Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,145 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep Underwood cans in the wine fridge. It's not the best, but it works when we only want a glass.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yep, I've tried those too. And agree with that take.

Don't think I'd even give reds in a can a shot.
HTownAg98
Wine #1.
Wine #2.
TP Ag '87
AG
Had a Bending Branch Mourvedre on Saturday that I had picked up earlier this year. Me and buddy were blown away. Beautiful color and balance. Just think that's a great wine, and at a reasonable price.

Also had the Paso Primer from Caduceus (James Maynard Keenan front-man of Tool). BIG, hearty red. Good offering and my first AZ red.

Was a good night.
bularry
jh0400 said:

I keep Underwood cans in the wine fridge. It's not the best, but it works when we only want a glass.
i bought a bottle of that rose to see what I thought about it and if buying some cans would be good.

it was awful. poured it out.
bularry
were they any good? never been a fan of Napa syrah or J still pinot, but been a while since I had either.
ILikeTacos
AG
So based on this thread I bought the wife some rose in a can while I was at the store. I came home from a buddies on saturday and night and find all of the rose in a can is gone and a drunk wife...

I asked her how the rose was, and she said it "[expletive deleted] sucked!" I then asked he why she drank it all, and she told me she didn't want to be wasteful. I married a lush...
HTownAg98
bularry said:

were they any good? never been a fan of Napa syrah or J still pinot, but been a while since I had either.

The Pinot was better than the Syrah, but we liked both.
BSD
AG
The Rivers Marie cab release is today. I picked up the Herb Lamb and some Napa blends for the wife.
HTownAg98
Hopefully you got some Two Old Dogs too. It's the second wine of Herb Lamb.
HTownAg98
Drank this tonight with some grilled costillas de res. A good food wine for grilled meats because it has some acidity and isn't over-oaked. No faults garnacha from Spain for $12 at HEB.
htxag09
AG
Just had a tasting with Alex at MacDonald. It was a great time, crossing my fingers I can get on the allocation list this year....
BullSprig07
AG
Nice, that's been on my regular rotation for weeknight quaffers for a couple years now. Pick it up from Heights Kroger on 11th. For me $10-$18 Spanish reds offer the best value for every day drinking.
TP Ag '87
AG
Wife and I spent Monday and Tuesday in the Finger Lakes, after a stop in Cooperstown. I think we hit ~8 wineries, some I had researched, some I had previously been to previously, and a few our AirBnB owner recommended.

Still can't recommend a single red from the region. Their Cab Franc and Pinots just have too much alcohol taste. But, once again, found some nice whites: (dry) Rieslings, Chards, and, new to me, a white Merlot. Stars were Belangelo and Herman J. Wiemer.

Beautiful place, wonderful views, decent wine, great weather. Watkins Glen State Park hike was awesome.

If you're ever in the area and want to try something a bit different, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

(Oh, and the Belangelo Rose' in a can is decent enough to drink around the pool in 100+ degrees back home.)
aggiejumper
AG
How was it? Haven't made it to see them yet but hear great things. Luckily I've been on the list for a few years but haven't popped any of the bottles yet.
jh0400
AG
Have you been across the border to try the Canadian wines? Now instead of staying in Buffalo and hitting the Finger Lakes we're thinking staying in Toronto or Niagara on the Lake.
TP Ag '87
AG
No, actually hadn't even crossed my mind. I know next to nothing about the offerings N of the border.
BSD
AG
aggiejumper said:

How was it? Haven't made it to see them yet but hear great things. Luckily I've been on the list for a few years but haven't popped and of the bottles yet.

The '13 I tasted with them at a tasting was one of the absolute best wines I've had out of Napa. Just a beautiful wine! Mine are still sleeping.
cecil77
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

Nice, that's been on my regular rotation for weeknight quaffers for a couple years now. Pick it up from Heights Kroger on 11th. For me $10-$18 Spanish reds offer the best value for every day drinking.

I agree, although maybe a tad above $18. If you can find a Mencia (grape variety) from the Bierzo region, usually low $20s, get it.

Also, for us, the $30-40 Bordeaux is a sweet spot. Example: 2012 Chateau De Ferrand St Emilion Grand Cru.
$40 at Total Wine, but there's a 15% (6+) sale right now, so for $34 a very nice wine.
BSD
AG
Speaking of BDX, we had a 2006 Pontet Canet at Pappas Bros the other night. I liked the wine, not the restaurant's price. I've had aged Pontet Canet before and always enjoyed it. I may backfill on some old vintages.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

Speaking of BDX, we had a 2006 Pontet Canet at Pappas Bros the other night. I liked the wine, not the restaurant's price. I've had aged Pontet Canet before and always enjoyed it. I may backfill on some old vintages.
Looked interesting until I saw they say they're biodynamic. I just have a very difficult time buying wine that touts biodynamics...

Also, amazing price for a 5th growth! Wow!
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

Water Turkey07 said:

I agree, although maybe a tad above $18. If you can find a Mencia (grape variety) from the Bierzo region, usually low $20s, get it.

Also, for us, the $30-40 Bordeaux is a sweet spot. Example: 2012 Chateau De Ferrand St Emilion Grand Cru.
$40 at Total Wine, but there's a 15% (6+) sale right now, so for $34 a very nice wine.
I am going to give this Grand Cru a try. Let me see if the College Station Specs has it....
HTownAg98
St. Emilion grand cru is probably one of the best Bordeaux values out there. I like them a lot.
HTownAg98
BSD said:

It's hard to enjoy Pappas Bros. wine prices unless you are on someone's expense report.
BigAg95
AG
YMMV, but my Costco has 2014 Hall cab for $42. Solid cab at that price and a good one to stockpile in your cellar.
greenband
AG
BigAg95 said:

YMMV, but my Costco has 2014 Hall cab for $42. Solid cab at that price and a good one to stockpile in your cellar.
I have bad luck with Costco wine - I don't think they do a good job of storing the wine or maybe they leave on the loading dock in Texas heat at 100 degrees plus.

A high percentage of the wine (~20%) seems to be bad.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

St. Emilion grand cru is probably one of the best Bordeaux values out there. I like them a lot.
Also, if you can find them, the 2nd labels from St Emilion Premier Grand Cru B are very good at a similar price point.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

BSD said:

It's hard to enjoy Pappas Bros. wine prices unless you are on someone's expense report.

I don't find it hard to enjoy at all...until I get the bill.
cecil77
AG
2014 Realm Tempest tonight. With steak and grilled onions.

Life is good!
htxag09
AG
cecil77 said:

2014 Realm Tempest tonight. With steak and grilled onions.

Life is good!

We had a large format 2007 tempest with Juan today. Life is good, indeed.
HTownAg98
I'm the opposite tonight. A $10 Altovinum "Evodia" Old Vines Garnacha. All grenache, no oak. Likely the best $10 red wine you're going to find. Available at the HEB. I'm trying not to drink the whole bottle myself and failing badly.
htxag09
AG
aggiejumper said:

How was it? Haven't made it to see them yet but hear great things. Luckily I've been on the list for a few years but haven't popped any of the bottles yet.

The wine was great, especially for how young it is. For the price definitely looking to add my allocation, hopefully I get some, from here on out. But the tour was amazing. Alex and his brother have definitely done the vineyard and family research and the amount of knowledge he has is absurd.
BSD
AG
Although it seems like I partake more than I should, I really just have a glass and then my wife and friends finish the bottle. I've cut way back on buying too, now it's more purchases from friends' wineries...and champagne. I always figured Realm would be cut off the buying list since I can get juice from the same vineyards from other wineries I already buy from (Crane from Myriad, To Kalon from macDonald, etc), but damn. I can't cut that cord. Their wines are just too good. I'm jealous of y'all tonight.

Cecil, someday we will drink Yquem!
BullSprig07
AG
Im thinking we have the same taste, in budget wine at least, that's in my regular rotation as well. And I have the same struggle with finishing bottles solo, especially lately with the wife knocked up.
HTownAg98
Mine is dog sitting this weekend at her mom's house, so it's "cook everything my wife doesn't like" until she comes home Sunday. And that also means I'm drinking more wine.
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.