Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,143 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Anyone have any insight on the Del Frisco's Houston Galleria location wine list? Apparently they are closing and have 50% off all wine, beer, and liquor the next weekish.
No knowledge, but is that 50% off their restaurant price or their wholesale price. I mean 50% off their wine list price mean you'd only be paying a little less than twice what it's worth!
htxag09
AG
Haha I assume off their restaurant price. So was hopeful that itd make it about equal or slightly higher than heb prices.
cecil77
AG
Maybe on the higher priced wines where the restaurant mark up is less, but it seems 250% -350% is so common... Maybe if they've got some older vintages where the extra (compared to HEB) could be worth it?
Austintm
That location is a Del Frisco's Grille, not a Double Eagle; it will not have the same depth of wine as the Double Eagle
BSD
AG
Since I know how this will go, I need y'all to talk me out of buying some 90s and 04/06 Dalla Valle.
BigAg95
AG
Do it!

If nothing else, it will make me feel better about buying a case of wine yesterday.
cecil77
AG
High QPR to try, especially Napa fans.

2010 Belefont-Belcier St Emilion Grand Cru

$45-ish

15.5% abv. Big, dark, jammy, extracted. Very good, although not my personal preferred style. Well worth a try!
HTownAg98
I put in my Sanguis order today. That was slightly painful.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

High QPR to try, especially Napa fans.

2010 Belefont-Belcier St Emilion Grand Cru

$45-ish

15.5% abv. Big, dark, jammy, extracted. Very good, although not my personal preferred style. Well worth a try!

Where'd your find this?
cecil77
AG
Total Wine
HTownAg98
How's the 2018 Texas harvest looking for you guys?
cecil77
AG
Very low yields. High quality. Could be a watershed year for Texas wine!
ILikeTacos
AG
womp womp.

Your Wish Update Request
Dear Chris,
Unfortunately we were unable to grant your wish requests for this offering. We look forward to sharing more wine with you in the future!
Please feel free to email us with any questions, requests or feedback you may have.
Thank you,
The Team at Realm Cellars
BigAg95
AG
ILikeTacos said:

womp womp.

Your Wish Update Request
Dear Chris,
Unfortunately we were unable to grant your wish requests for this offering. We look forward to sharing more wine with you in the future!
Please feel free to email us with any questions, requests or feedback you may have.
Thank you,
Bummer. Mine came through, but I'd already assumed they wouldn't and put the money toward some other bottles. Oh well, hopefully there will still be student loans available when my kids get there!
cheeky
AG
Only got one Absurd on wish list. I can live with three
BSD
AG
ILikeTacos said:

womp womp.

Your Wish Update Request
Dear Chris,
Thank you,

What did you wish list?
ILikeTacos
AG
BSD said:

ILikeTacos said:

womp womp.

Your Wish Update Request
Dear Chris,
Thank you,

What did you wish list?
An Absurd. I didn't get one in allocation. Honestly I am ok with not getting it, I don't need to spend an extra $450 on wine right now. I have a LOT waiting shipment currently and the storage space will be a problem when they all start arriving at the end of september and october...
cecil77
AG
Buy your entire allocation and they up it the next year.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2014 Juan Gil Red Blend (Red Label). I can't find a damn thing about this wine online. Knowing what I know about Juan Gil, it's probably garnacha, monastrell, Cabernet Sauvignon, and maybe some Syrah. Tasting it, I can pick out the garnacha and monastrell, but there's "something" and some medium plus tannin that makes me think there's some cab, and there's a little pepper, so that might be Syrah. All in all, a pretty tasty red. $13, HEB.
MooreTrucker
AG
I'm very jealous, HTown. My palate and nose are not sensitive enough, I guess, to be able to pick out all the different scents/flavors in a glass of wine. Much less separate out the different grapes in a blend like that.

I know it doesn't really matter and I should just go with what I like, but it would help to find other good wines to be able to say "what I like about X is this and this and this" to find something else similar to try.
aggiejumper
AG
If memory serves me correct it's monastrell, cab, Syrah. Not sure of percentages.
HTownAg98
I wish I could find a tech sheet on it somewhere. There's NOTHING online.
HTownAg98
MooreTrucker said:

I'm very jealous, HTown. My palate and nose are not sensitive enough, I guess, to be able to pick out all the different scents/flavors in a glass of wine. Much less separate out the different grapes in a blend like that.

I know it doesn't really matter and I should just go with what I like, but it would help to find other good wines to be able to say "what I like about X is this and this and this" to find something else similar to try.

The only thing that tipped me off that there might be something other than GSM was something lighter and refreshing in it. Plus, I may not remember where I put my keys, but I can remember a wine I had five years ago.
aggiejumper
AG
My comments were based on a visit in the spring. A little googling shows I am more than likely thinking of the blue label.
Here's a link to all I could find on the red, http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?search=14393
you could be right with Grenache in the blend.
BSD
AG
I love a good Grenache/cab sauv /carignan blend. As seen here, there are some good deals on them. We did a Spain trip several years back and it was amazing to try a ton of those. I still have some 2003 and 2004 Priorats that I need to pop open before they fall off.

I'm not a Syrah fan so I never got into the GSM.
BSD
AG
I think Aaron Pott did a one vintage batch of a Grenache based wine and sold it for like $12. It was probably one of the best deals of all time. Haven't seen it come around since that one vintage though.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I love the Priorat wines that I've tried. One of my favorite regions to look for.
MooreTrucker
AG
HTownAg98 said:

MooreTrucker said:

The only thing that tipped me off that there might be something other than GSM was something lighter and refreshing in it. Plus, I may not remember where I put my keys, but I can remember a wine I had five years ago.
I can't remember either of those things.
HTownAg98
So this happened.
cecil77
AG
I need more friends like yours...
htxag09
AG
Man, the bathroom reno we are in the middle of, on top of my running training, have taken over my life. Been way too long since I've been able to enjoy some wine and these posts make we jealous....

Good news, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.....
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

I need more friends like yours...

I'm case your wondering what the end bottles are, the first one is a 2005 J Late Disgorged. The last bottle is a 2015 Herman Story Bolt Cutter.
gif
TL,DR version at the bottom

So this isn't about what is in my cellar, but more of a question to those that have been to Napa so that I might have a little more knowledge to help start a cellar.

The wife and I just came back after three full days of staying at a friends house in downtown Napa. The first day, which was really only half a day by the time we arrived, was spent downtown. My wife had been years ago just passing through and we really enjoyed the area. Went to Wine Thief for a tasting, Fatted Calf for charcuterie and a few other bar hops.

Second day was in wine country. It's not that my wife doesn't like wine, it's just she knows what she does like and it happens to be cheap. She gets a white blend at $8.98/bottle. She has tried tons of others, some cheaper some more expensive, and she always goes back to her Apothic White. I guess good for me that I have a cheap date, but it's difficult trying to get into and talk wine when everything I say goes in one ear and out the other. Anyway, my wife prefers to sit with a glass of wine instead of the tastings because it all taste the same to her. We did not realize there are many wineries you can't just buy a glass/bottle to drink on site, so our friend took us to a few places for a glass after a couple of tastings.
Wineries we visited:

-JCB in Yountville after breakfast at Bouchon bakery
-Conn Creek(enjoyed the knowledge they share)
-Elizabeth Spencer(nice garden)
-V Sattui(winery meets Bucees...not my favorite)
-Clif Family Winery(enjoyed the tasting room/server)

Now I know there are better places than these, but I enjoyed aspects of each one. My question to the people that have been to these places and the surrounding area, how would you rate these wineries/wines and what would you say is similar in price? My friend is club member to tons of wineries so she is willing to buy wine for me with her discount.

I guess to finish if the visit, we spent the last day downtown again, mostly at Oxbow, drinking outside and eating tons of cheese...pretty good day.

TL,DR - what do you think of the wineries above and what other wineries compare?

TIA
greenband
AG
FYI that a lot of the cheaper wines have residual sugar added to make cheap grapes taste "better".

Apothic Red, Meomi Pinot Noir, etc. can have an extra 4-6 grams of sugar per glass. Not sure about Apothic White but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she doesn't like the other wines - no sugar.

On the other hand, if you can't tell the difference then spending lots of money on wine is a waste.

From the wineries you listed their are a ton of reasonably priced wineries you can try in a Napa:
  • Plumpjack
  • Peju
  • Turnbull
  • Franks Family
  • Domaine Carneros
  • BV Reserve
  • Mondavi Reserve
  • Italics

All of these have good red and white wines for $30 - $100 range.

Some great wine in many other places as well.
Austintm
Not a fan of the places you list, Oh I Like That, but part o this is trying different places and having a basis for comparison.

In the $30-100 price range, try Krupp Brothers (smaller production than those you list. Great wines, and they have red and white in the price range suggested, but also go higher). Chappellet is another good option.
First Page Last Page
Page 158 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.