Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,846 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
752bro4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finalized the trip. It went from just me and the wife to another couple who lives in San Fran, so had to accommodate everyone. Thank you for all of the suggestions, especially Seven Stones.

Friday:
Lunch - RH - Yountville
Cliff Lede
Krupp Brothers
Dinner - Bottega (though still working on changing this)

Saturday:
Breakfast - Bouchon Bakery
Round Pond
Lunch - Addendum
O'Brien
Pine Ridge
Dinner - Bouchon for a trio of Thomas Keller restaurants in a day

Sunday:
Breakfast - Archetype
Seven Stones
Walk around/shopping in Yountville
Lunch - Mustard's Grill
Depart
cecil77
AG
A fun evening with some great Melka wines with Cherie Melka!
BSD
AG
The Realm release is live.

Anyone want my 2 Absurds?
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

The Realm release is live.

Anyone want my 2 Absurds?
Curious what you're getting. This is my first allocation from Realm. I was jazzed about it before my last trip to Napa and I tallied what I have coming in the next couple months once I got home . . .
BSD
AG
Was allocated

2 x Tempest
4 x Bard
2 x Absurd

Taking all but Absurd, can wishlist for more.
cecil77
AG
Same here, only 1 Absurd, which at $475 is actually Absurd!
BSD
AG
That's not too absurd compared to last year ($450). Haha.

Here is what Absurd has cost me over the last few vintages:

2012-$235
2013-$300
2015-$450
Now at $475...more than double the 2012 price.

I guess I skipped 2014.
cecil77
AG
Is "absurder" a word? ... should be...
BSD
AG
It is now.
Tumble Weed
Sometimes when I feel guilty about spending $50 or $60 bucks on a bottle of wine, I come read this thread and feel better about my spending habits.
BSD
AG
Well then, Pott's Napa bottling comes out next week at $60 if you feel like having a quality guilt trip in that price range! I'm buying as much as I can for that for my wife so she doesn't drink up all the other wines.

Speaking of wine (on a wine thread, I know, it's crazy), does anyone here know of a reputable home cellar builder in the Houston area?
BigAg95
AG
I grabbed 1 Tempest and 1 Bard to keep my vertical of each going. Not going to allow myself to do anything more absurd than that, though!
Tumble Weed
Don't know a builder, but I am looking forward to the remodel pictures. This is going to be good!

I have always wanted a wine cellar.
cecil77
AG
Actually drank a '16 The Bard last week. Really good. QPR sucks, of course.

With I could get The Tempest, that's my favorite Realm.
cecil77
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Don't know a builder, but I am looking forward to the remodel pictures. This is going to be good!

I have always wanted a wine cellar.

Picture's hell, I'm looking forward to the "Cellar Celebration" party!
Tumble Weed
You couldn't trust this group of cork pullers in a wine cellar. BSD may need to consider layers of security for the juice.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

With I could get The Tempest, that's my favorite Realm.

Do you want one of mine?
BSD
AG
Tumble Weed said:

You couldn't trust this group of cork pullers in a wine cellar. BSD may need to consider layers of security for the juice.

True dat. Maybe I'll have some crazy laser movement detection system and ocular biometric entry locks.
cecil77
AG
C'mon, in a Cellar Celebration everyone would bring a bottle! Like a house warming...

MooreTrucker
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Sometimes when I feel guilty about spending $50 or $60 bucks on a bottle of wine, I come read this thread and feel better about my spending habits.

Same here. I got a $125 bottle for my birthday from some friends and couldn't even imagine spending more than that, much less $450+.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

C'mon, in a Cellar Celebration everyone would bring a bottle! Like a house warming...

The last thing I need is more wine. But I'm willing to make an exception...
cecil77
AG
I've had this discussion a lot, and it's just an apples/oranges thing. I couldn't imagine spending $60,000 on a bass boat and an extra $5,000 on gear, but people do (and that's not counting the tow vehicle). Or spending $800/month on country club dues, $40 per weekend on proV1s, plus 19th hole, etc (and that $500 driver each year). Or how about $500 for a vase to dust or $1,000 for art to hang on a wall? Or a $5,000 cruise that's gone the instant it's over.

One thing is that most that spend $100+ on bottles of wine aren't buying them "just" to drink. There is enjoyment in procurement and ownership and yes (eventually) consuming, but it's altogether different from going to the store to buy a bottle to drink, either tonight or for an upcoming special occasion.

Work hard. Earn money. Save some. Use some. Spend some, on whatever you want.
MooreTrucker
AG
That makes sense. I'm working toward that place just not quite there yet I guess.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I bought 1 Tempest, 1 Bard and put in my wish for Absurd. I'm not high enough on the list to be allocated it. Their shipping sure seems pricey given the cost of the juice.
BSD
AG
I have a vase. It was a ridiculous purchase. Oh well.

But seriously, I agree. Other than travel, I don't have any other expensive hobbies so I don't mind a splurge on nice wine, especially since I only get to drink every now and then. I don't have a Maserati. I don't have a boat. I don't have a second home. I've turned down multiple social/athletic/country club invites. I'd rather use that money and see all the national parks and then go swim with Manta rays and whale sharks, followed up with a bottle of Salon. To each their own. My buddies love my wine and I love their boats so it works out, I guess.
aggiejumper
AG
Build it yourself. They are pretty simple, I'm building a house and will have a cellar in it.
Call John Tucci at Wine Enthusiast, they'll lay it out with whatever racking you want/need.
Choose a cooling system type, closed cell foam the whole thing, green board or hardy board depending on budget, then put in flooring of your choice and door that fits your style. Contractors charge a ton of markup on cellars, you will same thousands or $10's of thousands by doing it yourself.
BSD
AG
That doesn't sound simple to me.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

That doesn't sound simple to me.

Assuming you've got the room, it shouldn't be that hard, really. Think of it more as arranging furniture that fits together really well, and a special window air conditioner.
BSD
AG
I'm thinking more along the lines of adding the insulation to the walls and ceiling to keep a vapor barrier in there. The last thing I want is mold.
cecil77
AG
Again, IF you've done some home repair or wood work, it shouldn't be hard. But I also understand "just paying for it", unless the premium is just too high...
aggiejumper
AG
Closed cell foam is both insulation and vapor barrier.
Tumble Weed
How many square feet will the cellar be? Are you going to have an island or a seating area in it? What temp will you want to keep the cellar?
BSD
AG
Tumble Weed said:

How many square feet will the cellar be? Are you going to have an island or a seating area in it? What temp will you want to keep the cellar?

I should clarify that this is a small wine closet next to the bar area. We only have about 5'x6' available so that should be enough for ~500 bottles. It'll be nice, but not super extravagant. I plan on utilizing more cubes than individual storage racks to maximize the space.

cecil77 said:

Again, IF you've done some home repair or wood work, it shouldn't be hard. But I also understand "just paying for it", unless the premium is just too high...

I have never done home repair or woodwork.
MooreTrucker
AG
And my wife pointed out that I plan to share that bottle with friends so it's also about friendship and experiences. And drinking with some goofy dude in a tasting room in Fredericksburg.
MooreTrucker
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.