Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

58,986 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bbqAg09
MichaelJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzzy said:

What is the dough recipe?

Used this dough recipe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/grilled-white-pizza-8847584.amp
fav13andac1)c
AG
Would at least try.
Buzzy
MichaelJ said:

Buzzy said:

What is the dough recipe?

Used this dough recipe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/grilled-white-pizza-8847584.amp
The recipe uses plenty of yeast, which makes me wonder if the lack of rise after thawing and baking it is because you froze the dough. I've never used frozen dough containing yeast, so I can't comment.

Wild West Pimp Style
tlfw378
AG

LondonAg89
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Vegan Pizza

Whole wheat dough, fido pizza sauce, Follow Your Heart vegan mozz, oregano dusted baked tofu, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, caramilized onion.

Sorry to ruin your Pizza thread

Dough recipe please?
Decay
AG
We like making crispy thin crust.

Buck Compton
AG
This thread inspired me to get back into pizza today. Tried a Sicilian/pan pizza. Started the dough yesterday and the sauce this afternoon. Went from memory on everything from several years ago. Turned out great.

Sauce was simple - can of whole san marzanos, garlic sauteed in olive oil, a pinch of basil, and a few red pepper flakes. I hand mashed the tomatoes once it had cooked a bit.

Crust was nice and crispy but airy and held up to the toppings. I hope you all appreciate my fine china with the wife out of town this weekend--I don't like doing dishes!

fav13andac1)c
AG
Looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing.
Buzzy

Pepperoni, peppers, onions

Actually left it in for two minutes longer than normal, so crust was crunchier than usual, but still good.
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

I salute your fine china, sir.

You're making pizza, you're not supposed to add to the dishes you need to wash at the end.

How many cups of flour did you use for that dough?
Wild West Pimp Style
Buck Compton
AG
Buzzy said:

I salute your fine china, sir.

You're making pizza, you're not supposed to add to the dishes you need to wash at the end.

How many cups of flour did you use for that dough?
About 3 1/2 cups flour to about 1 1/3 cups water (maybe a little more).

I measure out the slightly warm water and add the yeast (about 2 tsp) and a bit of agave (or sugar or honey, whatever you want) and stir it in, then wait 10 minutes and add a pinch of salt and add flour until it was the consistency I remember. This was all from memory, so I'll probably dial in some weights for the ingredients next time.

I worked the dough 2-3 times (once out of the bowl to knead it, again to fold it and make it into a ball, again into the pan) after letting it rise in between each one, so it probably absorbed more flour during that process as well.
Buzzy

Is that pan just a normal-sized baking pan?
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG

Running back and forth between the kitchen and the Aggies doesn't help a dough slide off the peel any easier. Bummer because caramelized onions and bacon are a good combo. Better luck next time.
Buzzy

We've all been there where a little error obliterates our plans for a gorgeous pizza.

How did it taste? I don't care how it ends up looking, if it tastes great, it's a success.
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
I plan on making it again
Buzzy

Pepperoni and peppers
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Double pepperoni
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Double pepperoni and hot sausage
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Prosciutto and peppers

All four pizzas were made from one batch of dough I made last Wednesday after returning from vacation, because the first thing to do upon returning home is make pizza dough, right?
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Had some stuffed shells filling left over so I used it as a topping. Delicious.

Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
Nice!
FIDO*98*
AG
Double Dave's cheesesteak Stromboli copycat. Didn't have white American so I used provolone and mozz. Definitely better with the white American, but still turned out great

Two Down
AG
Looks solid - were you just copying the concept or have a more specific recipe in hand?

I have had decent luck with mimicking the concept but have not been able to nail the exterior crust / seasoning (salt / cornmeal?).
sanitariex
AG
Just got an Ooni in and started experimenting with two basic pizzas. Still have a lot of work to do and a lot to learn, but so far I love it!

Buzzy
Wild West Pimp Style
lazuras_dc
AG
Ive been seeing a lot on OONI lately. What dough recipe are you using? Through them?

This OONI sponsored video I found looked interesting and delicious!

sanitariex
AG
I sort of combined a few. I've always tended to follow this guide:

https://www.crustkingdom.com/pizza-dough-hydration/

I looked at a few of the Ooni recipes and more or less built from scratch my own. Did more of a no knead with stretch and folds over a couple hours. Portioned it and formed dough balls, then to the fridge for a few days. Going to try doing a biga this weekend.
Buzzy
sanitariex said:

I sort of combined a few. I've always tended to follow this guide:

https://www.crustkingdom.com/pizza-dough-hydration/

I looked at a few of the Ooni recipes and more or less built from scratch my own. Did more of a no knead with stretch and folds over a couple hours. Portioned it and formed dough balls, then to the fridge for a few days. Going to try doing a biga this weekend.
Biga is always fun.
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Lunch today
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
Those look almost New-Haven style. Looks awesome!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Food board I need some help. My sister in law & family recently moved back to Houston and bought a house near us that had a very nice pizza oven installed in their outdoor kitchen. They haven't used it a ton this fall but the few times they have they've used pre-made dough (and came out very tasty).

They are hosting Christmas day for family and friends and we are doing pizza rather than a traditional holiday meal. Probably 20 people.

Pizza making was always a big part of our family tradition. Going back to my folks' poor, married college days we always had pizza on Sunday nights, almost always made by my dad. Probably 45 Sundays a year. When I got married my siblings gave me a stone, peel. We don't have it often but I enjoy the family tradition.

I make my dad's old recipe which is a super simple flour, water, salt & oil (no yeast). I don't love it. My folks don't even make it anymore, now my mom makes a leaven ed dough in the bread maker.

My wife and SIL want to do a trial run tonight. I'd like to try something new and could use a better recipe other than just whatever I Google on the internet. I'm even open to buying chunks of pre-made dough given the quantity that will need to be made.

Appreciate any input.

fav13andac1)c
AG
What type of pizza oven is it? Assuming it's fire?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yes fire. Let me ping him and ask.
fav13andac1)c
AG
You could try this one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/basic-pizza-dough-for-high-temperature-outdoor-pizza-ovens-5211302

Or this one for a New Haven style

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=63518.0

Keep in mind, I haven't tried these as I don't have a wood-fired oven. But I do trust these sources.

I realize you said tonight, but it is kind of difficult to make good pizza in a day.

Or here's a basic one I just put together through PizzApp.

2 dough balls at 250 grams each.

307 grams bread flour (100%)
184 grams water (60%)
9.2 grams salt (3%)
0.53 grams yeast

Rise for at least 8 hours at room temp.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Forno Venetzia Pronto Copper Outdoor Wood Burning Pizza Oven

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.