Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,282,784 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

I have a few Absurds from '12 and '13. I'll give the '12 a taste next year. The massive increase in price on those turned me off, though. I didn't purchase the '14.

Edit: I tried the '14 out of the barrel and it was fantastic! But for the price...not for me.
How much? Since this is my first time to get an allocation I don't have a good basis for that price point.

I bought a '15 Moonracer from the winery but only one bottle as the price was about $265. Those higher priced ones I try to only have one or two of.
aggiejumper
AG
Absurd was $375 for the release last fall. Way too much for me. Who knows what it is this year.

Moonracer is pretty high priced too. Heck, Napa is all getting too high very quickly.
ILikeTacos
AG
aggiejumper said:

Absurd was $375 for the release last fall. Way too much for me. Who knows what it is this year.
Yeah that is a little ..... absurd. And again I love Realm wines, but this latest greatest sensation of my favorite vineyards releasing stuff at $300 plus is kicking my backside.
BigAg95
AG
ILikeTacos said:

aggiejumper said:

Yeah that is a little ..... absurd. And again I love Realm wines, but this latest greatest sensation of my favorite vineyards releasing stuff at $300 plus is kicking my backside.
As curious as I am to try something like that, the fact that I can get any number of phenomenal wines for $37.50 keeps me from pulling the trigger.
BSD
AG
Looking back at my files, I paid $200 for the 2012 Absurd. The almost double price increase in 2 years turned me off more than the absolute price.

Even the single vineyards are pricing me out. But like I said, it's hard for me to say no. I've been buying Realm since 2004 vintage and they've made some good juice over their years! I'll stick with a few Bards and possibly some Crane (on the next release).
ILikeTacos
AG
BigAg95 said:

ILikeTacos said:

aggiejumper said:

As curious as I am to try something like that, the fact that I can get any number of phenomenal wines for $37.50 keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Absolutely! That being said, sometimes with wine enthusiasts, pulling out a bottle that is just that notch up is a great experience as a group.

I have 6 bottles of hundred acre coming in a month or so that I only want 1 bottle of. The rest is all going to friends who for some reason aren't getting an allocation and then that maybe the end of me buying it if I am honest.
BigAg95
AG
ILikeTacos said:

BigAg95 said:

ILikeTacos said:

aggiejumper said:

Absolutely! That being said, sometimes with wine enthusiasts, pulling out a bottle that is just that notch up is a great experience as a group.

I have 6 bottles of hundred acre coming in a month or so that I only want 1 bottle of. The rest is all going to friends who for some reason aren't getting an allocation and then that maybe the end of me buying it if I am honest.

I guess I need better friends (or to be a better one)!
K Bo
AG
2013 Bryant DB4 for the game
YouBet
AG
Haven't participated in a few years on here. My current, favorite every day wine is Alexander Valley Cab Franc. Fantastic wine for around $20-25.

We are down to four wine clubs:
1. Frank Family (Napa)
2. D.R. Stephens (Napa)
3. William Chris (Texas)
4. Veritas Wine Club (Dallas wine bar) - we get 3 random bottles from them every month. Fun way to do it.

Other than that I have a 2015 Caymus Cab which is an incredible wine as well.
HTownAg98
I had a 2012 Caravan tonight that I found rummaging around earlier this week. It's finally starting to come around. The 2013 is drinking better right now. I picked up three more today.

Also opened a 2013 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee tonight ($21). At that price, I would have bought half a case. Unfortunately, I got the last bottle.

I've also discovered in Cellartracker you can generate a wine list of everything in you cellar. I find it kind of funny to look at your cellar like a restaurant wine list.
cecil77
AG
My wife found an old fashioned wine list cover at a thrift store. We printed ours and used it.
cheeky
AG
Realm comes out tomorrow. Please post any extra allocations, particularly Absurd. My guess is $400 release.
cheeky
AG
And Harlan hit $850 this year. Hoping to finally get an allocation from macdonnell this year.

Edited for Harlan release price. I am playing around with my allocation tonight and apparently they are offering me up to $19k worth if their juice
aggiejumper
AG
Are you wanting any extra Absurd I have?
752bro4
AG
We just got back from Napa/Sonoma:

PlumpJack - nice way to kick the weekend off. Ended up bringing back 2016 Cade Estate SB, 2015 Cade Estate Cab Howell Mountain, 2015 Odette Estate Cab Stags Leap. The PlumpJack Cab we had there didn't blow my hair back enough to warrant the price tag, and it's obtainable at Total Wine.

Schramsberg - wife ended up joining here, and they'll be sending us the April allocation along with the October one. Also bought a 2015 Blanc de Blancs for a pre-dinner drink we had, a J. Schram Rose, and a 2015 Davies Estate Cab from Diamond Mountain

O'Brien - we are already members here, and just stopped in to sit on the back yard and have a couple glasses

Silverado - wife went here with the girls, and came home with a couple of Zins from Soda Creek Ranch

St. Francis - did the food and wine pairing here, it's our 3rd time, but first with new executive chef, Trevor Eliason. Maine Lobser Chow Mein (2015 Extended Age Chardonnay), Pan Seared Sea Bass (2014 Merlot), Duck Confit Trotter (2015 Zin from Banti Vineyard), Grilled Dixon Lamb Chop w/ cauli puree and squash (2014 Cab Franc)

Kamen - I can't tell the whole story here, but we had a hook up, and ended up drinking a bunch of wine with Robert Kamen at his house/winery on top of Maycamas Mountains. It/he was wheels off, but the wine was great, and ended up shipping home 3 each of 2013 and 2014 Kashmir.
BSD
AG
Offered 3 Absurds. Anyone in need?
ILikeTacos
AG
BSD said:

Offered 3 Absurds. Anyone in need?
I was offered no Absurds but not jumping up at a $425 bottle just yet. I bought all the rest of my allocation of the blends.
cecil77
AG
1 absurd offered here. Just can't make myself to it...
BigAg95
AG
I was only offered wishlist for the other blends, no Absurd. I put in for 1 Tempest and 1 Bard, but I am not expecting anything since I've never bought from them. Been on their list for 5-6 years though.

I also signed up for Pott, but was only offered the $90 cab blend that he essentially describes as a table wine that should be consumed now. I can't bring myself to pay $90 for something marketed like that...
BSD
AG
I believe the Pott is $60. I bought three for my wife. Also, don't worry. This was just a release for this blend. They don't offer the other wines til November or so.
BigAg95
AG
BSD said:

I believe the Pott is $60. I bought three for my wife. Also, don't worry. This was just a release for this blend. They don't offer the other wines til November or so.

You are correct, it is $60, I still feel the same. Thanks for the tip re: the single vineyard cab releases. I'll look for those in November!
cecil77
AG
It's a pretty good $60 wine. I don't think I'd call it "table wine". IMO descriptions like that are a marketing ploy because lots of people don't want to buy wine and then not drink it. They need one bottle ready for immediate consumption. None of these modern wines are going to fall apart in 5 years.
Austintm
I wouldn't call this a "cab blend," which implies cab blended with other varietals. It's a 100% cab, blended with juice from different vineyards (which, unless you are buying a single-vineyard cab, describes a lot of cabs).

Anyway, I bought a 3-pack. Yeah, lots of better stuff coming this fall, but it's Aaron Pott wine for $60/bottle!
BigAg95
AG
Alright gents, you talked me into a 3 pack!
BigAg95
AG
Austintm said:

I wouldn't call this a "cab blend," which implies cab blended with other varietals. It's a 100% cab, blended with juice from different vineyards (which, unless you are buying a single-vineyard cab, describes a lot of cabs).

Anyway, I bought a 3-pack. Yeah, lots of better stuff coming this fall, but it's Aaron Pott wine for $60/bottle!

Most Napa "cabs" are actually Bordeaux style blends... I was referring to this one as a "blend" to distinguish it from the single vineyard cabs he specializes in, not to other varietals.
Austintm
Understood. We were expressing the same thing differently.
Have some friends who have the 14 and 15, so when we see them next month we're trying a 3-year vertical to see how a $60 pop 'n pour holds up
cheeky
AG
My wife loves Pott after tasting with Aaron last summer. Ordered more today (plus we love Seven Stones). The Pott blend is 100% Cab from all of their vineyards and, when properly aerated in a year or two, is a killer wine at $65. Ordered Realm, Tor, some plain Myriad as well. Taking some Harlan but certainly not all they're willing to sell me.

I got 2 Absurd (fourth consecutive vintage to receive a perfect score from Wine Advocate) and wishlisted 2. If I don't get filled I'll be happy to buy more if anyone has extra. Feel pretty good about getting the wishlist at $425 considering the price hike and that I was filled last year. Not ready to commit to more than my order so don't buy on the come for me.
Austintm
Seven Stones is great. Have a couple left, and have 6 bottles waiting for shipping. Beautiful place as well.

If you like Pott, check out Perliss and St. Helena Winery he is the winemaker for both. Excellent wines.
BSD
AG
I still haven't placed my Realm order. I'm on the fence on a bottle of Absurd. Y'all talk me down!
ILikeTacos
AG
BSD said:

I still haven't placed my Realm order. I'm on the fence on a bottle of Absurd. Y'all talk me down!
talk you down or up? I mean I am pretty sure it will be excellent.
BSD
AG
Oh screw it. I bought a bottle of Absurd and 2 Bards.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

Oh screw it. I bought a bottle of Absurd and 2 Bards.

Only three things you can do with money: Use it, save it, spend it. You get to the point where you spend it where you want! Nothing wrong with that. And of course that warm and tingly feeling in your pants is just a bonus!
HTownAg98
I got to try a distributor sample of the 2015 Quintessa today. If there was ever a QPR wine for cult Napa cabs, this would be it.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I got to try a distributor sample of the 2015 Quintessa today. If there was ever a QPR wine for cult Napa cabs, this would be it.

How weird. We drank a 2010 Quintessa Friday night as well! And yes, if there's a good QPR for a $130 bottle of wine, this would qualify!
htxag09
AG
Anyone have any insight on the Del Frisco's Houston Galleria location wine list? Apparently they are closing and have 50% off all wine, beer, and liquor the next weekish.
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.