Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,259,923 Views | 10406 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by Stan Crowch
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cab Sauv - $110
Franc/Merlot - $95

No tax, free shipping
BSD
AG
htxag09 said:

I'd love to grab some, but unfortunately blew through my wine budget on my Napa trip a couple weeks ago....

If I had a nickel every time I did that, I'd be able to buy a lot more wine!

But seriously, if you can't find someone to go in with you, you can always ask if you can buy less than a 3 pack. I've done that with other wineries since my health issue and found that they've been accommodating. Or just take the hit and have more good juice on hand! I've done that too (thanks, scarecrow)
cecil77
AG
Style?

Especially the CF/Merlot? Sounds like something I'd like.

Speaking of Piper, had a 2014 Friday night. Really good. I like his hint of less ripe fruit and muted oak.
It was a celebratory night, so we also had a half bottle of 2015 Y'Quem.
cheeky
AG
I'd like to pick up some good QPR 2016 Napa reds as I've loaded up the past few years on pricey stuff that can lay down a long, long time. My modest cellar is already full and I'm just sending off the last two kids to college so probably going to slow down for a while.

I've been flooded with allocations the past two weeks but only picked up Seven Stones. Just checked my Rivers Marie allocation and it closed. Can still get Shafer, Dana Estate ONDA and Eisele if anyone needs it. I also received Myriad (not Tier 1, so wish-listed on all single vineyard cabs) and Willam & Mary today. Not sure where to go from here!
BigAg95
AG
I grabbed two of each of the Myriad entry level offerings, and wish-listed one of each single vineyard cab.

I signed up for the W&M list, thanks for the tip Brad! Not sure I can buy from them this year, but I am excited to check out the their wines.
BigAg95
AG
cecil77 said:

Style?

Speaking of Piper, had a 2014 Friday night. Really good. I like his hint of less ripe fruit and muted oak.
Did you use a Coravin for the y'Quem, or are you just saying you had a 375? I grabbed a few 375 ml bottles of Sauternes to lay down in the cellar for a while. Not Y'quem, unfortunately. I am looking forward to checking it out in a few years!
cecil77
AG
Drank a 375. Bought them at the winery in May.

Eased up on Myriad, two of each. Went deeper in May. Particularly in Quivet, Mike has made several wines lately that are just too sweet for me. I suspect that in 2015 the fruit was so ripe, he couldn't ferment to dryness.
BigAg95
AG
Fantastic, I'd love to make that trip someday!
cecil77
AG
And in other news...

Constellation invests $4B in cannabis...
752bro4
AG
BSD said:

Cab Sauv - $110
Franc/Merlot - $95

No tax, free shipping
Picked up 3 of the blends. In the "how did you hear about us" sign up portion, I credited "A guy named BSD who knows a lot about wine on the TexAgs.com Food board. Hope you can figure out who he is to thank for the referral."
cecil77
AG
Same here, but went ahead with three of each.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

Style?

I haven't tried the '16, and never tried the CF/Merlot so I'll defer to cellartracker notes.

I thought the '13 Piper was one of the best wines I tasted when I was out there a few years ago (Macdonald was my fave but that isn't fair). Buying from Roy is easy because he's such a good guy and I love supporting his work. The same with Will.

Congrats on whatever it was that got to Yquem open...i know you're a fan!
BSD
AG
752bro4 said:

BSD said:

Cab Sauv - $110
Franc/Merlot - $95

No tax, free shipping
Picked up 3 of the blends. In the "how did you hear about us" sign up portion, I credited "A guy named BSD who knows a lot about wine on the TexAgs.com Food board. Hope you can figure out who he is to thank for the referral."

Haha. That's classic.

I'm really interested in the blend as well. I'll probably open one at Christmas.
htxag09
AG
Good call, Will's letting me order 2 of the blends and 1 cab.

Looking forward to them.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Congrats on whatever it was that got to Yquem open...

I don't share much of this, but...

Some of y'all know that my wife (Diana '84) has Spinal Muscular Atrophy (Type III). A genetic disease in the MD family. Diagnosed at the age of two, she's gotten progressively weaker through the years as is expected. Up until last year she was still ambulatory, but was using a walker more and more for getting around outside the house. Well, in December of 2016 the FDA approved the first treatment for the disease Spinraza. It involves intrathecal (spinal) injections. Diana started treatments last September.

Our celebration is that she completed a 5K Saturday SMAsh Dash Run to Cure SMA! Walked the entire course and held onto me and our son on the uphill parts, and it took 90 minutes. The Start/Finish line was still there and they left the clock on for her. It may not sound like much, but a year ago it wouldn't have even been thinkable. And she was the only SMA patient that walked it.

So yeah, Y'Quem it is!
MooreTrucker
AG
That right there is awesome!! Congrats!!!

We had similar fun at the MS ride this year. A 16-yo girl who has got diagnosed with MS at 2 (I think) rode the last 5 of the 75-mile second day on a tandem with her mom. I still can't watch the video without crying real tears.
BSD
AG
That is incredibly awesome, my friend!!! I can't imagine the joy you all had as she crossed the finish line. Amazing!
SouthTex99
AG
Congrats to her and your whole family! That's worth a fantastic wine or 3.
HTownAg98
Congrats!!
Tumble Weed

We stayed in a small farmhouse behind chateau mauvinon. Vines are looking good.

This is where the grapes will end up.

cecil77
AG
So cool. Thanks for sharing!
Tumble Weed
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

My second stop in Europe will be near Sion in Switzerland. Nobody ever talks about wines from this region.
Because they drink it all and consequently you can't buy any without going to Switzerland. My inlaws took a trip there and raved about it. I guess more the Chasselas than anything else. I don't remember where they were.

(I'm sure some wine shop somewhere has a bottle you can buy.)

We are now in Switzerland. Up the mountain from Vex, up from les Agettes.

This is a pinot. really light reds so far. found a couple of whites that pair well with the cheeses. the search continues...

Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

Chateau Villemaurine
In town. Nice tasting/tour. Access to the cave network (originally limestone quarry) under the city.

Chateau La Gaffeliere
Got to have the front end manager has our host. Her best friend is from Waco! Mostly talked industry stuff.

We also did Troplong Mondot, Beau Sejour Becot, Pavie Macquin, and Tertre Rotebeouf.

If you can get into Tertre Routebeouf, it's worth it. It's a non-commercial tour/tasting. the winemaker does the it, and it's out of their house. It's a cool story... Tertre Rotebeouf No wine for sale, and it's expensive. If they chose to, they'd be a Class A with Angelus, Pavie, Cheval Blanc and Ausone.

Trip of a lifetime! Spend time on foot in the village and eat really good food!
Thanks for the rec Cecil. we had a blast. the caves were a good place to cool off. I like seeing the photos of how they mined the limestone.

BSD
AG
Looks like one helluva trip!
TP Ag '87
AG
Just saw your post, Cecil.

God bless her and your family! Awesome!
BigAg95
AG
Thanks to whoever posted the link to WTSO. I've picked up some amarone, Brunello, spring mountain cab, to kalon cab, beckstoffer cab, champagne, and a couple of different bordeaux reds. All at wholesale prices with free shipping to boot!
Tumble Weed
Left Switzerland and went to Biniamar Mallorca.
This was a stout Temparnillo.

This one was made down the road in Binisalem.

HTownAg98
HTownAg98 said:

Opened a 2015 Chateau Beau-Sjour "Instant Becot." An easy drinking St. Emilion with no faults and in balance. Not expecting much more for $12, and it over delivers. 64% merlot, 15% cab franc, 2% cab sauv, 1% malbec. Found at Austin Wine Merchant.

Opened another one of these tonight. For those of you in Austin, it's worth making a run into downtown and picking up half a case of this. While you are there, grab a case of the 2017 Domaine du Puoy. It's finally in stock.
BSD
AG
Realm is coming next week. I'm a sucker and might buy a few Bards. I have a hard time quitting these guys.
aggiejumper
AG
Always have to buy a few Bard's. Ultramarine is out next week also. I think MacDonald comes out soon too. The fall waves are beginning.
BSD
AG
Macdonald emails show 9/19 and 9/20 on last two vintages, so yeah, you're right. I don't hesitate on that one! I'm hoping to visit the bros this fall when we head out there for a long weekend.

I've never seen Ultramarine. That's a new one to me.
ILikeTacos
AG
BSD said:

Realm is coming next week. I'm a sucker and might buy a few Bards. I have a hard time quitting these guys.
I am still waiting for my Bard and Moonracer to be delivered from my Napa Trip in May. I will definitely pick up more Bard and Tempest. Don't know if I will do "The Absurd" yet.
aggiejumper
AG
Ultramarine is sparkling wine from Cali, as close to champagne as it gets for being domestic.
BSD
AG
I have a few Absurds from '12 and '13. I'll give the '12 a taste next year. The massive increase in price on those turned me off, though. I didn't purchase the '14.

Edit: I tried the '14 out of the barrel and it was fantastic! But for the price...not for me.
BSD
AG
aggiejumper said:

Ultramarine is sparkling wine from Cali, as close to champagne as it gets for being domestic.

Interesting. I'll need to try that someday. I bet my wife would want me to buy it.
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.