Thon Maker declaring for the draft

30,933 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DukeMu
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All jokes aside, glad to finally get a chance to see him play
wacarnolds
AG
And props to him and his agents/handlers for playing the situation perfectly
Pumpkinhead
AG
The cynic in me wonders if the age thing was thrown out there by some team just as some smoke. You just can't seem to trust what teams are saying/doing before a draft.
Hickory High
AG
I don't even know what I said or didn't say, but I always knew he was a top 10 talent, especially in this year's weak draft. Never thought he'd go late.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
The cynic in me wonders if the age thing was thrown out there by some team just as some smoke. You just can't seem to trust what teams are saying/doing before a draft.
Probably. Ulterior motives abound when any info is put out the public space
TyHolden
AG
Rumor floating that okc floating Westbrook for Thon straight up...
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:

Paint fumes are a hell of a drug.
JYDog90
AG
Most of those Sudanese refugee kids don't have any idea how old they are.
Tango Mike
quote:

You completely made that up. Not only is it completely stupid, but it would also guarantee KD goes to San Antonio (or wherever else) this summer. Westbrook is OKC's hope to keep KD
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nba-draft-team-grades-lakers-bucks-76ers-celtics-timberwolves

SI folks are giving the Bucks an 'F' grade for picking Maker with the 10th pick.

quote:
As inexplicable as the Papagiannis pick was, the Thon Maker pick was worse. The Kings are always going to be the Kings as long as Vlade and Vivek are in charge, but the Bucks could actually be good. You can't just throw away top10 picks like they're nothing.

quote:
There's a way to see Maker as a case of the Bucks doubling down on the weirdness of their roster and putting together the most sciencefiction lineup possible, and maybe that's how it'll play out, but I don't see it. Maker should have been a second rounder, not a top 10 pick. He has raw tools, but not many skills, and this week there were allegations that he's three years older than he claims. These are not good signs. Really, almost every move Milwaukee's made since drafting Giannis and Jabaritrading for MCW, signing Greg Monroe, trading for Grievis Vasquez, inexplicably drafting Rashad Vaughnhas been a failure. Worse, most of these moves were clearly bad ideas at the time.

Mostly, it bums me out because Giannis is absolutely for real, and Milwaukee should be one of the most entertaining teams in the league. But whoever is running things is screwing this up.

Hickory High
AG
That will be a funny article to bring up in 4-5 years when he's a great player.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
It seems like the analysts knock on the pick is that they feel Maker is not a guy who will be ready to do much for at least a few years. They seem him as a long-term project.

Even if 5 years from now he is a good player, if he isn't playing for the Bucks by that point then depending on what they got for him in return, it still might be considered in hind-site a 'bust' pick by Milwaukee. Who knows.
'
Tango Mike
quote:

If he's anything less than an All-Star quality by year 3 then he's a waste of a lottery pick. Lottery picks aren't supposed to be used on 5 year project maybes. See also Swift, Stromile
Hickory High
AG
That's not a "one size fits all" rule though. This draft class was pretty poor. Not a lot of options.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
It seems like the analysts knock on the pick is that they feel Maker is not a guy who will be ready to do much for at least a few years. They seem him as a long-term project.

Even if 5 years from now he is a good player, if he isn't playing for the Bucks by that point then depending on what they got for him in return, it still might be considered in hind-site a 'bust' pick by Milwaukee. Who knows.
'
As long as he shows promise by year 3 and isn't a knucklehead (which it appears he's not), he'll get a 4th year from Milwaukee. And then Milwaukee almost assuredly would match any offers after year 4, so I'd expect him to be a Buck if he's good.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
That's not a "one size fits all" rule though. This draft class was pretty poor. Not a lot of options.

So we should bank on the 10th pick in a poor draft class becoming a league mvp?
wacarnolds
AG
Reddit thread detailing how Thon could possibly be 21-23. Claims he graduated HS in Australia in 2010
Hickory High
AG
quote:
Reddit thread detailing how Thon could possibly be 21-23. Claims he graduated HS in Australia in 2010

If that's all true (and it looks like it very well is), it changes everything. Maybe that's why his handler wanted Thon to avoid college so bad: he knew colleges would figure that out during enrollment stuff.

Even bigger conspiracy: maybe he NBA knew about this? Would explain why they just decided to overlook their age requirement that they strictly enforce.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Even bigger conspiracy: maybe he NBA knew about this? Would explain why they just decided to overlook their age requirement that they strictly enforce.
that's a great angle
Method Man
Did Thon commit statutory rape???
CactusThomas
AG
I heard he's already past his prime.
Hickory High
AG
Thon just went from "sky is the limit" potential to "he better figure it out quick" potential.
CactusThomas
AG
Relax, sabonis had a late start too and he still got in some good seasons.
Tango Mike
quote:
Thon just went from "sky is the limit" potential to "he better figure it out quick" potential.
So are you recanting on the certain MVP prediction?
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:
So are you recanting on the certain MVP prediction?

I mean, of course.
Deputy Travis Junior
So Mr. Maker's first season is over. Averaged a paltry 4/2 over the regular season, but improved toward the end and then averaged 6.6/3.4 during the playoffs. I'll admit that his 3 point shooting was a lot better than I expected it to be (38% during the regular season, though with very limited volume).

I don't know if he's on the "All-Star within a few years" track, but he at least showed some potential.
Method Man
He's ok guys. Went from HS cheese dick ball to NBA. I don't think he's an MVP candidate but won't write him off yet.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

He's ok guys. Went from HS cheese dick ball to NBA. I don't think he's an MVP candidate but won't write him off yet.

It is *probably* safe to write him off as a future NBA MVP candidate and Kevin Durant-ish as some predicted in this thread....if only Lavar Ball had been his dad though and raised him...what could have been...
Method Man
EliteZags
AG
Soo Ron Baker actually did have a better season
wacarnolds
AG
Averaging 5/3/1 as a "20" year old

Durant put up 25/7/3 at the same age
CactusThomas
AG
Nice bump. Should be bumped every April.
Double Diamond
Might be older than 20.
wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

Might be older than 20.

Dynamite drop in
Deputy Travis Junior
I love this thread. Thon is an MVP caliber player and Giannis is not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.