Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,674 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Cecil, someday we will drink Yquem!

Yes!

Finished off the night with 2015 Calais Botrytis Texan

Ben was checking his Chenin Blanc as they were about to spray and noticed botrytis, so he stopped them. Surprisingly nice effort. Very crisp, lightly sweet, and definite botrytis notes.
cheeky
AG
Love me some Realm! Haven't opened a Tempest, yet. I only get one bottle allocated per year

How is it?
jh0400
AG
We're going to Vegas in September, and I made a reservation at Lotus of Siam. Does anyone have a link to a good primer on Rieslings?
BSD
AG
I don't know where to guide you but I must say that I'm jealous. We'll be there Thanksgiving. When we went in march they didn't have a wine program since the new building didn't have a permit. I did not plan ahead. A few years ago we had a 40 yr old Reisling there. That was a fun experience.

Also, look into Chada. It's the place of old Somm from Lotus. I love it. I'll be there too at Thanksgiving.
jh0400
AG
We're only in Vegas for two nights. We're going to Lotus one night and Craftsteak the next. I'm trying to convince my wife to brunch at Bouchon instead of a buffet, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be.
BSD
AG
Craftsteak is very solid. You know it's BYO, right?
jh0400
AG
I don't want to deal with transporting our own bottle. I'll just bite the bullet and grab something off of their list.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Posts like these are great. Just got a couple bottles of this to try out, thanks.
BSD
AG
This is a delicious wine.

cheeky
AG
Enjoyed some great company and a catered dinner last night with a fellow Ag who generously opened up his cellar.

Left to right:
  • 01 Dominus
  • 10 Tusk
  • 92 Araujo
  • 82 Reserve de la Comtesse
  • 89 Chateu Lynch-Bages
  • 97 Harlan
  • 02 Shaffer Hillside Select
  • 14 Component (A new project in Napa. It was 100% Cab. Put this through iSommelier 5 hour decant)
  • 12 Kapcsandy Grand Vin
  • 07 Sloan
  • 07 Vine Cliff Pickett Road
  • 05 Seven Stones
  • 14 Component (same as above - opened for 1 hour for side by side tasting)
  • 10 Blankiet
  • 06 Dom

Started the night with Dom, Blankiet and Seven Stones. Moved on to dinner and a vertical tasting of the 92 Araujo, 97 Harlan, 02 Hillside, 07 Sloan and 12 Kapcsandy. Then the bordeaux. Wow - what a contrast! Followed that up with the iSommelier challenge. The Component is damn fine in its own right. Rumor is that the grapes are sourced from Bill Harlan, but the owner, who was present, will not divulge. Finished the night with Tusk, Pickett Road and Dominus.

The Hillside was a consensus top contender while all of the wines were worthy of praise in such esteemed company. Cheers!
TP Ag '87
AG
My goodness, that's awesome. May I ask how many folks split all those?
cheeky
AG
8 people
BSD
AG
Wow. Just wow.
bularry
Stagecoach said:

8 people
impressive! tip of the cap to y'all's livers
BigAg95
AG
I'm enjoying catching up on this thread. The wife's been pregnant or nursing for 4 years, so I haven't had much wine at home. We should be back in the game in the next few months, so I am starting to stock up the cellar. I appreciate all ofthe great suggestions and info you guys post here!
cecil77
AG
Two more high QPR wines:

2014 Chateau Beasejour Becot St. Emilion 1er Grand Cru: $60 at Total Wine but $51 is mix 6 bottles purchased. One if the wineries we visited in May.

2015 Clos Pegase Cabernet Franc: About $40 (I think), club price was $32.

OK, three (That kinda night...)
2013 McCall Cab Franc (North Fork of Long Island).
The polar opposite of the Clos Pegase. California is ripe, fruity, 15%+ ABV, and very good. The McCall, is earthy, savory, 13.9% ABV, and very good.
Tumble Weed
Picked up 6 bottles from St Emilion and we are slowly working our way through them.

So far the best of this lot has been a 2015 Cheval Brun St Emilion Gran Cru.

The worst (which we never seem to discuss here) was a 2015 Chataeu Puygueraud Bordeaux. Nearly undrinkable.

Had a 2014 Chateau Laplagnotte-Bellevue St Emilion Gran Cru last night. It is a nice middle of the pack wine. You can serve it to your brother in law or drink it on a weekday.

Also had a 2015 Chateau Daugay St Emilion Gran Cru over the weekend. It was OK, but not memorable. You can open it up after you have served a few bottles of the good stuff and you need to protect your cellar.

cecil77
AG

Thanks! I'll look for the Chevel Brun.

Quote:

You can open it up after you have served a few bottles of the good stuff and you need to protect your cellar.
Glad to know I'm no the only one who does that!
BigAg95
AG
Project Re-Stocking the cellar is officially underway. I picked up some grocery store wines at a 30% off sale this weekend. Got 2-4 bottles of each:

2013 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano sangiovese
2015 Belle Glos Dairyman pinot
2015 Hess Allomi cab
2013 Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab
2014 Hess Select Treo red blend
2013 Louis Martini Napa Valley cab
2016 Oak Farms zin
2015 Orin Swift Abstract red rhone blend
2015 Prisoner zin blend
2016 Seghesio Family Sonoma zin

Hoping to get some better stuff in September when the wine club emails start rolling in. I haven't bought from any of them in a few years, so not sure what I will be able to get.

cecil77
AG
Served Allomi at my son's wedding a few weeks ago. It was fine, but not as good as I'd remembered it from years ago. Probably me, more than the wine.
BigAg95
AG
Yeah, I have not had it in a few years but remember it being decent for the price point. Picked up this time because it was marked down to $22, seemed worth giving it another shot.
bularry
BigAg95 said:

Project Re-Stocking the cellar is officially underway. I picked up some grocery store wines at a 30% off sale this weekend. Got 2-4 bottles of each:

2013 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano sangiovese
2015 Belle Glos Dairyman pinot
2015 Hess Allomi cab
2013 Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab
2014 Hess Select Treo red blend
2013 Louis Martini Napa Valley cab
2016 Oak Farms zin
2015 Orin Swift Abstract red rhone blend
2015 Prisoner zin blend
2016 Seghesio Family Sonoma zin

Hoping to get some better stuff in September when the wine club emails start rolling in. I haven't bought from any of them in a few years, so not sure what I will be able to get.

you can also go to more specialized wine shops to buy local instead of grocery stores and/or mailing lists.
BigAg95
AG
Yeah, we have some good options around here. I mainly buy from two area shops. I just picked up the wine above due to the 30% off sale.
cecil77
AG
2015 La Fleur Cardinal - St Emilion Grand Cru.

Very nice. A little young, but still worth drinking. Low $40 range.

Fairly highly rated as well.
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

2015 La Fleur Cardinal - St Emilion Grand Cru.

Very nice. A little young, but still worth drinking. Low $40 range.

Fairly highly rated as well.
Added the Becot and the Cardinal to my list to buy.

Last night we pulled the cork on a 2015 Chateau Puynormond St Emilion. It was surprising light for this region, but had a nice nose. Very well balanced wine. Will buy it again for a weekday wine. I think that I am down to my last St Emilion bottle so it is time to head back to the store.

We are spending two days in this region (August 14-16) at Clos Mauvinon.

What were your favorite wineries to visit when you were in this area?

cecil77
AG
Chateau Villemaurine
In town. Nice tasting/tour. Access to the cave network (originally limestone quarry) under the city.

Chateau La Gaffeliere
Got to have the front end manager has our host. Her best friend is from Waco! Mostly talked industry stuff.

We also did Troplong Mondot, Beau Sejour Becot, Pavie Macquin, and Tertre Rotebeouf.

If you can get into Tertre Routebeouf, it's worth it. It's a non-commercial tour/tasting. the winemaker does the it, and it's out of their house. It's a cool story... Tertre Rotebeouf No wine for sale, and it's expensive. If they chose to, they'd be a Class A with Angelus, Pavie, Cheval Blanc and Ausone.

Trip of a lifetime! Spend time on foot in the village and eat really good food!
Tumble Weed
A cave tour at Villemaurine looks like fun. It's only 12 euro so I will see if we can get in.

I have been wondering about parking at St Emilion. It looks like it is pedistrian traffic only. Since we are about 5k away, we could just walk into the village or call an uber.

Did you have a favorite cafe or restaurant in St Emilion? Not looking for Michelin stars, just a nice cafe with good food.
cecil77
AG
There's plenty of metered parking. Several lots. We found the one by the cathedral (I think on the side of town you're coming from, but not sure) to be most convenient. It's a tiny village, once parked you can walk all of it.

Most any restaurant will be a treat. We enjoyed L'Envers du Decor - ate there twice.
HTownAg98
Another good cheap wine. 2015 Domaine du Mistral Cotes du Rhone Villages Plan de Dieu. Lots of typical dark fruit, some garrigue, and loads of tannin. It's a little harsh on its own, but this would be a fantastic wine to have with bbq. There's enough fruit and tannin to withstand the fat and smoke from bbq. Around $10.
cheeky
AG
Looking to add a few cases of Pinot daily drinkers. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Champ de reves
Macphail
Arista
Rochioli
Penner Ash
Elk Cove
Jayson
Chateau de la Cree "santenay",
Pats & Hall
Corton bressandes Grand Cru

Other suggestions?
BigAg95
AG
Hit a tasting at my neighborhood shop and picked up another couple of mixed cases. Grabbed some more Belle Glos pinot, and some Outpost Zin, Quilt cab, Rombauer Zin, some solid barberas, some Sauternes, and a few bottles of Egly-Ouriet bubbly. They also had some nice cabs - M. Etain, Dunn, and Shafer, but I was able to maintain a modicum of self control.

The only thing I am missing that I'd like to keep on hand is some white/red Bordeaux and Burgundy, some Piedmont reds, and some quality Spanish Red. And I am always looking for good cabs to set aside for later as well.
steve00
AG
I'm not on y'alls level, but maybe I can bring a unique perspective. I go to Valle de Guadalupe a lot, and I think it's great. Lots of interesting and unusual wines. More experimentation and blending than in other areas.

My favorite winemaker in the area that doesn't distribute had some new wines that he didn't have labels for yet. His next wines are in barrels in the background.
cecil77
AG
Will be in Arizona next week. Any thoughts in wineries there?
cecil77
AG

WTSO back in Texas
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

WTSO back in Texas

Old school Brad would have been all over that.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.