Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Underrated Food Pleasures

19,393 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieBarstool
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
REAL fried okra, fried in flour, not corn meal.

Just kidding, I like all kinds of fried okra. I'll save the gatekeeping for chili.
RGV AG
AG
Egg salad sandwich with a couple of slices of bacon. Heaven.
gif
Speaking of okra, I could eat an entire jar of pickled okra in a sitting
gigemags87
AG
Peanut butter and chocolate shake at the Health Camp

Pimento cheese on pretty much anything
gigemags87
AG
Try with some chopped/sliced green olives
RGV AG
AG
YES!, have had before and it is wonderful. I agree. I have had it with chopped olives, japs, and pimentos and it is tasty.

I waited tables at a place that was like a deli/cafe and they would throw out the egg salad every two days or so, but we would bus tub buffet it and that was our breakfast.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Blue star for fried bologna. A bunch of slices cooked to where they start to char in bits on soft fresh white bread, smashed down so the steam from the bologna softens the bread even more. I've started getting deli sliced garlic bologna when I make this treat.

Another simple pleasure is good bread or toast with soft butter and a sprinkle of salt.

A BLT with lots of bacon and mayo. It can be plain white bread lightly toasted with the right ratio of crispy bacon, veggies, and mayo.

Classic Tex-mex restaurant nachos - tortilla chips, a ton of mild or medium cheddar, and pickled jalapeos under the broiler a couple of minutes.
RGV AG
AG
I love fried bologna sandwiches as well. Wifa and daughter retch at them so they are rare. But about twice a year I get a couple of thick slices pieces of bologna and fry it with mustard, onions, and japs on white bread. Man that is good stuff.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've made my wife a convert and my sister did the same to her husband.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My roommates in college used to ***** every time I'd make fried bologna.
979ag
AG
Totino's frozen party pizzas
jcbaggie04
AG
sad confession of sodium: I like to cook the super cheap terrible for you top ramen. and then throw an easy egg on top with some sriracha sauce.

I know it is wrong, and I don't care. it is delicious.
CyAg
AG
Quote:

sad confession of sodium: I like to cook the super cheap terrible for you top ramen. and then throw an easy egg on top with some sriracha sauce.

I know it is wrong, and I don't care. it is delicious.
Remember back in the day when folks would get 2 packs of ramen noodles, cook the noodles, pour out the water, add maybe a half of one pack of the seasoning and then add some butter or margarine?

Or... maybe that was just me...
jcbaggie04
AG
yep... that was just you. no way I would ever eat just a large bowl of spiced buttery noodles. no way at all......

yeah I would wreck shop on that.
biobioprof
FIDO*98* said:

Pasta Puttanesca - Probably my most consumed Italian dish. Tons of great flavors and comes together in no time. I rarely see it on menus even at Italian restaurants. Very surprising this isn't more popular

Pastitsio - Ultimate Greek food for me. Unlike Puttanesca it takes destroying your kitchen to make so it's about a once a year dish for me. One of my favorite foods of all time. It's usually easy to find at Greek restaurants, but, even so I'd guess the average person has never had it
Being lactose intolerant I once got a little Italian restaurant to substitute their puttanesca for the cream sauce they were serving with homemade gnocchi. That was a great combo.
schmendeler
AG
Putanesca I think is one of those things that tastes really good provided you don't tell people what's in it.
Max Power
AG
Rice

Seriously, straight up rice is underrated. Growing up in east Texas with a father from Louisiana we had rice all the time. Now as a resident of the Midwest I've discovered that not everyone grows up eating it as often as I did. My wife said rarely did they have rice at meals growing up. I look forward to meals when I get to make a pot of rice, highly underrated in my opinion.
RGV AG
AG
In my opinion any meal that does not have rice and beans, is an appetizer. Agree, rice is wonderful.
DiskoTroop
Max Power said:

Rice

Seriously, straight up rice is underrated. Growing up in east Texas with a father from Louisiana we had rice all the time. Now as a resident of the Midwest I've discovered that not everyone grows up eating it as often as I did. My wife said rarely did they have rice at meals growing up. I look forward to meals when I get to make a pot of rice, highly underrated in my opinion.

Boy I'm learning the same thing. My wife is from Lafayette and she can eat rice for breakfast. Literally. Boudin on toast with a drizzle of maple syrup is one of her favorite breakfasts.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pinto beans and cornbread
spud1910
AG
Two that are probably more about the memories than the food.

Skipping school to go fishing with my granddad as a 6 year old. We had Vienna sausages, saltines and RC colas in the boat.

And as a student at TAMU, I returned one weekend with a huge pot of turnip greens my grandmother had cooked for me. Turnip greens three meals a day can have some interesting effects.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm from Beaumont area where Douget's is king, and it wasn't until well after college that I realized rice in chili wasn't universally done. I still think it's odd when I don't have a big ol spoonful of rice in my chili.
Max Power
AG
Chili was always served with rice in my house, you're not alone.
RGV AG
AG
One of my favorite things, that I just love and that you do not see much any more, is pickled pigs feet. I made some about a month ago, and they came out pretty damm good.

The ones in the jars at five bars and bad convenience stores aren't that good, but spicy homemade ones really are.
Fall92
AG
Churros and tres leches.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
rooftop18403
I was reminded of one this weekend. We had a baby shower at our house Saturday with tons of leftover appetizers. It always makes for a good few days after re-purposing the cheeses, crescents and whatever else is left behind. Yesterdays best was a 3 cheese grilled cheese sandwich with spicy mustard.
Echoes97
AG
Possibly weird, but an old childhood thing that's pretty great is putting crunchy peanut butter on saltines, then adding 5 marshmallows to each, then putting them in a toaster oven (or regular if need be). Great sweet/salty snack!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
TX AG 88
AG
Bone marrow. Especially when it's in the middle of a thin pan fried round steak, lightly floured.
RGV AG
AG
In Mexico it is called "tuetano" and if you cook and split the bones right you get basically a roasted marrow that is like butter. Spread it on a fresh corn tortilla with some salt and some spicy salsa it is it incredibly good.
RK
AG
Echoes97 said:

Possibly weird, but an old childhood thing that's pretty great is putting crunchy peanut butter on saltines, then adding 5 marshmallows to each, then putting them in a toaster oven (or regular if need be). Great sweet/salty snack!
we used to eat saltines with peanut butter and Hershey chocolate syrup on them. sounds kind of gross now...but also kind of good.
HtownAg92
AG
PB & J with potato chips inside. Sweet + Salty

Corn Tortillas with butter, S&P and a drizzle of salsa

Pimento cheese and Ritz crackers - I can eat two sleeves of crackers if there is still pimento cheese left

Salty / Spicy breakfast meat (bacon, sausage) dipped in maple syrup

Fried egg sandwiches, any time of day (I like mine over-easy and messy)

Burgers at a Tex-Mex joint (left-over from kid's meal)

Hard-boiled eggs dipped in Colman's English mustard
D`Funkaladu`
AG
Echoes97 said:

Are you the brother my parents didn't tell me about? I thought I was the only one that grew up with these. Only difference is I use creamy peanut butter. You even got the only correct number of marshmallows.

I still make them. Pretty much the only reason I have marshmallows and saltines in the house.
Hugh Jass
Hugh Jass
AG
Cornbread and milk.

Salted peanuts in Dr Pepper.
PooDoo
AG
SpiderDude said:

Allsups burrito or chimichanga.

I have to be traveling with baby wipes to take a chance on those.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.