Thon Maker declaring for the draft

30,810 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DukeMu
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Comparing him to Kevin Durant is about as dumb as it gets on this board
Even though that's what lots of people are already doing? Considering he can handle the ball, shoot, post up, is actually 2 inches taller, and is listed as a forward? Something isn't dumb just because you say it is.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
Even though that's what lots of people are already doing? Considering he can handle the ball, shoot, post up, is actually 2 inches taller, and is listed as a forward? Something isn't dumb just because you say it is.
Then lots of people are dumb. Durant is a basketball shooting savant. There is almost no chance Thon Maker comes close to matching what Durant can do on the basketball court.
USNAggie44
Thon will never make an all-NBA team. Quote me
Hickory High
AG
I just don't understand the basis for the conclusion some of you are making. I've seen the guy play in person. I've read stuff from scouts. This is literally the first place I've ever read options on him like this.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
I just don't understand the basis for the conclusion some of you are making. I've seen the guy play in person. I've read stuff from scouts. This is literally the first place I've ever read options on him like this.
Care to provide any links to scouts making MVP predictions?
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:
Care to provide any links to scouts making MVP predictions?

Don't have the time to. If you thinking I'm lying that's fine.
mdanyc03
AG
Everybody thinks he is a very good prospect. You are the one making absurd projections for a projected fringe lottery pick
Hickory High
AG
quote:
Everybody thinks he is a very good prospect. You are the one making absurd projections for a projected fringe lottery pick

I did not make that projection. What I think is absurd is that apparently people think he wouldn't even be a lottery pick in the 2017 draft.

THE GUY IS A FIVE STAR RECRUIT. Why is it even that outrageous to think he could be a literally pick when 1. Teams draft on potential now anyways and 2. This is a bad draft year?
wacarnolds
AG
I don't think you're lying. I think you're overhyping the guy.

I looked around and cannot find a single person saying he's an 'elite of the elite' prospect. He's backed out of the Nike Hoop Summit and most predict he won't do much (if anything) at the combine besides take measurements. He could have been in college this year, but backed out. Now he's trying to sneak into the draft this year because it's poorly regarded.

Very little about that says "Future MVP candidate"
mdanyc03
AG
I am referring to the fact that you projected him to be an mvp candidate
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:

I did not make that projection. What I think is absurd is that apparently people think he wouldn't even be a lottery pick in the 2017 draft.

THE GUY IS A FIVE STAR RECRUIT. Why is it even that outrageous to think he could be a literally pick when 1. Teams draft on potential now anyways and 2. This is a bad draft year?
There are 15-20 5 star prospects every year that don't make the NBA lottery.
wacarnolds
AG
And absolutely no one is saying it would be outrageous for him to be a lottery pick
Hickory High
AG
quote:
And absolutely no one is saying it would be outrageous for him to be a lottery pick

Uhhh
quote:
Most people dont even project him as a lottery pick in the 2017 nba draft
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:

Uhhh
quote:
Most people dont even project him as a lottery pick in the 2017 nba draft

Surely you understand that those statements are in no way inconsistent?

wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Surely you understand that those statements are in no way inconsistent?
Maybe it's not your basketball IQ that should be questioned, but rather your understanding of the english language.

MarcAg made a factual statement, that as of 4/4/16, most projections have Thon Maker outside of the 2016/2017 NBA lottery, so people such as the OP should not predict that he goes #1 in this year's draft.

You've somehow turned that into people saying it would be outrageous for him to go in the lottery, which is a gross mischaracterization of what he stated.
mdanyc03
AG
Are you talking to me?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Are you talking to me?
no, sorry, I meant that for basketball nostradamus
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:
Are you talking to me?
no, sorry, I meant that for basketball nostradamus

You all are the ones calling me dumb, and yet you say I'm the elitist?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
You all are the ones calling me dumb, and yet you say I'm the elitist?
Your Durant comparison is dumb. Quote me on that.
Hickory High
AG
I'm done with this. I didn't even care about it that much. Discussion tends to devolve into ad hominem trash anyways.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
I'm done with this. I didn't even care about it that much. Discussion tends to devolve into ad hominem trash anyways.
so you can call other people's opinions ridiculous, but yours are above reproach?
bobinator
AG
quote:
so you can call other people's opinions ridiculous, but yours are above reproach?
This is like the tagline for the entire internet.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
This is like the tagline for the entire internet.
LawHall88
AG
In unrelated news, Arizona State just terminated the contract of assistant Brian Merritt, who was the lead recruiter for Maker (Maker referred to Merritt as "my guy"). Just a crazy coincidence I'm sure.

Also, Jeff Goodman tweeted that Maker decided to go to the NBA because his handler was concerned the NCAA "might ask for receipts."
mdanyc03
AG
Is he the lead recruiter for WMW as well? Considering they are Australian junior national teammates I assume that is likely the case.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:

I'm doubtful that a 210 pound 7 footer will have much success posting up fellow big men in the nba. Far more likely is he will get bulldozed. (BTW, as skinny as Durant looks, he weighs 230+ now).

As for his shooting, during the 13-14 season (sorry max preps only has old stays) Maker made 26 of 93 3 pointers (28%) despite being able to shoot over the top of just about everyone and playing with a closer 3 point line. I don't think that comparing that stat to Durant, who's always been a fantastic shooter, is reasonable.

I have no idea how well he handles the ball so I won't comment on that :-D
MarcAg
AG
quote:
Don't under value the dumbness of this board!!
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Don't under value the dumbness of this board!!
Pumpkinhead
AG
There seems to be a lot of skepticism about Thon Maker by the NBA scouts, executives, and NBA/CBB writters quoted in this article.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/05/thon-maker-nba-draft-analysis-prospects
mdanyc03
AG
Brutal
wacarnolds
AG
Hickory needs to educate these fools
Deputy Travis Junior
HE
"people say he's the next Durant"
SI
The hype surrounding Maker has long since crossed over from absurd to "just stop." His offensive game is very limited.

HH
Considering he can handle the ball...
SI
Thom has a weak handle

HH
Thom can shoot like Durant
SI
Thom has a shaky shot... "He likes to step out and shoot jump shot and he's not a very good jump-shooter, I don't think. His total offensive game needs to improve before he can even step on the court."

HH
Thom can post up
SI
"his lack of strength will be a serious issue for at least the next few years... He's also not exactly menacing in the paint"

Jeez. Just brutal. It's okay hickory, it seems a lot of people were hoodwinked by his well edited highlights. But that's why you need to take them with a grain of salt. They're heavily edited, just like Soviet propaganda was.
mdanyc03
AG
No, hickory watched him play live and he knows talent
bobinator
AG
The "anonymous scout/exec/coach/etc" is the dumbest thing in "journalism," and yes I know I've posted about this before but I'll continue to do it because of how absolutely stupid it is.

The whole entire point of a quote is that someone who has some expertise on the subject is willing to put their name by it.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
The "anonymous scout/exec/coach/etc" is the dumbest thing in "journalism," and yes I know I've posted about this before but I'll continue to do it because of how absolutely stupid it is.

The whole entire point of a quote is that someone who has some expertise on the subject is willing to put their name by it.

I think anonymous quotes are fine, as long as you're giving the whole story and other just cherry picking juicy quotes.

But you seem to be saying that the article would have been better served by only using attributed quotes, which would likely rule out any actual NBA personnel. And I would disagree with that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.