Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

60,020 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bbqAg09
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good gluten free dough recipe? I used to make homemade pizzas all the time but haven't since we found out about his issue. Would love to find a good one, but not so sure a good gluten free pizza dough is even possible.

EDIT: Seems I deleted the part about my 5 year old having Celiac...
Chipotlemonger
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Anyone have a good gluten free dough recipe? I used to make homemade pizzas all the time but haven't since we found out about his issue. Would love to find a good one, but not so sure a good gluten free pizza dough is even possible.
It is most definitely possible. I do not have a recipe for it off hand though.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Check out King Arthur's recipe website. Their recipes are legit, and I'm sure they have what you are looking for.

EDIT: Looks like they have 15 different gluten free pizza crust recipes.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/search?query=gluten%20free%20pizza#recipe_index
fav13andac1)c
AG
Had a bunch of family over so it was pizza night. Dough was cold fermented for 3 days. 60% hydration. Lots of micro-bubbles.

BourbonAg
AG
Got an Ooni for Christmas. Making pizza has become one of our favorite activities.
agcrock2005
AG
Looks awesome!
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
Tried my hand at Detroit style pizza today. No doubt favorite I've made. I feel like death right now but it was worth it
Max06
AG
Didn't rise/rest for nearly as long as I'd like, and the steel was hot but it turned out pretty OK

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Going in hot!

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
How do you like that oven? I've been mulling selling my Ooni Pro and replacing it with the Koda.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
It's super convenient. Spark the propane up and it's ready to go in about 10 minutes. Not a lot of cleanup and legs fold for storage. I would prefer some wood fired smoky flavor on the crust, but it's a trade off.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Even if you aren't happy with your pizza, it's still pizza. And pizza is always good.
Sethtevious
Nobody Knows My Name said:

I have an abundance of garden tomatoes (celebrity variety). Are these worth turning into pizza sauce and if so, any good methods or recipes worth trying?
It would mean making a twice-cooked sauce, which works for Mark Iacono, but I don't see the point of it.

You can always make an x on the bottom of the tomatoes, toss them in boiling water, then remove, cool, and remove the skin. Blend the remaining pulp, and use that as your sauce base.
Not MarathonAg12
The Armadillo from Pinthouse Pizza with a size of Jalapeño Ranch
SpiderDude
AG
Can someone provide instruction on "cold fermenting"? Do you simply make the dough and then refrigerate it for the prescribed time?
Sethtevious
SpiderDude said:

Can someone provide instruction on "cold fermenting"? Do you simply make the dough and then refrigerate it for the prescribed time?
Yes

I generally make it, let it rise at room temp for 1-2 hrs or until it doubles in size, and then put it in the fridge until I'm ready to use it. I try to use it within 6 days.
SpiderDude
AG
Thx.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I usually just put the freshly made dough straight into the fridge. Do you prefer an initial room temp rise for a reason?
Sethtevious
fav13andac1)c said:

I usually just put the freshly made dough straight into the fridge. Do you prefer an initial room temp rise for a reason?
Yes, my reason is personal preference. I like seeing that the yeast is feeding and the dough is rising nicely before I put it in the fridge. I've tossed it in the fridge immediately before when making multiple dough balls, it doesn't make a real difference in the final product. Seeing the dough rise is one of my favorite parts of the process.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Sethtevious said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Yes, my reason is personal preference. I like seeing that the yeast is feeding and the dough is rising nicely before I put it in the fridge. I've tossed it in the fridge immediately before when making multiple dough balls, it doesn't make a real difference in the final product. Seeing the dough rise is one of my favorite parts of the process.

Sorry if I sounded facetious. Not intentional. The magic of yeast never gets old.
Sethtevious
fav13andac1)c said:

Sethtevious said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Sorry if I sounded facetious. Not intentional. The magic of yeast never gets old.
No offense taken, it is a legitimate question.
Sorrell Booke
https://imgur.com/a/MnwpCXP

Spicy salami thin crust
Three kinds of salami, carmelized red onions, garlic mushrooms, little mozz, Parm, crushed red pepper, Siracha drizzle and hot honey drizzle.
The Silverback
AG
slaughtr said:

fav13andac1)c said:

slaughtr said:

hopheadAg09 said:

Where did you get it?

I bought mine in a local shop (Idaho), but you can buy it online here:
https://us.gozney.com/products/dome
Man, that is so cool. Looks like you can do almost anything on it, not just pizzas. Also, am I right that you can use gas, charcoal, and sticks interchangeably? Finally, care to share some recipes/cooks you've done on it so far?
Made by the same people as Roccbox. Really good company. You can buy dual fuel in either propane/wood or natural gas/wood. I've had it one week. I did steaks in a cast iron skillet with wood and a pizza party with gas (just to make it easier). They also have an excellent youtube channel for recipes.
https://www.youtube.com/c/gozney

Ive only got a chance to use mine a couple times but it's freaking awesome.
slaughtr
AG
The Silverback said:

slaughtr said:

fav13andac1)c said:

slaughtr said:

hopheadAg09 said:

Where did you get it?

I bought mine in a local shop (Idaho), but you can buy it online here:
https://us.gozney.com/products/dome
Man, that is so cool. Looks like you can do almost anything on it, not just pizzas. Also, am I right that you can use gas, charcoal, and sticks interchangeably? Finally, care to share some recipes/cooks you've done on it so far?
Made by the same people as Roccbox. Really good company. You can buy dual fuel in either propane/wood or natural gas/wood. I've had it one week. I did steaks in a cast iron skillet with wood and a pizza party with gas (just to make it easier). They also have an excellent youtube channel for recipes.
https://www.youtube.com/c/gozney

Ive only got a chance to use mine a couple times but it's freaking awesome.
I have some very expensive outdoor cooking equipment including a Kalamazoo hybrid grill, Evo grill and a smoker, but I use the Gozney Dome for almost everything now. Pizza, steaks, crispy potatoes, chicken. You name it. Love this thing. And their YouTube channel is a great way to get recipes.
Sethtevious
Dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow
Sethtevious
Sethtevious
Thinnest crust I've ever made:

This is probably the closest I'll ever get to true NY-style pizza.
Sethtevious

bbqAg09
AG
First time using the wood fire option on the Gozney Dome and can't believe how easy it was to build and maintain the fire. I envisioned it being a major pain.

Sethtevious

Have you tried putting your basil on before your last turn when making a margherita?

I don't think burned basil is ideal, and I see it a lot with these wood fired ovens at home. It seems putting the basil on for the last minute would avoid this, or putting it on after you take it out, ala olive oil is also an option.
SalesAg13
AG
WOW, this looks incredible!
bbqAg09
AG
I haven't thought about it before. The basil hasn't ever tasted burnt but I'll give your suggestion a try next time and see which we like better.
slaughtr
AG
bbqAg09 said:

First time using the wood fire option on the Gozney Dome and can't believe how easy it was to build and maintain the fire. I envisioned it being a major pain.

I use the wood option quite a bit for non pizza items. A spatchcock chicken is great if you build a fire, spread it to both sides of the dome, let the temp get down to 450 or so, put the chicken in, put the front door on and slowly let the temp go down till it's done.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Holy cow
Sethtevious
Roasted red peppers and sausage

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.