Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,880,892 Views | 38852 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by AgDev01
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiemike89 said:

third coast.. said:

There are still plenty of secondary groups

???? What are they?

Bourbon Finder
Blanton's Bourbon (not just for Blanton's)

Just a couple that I found.
austinag1997
AG
I wan't trying to rain on your parade. I would just be concerned that somehow I would have the government on my arse.

I have been fortunate to find enough great bourbons locally. Hell, I have driven from Austin to Kentucky twice to source my own bourbon. I suspect driving my purchased quantities over multiple state lines was equally illegal.

Sorry, boss.
BeardofZeus01
AG
cclearman said:

Had to try the Whiskey of the year...Dickey BiB...not to my taste!

I love it. Happy to take it off your hands for you.
Westicles
AG
Scored a bottle of ORVW10 today from a local liquor store chain list lottery. It was a surprising yet enjoyable phone call to receive this afternoon.
Wheatables02
AG
cclearman said:

Had to try the Whiskey of the year...Dickey BiB...not to my taste!
I tried it last night. Appears to be between 10 and 12 years old and is the same juice in some of the Barrel Bourbon releases, just not cask strength. Also appears to be extremely similar to the new sourced Smooth Amber Old Scout that is dickel juice. I enjoyed it for $32....much better than the $89 for the Barrel Bourbon and $50 for the SAOS.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Very nice
MJ20/20
AG
If you give me that bottle, I'll clip your nails.
Post removed:
by user
MJ20/20
AG
I bet that bottle was a pretty penny. My grandads house was flooded during Harvey and I was tasked with cleaning the cabinets including the liquor cabinet and found an almost full bottle of Weller antique from the early 80's. I still have a smidge left but it is in a class of its own. Congrats on the find.
MJ20/20
AG
It looked identical to your bottle.
MW03
AG
austinag1997 said:

I wan't trying to rain on your parade. I would just be concerned that somehow I would have the government on my arse.

I have been fortunate to find enough great bourbons locally. Hell, I have driven from Austin to Kentucky twice to source my own bourbon. I suspect driving my purchased quantities over multiple state lines was equally illegal.

Sorry, boss.

Eh, no sweat. Just been a long week and I got a little sensitive.
BeardofZeus01
AG
13 years old - distilled fall of 2005
MJ20/20
AG
Anyone tried Pure Kentucky XO from Willet distillery? I picked up a bottle on a rec from one of the barrel selectors at the Specs in downtown Houston. I can't tell if I'm drinking bourbon or chewing a pack of big red gum.
Post removed:
by user
MJ20/20
AG
Lesson learned my man. I live way out of town and thought he'd have some decent input. On the other hand, I did get a specs barrel pick of larceny and it was very good. My wife is pretty much a daily Weller drinker and she said it was damn close to Weller.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Lesson learned my man. I live way out of town and thought he'd have some decent input. On the other hand, I did get a specs barrel pick of larceny and it was very good. My wife is pretty much a daily Weller drinker and she said it was damn close to Weller.

Barrel proof?
MJ20/20
AG
Yes, I think it came in at 63 or 64% and really good finish. Nose was pretty hot but you never get the heat when you drink it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Barrel picks of larceny are standard proof.

I'd doubt there's larceny barrel proof in Texas yet, this month is the first national batch and Texas lags behind in heaven hill releases typically.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Barrel picks of larceny are standard proof.

I'd doubt there's larceny barrel proof in Texas yet, this month is the first national batch and Texas lags behind in heaven hill releases typically.

And like that I'm wrong.

Win some lose some.

Barrel picks are still whatever the regular proof is
MJ20/20
AG
They were still in the box. It didn't look like they'd been there long at all.
MJ20/20
AG
It was not a barrel pick. My original post is a mess. It should read barrel proof.
Naveronski
AG
Is there a list anywhere of "bottles that are good under $40/50/60"? Or "if you find this on the shelf, buy it for the secondary market"?
John Francis Donaghy
Naveronski said:

Is there a list anywhere of "bottles that are good under $40/50/60"? Or "if you find this on the shelf, buy it for the secondary market"?

No.
V8Aggie
AG
Naveronski said:

Ugh, don't be one of those people...
aggiecouch
Naveronski said:

You're the one looking to actively hurt the average bourbon drinker, the least you could do is put in some ****ing effort
Vade281
AG
Naveronski said:

TX Bourbon
Basil Hayden
Lexington
Rebel Yell Reserve
Corsair
Bird Dog 10 Year
Old Taylor
Kentucky Gentleman
Old Crow
the dude10
AG
Your question probably would have been more well received had you left out the part about the secondary market and just said buy it cuz it's good.

To answer your question this gets asked every few weeks it seems on this thread. If you go back a few pages you will probably find some answers as well as learn a lot more about bourbon. I read through A LOT of this thread when I first got into bourbon and it was the jumping off point for me to learn the majority of my current bourbon knowledge. You will learn by following this thread or reading back what is hot in bourbon right now, new releases, if the poster enjoyed it or if it's worth the amount being charged. I really can't think of a better place to go for all things bourbon
RK
AG
Vade281 said:

Naveronski said:

TX Bourbon
Basil Hayden
Lexington
Rebel Yell Reserve
Corsair
Bird Dog 10 Year
Old Taylor
Kentucky Gentleman
Old Crow

I'll pay a premium for KY Gentleman, Deluxe or Tavern.
Fall92
AG
Naveronski said:

Yeah Is there a list anywhere of "bottles that are good under $40/50/60"? Or "if you find this on the shelf, buy it for the secondary market"?
I suggest you ask any Spec's employee for a good bourbon recommendation.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Naveronski
AG
the dude10 said:

Your question probably would have been more well received had you left out the part about the secondary market and just said buy it cuz it's good.

To answer your question this gets asked every few weeks it seems on this thread. If you go back a few pages you will probably find some answers as well as learn a lot more about bourbon. I read through A LOT of this thread when I first got into bourbon and it was the jumping off point for me to learn the majority of my current bourbon knowledge. You will learn by following this thread or reading back what is hot in bourbon right now, new releases, if the poster enjoyed it or if it's worth the amount being charged. I really can't think of a better place to go for all things bourbon

That's fair.

My questions are because since I started reading this thread, there have been several posts for bourbon under a specific price. Since it's asked so often, why not make a list of recommendations, and people can easily read that instead of asking again.

Same with the secondary market. There is discussion above about groups to join on Facebook for it.

The righteous indignation is silly.
Naveronski
AG
aggiemike89 said:

Need some help. A friend of mine needs a bottle to give a buddy for his 50th birthday. He knows that he's going to have to pay secondary prices. He asked me to help him find one. I'm thinking a JEF 20 or a Pappiez 20 or 23. Since FB shut those secondary markets down, do you guys know where i can get him a bottle of any of those listed above?

Secondary markets are evil, starting this morning.
Naveronski
AG
third coast.. said:

There are still plenty of secondary groups

And they're evil, apparently.
Post removed:
by user
RK
AG
prolly also the guy that walks in and buys all the .22lr and 5.56...
First Page Last Page
Page 410 of 1111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.