Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,299 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MooreTrucker said:

And my wife pointed out that I plan to share that bottle with friends so it's also about friendship and experiences. And drinking with some goofy dude in a tasting room in Fredericksburg

I resemble that remark!

And the who of wine is as important as the what!
jh0400
AG
I don't spend a lot of money per bottle, but I've spent quite a bit travelling to find wine that I like. I've decided that Napa Cabs aren't my favorite, and once I found out that I could get Brunello shipped for less than $50 per bottle and Rosso di Montalcinos for less than $25 per my spending ramped up quite a bit.

I've also developed a taste for grenache, so it appears that a trip to Priorat may be in order next year.
BSD
AG
Check out the hill town of Porrera. I'll see if I can find the hotel we stayed at. There's like 15 wineries there and the population is about 450. Vall Llach, Cellar Joan Simo, Ardevol, and Cal Pla are the places we tasted at.

There's some cool ruins nearby, Scalia Dei, that we enjoyed visiting.
JCA1
AG
BSD, if you're looking to adopt any children, I'm available. And I'm well past the teen angst years so I shouldn't be much trouble.
cecil77
AG
JCA1 said:

BSD, if you're looking to adopt any children, I'm available. And I'm well past the teen angst years so I shouldn't be much trouble.

Get in line! I asked him 100 pages back!

JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

JCA1 said:

Get in line! I asked him 100 pages back!

Well, clearly he doesn't want you, so I'm taking my shot!
BSD
AG
JCA1 said:

Can you build a wine cellar???
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

JCA1 said:

Can you build a wine cellar???

JCA1, I'm back in the game!
JCA1
AG
Dammit!
JCA1
AG
Alright, to bring it back to wine, received an email today that I'm getting an allocation of Detert East Block next week. Pretty sure I will pull the trigger on it. I really like their base cab franc and the East Block is made from the oldest cab franc vines in Napa. Anyone ever had it?
BSD
AG
JCA1 said:

Alright, to bring it back to wine, received an email today that I'm getting an allocation of Detert East Block next week. Pretty sure I will pull the trigger on it. I really like their base cab franc and the East Block is made from the oldest cab franc vines in Napa. Anyone ever had it?

Do it. I don't know how I fell off their list but I wish I was back on it.
752bro4
AG
Schramsberg coming to dallas for a 2-night pairing. Shinsei Is one of my wife's favorite restaurants, and she's followed Casey Thompson since top chef. So looks like we're booked next Monday night!
Quote:

As part of our 2019 Asian-themed winemaker dinner tour we've been doing all year, Hugh is hosting a dinner at Shinsei Restaurant on Monday, September 16. A casual-chic restaurant, Shinsei features innovative Pan-Asian cuisine, combining Asian-fusion specials with traditional sushi. The two-chef kitchen is led by Executive Chef Casey Thompson, with one of Dallas' top sushi chefs, the pompadoured Shuji "Elvis" Sugawara presiding over the sushi counter. Their fusion menu with a modern twist will be a delicious accompaniment for our wines.

The next evening, on Tuesday, September 17, Hugh will be your host at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse. A classic steakhouse with renowned Texas hospitality, Del Frisco's in Dallas is nestled in chic and pedestrian-friendly Uptown. Executive Chef Mario Hernandez will create a modern, sleek menu of prime steaks and seasonal seafood that will complement a selection of our wines.
BSD
AG
BSD said:

JCA1 said:

Do it. I don't know how I fell off their list but I wish I was back on it.

And like that, I'm back on for the release next week. Thanks for brining this to my attention!
JCA1
AG
Nice!
HTownAg98
jh0400 said:

I don't spend a lot of money per bottle, but I've spent quite a bit travelling to find wine that I like. I've decided that Napa Cabs aren't my favorite, and once I found out that I could get Brunello shipped for less than $50 per bottle and Rosso di Montalcinos for less than $25 per my spending ramped up quite a bit.

I've also developed a taste for grenache, so it appears that a trip to Priorat may be in order next year.

If you like Grenache, go to Paso Robles.
Cyp0111
I'm looking for a few small lot wineries in Sonoma County.
752bro4
AG
En Garde between Sonoma and Glen Ellen. Tasting room only, but great Pinots, Cabs, and Cab Francs. Also my wife's favorite Port.
wtmartinaggie
AG
My favorites are Repris, Lambert Bridge, Kamen, and Auteur.

i havent been to Scribe, but it's a local favorite and we're starting to talk more. They have lots of parties and whatnot for their members like we do, so folks are drawn in. QPR across the portfolio is apparently pretty good.
-Taylor @ Italics
GarlandAg2012
AG
Scribe is greatness
BSD
AG
Pott's Napa Valley Cab was released today. I picked up some for my wife. Not a bad $60 wine!
752bro4
AG
wtmartinaggie said:

My favorites are Repris, Lambert Bridge, Kamen, and Auteur.

i havent been to Scribe, but it's a local favorite and we're starting to talk more. They have lots of parties and whatnot for their members like we do, so folks are drawn in. QPR across the portfolio is apparently pretty good.
We thought Repris was about the prettiest view in Sonoma County. Wines seemed okay, we're laying down a case for a few years.

Kamen - IF, and only IF you can get a tasting at Robert Kamen's house. Kashmir is one of my favorite wines of all time, and we're sitting on a few for several years. We opened up a Kamen Cab 2 weeks ago for the wife's birthday.

A group of 10 of us had an off the wall bonkers tasting at his house with him. We got to hear all sorts of 80s/90s Hollywood stories, he spoke highly of his love for all drugs, offered us his homegrown stash, and almost got in a fight with our Uber driver.

True story.
Cyp0111
Member at Repris and been to Scribe. Will check out others
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I'm looking for a few small lot wineries in Sonoma County.
Any location specifically? It's a huge county.
Austintm
BSD said:

Pott's Napa Valley Cab was released today. I picked up some for my wife. Not a bad $60 wine!
Yep. Got it. Allocation season is in full swing.
Cyp0111
Russian River and/or Dry Creek
Cyp0111
Russian River and/or Dry Creek
Chipotlemonger
AG
If you're into big reds like Zinfandel and Petite Syrah and make it to Dry Creek, check out Yoakim Bridge. Some great small lot stuff.

Depending on what your group is and what kind of vibe you're looking for, Preston is another great visit. Fun place to get a bottle and hang out for a bit and explore the farm grounds.
Tumble Weed
I don't know what constitutes small, as it is all relative.

This was my favorite place in the RRV and Alexander Valley area.
https://trionewinery.com/about/estate-vineyards/

This was their best wine and it costs around ~$50.
https://cellar.trionewinery.com/product/2015-Henry-s-Blend

aggiecive
AG
I am headed to Tacoma, WA to see family for Thanksgiving. Are there any good wineries to check out in that region?
BigAg95
AG
Austintm said:

BSD said:

Yep. Got it. Allocation season is in full swing.
Same here.

Speaking of allocation season, 2.5 cases of various things arrived today. It might be time for me to order another rack for my cellar, I am almost out of room and have 4 more cases incoming!
Austintm
Good problem to have!

Won't have anything arriving until later in October, but have coming:

Fairchild (Stones 2 and Sigaro)
Vine Hill Ranch
Seven Stones
Corra
Vineyardist
Piper
Pott
Arkenstone
Memento Mori
Kinsman
M. Etain (I assume. I am on the 2-pack list but hasn't been announced yet)
Somnium
Krupp

cecil77
AG
ahh... to be able to get shipments in September. I'm Nov 1 at the earliest, and crossing my fingers this year.
JCA1
AG
Humblebrag on shipments on the way? I'm in!

I've got -
18 bottles of Myriad
12 bottles of Quintessa
10 bottles of Saxum
7 bottles of Wheeler Farms
3 bottles of Checkerboard
4 bottles of Aubert
and soon-to-be 3 bottles of Detert East Block

No idea where I'm going to put it all. Although when my wife sees it, she'll likely have some helpful suggestions of where I can put it.
Austintm
Nice haul!
cecil77
AG
Ok, if we're gonna drop trou and pull out the tape measure..
6 Realm
3 David Arthur
6 Roy Piper
3 Myriad
7 Charles Krug
6 Chalk Hill
12 Spottswoode
12 Chateau Tour St Christophe

or not quite two months worth or drinking!
First Page Last Page
Page 192 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.