Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,240 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
BigAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

WTSO back in Texas
I'm intrigued by the CdP they have on offer right now....
bularry
i get WTSO emails and have never once thought about buying something.
BSD
AG
They once had Petrus for less than $400. I still kick myself for not jumping on it. It was gone when I finally wanted to pull the trigger.
cecil77
AG
I got a 2003 Y'Quem for a good price. Also discovered the Mencia grape (Bierzo DOC) for about twenty bucks that was really good.
greenband
AG
WTSO - How do they handle shipping to Texas in the Summer - I've had several places (even better wineries in Napa) screw up a whole case that got baked on the truck.
cecil77
AG
greenband said:

WTSO - How do they handle shipping to Texas in the Summer - I've had several places (even better wineries in Napa) screw up a whole case that got baked on the truck.

I don't know, but I don't give them the chance to. 11/1 to 3/31 is the only time I order/ship.
aggiejumper
AG
They'll hold your shipment til the fall, or at least they did before they got kicked out of TX a few years ago.
HTownAg98
The first fall allocation has hit my inbox: Herman Story.
JCA1
AG
HTownAg98 said:

They make some good Grenache.
BigAg95
AG
aggiejumper said:

They'll hold your shipment til the fall, or at least they did before they got kicked out of TX a few years ago.

I just ordered a few bottles of Amarone from WTSO. You can pick the ship date. Still a little warm here in Chicagoland, so I am having them send it in September.
TP Ag '87
AG
I've commented on these wines previously, but never visited:

Caduceus Tasting Room
cecil77
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

I've commented on these wines previously, but never visited:

Caduceus Tasting Room
...and those comments were..?
TP Ag '87
AG
Looks like they've changed their format since last time I looked there as it used to be only 1 offering at a time.
HTownAg98
JCA1 said:

HTownAg98 said:

They make some good Grenache.

Evidently, they also have a pretty crazy release party. Their people were still hung over Monday morning.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2015 Chateau Beau-Sjour "Instant Becot." An easy drinking St. Emilion with no faults and in balance. Not expecting much more for $12, and it over delivers. 64% merlot, 15% cab franc, 2% cab sauv, 1% malbec. Found at Austin Wine Merchant.
Tumble Weed
My second stop in Europe will be near Sion in Switzerland. Nobody ever talks about wines from this region.

I understand that they are probably overshadowed by France and Italy, but do yall have any winery recommendations for Switzerland?
SouthTex99
AG
Gents - I'm not new to drinking the juice but I am new to learning about it. I've read through about half of this thread and it's just been a treat to listen in. This is a great resource!

I'm in the midst of planning a Napa trip for my wife and I, will be staying at a hotel in Napa in November. I want to visit too many places to count, but will limit to 3 or 4 per day for 2-3 days.

I need advice on how to get around please. Can you recommend a driver service or tour service for me? Rough plan:

Day 1 - Calistoga area:

Envy
Von Strasser
Behrens and/or Rombauer

Day 2 - Rutherford area:

Quintessa
Alpha Omega
Caymus or Nickel & Nickel
Far Niente

Given that info, how would you set up your day? Do I need to worry about food options for lunch? Would like to run across some Rivers Marie wine, not sure how to go about that either.

Thank you!

FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

My second stop in Europe will be near Sion in Switzerland. Nobody ever talks about wines from this region.
Because they drink it all and consequently you can't buy any without going to Switzerland. My inlaws took a trip there and raved about it. I guess more the Chasselas than anything else. I don't remember where they were.

(I'm sure some wine shop somewhere has a bottle you can buy.)
cecil77
AG
Four per day is too many for us. Three max. In fact two, one in the morning, one after lunch seems to be optimal, for us...

Wasn't impressed with Envy. Maybe Carter, or better yet Jericho Canyon in that area.

Far Niente worth it for the car museum alone!
jh0400
AG
I agree with this. Two then lunch then one after is about the perfect mix for us. Our first trip out we did five or six in one day, and by the end of the day the wines were all starting to run together.
MooreTrucker
AG
We did four or five in a day, too. And like jh said, they kinda started to run together. We'd by one or two bottles at most from most of them, but only cases and joining wine clubs from a couple that REALLY stood out...aka the first one of each day.
BSD
AG
SouthTex99 said:

Would like to run across some Rivers Marie wine, not sure how to go about that either.

Contact Will at Rivers Marie. His email is on the contact page of the website. They make wine and taste through those wines at Mending Wall now.

I'd personally pick Behrens over Rombauer based on my tastes and the fact that you can get Rombauer just about anywhere.

And I agree with others. Three a day (one before lunch and two after) is plenty. if you are still thirsty, find a walk in tasting room that is open later (Girard)...or a bar.
SouthTex99
AG
This is great, thanks for the feedback! How do you guys get around the area when you visit? Do you drive? Hire a driver? The touring companies sound ok but I don't really want to go to their places and be on their schedule.

752bro4
AG
Do Far Niente over Nickel & Nickel (same ownership), you get the cars at Far Niente, and, as someone said, that alone is worth the price
I've been told Caymus tasting isn't worth it for $/oz consumed
Rombauer has some great views, we enjoyed it

O'Brien is my favorite out there, but have to be a member to buy the juice, and I think they're full, but the tasting is still great.

We're trying PlumpJack, Schramsberg, Realm, and stopping in at Vintner's Collective over 2 days, and will probably squeeze in a tasting room as well. We're also doing St. Francis, Gundlach Bundschu, and Kamen on another day.

Getting around - if doing 2 tastings in a day, we drive. If doing more, or with a group, we use a car service/van/sprinter. Have used Sonoma Sterling Limo before and am doing it again in a few weeks. Just google, you'll find plenty of options.
greenband
AG
For someone to drive you around, I would strongly recommend Barry. Smart guy and well connected:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32766-d3244163-Reviews-Napa_Valley_Tours_Why_Spit-Napa_Napa_Valley_California.html

winetour@whyspit.com
707-812-5005

When I go to Napa I like to spend time enjoying wines that are smaller production and not widely distributed. I would skip Rombauer.

For the wineries you tour I would ask Barry for suggestions based on the price point of the wines you might purchase. The more exclusive and smaller wineries typically expect some type of purchase - especially if they are setting up a private appointment. Just let him know wineries you enjoy.

I typically do 3-4 wineries a day - a lot depends on the type of appointment though. For private tastings that include a tour of the facilities and history of the winery they often will just start opening bottles and you can drink far more than a typical tasting. 3 of these per day is plenty.

If you are just stopping by different wineries, maybe sharing a tasting with your wife, then 4+ is doable.

ILikeTacos
AG
I second NOT going to Rombauer. I went once and realized the only wine worth drinking is their chardonnay and you can get it anywhere. That being said Rombauer Chardonnay is excellent...

I love the grounds at Quintessa, I think it might be one of the prettiest wineries I have been to, and they show you their tanks and cave and it is cool. I don't think it was worth the price but only because I am not a huge fan of their cabs.

Just my .02 from my last trip in May.

MooreTrucker
AG
Not germain to the current topic, but speaking of nice grounds, which Central Coast winery does the Ben Hogan series wines? They have a driving range outside the building where you can hit golf balls into the vineyard.
HTownAg98
MooreTrucker said:

Not germain to the current topic, but speaking of nice grounds, which Central Coast winery does the Ben Hogan series wines? They have a driving range outside the building where you can hit golf balls into the vineyard.

I think Castoro made those wines.
HTownAg98
Last night we had a 204 Bodegas Juan Gil Jumilla 18 Meses (the blue label Juan Gil). This is a massive monastrell (mourvedre). This is a massive wine, with loads of dark fruits. There's some graphite and earthiness as well. The little brother of Clio, and a very good QPR at $25.
aggiejumper
AG
What's crazy is we were at that winery in April and the blue bottles are something like 10 euros. Great QPR here but silly QPR over there.
HTownAg98
aggiejumper said:

What's crazy is we were at that winery in April and the blue bottles are something like 10 euros. Great QPR here but silly QPR over there.

We must find a way to get this shipped here at that price.
MooreTrucker
AG
HTownAg98 said:

MooreTrucker said:

I think Castoro made those wines.
I looked it up. It's Veris Cellars (JanKris).

I do have a really cool cycling jersey from Castoro.
BSD
AG
William & Mary 2016 release is today.

This is Will Segui's wine label: a cab sauv and a 50/50 franc/merlot blend. I've shared my thoughts on it in the past but if you need someone else's view, Roy Piper really loved it and I highly respect his views on all things Napa. If you care, just hit Will up thru the website.

https://williammarywineco.com/
htxag09
AG
Was just looking at my allocation email....

I'd love to grab some, but unfortunately blew through my wine budget on my Napa trip a couple weeks ago....

They come in 3 packs, if anybody wants 1/2 bottles of each I'd be up for splitting some...
greenband
AG
BSD said:

William & Mary 2016 release is today.

This is Will Segui's wine label: a cab sauv and a 50/50 franc/merlot blend. I've shared my thoughts on it in the past but if you need someone else's view, Roy Piper really loved it and I highly respect his views on all things Napa. If you care, just hit Will up thru the website.

https://williammarywineco.com/
What is the price point and what would you compare it to?
First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.