SIAP Or Asked: Odds on Robert Williams Leaves

8,904 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
4ZORRO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I said it on the game thread from Saturday... He's going this year, and he's going to go higher than 14.
His ball skills have improved so much this year but he need's another year. Whether he returns depends upon whether he enjoys being a student or not.. Returning will improve his Draft position.
Bunk Moreland
Disagree completely. It's a major risk if you're going to go top 12 or so and possibly around 8 to come back and gamble your health and many other things that can happen in a year just to move up 3-5 spots.

That virtually never happens. I'd have to imagine lottery picks who come back to school don't see major improvements in draft position the following year, and I'd bet on the average it hurts more times than it helps.

While it wasn't smooth, he jumped a passing lane the other day, then took it 3/4 of the court for a layup and 1, showing great touch and control in a move that usually ends up embarrassing a big man more times than not stumbling or traveling.

For a guy with his freakish ability, that play is like a cherry on top for scouts.

I hope I'm completely wrong on RW but I see him at 8-11 and he'd be an idiot to come back.
Method Man
numetalbizkitaggie said:

One huge change I've noticed is that he knows where he needs to be on the floor more now. At the UCLA game you're mentioning, he was fairly stagnant on the floor, sometimes unsure whether to dribble and drive, pass, or jack up a three. He's more decisive, is the way to phrase it, I guess.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

How has Robert Williams developed outside of BK realizing he needs to play him more? They were talking about him as a sleeper lotto pick as soon as the UCLA game. He's about the same player.
his passing and general court awareness has noticeably improved IMO as the season has progressed. The staff probably never actually speaks to him in practice or games though. Probably any improvement that we've seen was just 'roll the ball out' and let him play kind of stuff and thank goodness the kid is able to push himself at his own pace and learn everything on his own. If only we could recruit an entire roster of such self sufficient players, maybe we wouldn't even need basketball coaches at all. Just support staff to handle travel arrangements and so forth. Could then use all of that savings to pay for better football coaches.

He was a decent passer before. It's not like he has an outside shot or any post moves. He still doesn't really box out.

By all means, him knowing where to be on the court is an amazing skill that he was never going to pick up with PT.
mhayden
Quote:

That virtually never happens. I'd have to imagine lottery picks who come back to school don't see major improvements in draft position the following year, and I'd bet on the average it hurts more times than it helps.

I've actually mentioned this numerous times but people tend to ignore the thing that lead them to outcomes they don't want to see.

If you're a lottery pick and you return to school, chances are your draft stock will drop or stay the same -- very few improve.
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

How has Robert Williams developed outside of BK realizing he needs to play him more? They were talking about him as a sleeper lotto pick as soon as the UCLA game. He's about the same player.
his passing and general court awareness has noticeably improved IMO as the season has progressed. The staff probably never actually speaks to him in practice or games though. Probably any improvement that we've seen was just 'roll the ball out' and let him play kind of stuff and thank goodness the kid is able to push himself at his own pace and learn everything on his own. If only we could recruit an entire roster of such self sufficient players, maybe we wouldn't even need basketball coaches at all. Just support staff to handle travel arrangements and so forth. Could then use all of that savings to pay for better football coaches.

He was a decent passer before. It's not like he has an outside shot or any post moves. He still doesn't really box out.

By all means, him knowing where to be on the court is an amazing skill that he was never going to pick up with PT.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Thoughts and prayers to William's pro career if he gets drafted by the Sacramento Kings, who many seem to feel right now may be the worst run organization in professional sports.
DTP02
AG
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

If he were on the Warriors, after a bit of seasoning I bet Williams could flourish playing the JaVale McGee role, his main responsiblity being rim protection and catching about 6-8 lob dunks per game. Though of course there is no bigger athletic freak than that McGee guy. Listed at 7'1" with a 7'6" wingspan...McGee is Robert Williams but 3-4 inches taller with yet another inch or two of wingspan. It is ridiculous some of those lobs that McGee is able to complete. Of course, there are no other places quite like Golden State ha ha.
Capela in Houston's wide open offense, Ibaka playing the 5 for OKC teams of the past, are a couple of valid comps imo

I think Ibaka is the best comparison I can see. He developed that outside shot in the NBA, and I think Williams will as well. Williams has great touch and the willingness to work, I think he will eventually develop at least a solid outside shot.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

That is what I'm saying! They should only recruit guys like that! These basketball coaches make it unnecessarily hard on themselves IMO when they recruit high schoolers who need any sort of skill development or adult guidance.
dan967p
AG
Bump from the Op:
Just wanted to say, "Thank you Robert Williams for proving everyone that you want to stay."
dan967p
AG
Aren't you glad you were wrong?
jml2621
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
Mhayden proves why he is smarter than everyone else again
DTP02
AG
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Hayden can be a real beating to read and his volume and inability to let things go ruins a lot of threads, but IIRC his main point on this thread was that with where Williams was projected to go, the decision to return shouldn't be primarily financially motivated.

And ultimately, this wasn't primarily a financially motivated decision. I'm sure they hope he will come out of this decision well financially, but this is primarily a life decision not a money decision.

I know that shocks some people and some have even criticized Williams for making a foolish decision. To me that's just a bizarre criticism and says a lot about the critic, because if you've never made a major life decision where money wasn't the big driver, you haven't lived much of a life.
t - cam
AG
DTP02 said:

ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Hayden can be a real beating to read and his volume and inability to let things go ruin a lot of threads, but IIRC his main point on this thread was that with where Williams was projected to go, the decision to return shouldn't be primarily financially motivated.

Ultimately, this wasn't primarily a financially motivated decision. I'm sure they hope he will come out of this decision well fincancially, but this is primarily a life decision not a money decision.

I know that shocks some people and some will even criticize Williams for making a foolish decision. To me that's such a bizarre criticism and says a lot about the critic, because if you've never made a major life decision where money wasn't the big driver, you haven't lived much of a life.
With his stock steadily rising it's hard to believe this would have been a financial decision. This feels to me to be 100% based on a kid that didn't want to go college and a good family that felt that was probably in the kids best interest.

It's not common for stock to rise by coming back. Almost every player that decided to come back this past season has seen their position drop.
Hop
Staff
AG
Mhayden kept the door open for a non-financial decision and had a reasonable position. Others basically said anybody who thinks Williams is not 100% gone is crazy and were pretty arrogant about it.
jml2621
A whole lotta crow to be eaten out there. Do ya'll want a vinegar and pepper sauce or mango-jalapeno salsa with that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.