Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,330 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the input y'all!
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Bordeaux is kind of crap shoot when it comes to quality when the wines are under $50.
True, but I would recommend looking for a Cru Bourgeois classified wine. Unlike the higher classed ones from Bordeaux, this classification is renewed annually. So there is an incentive against having a bad year. Also, the wine is evaluated in a blind tasting. Now this being wine and France, there is a boat load of politics and hurt feelings but for a rule of thumb it's a good starting point.

I bought a case from Medoc (on sale) for $10 a bottle, not including tax. It's not life changing or anything like that but a pretty good wine at that price point is a good bargain no matter the region. This one just happens to be a Bordeaux.
BSD
AG
Just bought a bottle of 1996 Salon Champagne. I got free shipping if I bought a case of wine so I rounded out the box with 11 x 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne!

(and I'm done buying champagne for at least a year, maybe 2)
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

BSD
AG
Oh crap, I forgot that Maybach is tomorrow. Ouch.
HTownAg98
BSD said:

Just bought a bottle of 1996 Salon Champagne. I got free shipping if I bought a case of wine so I rounded out the box with 11 x 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne!

That sounds like an alternative fact.
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

First world problem that I don't have.
cheeky
AG
Anyon buying Favia?
BSD
AG
Stagecoach said:

BSD said:

It doesn't have to be. I sent you a text.
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
Anyone ever stayed at the Poetry Inn outside of Yountville? Staying there for 3 days in March, but there isn't much info about it online.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just got a few kind of wines to try for the first time each.... One wine from each of these 3 countries.

1. Italy - DOC Nebbiolo 2014 from Piedmont, specifically the Langhe hills in the Alba area. I really just wanted to try this grape variety for the first time to see what it's like. Have never had it before to my knowledge.

2. France - Beaujolais 2015. Have had a Beaujolais nouveau in the past, but it's been a while and I wanted to get a gamay wine to try out that wasn't BN. This one is a Beaujolais-Villages, so from the north. Not Cru unfortunately!

3. Spain - DOC Priorat red, 2012. Really looking forward to this one. This one is Grenache-based with Mazuelo (AKA Carignan) playing 2nd fiddle. I see that it's listed as DOQ but just found out that Priorat wines use DOQ instead of DOC. Hmm. Thanks Wikipedia!
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

Stagecoach said:

BSD said:

It doesn't have to be. I sent you a text.
Appreciate it. Check your email
cecil77
AG
Wine need alert:
"grape variety" not "grape varietal".

Sorry, can't help it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
cecil77 said:

Wine need alert:

Sorry, can't help it.

Oops
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nerd* alert.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
bularry
Chipotlemonger said:

Just got a few kind of wines to try for the first time each.... One wine from each of these 3 countries.

1. Italy - DOC Nebbiolo 2014 from Piedmont, specifically the Langhe hills in the Alba area. I really just wanted to try this grape variety for the first time to see what it's like. Have never had it before to my knowledge.

2. France - Beaujolais 2015. Have had a Beaujolais nouveau in the past, but it's been a while and I wanted to get a gamay wine to try out that wasn't BN. This one is a Beaujolais-Villages, so from the north. Not Cru unfortunately!

3. Spain - DOC Priorat red, 2012. Really looking forward to this one. This one is Grenache-based with Mazuelo (AKA Carignan) playing 2nd fiddle. I see that it's listed as DOQ but just found out that Priorat wines use DOQ instead of DOC. Hmm. Thanks Wikipedia!

I'm a huge fan of Nebbiolo from Langhe. No idea which producer you have there. 14 will be young but should drink well.

Lots of people love Gamay but I've never tried one I cared for, let us know what you think.
cecil77
AG
Dang autocorrect and 62 year old eyes looking at a phone!
Phat32
AG
Palmaz shipments always make me happy.
bularry
cecil77 said:

Wine need alert:

Sorry, can't help it.
per my internet grammar sleuthing, I'm not sure this is a steadfast rule.

varietal usually refers to a specific type of grape, so in that context, using varietal or variety is fine. {I think}
cecil77
AG
I've spent a stupid amount of time on this.

"Variety" is a noun.

"Varietal" is an adjective.

When the new world begin making wine from a single variety of grape they were a "varietally labeled wine" which then became a "varietal wine", which then got truncated to a "varietal" (wine). Therefore a bottle of wine made from the Cabernet Sauvignon grape variety, was a "varietal wine" and also "a bottle of Cabernet". Over time the distinction got blurred and just due to sloppy word usage it became common to equate "Cabernet" and "varietal" - however the context was as a bottle of wine. With time people began to use the word "varietal" to describe a grape variety. That's not correct.
So, if you use "varietal" as a noun be sure you're referring to wine made from a single variety of grape.

The misuse is now as common as kids saying "me and John are going to the mall". So you'll see it misused a lot, oftentimes by people who should know better.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Question for BSD or anyone who wants to add input.

I am going to Napa in March with a group of 10-12. We are renting a house and we are bringing in a chef one of the nights. I invited Mike and Leah Smith for dinner and of course to bring their wines for tasting.

So is there any etiquette to this BSD? Obviously they will be fed, but should we just plan on buying several bottles of his labels for dinner that night? Anything else I should do for them?

This is just a new experience for me and I'm little shocked he said yes!
BPCAg05
AG
I am not able to help, but I just want to say that sounds awesome
BSD
AG
I would have everyone there be ready to buy his wines right then and there, should he offer (well, he'll have some at the warehouse that hell ship, he won't bring wine to sell). Who knows, he might not have any to sell. But what I would do is buy a bottle of nice champagne or Yquem as a treat for them since they are providing the rest of the booze.
jh0400
AG
Any recs for places to visit in the Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Sebastopol area?
bularry
cecil77 said:

I've spent a stupid amount of time on this.

"Variety" is a noun.

"Varietal" is an adjective.

When the new world begin making wine from a single variety of grape they were a "varietally labeled wine" which then became a "varietal wine", which then got truncated to a "varietal" (wine). Therefore a bottle of wine made from the Cabernet Sauvignon grape variety, was a "varietal wine" and also "a bottle of Cabernet". Over time the distinction got blurred and just due to sloppy word usage it became common to equate "Cabernet" and "varietal" - however the context was as a bottle of wine. With time people began to use the word "varietal" to describe a grape variety. That's not correct.
So, if you use "varietal" as a noun be sure you're referring to wine made from a single variety of grape.

The misuse is now as common as kids saying "me and John are going to the mall". So you'll see it misused a lot, oftentimes by people who should know better.
awesome, good stuff!
bularry
jh0400 said:

Any recs for places to visit in the Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Sebastopol area?
literally hundreds of wineries and tasting rooms, depending on what you like.

a few years ago went to Lynmar and it was a fun visit. nice tasting room, pretty good wines, wide variety, not too expensive. I like Unti in Dry Creek Valley just because they make some interesting types of wine (Italian varieties). I think they require an appt. (at least used to). If you want to spend $$ Papapietro Perry does a cheese pairing and wine tasting that is pretty good and you get to taste a lot of wine. requires appt and is like $45 per person I think.

Lots of wineries have tasting rooms in Healdsburg, so if you like that you can walk around the square and do lots of tastings. I prefer driving to the wineries just to see the area a bit and break up the drinking, but I could see the appeal of staying in the square area.
BSD
AG
I'd have to look but I've posted in the past about West Dry Creek road and some of my favorites. Bella, Zichichi (sp), Papapietro Perry... and a pre-tasting hike thru Armstrong St Park. On the other side, Lancaster and Chalk Hill are fun. You'll need appointments for those to get the better experience.
houag80
AG
For pinots in Sebastapol try Merry Edwards. Agree with Lynmar and Bella.
BullSprig07
AG
Go by Siduri in Santa Rosa. It's in a warehouse district but owned by Texans. Great pinot and cool people.
bularry
Water Turkey07 said:

Go by Siduri in Santa Rosa. It's in a warehouse district but owned by Texans. Great pinot and cool people.
Adam still runs it and he is the winemaker, but he sold out to Jackson Family a couple years ago I think.
HTownAg98
Siduri has a tasting room in Healdsburg now.
BullSprig07
AG
Correct, Just a habit of calling it his (Diana's) winery
BSD
AG
Realm single vineyard wines will be released next Tuesday. They are also releasing a white wine and their first estate wine, Moonracer. I'll probably pick up one of each.

Also, if is anyone is interested in purchasing a 2008 DRC la Tache, let's talk!
aggiejumper
AG
Did Realm change their white wine name from Ibid to Fidelio?
BSD
AG
They must have. It is a Sauv blanc as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 123 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.