Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Underrated Food Pleasures

19,395 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieBarstool
jcbaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo said:

SpiderDude said:

Allsups burrito or chimichanga.

I have to be traveling with baby wipes to take a chance on those.

Is this one of those times I am supposed to say "user name checks out"??

Btw I could kill for an Allsup's burrito about now.
Tumble Weed
If there is a country song about a 3 day old burrito being stuck under the seat of your pickup truck, then you can bet that it is pretty good.

eta:

I googled it to see what album it was on an google fed me this:

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2466747
gif
Corn bread, butter, pancake syrup
YouBet
AG
Martin Cash said:

REAL fried okra. Coated in cornmeal, not flour.

Probably my favorite dish of all time. But I'm a okra *****.
GAC06
AG
Sliced honey crisp apples with crunchy peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks

Sometimes just a jar of crunchy peanut butter and a spoon
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Anything with peanut butter is my secret shame. Or just the spoon.

Cold pasta the next day is the best when it has chilled into the shape of the container. My husband gags but I will eat cold spaghetti and cold mac and cheese out of the fridge.

Tuna sandwiches with potato chips inside!
And as mentioned before, a block of cheddar and a sleeve of crackers is unbeatable especially for dinner at the beach with a glass of wine.
schmendeler
AG
Creamy jif and Nutella mixed together and eaten with a banana.
ftworthag02
AG
My after school snack when I was a kid, some days, was graham crackers w/ peanut butter & jelly. Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. My 2.5 yr old daughter has a severe peanut allergy. No more peanut butter or peanuts in the house.
Seven Costanza
AG
Roma tomatoes and Feta.
Ag MD 84
AG
When I was a kid, my Dad showed me how to mix Peter Pan crunchy peanut butter with Karo syrup and make a "dip" to be eaten with Cheetos.
jcbaggie04
AG
Leftover pasta that has been "saved" in a ziplock to go with future meals can be "rescued" to go in a bowl with butter Parmesan and black pepper. I eat it and don't even feel bad afterwards.

Unless my wife sees and is hungry.
B-1 83
AG
Cold fried chicken
Fresh peach cobbler for breakfast - with vanilla ice cream
YouBet
AG
My dads underrated pleasure:

Make old school cornbread in an iron skillet. Crumble it up. Put it in a tall glass of sour buttermilk. Eat with a spoon.
Burn-It
AG
Flour tortilla warmed on the stove w/a slice of cheddar until just melted and tortilla slightly crispy, then picante, roll 'em up and eat, repeat..
AKA 13-0
HTownAg98
A cheap thin steak with Heinz 57.
Robert C. Christian
AG
GAC06 said:

Sliced honey crisp apples with crunchy peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks

Sometimes just a jar of crunchy peanut butter and a spoon
Spoon of crunchy peanut butter with a little honey, so good.
SPF250
AG
YouBet said:

Make old school cornbread in an iron skillet. Crumble it up. Put it in a tall glass of sour buttermilk. Eat with a spoon.
Holy crap! That was my mother's all time favorite. Are we??? Nawww.....
HtownAg92
AG
SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

My father-in-law did that too. Hard pass.
SJEAg
AG
eggs over easy, rice, bacon (or maybe spam in a pinch) all cut and mixed together...topped with soy sauce
YouBet
AG
HtownAg92 said:

SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

I've always assumed this was a depression era relic he got from his parents. They were very poor growing up in Mississippi. He loves it though! Haven't seen him eat this in ages probably because it's terrible for you!
Larry S Ross
AG
YouBet said:

HtownAg92 said:

SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

I've always assumed this was a depression era relic he got from his parents. They were very poor growing up in Mississippi. He loves it though! Haven't seen him eat this in ages probably because it's terrible for you!

I'm in my 60s and my parents, aunts uncles etc of that generation all loved the cornbread and buttermilk.
gif
YouBet said:

HtownAg92 said:

SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

My dad told me his grandparents would pour milk into a dish and leave it out on the counter until it would congeal...usually multiple days. They would then slice it and eat for dessert.
HtownAg92
AG
Oh I Like That said:

YouBet said:

HtownAg92 said:

SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

My dad told me his grandparents would pour milk into a dish and leave it out on the counter until it would congeal...usually multiple days. They would then slice it and eat for dessert.
I just gagged a little.

Yeah, my wife's family grew up pretty poor in rural Arkansas. My MIL can cook the sheet out of some Southern goodness. All from scratch with humble ingredients. Not a dang bit of it is healthy. I put on a lot of weight when we go visit.
RGV AG
AG
Larry S Ross said:

YouBet said:

HtownAg92 said:

SPF250 said:

YouBet said:

I'm in my 60s and my parents, aunts uncles etc of that generation all loved the cornbread and buttermilk.
Always heard it called a "Mississippi Milkshake" and my grandfather with roots from MS, loved eating CB and Buttermilk that way and I like it a lot too. I just always forget to buy buttermilk.
softballchicrf
AG
I make my own pimiento cheese with finely chopped onion...so good. And then that on practically anything: Ritz, tortilla chips, celery (if you're pretending to be healthy), grilled cheese.

Also, PB & banana sandwiches
Sharp cheddar, Ritz and dill pickles
Grilled cheese with dill pickle juice drizzled on it and dipped in ketchup
JYDog90
AG
Ag_07 said:

A well made grilled cheese
Formerly Willy Wonka
SACR
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Pasta Puttanesca - Probably my most consumed Italian dish. Tons of great flavors and comes together in no time. I rarely see it on menus even at Italian restaurants. Very surprising this isn't more popular

I just love how they always try to claim the name derives from it being an easy meal for working girls to cook between customers.

---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
SACR
AG

Leftover garlic bread reheated the next day

Not sure if we can claim it is underrated, though, I'm sure a lot of people love it.
Jefe07
AG
You know how I know that you're all fat???
JYDog90
AG
I thought of this thread when I found this on the fridge this morning. My son's recipe.

Formerly Willy Wonka
rednecked
AG
My grandmother loved cornbread in whole milk. I do too, but we had a variation on it that I don't see anywhere else. My dad used to crumble up saltines in milk. I always thought it was gross because the crackers would just turn to mush. I finally tried just breaking up 2-3 at a time and I love it that way and you don't get too much mush. Just a little at the bottom of the glass.
rednecked
AG
another thing I loved as a kid was to take a teaspoon of butter (margarine because my mother wouldn't spend the money to buy butter) pour some honey over it and mix it up. Eat it with white bread. Every once in a while I'll still have it. a good alternative is to use pancake syrup or molasses.
HtownAg92
AG
Cinnamon Toast -- Butter, cinnamon and sugar (mixed together before sprinkling - we have a dedicated shaker). Cinn-Sugar poured on thick so that it makes a crust when toasted.

Simple Asian noodles -- any noodles (if you don't have rice noodles), cooked then chilled. Mix with soy or fish sauce, garlic, Sriacha, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. That same sauce combo + honey makes an awesome wing sauce.
DiskoTroop
SACR said:

FIDO*98* said:

Pasta Puttanesca - Probably my most consumed Italian dish. Tons of great flavors and comes together in no time. I rarely see it on menus even at Italian restaurants. Very surprising this isn't more popular

I just love how they always try to claim the name derives from it being an easy meal for working girls to cook between customers.

In fairness it does translate into "pasta in the style of *****s."

But yes that is a commonly mistaken bit of trivia.
HHAG
AG
Hummus with LOTS of Tabasco dipped on a Trisket. I could eat that all day, every day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.