new occurrence, but something that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. Looks to be in an attempt to "show his range" to scouts (of which there have been plenty at the games).
Hop
Staff
AG
LeFraud said:

Gil Renard said:

Lol was my first reaction, as I thought it was a joke

But then I realized it was serious

Lolz

Aside from you acting like a child, I'll clarify. I put the odds at 65-35 and that was several weeks ago when his projection was #16-20. I have said all along if he projects higher that he will go pro...and will likely go pro either way.

Hop
Staff
AG
SWAGBOT said:

I think the mock drafts may be ranking him a bit too high. His lack of ability on the offensive end from beyond 10 feet would be worrisome to me if I was an NBA scout. Not as concerning if he was 7 feet tall.

Obviously I'm a little biased and really hope he stays, but if going to the NBA is the best move for him and his family, I support him.

There are players in the NBA that have had long, lucrative careers without an offensive game (Rodman). Plus, with his wingspan and strong hands he plays like a 7-footer.
GrayMatter
AG
free_mhayden said:

I mentioned it a week or so before the Florida game -- it's not a new occurrence, but something that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. Looks to be in an attempt to "show his range" to scouts (of which there have been plenty at the games).
of course he could be thinking that between a potential turnover and a made 3 point shot, he figures might as well take a shot. Right?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.