Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,275,873 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by QBCade
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any Orin Swift drinkers here? Wondering what Mercury Head is like.
Matsui
AG
Big fan... I'm just here to read
TP Ag '87
AG
I mentioned this podcast/blog WAY back when on this thread,...

Sat on a Google Hangout with a small group of folks who are readers/listeners of Wine for Normal People. Woman/Certified Somm who runs the thing, Elizabeth Schneider, has finished writing her book, has an agent and is in talks with publishers but wanted some "normal people" feedback.

Definitely shooting for the kind of folks on this thread (maybe not BSD, HTown or Cecil, TexAgs resident wine experts) in sort of a "your second wine book" kinda thing. It's pretty fascinating to see the sausage being made. Will also be interesting to see what eventually becomes of it.
cecil77
AG
I'll look forward to that. I've rarely read anything about wine that I didn't learn something from. It's a HUGE wine world out there and getting bigger!
aggiemike02
AG
solid
tgivaughn
AG
Stagecoach - Please teach us more about this particular climate control - a goal of this remodel?
Thriller
AG
So many different Pinots on the R-M release next week. Which to choose...?
BSD
AG
Thriller said:

So many different Pinots on the R-M release next week. Which to choose...?
Summa and Summa Old Vines to start. Sonoma Coast for less expensive nights.
Comeby!
AG
Just want to chime in that I've had two wine club deliveries in the last two days. It's like Christmas every time these things come in.
cheeky
AG
tgivaughn said:

Stagecoach - Please teach us more about this particular climate control - a goal of this remodel?

Yes it was. I bought the cooling unit before I realized what I was getting myself into. Seems like I paid about $1800 for this unit but it was hard to find a dealer who would sell it to me as a non-contractor. I forget who I ultimately used in Houston but could look it up if someone wants the info.

Exterior view

Mounted about 10" from ceiling, cellar is 10' tall. Edit for scale, that's a Jeroboam in the box above the cooler, and directly underneath on the iron rack are magnums.

I installed an outlet high up for the power cord which runs out of the picture slightly to the right and above the LED casing, which nicely illuminates the wall behind the bottles in the iron racks. Also, the temperature sensor runs off the right side near the blue indicator light. I concealed it by running the cord up and over the unit and down the side wall to the very upper right bottle in the mahogany rack. If you look very closely you'll see a sensor wire running into a black bottle stopper. It is a recycled wine bottle that is about 3/4 full of mineral water and there is a sensor wand insid that measures the internal bottle temperature. I keep mine set at 58 because that seems to be where it runs the least to maintain a fairly constant temperature. When it goes up to 59 (as shown in the picture) it kicks back on as it was when I snuck in to snap the photo tonight. It is much quieter than the ice machine which also is in the butler pantry on the other side of the wall. Again 10' ceiling and so no one so far has even recognized it after hosting multiple groups over the holidays.

Finally out of the front, left bottom of the unit (not visible) there is a clear condensation relief tube. I zip tied it down the back of the rack to a lower level bottle that I inserted neck first in the rack to accept the tube out of sight. In the event that condensation is produced, it will drain into the bottle. Our home averages 53% humidity and we run the interior house temp at 75 day, 68 night. So far, not a drop of condensation. This also has created an excellent result with the single pane, tempered glass that I used On the doors. I decided on 1/4" for the glass application to keep the weight down, and bonded it to the stainless steel tube frame of the iron scroll doors with a special glue that is activated by ultraviolet light. The doors were easily the greatest challenge of the entire project. After some trial and error experimentation with various rubber and vinyl sealing applications I have it damn near air tight, and no condensation on the warm side of the glass. This is a big deal in that redoing the doors completely would have added another $4-5k to the project cost.

Once again, the finished product

Very pleased with outcome thus far.
BSD
AG
so nice. I can't wait to design mine. as for now, just a storage locker...
BSD
AG
I ordered Rivers Marie yesterday. Talk about a cut in allocations. Wow. Only 3 Sonoma Coast pinots. Those are what I pour for guests when I don't want to open more expensive bottles but still want them to drink good wine. Hopefully 2016 was a more plentiful crop.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've been learning more about French and Spanish wine as of late.

Any budget value recs of good importers to look for, etc.? I want to start nailing down some differences between the regions.
TP Ag '87
AG
This offering may be a bit lower brow than some on this board but I'll share regardless:

Joined the 90+ Cellar club a while back. Saturday, had what me and guests thought was an outstanding red blend + a very reasonable price:

Monster Red Blend
BSD
AG
nice. Less expensive wines on this thread are always welcomed.

I forgot to mention that I opened a bottle of 2010 Quivet Spring Mountain at dinner in Minneapolis (Alma Restaurant...great spot!) the other night. It was outstanding and in a perfect place. We gave the waiter a sip and he immediately signed up on the list. I also had double black truffles on my ravioli. It was a good night.
SwissAgg
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I've been learning more about French and Spanish wine as of late.

Any budget value recs of good importers to look for, etc.? I want to start nailing down some differences between the regions.
Have you tried the burgundies?
HTownAg98
Burgundy is not where I would begin looking for value.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is it burgundy or Bordeaux that needs more cellar time generally, I can't remember?

Bordeaux offers some 2 year aged bottles ready to drink or age a few years right?

Never had burgundy.
BSD
AG
Both can withstand time in the cellar. In fact, for aging bottles, I buy Bdx and Burgs. I drink Cali wines relatively young.
cecil77
AG
Things are changing. All Bordeaux wines above about $80 are micro oxygenated now. They're great at six years and over the hill at 12.
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

I ordered Rivers Marie yesterday. Talk about a cut in allocations. Wow. Only 3 Sonoma Coast pinots. Those are what I pour for guests when I don't want to open more expensive bottles but still want them to drink good wine. Hopefully 2016 was a more plentiful crop.
I bought a few. Didn't even get fulfilled on one of the pinots where I tried to buy my full allocation. Of course I waited 2 hours after the release. Silly me for be in a meeting!
SwissAgg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Burgundy has the best French reds in my opinion. Bordeaux's are highly overrated and overpriced.
Thriller
AG
I passed on the RM offer. Evidently, new floors are more important. Who knew?
bularry
WhoDatAg said:

HTownAg98 said:

Burgundy has the best French reds in my opinion. Bordeaux's are highly overrated and overpriced.
not really the same thing, though. different varietals.

I don't really drink either, except for some Chablis

Most of the French wines I drink are Rhone, usually So. Rhone (GSM) Aging potential varies wildly, but you can definitely get some cool wines for minimal $$.
bularry
cecil77 said:

Things are changing. All Bordeaux wines above about $80 are micro oxygenated now. They're great at six years and over the hill at 12.
"All"? all appelations? First and Second growths?
cecil77
AG
From what I understand, yes. All that historically would need aging. Including 1st growths.
jrweinberger
I agree with most of the other folks about Bordeaux and Burgundy. Here are my thoughts and some alternatives:

Bordeaux is kind of crap shoot when it comes to quality when the wines are under $50. There are good producers in that price range but I'm usually underwhelmed. Inexpensive Bordeaux in general is just not my cup of tea and when I do buy one it's usually something I've researched before buying. I never go in blind when buying Bordeaux--I've been burned too many times.

Instead of Bordeaux, look to the Loire Valley and specifically at wines made with Cabernet Franc. The wines are earthy, structured, mineral-driven and really fun to drink. I like the appellations of Saumur-Champigny, Chinon, and Bourgueil. These wines can also age for a really long time. Because they are not that expensive it's fun to buy 2 of the same wine -- 1 to drink now and one to put down for a while to see how it changes and evolves.

I like the following producers for Loire Cab Franc: Bernard Baudry, Catherine and Pierre Breton, Chateau Yvonne, Domaine Guiberteau, Olivier Cousin, Domaine Des Roches Neuves (Thierry Germain), Olga Ruffault, Domaine de la Butte (Jacky Blot), Domaine de la Chanteleuserie, Domaine Filliatreau and Domaine du Mortier.

Burgundy is expensive -- there's really no way around it. The wines are beautiful and complex and fun to nerd out over but there is certainly a price wall you have to get over. I don't drink much of it because it's so expensive. It's a special occasion wine for me.

If you like Burgundy but don't want to spend a ton of money you should look south to Beaujolais. Sure, there is still crap Bojo out there but Cru Beaujolais' are almost always a sure bet (The 10 Crus are Morgon, Regnie, Brouilly, Chiroubles, Cote de Brouilly, Fleurie, Saint-Amour, Chenas, Julienas and Moulin-a-Vent). They almost always hit well above their weight when it comes to quality to price ratio and if you like the mineral and terroir-driven Pinot's of Burgundy then these are a great lower cost alternative. Many Cru Beaujolais' also have the structure to age--specifically wines from the Morgon, Fleurie and Moulin-a-Vent appellations.

Specifically, I like the following Beaujolais producers: Jean Foillard, Marcel Lapierre, Bruno Debize, Clos de la Roilette, Guy Breton, Domaine Diochon, Daniel Bouland, Yvon Metras, Yann Bertrand and Jean-Paul Thevenet.

When it comes to French importers these are my favorite: Louis/Dressner, Selection Massale, Kermit Lynch, Jenny and Francois Selections, Zev Rovine and T Elenteny.

Cheers!
BSD
AG
Ok guys, I'm an idiot. Did I order extra Pott for anyone on here? I can't find the relevant emails and ended up with 3 bottles that I didn't account for.
htxag09
AG
Me!
BSD
AG
Seriously? I'm going crazy trying to find the discussion.
BSD
AG
htxag09 said:

Of course you do. K, I'll do those two and the Actaeon.

Thanks!

Ah. It was on here, not email. Ok, I am somewhat sane. On that note, your Actaeon, Majesty Secret Service, and Kaliholmanok are here!
htxag09
AG
Awesome! I'll text you about picking them up this weekend.
BSD
htxag09
AG
Anyone tried Hestan Cabernet Sauvignon Stephanie?

Drinking an '08 now that was a gift from my aunt and uncle. They buy a couple cases every year. A little fruit forward but overall a really good wine, IMO. May be a new favorite of the wife's.
reload85
Jrweinberger with some great advice. I would add that The northern Rhone is a place to dabble in if you love wines with character. There a truly delicious Syrahs that are reasonable from Saint Joseph. An upcoming region called Bre'ze'me is worth keeping an eye on.
First Page Last Page
Page 122 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.