Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

58,972 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bbqAg09
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rustic
HTownAg98
I can assure you it is not. The dough on the bottom is thin.
Buzzy
Max06 said:

Rustic
Roy Choi is proud of you
Buzzy
I didn't account for rising humidity and ended up with a low hydration dough. You can see the cracks in the conditions. Tasted okay.

Max06
AG
Playing with par-cooked crusts. Not too shabby overall. Way better than freezing/reheating a cooked pie.

Buzzy
Quote:

Way better than freezing/reheating a cooked pie
If you want to freeze a pizza, freeze it raw, not after baking.

Best bet is to make dough with flour/baking powder/beer or sparkling water, top, then freeze. You have a homemade Digiorno pizza ready for the oven.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Buffalo chicken and pepperoni

Buzzy
Pepperoni pizza

Really pleased with the crumb on this one.

B-1 83
AG
The Wife bought me a pizza stone recently. I need to grow a set and make dough for pizza the right way.
agcrock2005
AG
Got a kid with celiac which is awful because I had nailed my pizza recipe before we found out. Baking is a ***** because most gluten free recipes taste sandy. Anyone have a good pizza dough recipe that's gluten free?
Buzzy
agcrock2005 said:

Got a kid with celiac which is awful because I had nailed my pizza recipe before we found out. Baking is a ***** because most gluten free recipes taste sandy. Anyone have a good pizza dough recipe that's gluten free?
Can he eat sourdough? I've heard some people with celiac can eat sourdough because it contains lower levels of gluten. However, any sourdough containing wheat, barley, or rye should be avoided. So if he can eat sourdough that doesn't have wheat, barley, or rye, I'd make a sourdough pizza.

Otherwise I'd search YouTube for vegan or gluten-free pizza recipes, they have a bunch.
fav13andac1)c
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Nothing wrong at ALL with cauliflower crust if you haven't tried it. It's its own thing, but still good.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Tried a couple of different toppings tonight with our next door neighbors over. One was from Mastering Pizza, the Maurizio. Fresh mozz, parm, rosemary, salt, pepper, EVOO. Good for an appetizer. Undercarriage turned out real sweet on this lightly topped one.

Also tried Kenji's Pesto Pizza. A little over-topped for me, would probably lighten up everything to keep it crisper. The flavor of the toppings were solid, though. Would make again. https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-lab-pesto-pizza
HTownAg98
agcrock2005 said:

That sucks. I don't know if this is feasible, but you might try ordering flour from a small producer in France or other parts of Europe. There was a chef in Lakeway that owned a bistro and bakery that said celiacs had no problems with his breads because his flour is different than the flour you get stateside.
NoHo Hank
AG
Tried the masterclass at the beginning of the pizza bible. Followed the instructions to the letter. Have a pizza oven on my smoker that was humming along at 750*. Then, tried to get some prep done while my wife was putting our little one down but it went faster than expected so it sat on the peel for about 10-15 minutes. Flour on the peel absorbed into the dough, and it got stuck on the peel while going into the oven. Wrecked the whole 3 day process. What a bummer. Well, next time I guess I gotta move faster once the pizza is topped and ready to go on the peel. Whoops.
Buzzy
Quote:

Wrecked the whole 3 day process.
Can you explain the three day process?
schmendeler
AG
i'm guessing he did a 48+ hour fermentation
Buzzy
schmendeler said:

Ah. Hmmmmm, I'm gonna start calling those times I forget I have dough in the fridge and let it go two days my 'three day process' now.
schmendeler
AG
hahaha. but i mean, there are recipes that call for long times like that.
NoHo Hank
AG
Buzzy said:

schmendeler said:

Ah. Hmmmmm, I'm gonna start calling those times I forget I have dough in the fridge and let it go two days my 'three day process' now.
as long as you give me credit for it, break a leg... Like I almost did kicking my smoker when I saw the pizza crumple into a ball coming off the peel.
gcracker13
AG
We did the MasterClass from The Pizza Bible Saturday night and it turned out great. Crust was a little chewy (maybe too thick?) but other than that it was fantastic. Looking forward to trying new recipes soon.

Didn't manage a pic of the pepperoni because it was eaten too quickly
HTownAg98
NoHo Hank said:

Tried the masterclass at the beginning of the pizza bible. Followed the instructions to the letter. Have a pizza oven on my smoker that was humming along at 750*. Then, tried to get some prep done while my wife was putting our little one down but it went faster than expected so it sat on the peel for about 10-15 minutes. Flour on the peel absorbed into the dough, and it got stuck on the peel while going into the oven. Wrecked the whole 3 day process. What a bummer. Well, next time I guess I gotta move faster once the pizza is topped and ready to go on the peel. Whoops.

Yep. Everything needs to be ready to go once you put the dough on the peel.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I also like to do a little shakey shake with the pizza topped on the paddle right before launch to get it unstuck. If it doesn't shimmy on the paddle, I need to dust the bottom a little more.

that's what she said?
NoHo Hank
AG
HTownAg98 said:

NoHo Hank said:

Yep. Everything needs to be ready to go once you put the dough on the peel.

I'll take screw ups you only make once for 600, Alex.
Farmer1906
AG
Jumped into the world of pizza last week. Bought a small ooni and got to work yesterday trying to figure everything out. Kept it real simple by following the dough recipe in the book the comes with the oven. Store bought sauce (Stefano) and some smoke mozzarella. Not too bad at all. The thinness was right but was still way too heavy.

Yall have any tips for a newbie?
Buzzy

Did you use too much cheese?

Trying to figure out what could make it 'too heavy' if the crust was thin to your liking....
schmendeler
AG
looks like a bit too much cheese
Farmer1906
AG
I didn't explain well enough. The crust was too dense and heavy and not airy. I'm thinking I didn't let the dough prove long enough (Am I using that right?).
schmendeler
AG
yeah, a longer proof could help. how long did the dough rise?
Farmer1906
AG
Just over 2 hours. Was on a bit of a time crunch and it matched what the recipe said.
schmendeler
AG
i'm not saying you did this, but something you need to keep in mind is that the time stated is just an estimate; the dough is ready when it's ready. if you just bake at 2 hours when it needs more time, you're going to get a dense product.

temperature, humidity, type of yeast, all of that plays a role in what happens.

Farmer1906
AG
I think you are correct and that's exactly what I did.
schmendeler
AG
honest mistake!
Buzzy
Farmer1906 said:

I didn't explain well enough. The crust was too dense and heavy and not airy. I'm thinking I didn't let the dough prove long enough (Am I using that right?).
Did you take a crumb pic?

If it was too dense, you didn't let it proof long enough.

The dough is ready when it is ready, you don't put it on a clock.

I've let dough go anywhere from an hour to six hours, it's ready when it's ready.
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
Anybody in this thread have a roccbox? Makes an amazing pie. If your serious about it's a great investment at $500.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.