Thon Maker declaring for the draft

30,804 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DukeMu
Iced-T14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If allowed, he's going to go #1 overall
salvatore_ditmars
MarcAg
AG
MarcAg
AG
And slow your roll on #1 pick. Most people dont even project him as a lottery pick in the 2017 nba draft
GE
AG
On what basis would he be eligible? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the rules
MarcAg
AG
The nba requires you to be 19 and one year out of high school. He is 19 and apparently is like in a 6th year prep school. So he graduated HS last year apparently.
tremble
EliteZags
AG
think he'd go ahead of Ron Baker?
bobinator
AG
He will not go #1 overall unless he does something to blow everyone out of the water between now and the draft. He's probably a mid to late first rounder.

This whole thing was a joke though, his handler maintained to everyone for years that he was going to college. He's already 19 years old.

It's going to be an interesting ruling by the NBA though because I wonder if we'll see more kids just go to prep school for a year and then jump to the NBA instead of going to college for a year.
GE
AG
I don't like the one and done thing. It's a half-measure. If a kid is ready for the NBA, let them go directly out of high school. I like the baseball system where you're eligible straight out of high school and after your junior year of college. Would provide more stability to college teams, let the guys who are ready to go immediately go without wasting a year, and give kids who go the college route ample time to get a degree or get enough hours so they can finish it later.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
And slow your roll on #1 pick. Most people dont even project him as a lottery pick in the 2017 nba draft
Wherever you saw that.....wow. That's absolutely,100% ridiculous. This kid will be an MVP candidate within his first 5 years in the NBA.

However, if he actually does skip college basketball, it might take him 6-7 years.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
Wherever you saw that.....wow. That's absolutely,100% ridiculous. This kid will be an MVP candidate within his first 5 years in the NBA.

However, if he actually does skip college basketball, it might take him 6-7 years.
Most mock drafts have Thon Maker outside (or at the very end) of the lottery. I'd say Marc is more right than you are, at this point.

And your MVP candidate prediction seems pretty absurd, considering the talent already in the NBA at this point.
Hickory High
AG
To each their own. And I know about the talent. IMO Thon is better at 19 than Giannis Antetokounmpo was at 19. You can quote me on my prediction.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
This kid will be an MVP candidate within his first 5 years in the NBA.

Lots of hyped guys with great potential don't pan out for some reason. Injuries, mediocre work ethic (just happy being an NBA player, doesn't have same competitive drive truly elite guys do), lands with a team/coaching staff that is not a good fit, does something dumb off the court, etc. The possible land mines are endless.
Hickory High
AG
Well yeah, I just think that if major injuries don't happen and he stays the "straight and narrow", he'll be incredible.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
To each their own. And I know about the talent. IMO Thon is better at 19 than Giannis Antetokounmpo was at 19. You can quote me on my prediction.
After I quote you on your prediction, then what?
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:
Haha I dunno, some posters like to say that to hold you to something. So just bring it up again in 6 years, what's so hard about that?
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
Then the two of you can wait 5 to 7 years and if by some miracle both are still active on TexAgs, AND remember the quote of the prediction, one of you gets to say I told you so.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Do we also have permission to quote you on your prediction that a&m would go 17-12 this year?
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:

Do we also have permission to quote you on your prediction that a&m would go 17-12 this year?
Yes of course! I'm not above being wrong.
Hickory High
AG
http://grantland.com/features/fixing-the-nba-playoffs/

Here's an article where Bill Simmons half jokingly, half seriously says Thon will eventually be in the MVP discussion (about halfway down).
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
http://grantland.com/features/fixing-the-nba-playoffs/

Here's an article where Bill Simmons half jokingly, half seriously says Thon will eventually be in the MVP discussion (about halfway down).
Wait, what? You are throwing out a random two year old reference from Bill Simmons as evidence to support your case?
Hickory High
AG
"evidence to support my case"? Are we in court? No its just something I remembered off the top of my head. Don't really feel like doing more in depth "investigating" right now.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haha I dunno, some posters like to say that to hold you to something. So just bring it up again in 6 years, what's so hard about that?
Random guy on internet makes absurd prediction, come back in 6 years to talk to him about it. Sounds riveting.
Hickory High
AG
Let's hope we both have more significant events transpire in our lives than waiting 6 years for this.
mdanyc03
AG
I remember reading some things about Freddy Adu being the next Pele.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
I remember reading some things about Freddy Adu being the next Pele.
Give it time, let him develop!!!!!!!

...I do vividly remember seeing this magazine on the shelf in the library as a kid....oops
MarcAg
AG
I'm not debating how good he will be, I'm just saying most people don't have him as a lottery pick in the 2017 draft.
Method Man
quote:
quote:

#Unfollow
Method Man
Is Giannis an MVP candidate?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
I'm not debating how good he will be, I'm just saying most people don't have him as a lottery pick in the 2017 draft.

Chad ford did a survey of "NBA people" and projects him between somewhere between a late lottery and 2nd round pick
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:

Not quite yet, but he took the "next step" a couple of months ago and has been on an absolute tear since assuming PG/ball handler duties. Averaged 18.4 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 7.2 assists in March and had a few triple doubles. He could easily be a top ten player next year, which I'd say puts him into the conversation.

I know jack crap about Thon Maker, but I'm leary of saying a 19 year old 7 footer who weighs only 210-215 is going to be an NBA mvp candidate in a few years. He's still got a lot of physical maturing to do and nobody knows how he'll handle that.
Hickory High
AG
quote:

Now? No. But its his third year. In his fifth year? Yes.

Don't be dumb.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:

I know jack crap about Thon Maker, but I'm leary of saying a 19 year old 7 footer who weighs only 210-215 is going to be an NBA mvp candidate in a few years. He's still got a lot of physical maturing to do and nobody knows how he'll handle that.

wacarnolds
AG
Comparing him to Kevin Durant is about as dumb as it gets on this board

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.